ADVERTISEMENT

So far so good?

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Thinking about developments since the Stanford game, man, it started bad, but Marcus has managed the last four weeks very well, imo.

1. Transfer Portal -- B+ (replaced young WRs with experience if not total wow factor, got a solid DL and some help at DB and another proven kicker, this goes to an A+ is Riley is as good as the NFL people think he is!)
  2. Recruiting Returning Players -- A- (which goes to an A, if X returns!) Cross, Kiser, Mills and.......?
  3. Recruiting Class -- A- (top ten class with the most top 125 players since 2013, no defections, a top 5 offensive class -- top 5 QB - and our best defensive recruit since Hamilton.)
  4. Coaching (staff) -- A- (still not sure what happened with Chansi who could recruit, but Brown is a solid hire and Dembrock (top offense in CFB) is a triple if not a HR -- Marcus has surrounded himself with seasoned OC and DC, and people he trusts who will tell him the truth, to his face. )
Going forward: win the bowl game, find our next LT (and RT) -- see a breakout performance from one of: Love, Price, KK or Colzie -- and hold the line on needed guys who might transfer after the game.

I am an easy grader but I haven't felt this positive about the program in a long long time.

Thinking about developments since the Stanford game, man, it started bad, but Marcus has managed the last four weeks very well, imo.

1. Transfer Portal -- B+ (replaced young WRs with experience if not total wow factor, got a solid DL and some help at DB and another proven kicker, this goes to an A+ is Riley is as good as the NFL people think he is!)
  2. Recruiting Returning Players -- A- (which goes to an A, if X returns!) Cross, Kiser, Mills and.......?
  3. Recruiting Class -- A- (top ten class with the most top 125 players since 2013, no defections, a top 5 offensive class -- top 5 QB - and our best defensive recruit since Hamilton.)
  4. Coaching (staff) -- A- (still not sure what happened with Chansi who could recruit, but Brown is a solid hire and Dembrock (top offense in CFB) is a triple if not a HR -- Marcus has surrounded himself with seasoned OC and DC, and people he trusts who will tell him the truth, to his face. )
Going forward: win the bowl game, find our next LT (and RT) -- see a breakout performance from one of: Love, Price, KK or Colzie -- and hold the line on needed guys who might transfer after the game.

I am an easy grader but I haven't felt this positive about the program in a long long time.
I was extremely positive from 2018 through the 2021 seasons, and I continue to be.

Why certain posters discount two 4-team CFB Playoff berths in the last 6 seasons confuses me.

If Riley Leonard turns out to be as good as we think he can be, I can realistically see ND competing for a national championship in 2024. I haven't felt that way for decades. In past years I always thought we had a puncher's chance, but in those moments when I was being honest about it, I knew it would have been a miracle to win it all. We had some pieces in place, but we were never good enough at the QB position. I am hoping we have finally turned the page on that problem with Riley Leonard, and with CJ Carr and Deuce Knight in the pipeline behind him. Things are looking up.

"Going forward: win the bowl game, find our next LT (and RT) -- see a breakout performance from one of: Love, Price, KK or Colzie -- and hold the line on needed guys who might transfer after the game."

Love/Price -- absolutely.
KK Smith -- not sure what he has (yet).
Colzie -- just stay healthy.

I think we have the potential for a NC quality defense. We need Watts and Golden to return, and we need a disruptive force from our two defensive end positions. I think we get both.

Too many questions regarding our OL to suggest the offense is NC quality. We might start one of the most inexperienced Offensive Lines in ND history. Craig Will absolutely start, and he has something like two starts to his resume. I fully expect Schrauth to start, but again, he Has started something like two games in substitution for Rocco when he went down with his knee injury. The other guard position will likely be a battle between Rocco and Coogan and Pendleton. Rocco and Coogan each have a year of starting under their belts, and Pendleton none. Jagusah is our anticipated starting left tackle, who has zero starts. Right tackle will be a battle between Baker with few starts and poor performance under his belt, vs Wagner with no starts and very limited mop duty, vs Lambert who is a true freshman with incredible upside. We have some really talented guys battling for these positions, just not a lot of experience. The Sun Bowl tomorrow should Give us some insight. I do think we have really talented guys at the skill positions with enough experience to excel.

Reactions: IrishMike409
The three star players he has taken for the most part have offers from the heavy weights. There is no way the likes of Bodi Kalhoon is a a three star player with offers from FSU, Tenn, UNC and the likes of that crowd. I have said this before, MF got stuck with two OC’s that were average. I think Denbrock will do wonders for ND and let’s hope Gooden sticks around. The other coordinators have been definitely an upgrade. It appears the new administration is getting serious about football. Riley is not a grad transfer; therefore, more evidence administration is going in another direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT