ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Official ND @ GT Game Thread

You never call them out after first down in the under 2 when you are on D especially after positive run

I know that it's common practice to call a timeout late in a half when you think you can hold the opponent to a three and out and maybe get one more score, but against rush heavy teams like Georgia Tech I don't think it's a good idea. They would have run out of time before being able to set up for a field goal try, which we're lucky they muffed.

Last edited:
It was an idiotic timeout and we got lucky, you know it… don’t be a blind homer
I agreed with the decision before. Be aggressive

Anything Freeman does you want to nitpick because you dislike him. It's okay. Try to be objective

Be aggressive. He's shown all year the same thing. I like it
I’m all for aggressive but they had a positive gain first down… you can’t be aggressive with timeouts then not be aggressive with the D play call to stop them.. we were in zone prevent a few times

I think ND is purposefully snapping ball with ~5ish secs on play clock. They are trying to keep the vaunted GT offense off the field lol
Didn't you say that F- has their offense ranked 15th in the country lol. You don't believe your own rankings now?

How many points does Tenn have?

I’m all for aggressive but they had a positive gain first down… you can’t be aggressive with timeouts then not be aggressive with the D play call to stop them.. we were in zone prevent a few times
4 yard gain. They were at their own 24

I like whe he is aggressive

You don’t call timeouts for the offense during their two minute drive. Unless you stop them short on a 3rd down that is. WTF are you talking about?
We did it multiple times last year and we've done it this year

Teams do it all the time. If you trust your D you want the ball back. Esp after we just scored 2x

Really you never see that lol?

Didn't you say that F- has their offense ranked 15th in the country lol. You don't believe your own rankings now?

How many points does Tenn have?
What does Tennessee have to do with anything? How is playing one of the best teams in one of the best conferences in a battle of top 5 & top 10 teams (Alabama vs Tennessee) at all the same as NDs performance vs Georgia Tech?

We did it multiple times last year and we've done it this year

Teams do it all the time. If you trust your D you want the ball back. Esp after we just scored 2x

Really you never see that lol?

After a first down gain? Tell me which game we did that as I have them recorded and will rewatch. I’m not saying I haven’t seen it, but it’s rare and it’s STUPID. It almost contributed to us giving up 3 points.

What does Tennessee have to do with anything? How is playing one of the best teams in one of the best conferences in a battle of top 5 & top 10 teams (Alabama vs Tennessee) at all the same as NDs performance vs Georgia Tech?
Alabamas Defense is not good this year.

So yes it matters. Boring football Tenn offense has played the last 4 weeks now. But you won't mention that

After a first down gain? Tell me which game we did that as I have them recorded and will rewatch. I’m not saying I haven’t seen it, but it’s rare and it’s STUPID. It almost contributed to us giving up 3 points.
It's not rare or stupid. We did it and scored at least 3x with Hartman last year and we've done it this year. No clue what game. You'd have to go back and watch

It's very common

They gained 4 yards and we're at the 24. Love the decision

I dont have a problem with the TO call. It shows confidence in your team. Yes, you want to be smart and strategic, but you also can't call games scared of what might happen. It's a tough balance.

Reactions: Golson5
I've thought it's been good in the past as well. I did not feel like this was a good time to try it though, tight game and they had a 2nd and 6. Not a 2nd and 12. Just my opinion, I'm not getting 8 million a year to make those decisions.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
It shouldn't matter when you call timeouts against a mid Georgia Tech team missing their best player on offense (King) and defense (Efford)

I dont have a problem with the TO call. It shows confidence in your team. Yes, you want to be smart and strategic, but you also can't call games scared of what might happen. It's a tough balance.

It’s not being scared to not call a TO when the other offense had a positive play during their two minute drive. It’s strategic. Now if the were thrown for a loss or had a penalty that backs them up, sure. Not when it was a positive play though and the offenses only real problem is their own clock management

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Outside of some nice individual playmaking on part of Top 100 talent J Love .. all i see is a bunch of average players producing average plays on both teams

ACC football is a snooze fest and im including ND in that group as well
That 7-0 Alabama vs Tenn game is just FULL of exciting plays lol

If you recall, ND is missing several good players.
Georgia Tech is a 5-2 ACC team with a mid 40s ranking (but they obtained that ranking with their two best players active). Those players are not active in this game. Its just a really mediocre team in a bad P4 conference and ND could only outscore them by 7 over the course of two quarters.
Yeah, the Milroe INT in the red zone was just amazing and really shows BAMA’s dominance
Alabama and Tennessee are two top 5-10 teams (points, yards, plays, etc. are expected to be difficult to come by in that kind of game).

ND vs the vaunted 70th ranked GT defense missing their best player is something else entirely

It’s about to get funky in the Georgia Dome, Chase. Get a stop here and we blown them out! They’re about to quit… just need a reason to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT