ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LSU fed up?

Notre Dame followers TYPICALLY like their winning coaches but not their losing ones. And ALWAYS in retrospect. Fair enough.

Brian Kelly, though, presented ND people with a unique conflict. He won 74% of his games but, given his personality, was deemed unlikeable anyway, and, because he didn’t win enough IMPORTANT games, not liking him, DESPITE ALL THE OTHER GAMES HE WON, was seen as JUSTIFIED.

Is he some kind of outside-the-lines, force-of-nature outlier? No. He’s a methodical, business-like professional. But he IS interested in the game. Just NOT SO MUCH THE PLAYERS. He likes running systems and playing FOOTBALL CHESS. Plus, according to Saban, he's the last REAL STRATEGIST. So, GOD FORBID some player should mess up what Brian Kelly has deemed on paper MUST HAPPEN. He’ll take your head off and has.

Most senior people I worked for were some version of this or WORSE. So, none of that affects my perception of Kelly in the least.

As for football driving Meyer and Saban more than Kelly, maybe they’re just BETTER COACHES. Plus, they certainly worked in more ACCOMMODATING ENVIRONMENTS. Saban would NEVER coach at ND and Meyer actually SAID NO. Kelly at least TRIED. Problem was, HE NEVER DRANK THE ND KOOL-AID, say, like Holtz or Freeman. The “THIS IS THE MOST PROFOUNDLY EXCEPTIONAL PLACE” routine.

Maybe they believe it or maybe it’s even true, but certain ND fans will NEVER FORGIVE Kelly for not VOICING THOSE SENTIMENTS.

Re his portion of the current ACC streak, Kelly could only play the schedule they gave him and to be fair, Stanford was still a viable opponent several years into his tenure and more than capable of beating ND which on a couple of occasions it did. Plus, when ND won – particularly those games in 12 and 14 in South Bend – those were NAILBITING DOG FIGHTS. Then there was the crushing 2015 loss that may have kept ND out of the playoffs.

Stanford was still GOOD.

But, yes, if he doesn’t win an NC at LSU, Kelly’s legacy will take a hit, but then won’t Lincoln Riley’s, Jim Harbaugh’s and Ryan Day’s if they don’t win one as well? As for Les Miles, HE WAS NO FLUKE. He won 77% of his games at LSU – same as Lou Holtz at ND – plus one and ALMOST two NC’s – same as Holtz at ND. Does anyone think Lou Holtz was a fluke? Not on THIS BOARD.

Oh, and Miles also went 9-6 in bowl games.

One could argue, I suppose, that Orgeron got lucky, but that doesn’t necessarily bear CAREFUL SCRUTINY either. Had he not gone 10-25 at Ole Miss, his career numbers would be much better. As it was, he was 6-2 at USC as interim coach – one of those losses was to Kelly – and 51-20 at LSU, a 72% winning percentage, including a 15-0 NC campaign. He faltered badly his last two years, but still, he owes no one an apology.

KELLY JUST DIDN’T GIVE ND FANS WHAT THEY WANTED. THEY DIDN’T LIKE HIM TO BEGIN WITH, AND WHEN HE LEFT, IT WAS EASY TO CAST HIM AS A VILLEIN. FOR HIS PART, HE SEEMED HAPPY TO GO. TO ME, KELLY AND ND WAS JUST ANOTHER BAD MARRIAGE. AND YET, HE REVIVIED THE PROGRAM. FOR THAT, I WISH HIM THE BEST.
Again, Freeman is currently winning at a 73.6% clip, and he's recruiting BETTER than Kelly. I see nothing but upside with Freeman as he gains more experience.

Kelly is stuck in his ways, with nothing to learn or change. Great coaches adapt, Kelly as we've seen for the better part of 11 seasons at ND does not even though he'll tell you he does.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Yes...BK's condescending, smirky demeanor....thumb in the nose ridiculing of ND....relishing in the "my ship came in" moment....now the new fans are lighting the torches and sharpening up the pitchforks....already. Has Kelly even unpacked all of his moving boxes yet?
Not yet, no.

Not yet, no.
What Is Wrong With You Courteney Cox GIF by Friends

Reactions: Ndapolis1
That's such a pathetic link. It's like they took 3 posts from an asylum like this one.

But anyway....yes. LSU is obviously not going to have the patience ND did, and Kelly himself should know that considering the reasons he's given for going there.

He's got until Year 4 to have a season coming close to winning the championship. Starting next year "make the playoffs" isn't going to be good enough.

A nice long drive here culminating in a TD will
settle this crowd down.

Again, Freeman is currently winning at a 73.6% clip, and he's recruiting BETTER than Kelly. I see nothing but upside with Freeman as he gains more experience.

Kelly is stuck in his ways, with nothing to learn or change. Great coaches adapt, Kelly as we've seen for the better part of 11 seasons at ND does not even though he'll tell you he does.

Rookie HC and his Rookie OC

So not ready for Prime Time

Here's a heads up to the man from the " Garden State "

This guy isn't in the same Solar System as Brian Kelly and if you cannot see that I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah 54 wins in his last 5 years .
Zero major bowl wins, zero championships. How many times did we see games like last night vs Louisville during Kelly's tenure? Quite a few debacles.

Rookie HC and his Rookie OC

So not ready for Prime Time

Here's a heads up to the man from the " Garden State "

This guy isn't in the same Solar System as Brian Kelly and if you cannot see that I don't know what to tell you.
👍

Zero major bowl wins, zero championships. How many times did we see games like last night vs Louisville during Kelly's tenure? Quite a few debacles.
In fairness, Kelly had us vying for three National Championships in a 1pm year period.

In the Saban and Dabo years very few coaches were able to win the NC

And his record over the last five years was outstanding

Hey genuis

Let's toss in his 10 wins at LSU last year and you can tell us how many HC's in the country have won 64 in the last 6 years at the Power 5 level.

Gotta be dozens of them right ?

Hey genuis

Let's toss in his 10 wins at LSU last year and you can tell us how many HC's in the country have won 64 in the last 6 years at the Power 5 level.

Gotta be dozens of them right ?
So I guess you're happy with 10 win seasons and nothing to show for it. 😂 You are a fool if you even thought BK was going to win anything significant had he stayed. He had 11 years to try and failed. 4-8 in year 7 of his tenure and I guess you are ok with that. Melt down games on the road in prime time vs an average Miami, Michigan, Stanford teams. I could go on and on about the disappointments the last 11 years.

I would have preferred they went after Fickell, but they hired Freeman. ND has him for at least the next 3 seasons and there is nothing you, I or anyone can do about it.

Next hire, admin needs to get their heads out of their asses and hire a championship level coach.

In fairness, Kelly had us vying for three National Championships in a 1pm year period.

In the Saban and Dabo years very few coaches were able to win the NC

And his record over the last five years was outstanding
I understand that, but he wasn't even close in any of those 3 games. He can't win big games, there is a reason he's something like 4-15 vs top 10 teams

Maybe focusing on the game in 2012 instead of interviewing for the eagles he could have made it more competitive. The guy was a sleaze bag and he'll be run out of LSU in 2-3 years I'll put money on that.

Brian Kelly finished 44-6 with two 4-team CFB Playoff berths from 2018-2021. The transition to 13-7 the next 20 games is tough for many fans.
Yea and BK was 16-10 in his first two years, 16-10 in years 4 and 5, and 4-8 in year 7, so let's not just take a snippet of his tenure. Let's look at the entire body of work. Good but not great.

Yea and BK was 16-10 in his first two years, 16-10 in years 4 and 5, and 4-8 in year 7, so let's not just take a snippet of his tenure. Let's look at the entire body of work. Good but not great.
I worry about Golson.

The dude disappeared.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
Brian Kelly finished 44-6 with two 4-team CFB Playoff berths from 2018-2021. The transition to 13-7 the next 20 games is tough for many fans.
You really have no business cheering for ND at this point. Just go be an LSU fan. It’s a fun school. And in 2 years when Kelly is fired and then hired by UVA, be a UVA fan.

I worry about Golson.

The dude disappeared.
I was in the Fickell camp, but once they made the hire, I'm going to support Freeman and give him several seasons because there is nothing any of us could do about it. Hopefully the incoming AD is an upgrade to Jack as it pertains to hiring.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I was in the Fickell camp, but once they made the hire, I'm going to support Freeman and give him several seasons because there is nothing any of us could do about it. Hopefully the incoming AD is an upgrade to Jack as it pertains to hiring.
I support Freeman as well. Simply put, I also supported Brian Kelly, unlike others here.

Your support of Freeman is lukewarm. Your support for Kelly was spread eagled and gagged
Except for his departure, I am a huge of the Brian Kelly coaching style, which is more on the side of not being a player's coach. I am not a fan of the player friendly Marcus Freeman style, that said, Freeman does bring things to the program that I like, and I will support it.

He inherited a shitpile-----Freeman didn't.

You're just one of those people that is never wrong. Thank God I'm retired and don't have to deal with your ilk anymore.

As to football-----you don't know if the ball has air or feathers in it if you compare Marcus Freeman with Brian Kelly.

You're just one of those people that is never wrong. Thank God I'm retired and don't have to deal with your ilk anymore.

As to football-----you don't know if the ball has air or feathers in it if you compare Marcus Freeman with Brian Kelly.
Agreed. Brian Kelly inherited a dumpster fire of a program, that's why Charlie Weis was fired....and handed Marcus Freeman a program that was much much improved.

That's why 13-7 simply isn't good enough.

I support Freeman as well. Simply put, I also supported Brian Kelly, unlike others here.
I supported him up until the Miami debacle in 2017 followed up by getting owned at home vs an average Stanford team. Those were the nails in the coffin for me, I knew after that season he would never win anything significant. 10 win seasons are nice, but at the end of the day it's championships that are remembered. I supported him 7 years even through the 4-8 season.
Freeman is in year 2 and people are having melt downs on this forum.

This is the toughest schedule ND has had in over 7 years, USC is back to being a top program, playing multiple top 25 teams this season.

Not making excuses for Freeman, but let's see how it plays out because there is nothing any of us can do about it.

Reactions: BGI User 756

No he didn't, He went 12-0 in year three with that shitpile.

Please explain 4-8 in year 7, Miami debacle in 2017, Stanford debacle in 2017. lol you are a tool. Go follow LSU loser.

Freeman inherited a sh1t pile of a QB and WR room. The two most critical positions in today's game. You know nothing about football you are a loser with a loser mentality.

Please explain 4-8 in year 7, Miami debacle in 2017, Stanford debacle in 2017. lol you are a tool. Go follow LSU loser.

Freeman inherited a sh1t pile of a QB and WR room. The two most critical positions in today's game. You know nothing about football you are a loser with a loser mentality.
Please explain 13-7 after 44-6.

Please explain 13-7 after 44-6.
After you explain 9-4 in 2013, 8-5 in 2014, 4-8 in 2016, 2017 Miami, 2017 Stanford. You sure as hell had a lot of patience for Kelly suffering through those
4, 5, and 8 loss seasons.

Last edited:

QB room? There's a transfer portal now. Sam Hartman plays QB, and the offense this season, especially the last 3 games, is inadequate at best. Hell, Hartman is better than Brandon Wimbush, Ian Book, or Jack Coan, all the QB starters during the 44-6 run from 2018-2021.

13-7 after 44-6 is a tough one to explain.

QB room? There's a transfer portal now. Sam Hartman plays QB, and the offense this season, especially the last 3 games, is inadequate at best. Hell, Hartman is better than Brandon Wimbush, Ian Book, or Jack Coan, all the QB starters during the 44-6 run from 2018-2021.

13-7 after 44-6 is a tough one to explain.
What good is a QB if you have WR's that can't get separation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT