ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles

I met Joe Schmidt. He showed me the scars from both FB surgeries outside a restaurant. Shoulder and knee. Humble, gracious guy. Just a good dude.

I’m thankful Jack Kiser returned.

If you aren’t, that’s your problem.
Didn't say they werent "good dudes", ND needs big athletic FAST LBs

Hypothetical: Denbrock dials up an offensive game plan heavy on run pass options, and designed QB runs; and we’re having good success nullifying TA&M’s defensive pressure, opening up our passing attack, etc…. Leonard gets knocked out with a slight concussion, but can’t Return, and it’s late in the 2nd qtr and we lead 14-7. I know Angeli is the safe choice and he has earned it; but is he the best choice given the success of our game plan and the abilities of Carr and Minchey? Hope this remains hypothetical for the entire season, but….
Great hypothetical. Angeli is probably best-suited to continue in that situation (if we’re talking about QB runs) because of his combination of size, speed, and game experience compared to Minchey and Carr. I know Carr is talented, but I just don’t know about Game 1 in that situation.

The coaches have the rest of camp to see it differently though.

Reactions: NDinNJ
You can possibly beat A&M on the road with Angeli due to his time in the program and some good experience. I don't see Carr or Minchey playing their first college real plays and handling that well. So it was critical to have a good plan B for A&M game.

I hope Carr starts taking backup reps more as season goes on.
Agree.

If Riley Leonard goes down in game 1, I will be very surprised if CJ Carr is the QB leading this team at TAM. And as I stated above, based on what I watched in the bowl game last December, I believe Steve Angeli will be named the backup QB for 2024.
I believe Angeli will be the backup for Game 1 vs A & M. With N Illinois, Purdue, and Miami (OH), the next games, Angeli, Minchey, Carr should have a chance to get game opportunities.
After game 4 the depth chart might change?

If we had a qb better than Book in 18 n 20, who knows? We were fine in those seasons but not in the playoffs
If Notre Dame had better personnel, a better starting 22 across the board, who knows, maybe Notre Dame beats Clemson or Alabama.

If ND recruited kids who did not have to attend class, who major in the NFL, maybe ND beats Clemson or Alabama.

Again. Who knows.

If Notre Dame had better personnel, a better starting 22 across the board, who knows, maybe Notre Dame beats Clemson or Alabama.

If ND recruited kids who did not have to attend class, who major in the NFL, maybe ND beats Clemson or Alabama.

Again. Who knows.
That's such a gross exaggeration and an insult to a lot of kids who do indeed attend classes all over the country. I've been to a lot of those places in my time and it's just inaccurate and a long standing lazy excuse many ND fans use when the on field results don't match our expectations. Time to put it to rest.

If we had a qb better than Book in 18 n 20, who knows? We were fine in those seasons but not in the playoffs
Ski, first reaction was no QB in the country could have been the difference maker in the Clemson route, but absolutely in the Alabama loss. But, then again, in today’s college football, elite QBs tend to make good teams great, and both the 18 and 20 Notre Dame teams were good. But to your point, I agree we have more young talented QBs chomping at the bit to play than we’ve had in a long time, and I agree that one or both of these should skip over Angeli, even though Angeli has shown to be a damn good QB. I just happen to believe that both Minchey and Carr bring more upside to the table. Carr in particular was impressive as hell in the Spring game, but I’m not willing to dismiss Minchey as quickly as others here. It’s going to be really interesting to see how Denbrock sees each in his Offensive schemes.

That's such a gross exaggeration and an insult to a lot of kids who do indeed attend classes all over the country. I've been to a lot of those places in my time and it's just inaccurate and a long standing lazy excuse many ND fans use when the on field results don't match our expectations. Time to put it to rest.
QB Stetson Bennett spent 6 years in college, won two National championships at Georgia, and never graduated.

That would never happen at Notre Dame.

Ski, first reaction was no QB in the country could have been the difference maker in the Clemson route, but absolutely in the Alabama loss. But, then again, in today’s college football, elite QBs tend to make good teams great, and both the 18 and 20 Notre Dame teams were good. But to your point, I agree we have more young talented QBs chomping at the bit to play than we’ve had in a long time, and I agree that one or both of these should skip over Angeli, even though Angeli has shown to be a damn good QB. I just happen to believe that both Minchey and Carr bring more upside to the table. Carr in particular was impressive as hell in the Spring game, but I’m not willing to dismiss Minchey as quickly as others here. It’s going to be really interesting to see how Denbrock sees each in his Offensive schemes.
I want to see Carr n minchey early in our big lead easy games But of course, Angeli will be number 2 after fall camp. But maybe, just maybe Angeli gets dropped in depth chart. That’s what should happen

QB Stetson Bennett spent 6 years in college, won two National championships at Georgia, and never graduated.

That would never happen at Notre Dame.
You don't think there have been numerous players at Notre Dame who exhausted their eligibility without graduating ?

I want to see Carr n minchey early in our big lead easy games But of course, Angeli will be number 2 after fall camp. But maybe, just maybe Angeli gets dropped in depth chart. That’s what should happen
Should ? Why ? If he's #2 it's because he's earned it.

He's probably going to get drafted late and make an NFL roster

In terms of straight line speed, I think he is first or second on the team among LBs
Doubt it. ND doesn't need LBs making tackles 5-7 yds downfield. If you like that great, ND can do better.

Doubt it. ND doesn't need LBs making tackles 5-7 yds downfield. If you like that great, ND can do better.
Notre Dame isn't Ohio St. They're not Georgia. Recruiting NFL Rounds 1-2-3 level LB'ers is far far easier at those places, where you can major in the NFL if you choose, not take school seriously if you choose.

Frankly, I like the ND LB room for 2024. A lot.

Not always the case. Coaches sometimes go the safe route, not who the best player is
It's not always who's the most talented, it's about who executes the requirements of their position best given all the relevant circumstances. You don't earn your spot based on recruiting ranking coming out of high school.

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
A lot of schools now have majors where attending class can be rare, video recordings, etc.

There are Players at every school that take class seriously, nds big issue is they don’t have any easier majors like a Duke has.

Also, you have to be on track or graduate in 4 at ND

It's not always who's the most talented, it's about who executes the requirements of their position best given all the relevant circumstances. You don't earn your spot based on recruiting ranking coming out of high school.
No, a lot of times is coaches just going with the safer older route instead of going with the more talented player

Was Michael Carmody and Tosh Baker better than Joe Alt in 2021. Nope. They both played in front of him, stunk it up. They both had to get injured for him to play. That's how a lot of coaches are

Why did it take injuries for Schrauth and Craig to get a chance to play last year? They went the veteran route. Schrauth and Craig were better in 3 games last year than those 3 were all season

There's countless examples of this. Newsflash, coaches don't always get it right

Reactions: Chitown11

Again. Who knows.
Not sure about Alabama, but Clemson actually has a very high graduation rate - right up there with schools like ND and Stanford. I learned that recently, when listening to an interview of Dabo on SiriusXM.

But Book had a great career, but the opponent had a future 1st round pick at QB in both of those games. So the opponent had the edge at QB.

No, a lot of times is coaches just going with the safer older route instead of going with the more talented player

Was Michael Carmody and Tosh Baker better than Joe Alt in 2021. Nope. They both played in front of him, stunk it up. They both had to get injured for him to play. That's how a lot of coaches are

Why did it take injuries for Schrauth and Craig to get a chance to play last year? They went the veteran route. Schrauth and Craig were better in 3 games last year than those 3 were all season

There's countless examples of this. Newsflash, coaches don't always get it right
Carmody and Baker are good examples of your point, but Schrauth not so much. Despite all the high expectations of him coming into last Fall, he got surprisingly beat out by Rocco because he frankly wasn’t ready. To Echos point, Schrauth was not assignment correct and seemed a bit overwhelmed; not physically but mentally. He used much of the season to figure it out and then shined when given the opportunity in the last three games. Execution and being able to handle the “moment” are critical considerations, and much more so at QB. Sometimes hard to judge without being thrown into the fire.

Carmody and Baker are good examples of your point, but Schrauth not so much. Despite all the high expectations of him coming into last Fall, he got surprisingly beat out by Rocco because he frankly wasn’t ready. To Echos point, Schrauth was not assignment correct and seemed a bit overwhelmed; not physically but mentally. He used much of the season to figure it out and then shined when given the opportunity in the last three games. Execution and being able to handle the “moment” are critical considerations, and much more so at QB. Sometimes hard to judge without being thrown into the fire.
Handling the moment applies to coaching too……see 10 men on the field debacle!

Reactions: Telx1
Not sure about Alabama, but Clemson actually has a very high graduation rate - right up there with schools like ND and Stanford. I learned that recently, when listening to an interview of Dabo on SiriusXM.

But Book had a great career, but the opponent had a future 1st round pick at QB in both of those games. So the opponent had the edge at QB.
The opponents had advantages all over the field.

Yeah I'm not buying it. He wasn't "ready" or "assignment correct" for 9 games but by game 10 he suddenly our best interior OL

Nope. Maybe he wasn't ready game 1 but you play him throughout and ge would have taken over much sooner

Not buying the narrative that he wasn't ready at all for 9 games and then by game 10 he's the best interior OL. You'll have to do better than that

Same with Craig too

Yeah I'm not buying it. He wasn't "ready" or "assignment correct" for 9 games but by game 10 he suddenly our best interior OL

Nope. Maybe he wasn't ready game 1 but you play him throughout and ge would have taken over much sooner

Not buying the narrative that he wasn't ready at all for 9 games and then by game 10 he's the best interior OL. You'll have to do better than that

Same with Craig too
according to echoboy, coaches ALWAYS right and NEVER make mistakes. Too often than not, ND coaches( especially the bk era) side on the older safer players as opposed to the upside younger players.

Same with Craig too
No one has ever suggested he wasn’t ready for nine games and then all of a sudden, he was in game ten. The narrative has always been it was a process of continuous improvement on his part. Schrauth had 25 snaps against Louisville vs Rocco’s 43, in the seventh game of the season, and didn’t win the job when given that opportunity.

Reactions: FightingIrish44

Same with Craig too
The more obvious one was Craig over zeke… zeke was far worse than our guards … Craig comes in at Clemson and played really well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT