ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

The OL was pretty good last year IMO. Against Ohio State and Clemson, we were running the ball well with Estime. We got away from that too much. Against Louisville, turnovers were really the biggest problem - 5 of them. Most of the other games, we scored a lot of points. We had 9 blowout wins.
IMO, collectively over 12 games, the OL in 2023 struggled more than the group shined.

Especially the interior of the OL.

Good OL talk gets me charged up.

I hate getting ahead of myself here, but I'm starting to really wonder what they do in 25?

Sounds like Lambert will be ready and pushing for a spot in that top 5. Maybe Jagusah goes to G, while Lambert and Wagner man the Tackle spots.

The 25 line could be: Lambert, Shrauth, Craig, Jagusah, Wagner. Incredible talent. A veteran group too.

That would be a great line for Carr to play with.

Good OL talk gets me charged up.

I hate getting ahead of myself here, but I'm starting to really wonder what they do in 25?

Sounds like Lambert will be ready and pushing for a spot in that top 5. Maybe Jagusah goes to G, while Lambert and Wagner man the Tackle spots.

The 25 line could be: Lambert, Shrauth, Craig, Jagusah, Wagner. Incredible talent. A veteran group too.

That would be a great line for Carr to play with.
Same with Steve Angeli.

Steve saw CJ Carr check in last semester, watched Riley Leonard arrive, and transferred nowhere.

Reactions: IrishMike409
He looked 290 in the spring. Everyone at practice said he looked bigger than last year. People are making a bigger deal about his weight than needs to be

If he's getting stronger in the weight room and keeps improving his technique he'll be fine

I would be happy if Lambert won the job based on him being ready to go because he has the most talent of the 3. But don't think it is realistic especially early in the season
You previously said the guide listed him as 282 for the Spring game, and implied his new reported weight was a gain, not a loss as reported. But we disagree as to how big he looked when standing next to the other OL. He looked 280 to my eye; and if the guide listed his weight correctly, then a current weight of 290 is encouraging.
Why has Absher fallen off our collective radar for the RT position? I know he is listed as the two deep at LT, but curious why he isn’t talked about, or written about, as in competition for the RT opportunity?

IMO, collectively over 12 games, the OL in 2023 struggled more than the group shined.

Especially the interior of the OL.
And yet Estime had one of the best seasons by an ND RB in years. But I think the weakest link was probably Correll - he was a bit undersized. And he's gone. So hopefully the interior will be better this year.

Reactions: Get Nasty
And yet Estime had one of the best seasons by an ND RB in years. But I think the weakest link was probably Correll - he was a bit undersized. And he's gone. So hopefully the interior will be better this year.
The guard play in 2023 was not that dynamic as well.

Agree with both of you guys! If Riley is the guy the NFL guys were so high on, the guy who single-handedly beat Clemson and had ND on the ropes before the injury, we could be very special. Golden with another year back in CFB and his system in place, along with a seasoned OC in Denbrock makes me very optimistic about this team. Yes, the OL is the big question, but get a win vs. A&M and they'll have time to figure it out.

Where is BODI when he might actually be right?!
Leonard still needs to develop more as a passer, though. He's certainly not a finished product yet. A lot of his best games (like against Clemson), his best plays were with his legs, not his arm.

You previously said the guide listed him as 282 for the Spring game, and implied his new reported weight was a gain, not a loss as reported. But we disagree as to how big he looked when standing next to the other OL. He looked 280 to my eye; and if the guide listed his weight correctly, then a current weight of 290 is encouraging.
Why has Absher fallen off our collective radar for the RT position? I know he is listed as the two deep at LT, but curious why he isn’t talked about, or written about, as in competition for the RT opportunity?
I didn't imply he gained weight. That's what the guide said. He said in the spring he was over 290. Now the guide says 290. I expect he'll be around 295 for camp which will be fine

He looked bigger than 280 in the spring for sure. Much bigger in the upper body than last year. People that cover the team said the same. No way was he 280

Because the other 2 are probably ahead of him.

Let the debate continue as to Wagner’s weight and ability to take charge of the RT position. He weighed in at 292 for Spring and weighed in at 290 for Summer. And this is while trying hard to gain weight. Meanwhile true freshman Lambert gained 28 and reported in at 318. Beginning to think the real battle for rt will be Lambert vs Baker, with Baker getting the nod to start the season. There were questions about Wagner’s frame and ability to gain the right kind of weight to play RT when he committed to ND. Great feet and lateral movement, very powerful arms, the skill to be a very good RT, and yet very light for the position in today’s game. To me, the critical question is whether he could maintain that weight throughout the season, and I suspect the answer is a resounding no way.
I've said it before and said it again he is not making weight. Even on a weight plan it's near impossible to go through summer workouts and camp and gain the type of weight he needs. To much cardio in the workouts. At 290 he could be playing at closer to 275 by mid season. You are spot on telx just because he gets close to weight right before the season, there is almost zero chance he can hold it during a season with starter snaps. The amount of calories hes be ingesting to deal with the snaps, his metabolism not being settled and repairing wear and tear on his muscles is astronomical. He's really another year in the weight program away, but he may be forced in of baker struggles.

I’d like to agree, but I don’t. I think Coogan and Rocco played average at best last year. One of them is going to start, and one has lost their job to Schrauth. Hope Rocco earns the starting job, and I hope the year experience has elevated his game. The Spring game seemed to suggest just that; but the lg is definitely a question mark. I tend to think what we saw of Craig and Schrauth at the end of the season suggests each is an upgrade to last years starters at C and RG. Jagusah was not as good as I expected in the Bowl game, nor the Spring game. He needs game experience, and the question is how many games before he starts showing consistent good play. So, tons of potential, but I think we have questions at LT, LG and RT that won’t be answered until games are played.
Of course there are questions. It does take time to function as a unit. That said there is an embarrassment of riches up front. Rudolph and company will find the 5 that mesh best. Growing pains are inevitable. What you see at A&M will likely be far different than what you see at USC. Seamless transitions on the o line rarely occur when you have major changes. Expecting otherwise isn't realistic. There are always " concerns " when young players get their first opportunity at meaningful playing time. Concerned ? Sure. Worried ? Not me.

Reactions: Kelso86
He looked 290 in the spring. Everyone at practice said he looked bigger than last year. People are making a bigger deal about his weight than needs to be

If he's getting stronger in the weight room and keeps improving his technique he'll be fine

I would be happy if Lambert won the job based on him being ready to go because he has the most talent of the 3. But don't think it is realistic especially early in the season
The guy has incredible core strength. He's never gonna be a 320 pounder. He's way more powerful at 290 than most guys 20 or 30 pounds heavier. The frame is fine. I would kill for his metabolism. To put the shot at over 60 feet with his length and leanness takes remarkable core strength.

The guy has incredible core strength. He's never gonna be a 320 pounder. He's way more powerful at 290 than most guys 20 or 30 pounds heavier. The frame is fine. I would kill for his metabolism. To put the shot at over 60 feet with his length and leanness takes remarkable core strength.
You aren't wrong. You can't play ol on strength alone though. Just not possible. He won't be 320 but he needs to be a stable 300 in an ideal world. I believe telx and I are in agreement that the issue is he's gaining weight hard for the last 6 months. That won't be stable weight come this fall, meaning he's going to be losing weight fairly quickly....we don't need him at 320 but we can't play him at 275. He shouldn't be in this spot. In an ideal world Fisher would still be here and he'd have another year to put on stable weight. But here we are and tosh didn't wrap the spot up

My argument is simple. I think Lambert is a better prospect than Wagner and likely could pass him this year due to the weight issue. I believe the plan next year will be for jagusah (assuming he is what they think he is) will be in his last year. Lambert would be rt with Wagner as the backup for both. The next year lambert moves to Lt and Wagner is likely rt starter if not passed up.

I'm waiting to see next year, but I also feel that coach Rudolph want bigger tackles as his prototype that can be taught to pull and move vs athletic guys that can be brought up to weight. This will be interesting to watch as his recruiting classes get their identity set

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT