ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles

Didn’t think you were crushed, but both Mirer and myself thought his playing weight needed to be 300 plus, as per his and the coaches goal. But shout out to you for never wavering in your belief his athleticism and upper body strength/power would more than compensate for playing “light” as a tackle. Freeman stated that Wagner elevated his game during the Spring, and continued his development during the summer, and was surprisingly elevated to first string at the onset of Fall practice. Just hope this is real and not coach speak of encouragement, which we’ve seen a lot of over the years. Regardless, his upside compared to Baker is immense.
Weight wise he is considered light for the position but I absolutely guarantee he is much stronger than guys 30-40 pounds heavier. His core strength is off the charts. Lower half power is freakish.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Didn’t think you were crushed, but both Mirer and myself thought his playing weight needed to be 300 plus, as per his and the coaches goal. But shout out to you for never wavering in your belief his athleticism and upper body strength/power would more than compensate for playing “light” as a tackle. Freeman stated that Wagner elevated his game during the Spring, and continued his development during the summer, and was surprisingly elevated to first string at the onset of Fall practice. Just hope this is real and not coach speak of encouragement, which we’ve seen a lot of over the years. Regardless, his upside compared to Baker is immense.
Agree on the coach speak. Marcus Freeman tends to talk up everyone, and that's fine.

Is Wagner gonna be an NFL Tackle?

Let’s see how good he is.. I hope real good. But tosh is pretty bad so it’s not a lock he’s going to be really good

Let’s see how good he is.. I hope real good. But tosh is pretty bad so it’s not a lock he’s going to be really good
He's got the height, length. athleticism, natural strength. No reason to think he won't be an NFL guy

He's got the height, length. athleticism, natural strength. No reason to think he won't be an NFL guy
The average weight, across the entire league for an NFL OL guy, is 312 pounds.

Last edited:
Wagner does not have the height or size. He’s like 6’4 which is short for a tackle. He does have long arms and elite strength and mobility

Wagner does not have the height or size. He’s like 6’4 which is short for a tackle. He does have long arms and elite strength and mobility
He's listed at 6'6, 290 on our Fall roster. If he's as talented as people say he is, I could see him making the NFL. But he'd probably have to figure out a way to get to 300 lbs and stay there.

Starting ND tackles usually make the NFL. A possible 3 year starter at tackle from ND is making the NFL

Agree, but possibly at center like hainsey unless he gets a lot bigger
Regardless of the position, if he's a 3 year starter he's going to play in the NFL.

He has 2.5 more years to put on weight, he'll be fine

We've had multiple OL get drafted highly who were between 306 and 308

Regardless of the position, if he's a 3 year starter he's going to play in the NFL.

I agree with you, nfl tackles are big boys in today’s game so it will be fun to see how he develops.

I am simply curious, after two full years in college and nearly 21-years-old, why Aamil Wagner is still at 290.

His last official height check his senior year was 6’4…. He doesn’t look 6’6 in photos or videos and would make more sense why he’s only 290
Eric Hansen on Rivals, two days ago observing practice, said Aamil Wagner is 6-6, and described Wagner as "lean."

That's good enough for me. Hansen doesn't bullshit anyone.

Here we are, myself included, running with the fact Wagner apparently has beat out Baker for starting RT, and already speculating a successful career in the NFL. Agree with Nasty we might want to wait and see how he performs over the season; and then we’re still going to have an interesting battle brewing next year with Jagusah and Wagner and Lambert, et al.

I am simply curious, after two full years in college and nearly 21-years-old, why Aamil Wagner is still at 290.
He has a smaller frame and came in at 258 lbs. He still has 2.5 years left to be at a weight a bunch of our NFL OL weighed in at

Here we are, myself included, running with the fact Wagner apparently has beat out Baker for starting RT, and already speculating a successful career in the NFL. Agree with Nasty we might want to wait and see how he performs over the season; and then we’re still going to have an interesting battle brewing next year with Jagusah and Wagner and Lambert, et al.
Telx-

What do you think about maybe going with Lambert and Wagner at the Tackle spots, Schrauth and Jagusah at Guard, Craig at C?

Could be an elite group in 25.

He has a smaller frame and came in at 258 lbs. He still has 2.5 years left to be at a weight a bunch of our NFL OL weighed in at
According to the Google the smallest tackle in the NFL last season was Kelvin Beachum at 6’3” 303# … I see no reason why a 20 year old 6’6” large framed lean guy can’t add 20# of bulk if he wanted to, but I’d think strength and speed at 300 are worth more than 20 more lbs., especially when facing college players

Telx-

What do you think about maybe going with Lambert and Wagner at the Tackle spots, Schrauth and Jagusah at Guard, Craig at C?

Also, Sullivan absher sounds to be coming on strong at guard. Doubt he wins the spot this year but could be promising for the future

If jagusah and Wagner become all that lambert probably is starting tackle at one of the spots in 26

Not this year. Doesn't mean he can't be next year
Read the same regarding Blake Fisher moving to guard. When you are 6-7 330 and start at LT for Notre Dame, color me skeptical that Jagusah will be a guard in 2025.

Read the same regarding Blake Fisher moving to guard. When you are 6-7 330 and start at LT for Notre Dame, color me skeptical that Jagusah will be a guard in 2025.
Didn't say he would but it is possible. That's where he played last year until bowl season

Also, Sullivan absher sounds to be coming on strong at guard. Doubt he wins the spot this year but could be promising for the future

If jagusah and Wagner become all that lambert probably is starting tackle at one of the spots in 26
Hope they give Absher a real chance to win the job in camp. Probably unlikely but hope he gets time there during the season and maybe he can take over later in the year

Hope they give Absher a real chance to win the job in camp. Probably unlikely but hope he gets time there during the season and maybe he can take over later in the year
I want to see how absher moves in a game before I start thinking he can take over spindler or Coogan. Spindler played well in the spring game coming off injury so I hope he wins spot and Coogan becomes the Swiss Army knife backup, and learns center spot too.

I want to see how absher moves in a game before I start thinking he can take over spindler or Coogan. Spindler played well in the spring game coming off injury so I hope he wins spot and Coogan becomes the Swiss Army knife backup, and learns center spot too.
He played center to start his career here. Absher moves better than both of those.

I was hoping to hear Rocco has looked great in camp but it's kind of mixed right now and still a battle

Telx-

Possible as Jagasuh played guard in high school until his senior year, but I think highly unlikely. My first thought is we are damn fortunate to have this kind of talent fighting for starting positions. We haven’t seen Lambert play one snap yet against college competition, and we haven’t seen whether he’s any good at pass blocking as he comes from a run oriented offense. But, if he proves to be elite as speculated, I always thought his natural position was going to be left tackle; but I think he gets groomed for this by either playing RT during Jagusah’s third (likely last) year, or being his primary backup. I don’t see Lambert sitting for two years. So in my mind, he competes against Wagner both this year and next year.
If Rocco wins the LG this year, I think he tries for the NFL next year, and Absher would be my favorite to start at LG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT