ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles

according to echoboy, coaches ALWAYS right and NEVER make mistakes. Too often than not, ND coaches( especially the bk era) side on the older safer players as opposed to the upside younger players.
It’s far easier to coach the farther you are away from the field.

I was a critic of Zeke’s selection to start two seasons ago, but thought Coogan was our weakest OL last season.
Center//Guard play in 2023, across the board, to put it lightly, was overall underwhelming.

I want to see Carr n minchey early in our big lead easy games But of course, Angeli will be number 2 after fall camp. But maybe, just maybe Angeli gets dropped in depth chart. That’s what should happen
Whatever you say Coach. 🙄

Denbrock called out Wagner as someone that has improved a ton and needs to continue that. Sounds like it’s Wagner spot at rt if he continues same trajectory.

Weird comment to understand meaning but he said raridon needs to stay healthy and have his mind in a good spot. Interesting if raridon take a huge step forward or if he has too much mental scars from injuries and Flanagan takes his spot.

Thanks...that means Kiser is the best of the bunch and going to be the leader of the lb corps. 😜
Not even close. Im surprised because you are such a great evaluator of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Tell us again how great BVG is as a DC?

Denbrock called out Wagner as someone that has improved a ton and needs to continue that. Sounds like it’s Wagner spot at rt if he continues same trajectory.

Weird comment to understand meaning but he said raridon needs to stay healthy and have his mind in a good spot. Interesting if raridon take a huge step forward or if he has too much mental scars from injuries and Flanagan takes his spot.
If you're making the call today, Day 1 of camp, who's your starting RT?

I'm sad for Raridon. Injuries aren't fair. Raridon was gonna play on Sundays. I hope he's 100% and gets to his ceiling. The guy is a game changer in the passing game when healthy. An absolute weapon.

Also- what's your take on the G spot that's up for grabs? Rocco or Coogan? Is there someone else who could emerge? Pendleton? Absher? Chan?

I'm sad for Raridon. Injuries aren't fair. Raridon was gonna play on Sundays. I hope he's 100% and gets to his ceiling. The guy is a game changer in the passing game when healthy. An absolute weapon.

Also- what's your take on the G spot that's up for grabs? Rocco or Coogan? Is there someone else who could emerge? Pendleton? Absher? Chan?
IF they're even (wagner and Baker), wagner leaving with the starting spot. So much more upside than Tosh (despite tosh's size). Tosh just wasn't to keep his nimbleness as he gained weight in college and he never got that powerful.

Raridon clearly played tight last year, he needs to loosen up and play mentally free or he'll get passed over when Evans is back. It will be Evans and Flanagan.

Chan isn't seeing time anytime soon or if ever. Pendleton has a shot to play guard/center at some point but I don't see it this year. I would expect Absher to be LT back up.

Rocco to me is just a little bit better than Coogan, but Rocco is coming off a significant injury (although he did look good in the spring game). I'm rooting for Rocco as I think he's much better in the run game, and him and jagusah good really create some holes.

IF they're even (wagner and Baker), wagner leaving with the starting spot. So much more upside than Tosh (despite tosh's size). Tosh just wasn't to keep his nimbleness as he gained weight in college and he never got that powerful.

Raridon clearly played tight last year, he needs to loosen up and play mentally free or he'll get passed over when Evans is back. It will be Evans and Flanagan.

Chan isn't seeing time anytime soon or if ever. Pendleton has a shot to play guard/center at some point but I don't see it this year. I would expect Absher to be LT back up.

Rocco to me is just a little bit better than Coogan, but Rocco is coming off a significant injury (although he did look good in the spring game). I'm rooting for Rocco as I think he's much better in the run game, and him and jagusah good really create some holes.
IMO Wagner will start. Even at a playing weight of 290.

IMO Wagner will start. Even at a playing weight of 290.
Freeman said as of now Wagner is the starter

Battles are really who starts at 2nd Corner, 2nd safety, 1 or 2 LB spots, LT, and the WR spots

I was crushed throughout the offseason for saying Wagners weight wasn't an issue and that he was going to start

He's a good player and may be our best tackle this year. Lot of talent

Battles are really who starts at 2nd Corner, 2nd safety, 1 or 2 LB spots, LT, and the WR spots
There is no battle at LT.

I think the other spots will be pretty easily decided

J

Kiser, Bowen, Sneed are the starting LB’ers.

Ausberry and the freshman kid will play.

Going to put my predictions for who I think wins the position battles and wanted to see what others are thinking. This is only for the beginning of the year, not who takes over during the season

1. Wagner wins the RT job. Hearing good things from ND reports about Aamil. Higher upside

2. Spindler wins the LG job. Bigger stronger and nastier than Coogan. I give Rocco the nod

3. Collins wins the boundary WR job. Thomas will play all 3 spots and play a lot but Collins gets the start over him

4. Gray wins the field CB job. Mickey will play a ton but Gray is too good not to be on the field

Any other battles or thoughts?
Without seeing the players on the field, it is impossible to make informed predictions. I think this is your wish list of who you want to start. Not sure why Jayden Thomas wouldn't start? He has been the most consistent receiver at ND and was only sidelined due to some injuries. We haven't even seen Collins play. I think there will be an interesting rotation at wideout because Harrison sounds too good not to get on the field to go along with Greathouse and Faison. Whether it is Mickey or Gray, I'm curious if the other finds a starting spot at nickel?

Without seeing the players on the field, it is impossible to make informed predictions. I think this is your wish list of who you want to start. Not sure why Jayden Thomas wouldn't start? He has been the most consistent receiver at ND and was only sidelined due to some injuries. We haven't even seen Collins play. I think there will be an interesting rotation at wideout because Harrison sounds too good not to get on the field to go along with Greathouse and Faison. Whether it is Mickey or Gray, I'm curious if the other finds a starting spot at nickel?
Based on spring, reports from summer and who I think are the better players

Yes we've seen Collins play. He's played for 3 seasons at Clemson

Thomas is always hurt but I like him when he's healthy. He'll be in the rotation

Clark is going to start at nickel

Based on Day 1, Wagner has taken the reins of RT. Read that he played every snap today with the first group and excelled. Looks still to be 6’6” and 290, but sounds as though coaches are comfortable that he can play, and even dominate at that weight. Always noted for having really strong arms and powerful first punch, and sounds like he is practicing with a lot of confidence and instinctive knowledge of what is required. Really encouraging development!

Collins has had better years playing than Thomas and Collins has had worse qb play

Thomas does look slimmed down and moving good. So if he can stay healthy he’ll play a lot

Reactions: echowaker
Collins has had better years playing than Thomas and Collins has had worse qb play

Thomas does look slimmed down and moving good. So if he can stay healthy he’ll play a lot
You think Drew Pyne's better than DJU? Those were their QBs in 2022.

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
Based on Day 1, Wagner has taken the reins of RT. Read that he played every snap today with the first group and excelled. Looks still to be 6’6” and 290, but sounds as though coaches are comfortable that he can play, and even dominate at that weight. Always noted for having really strong arms and powerful first punch, and sounds like he is practicing with a lot of confidence and instinctive knowledge of what is required. Really encouraging development!
Outstanding news Telx. Figure out the G position, and the OL is ready to go.

Last edited:
Ever so slightly. They were both average. Dj has/had more potential and has improved
DJU's way more talented. Actually, Clemson had the more talented QB last year, too. Not saying they were better, just more talented. But Thomas has played well for us IMO, when he's been healthy. He and Collins should both play a lot this year.

DJU's way more talented. Actually, Clemson had the more talented QB last year, too. Not saying they were better, just more talented. But Thomas has played well for us IMO, when he's been healthy. He and Collins should both play a lot this year.
Klubnik is no where near the passer Hartman is
Like 125 vs 160 qb rating

But yea dj is way more talented than pyne. Dj was just terrible in 2022

Klubnik is no where near the passer Hartman is
Like 125 vs 160 qb rating

But yea dj is way more talented than pyne. Dj was just terrible in 2022
Klubnik was a 5 star recruit; he's got more upside. Obviously, he hasn't put it all together yet, though. They're hoping he will this year.

Klubnik was a 5 star recruit; he's got more upside. Obviously, he hasn't put it all together yet, though. They're hoping he will this year.
The point is Collins had worse qb play than Thomas has, and Collins has put up more productivity

The point is Collins had worse qb play than Thomas has, and Collins has put up more productivity
Has he been more productive per game? Not sure. Thomas has only played one and a half seasons. But I'm just glad we have a lot more depth at receiver this year.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It’s impossible to figure out
Hope Rudolph decides pretty quickly on this. Given our lack of experience, we need the starting five to practice together as much as possible. Coordination and communication and knowing the traits of the guy(s) playing next to you are critical to good OL play. I hope Rocco wins this competition soon and decidedly.

Hope Rudolph decides pretty quickly on this. Given our lack of experience, we need the starting five to practice together as much as possible. Coordination and communication and knowing the traits of the guy(s) playing next to you are critical to good OL play. I hope Rocco wins this competition soon and decidedly.
I hope the best player wins the competition, and according to reports, neither will win decidedly.

Reactions: Kelso86
I was crushed throughout the offseason for saying Wagners weight wasn't an issue and that he was going to start

He's a good player and may be our best tackle this year. Lot of talent
Didn’t think you were crushed, but both Mirer and myself thought his playing weight needed to be 300 plus, as per his and the coaches goal. But shout out to you for never wavering in your belief his athleticism and upper body strength/power would more than compensate for playing “light” as a tackle. Freeman stated that Wagner elevated his game during the Spring, and continued his development during the summer, and was surprisingly elevated to first string at the onset of Fall practice. Just hope this is real and not coach speak of encouragement, which we’ve seen a lot of over the years. Regardless, his upside compared to Baker is immense.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT