ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly Bryant to transfer...wow

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
Didn't expect that one. I guess that is the drawback of playing the hot new recruit...and no this is not like Book/Wimbush. Bryant took his team to the CFB Playoffs and deserved better imo. I guess it's a good problem to have.

Didn't expect that one. I guess that is the drawback of playing the hot new recruit...and no this is not like Book/Wimbush. Bryant took his team to the CFB Playoffs and deserved better imo. I guess it's a good problem to have.

It’s pretty much inevitable once a reasonably talented starter loses his spot to a superior youngster, at the QB position.

I’m not sure what you mean by “he deserved better” though?

On the radio yesterday they rattled off a bunch of guys who have transferred since the season started, and, with most teams having played four games now, they expect more this week. Interestingly, everyone they listed was a skill position player, not a single lineman on the list.

What "better" could Dabo have done? Kept him as starter when he believes the guy on the bench gives him a better chance to win? Dabo gave Bryant four starts, and every chance to outplay Lawrence, he just didn't do it.

It’s pretty much inevitable once a reasonably talented starter loses his spot to a superior youngster, at the QB position.

I’m not sure what you mean by “he deserved better” though?
Unlike BW (who I'm a staunch supporter of) Bryant's play allowed Clemson to be successful and get to the CFB Playoffs. You could essential say last year L's to Stanford and Miami were result of bad QB play. Dabo has had a 5 star QB in Hunter Thompson xfer out and I'm sure he wasn't gonna let Trevor Lawrence get to that point.

Kelly will find a good home. It's his decision. His life. His career. I hope a degree will be part of his decision.

Unlike BW (who I'm a staunch supporter of) Bryant's play allowed Clemson to be successful and get to the CFB Playoffs. You could essential say last year L's to Stanford and Miami were result of bad QB play. Dabo has had a 5 star QB in Hunter Thompson xfer out and I'm sure he wasn't gonna let Trevor Lawrence get to that point.

But Bryant’s play want enough to beat Alabama.

Unlike NDs situation, the Clemson youngster (Lawrence) is actually more talented with more upside than the older Clemson player (Bryant)

That’s not the case with ND’s situation.

Unlike NDs situation, the Clemson youngster (Lawrence) is actually more talented with more upside than the older Clemson player (Bryant). That’s not the case with ND’s situation.

That's just a matter of opinion, and Kelly's is the only opinion that counts. "Talent" is a very nebulous term.

Reactions: 88ND
That's just a matter of opinion, and Kelly's is the only opinion that counts. "Talent" is a very nebulous term.

Not really.

Wimbush is more talented, he’s just not more ready to play from either a technique or a mentality standpoint.

But Wimbush is undoubtedly the more physically talented player, which differentiates the ND QB switch from the Clemson switch.

Bryant completed 66 percent of his pass attempts and averaged 8.6 yards per throw. Lawrence completed 63.9 percent of his attempts and averaged 9.8 yards per throw. Bryant amassed 610 yards of total offense. Lawrence compiled 631.Bryant directed eight scoring drives. He scored four touchdowns himself. Lawrence steered 15 scoring drives. He threw nine touchdowns, including four Saturday at Georgia Tech.

They only have two other QBs (both FR) on the roster. IDK if they are even on scholarship.

I do not think it would be a wise move for Wimbush to do this. He is not Kelly Bryant. He really needs to think about it. I personally believe he would be better suited with a position change after the season. He IS NOT an NFL QB. But he could very well be a wideout.

I do not think it would be a wise move for Wimbush to do this. He is not Kelly Bryant. He really needs to think about it. I personally believe he would be better suited with a position change after the season. He IS NOT an NFL QB. But he could very well be a wideout.

I think if BW is ready to graduate this spring he'll move on.

Reactions: mirer03
I guess Bryant isn't happy about losing his job. So much for being a team player. They have a great chance for the Playoff, but now they'll be very thin at QB.

Reactions: Pennick4
The things he struggles with can be coached, accuracy and footwork.. Is he a natural? Absolutely not, at least not in this offense but I think he still belongs at the QB position in the right system where he can let loose and gain confidence. He gains some confidence, the guy could be unbeatable. He has never looked comfortable, maybe a different system or coach will be the answer.

He's 100% right.. BW is clearly the more talented kid with a bigger upside, exactly why BK's opinion has been to start him and force the issue even the Book is more accurate and a better manager. BK was forced to go with Book after subpar play from BW.Faster, stronger, better arm strength. He has more natural skill which is the definition of talent, but he hasnt figured out between his ears.

Reactions: FriedmanIP
How true. If he gets a season ending injury Clemson is screwed.

and?

and Bryant guessed wrong. Neither Johnson nor Bryant could fend off TL becoming the starter. Lawrence is probably the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. You are not going to keep 5 star talent on the bench. Nor can you hold on to a ‘benched’ starter for long. Real players wanna play.

Last edited:
"He deserves better": this is why when kids are taught everyone wins they are terribly misled. In the real world the strong survive. With a 75 man squad everyone is not going to play equally or is everyone going to start.

The best of your best start and play or the coach looks for another job.

"He deserves better": this is why when kids are taught everyone wins they are terribly misled. In the real world the strong survive. With a 75 man squad everyone is not going to play equally or is everyone going to start.

The best of your best start and play or the coach looks for another job.

Clemson played everyone of the guys in the last game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT