ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Ranked 8th

mmboys07

All Star
Oct 3, 2004
Based on the last 5 years of signed players and recruiting rankings the Irish have the 8th best combination of talent in the country. I know, I know, let it go. But, just how badly have they been coached???

Reactions: NIN Irish
separate offense from defense? do you have that?
then factor in defensive position groups

you might see it differently.

and yes, the coaching has been wanting, for sure.

couple issues with looking at NDs "collective" talent over the last 5 years. They've had an abnormal amount of attrition (suspensions, defections, academic issues, transfers, etc.)

And also what persev alluded to:

All of NDs talent is at a couple of position groups with huge gaping holes on defense ... especially DBs and DLs.

Can you imagine how bad NDs classes would look in recent years if they couldn't take anymore TE & OL?

Chase...I don't agree that we have gaping holes at DB and DL. Watkins and Vaughn will be the best corner tandem we've started in years, and with talented guys like Love and Pride and Studstill and Elliot all gaining valuable playing experience, I expect this to be an area of strength. We recruited DE very well last year and they gained some valuable playing experience, but not as much as I had hoped, and we recruited well with this year's interior DL. I do agree there are lots of question marks with the collection of upperclass DL. Will Tillery mature and show the level of commitment to football to reach his considerable potential? Will Cage overcome his concussion issues and return to form? Will the new scheme and coaches finally facilitate the development and contributions of guys like Bonner? Will Tranguil and/or Perry prove dominant in the new Rover position? Not arguing that we will field a dominant DL, just not conceding that we have gaping holes here. I don't think we'll know one way or the other until next Fall.

Reactions: Bodizephax
and, does it matter? the past? when you already know the results?
all that is to be learned is, if you keep doing the same things, expect more of the same results.
For 3-4 recruiting sessions some have noted the defense was heading to calamity;
Yea, we warned 'the sky is falling!' Guess what? IT FELL!

On this years commit list probable future starters are:
Lugg
Wright
Holmes

next possibles, but not at the probable level:
Hainsey
Ewell
Banks

after that most are 'projects' or for backup role/depth.

1 defensive prospect as probable; no elite defensive prospect in the class.

Defense is a continuing problem. As the defense erodes, it will inevitably take the offense with it.

Something has to happen to excite defensive elite prospects. It is all in how recruits envision the direction of the team.

(and if you want to pumpsunshine, 1st explain, 4-8; where the D was the 8)

Last edited:
Chase...I don't agree that we have gaping holes at DB and DL. Watkins and Vaughn will be the best corner tandem we've started in years, and with talented guys like Love and Pride and Studstill and Elliot all gaining valuable playing experience, I expect this to be an area of strength. We recruited DE very well last year and they gained some valuable playing experience, but not as much as I had hoped, and we recruited well with this year's interior DL. I do agree there are lots of question marks with the collection of upperclass DL. Will Tillery mature and show the level of commitment to football to reach his considerable potential? Will Cage overcome his concussion issues and return to form? Will the new scheme and coaches finally facilitate the development and contributions of guys like Bonner? Will Tranguil and/or Perry prove dominant in the new Rover position? Not arguing that we will field a dominant DL, just not conceding that we have gaping holes here. I don't think we'll know one way or the other until next Fall.
Another question you can ask is will Shaun Crawford be healthy or will he ever play another significant down? It's a shame what happened to him

Reactions: perseverare
NDIrish...agree! I didn't list Crawford as one of our DB assets because there is such a huge question as to the extent and timing of his recovery. It's a really difficult injury to recover from, but there are professional basketball players who have, just not familiar with DBs who have done so.

Reactions: Bodizephax
all that is to be learned is, if you keep doing the same things, expect more of the same results.
For 3-4 recruiting sessions some have noted the defense was heading to calamity;

Lugg
Wright
Holmes

Hainsey
Ewell
Banks

Defense is a continuing problem. As the defense erodes, it will inevitably take the offense with it.

Something has to happen to excite defensive elite prospects. It is all in how recruits envision the direction of the team.

Disagree that there isn't an elite defensive prospect in the class. Darnell Ewell is a 6'3.5, 310lb man child who I'm going out on a limb in saying will be better than Lewis Nix. He's in incredible shape and hasn't even stepped in a college weight room.

There is a reason why he had more scholarship offers than any DT, save one, in the nation. He'll me a monster at NG and if ND can snag Mustipher and hold onto Ademilola... Ewell / Mustipher and Amosa / Ademilola may vety well be the best interior DL 2-deep at ND in years.

Lugg
Wright
Holmes

Hainsey
Ewell
Banks

(and if you want to pumpsunshine, 1st explain, 4-8; where the D was the 8)
More inane analysis from GM Clueless.

Reactions: NIN Irish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT