ADVERTISEMENT

New Offensive Coordinator

Brian Van Gorder has my vote! the guy averaged like 40+ per game! let’s go get him! make it happen!
Yes but he becomes an OC by calling the other teams D while ND has the ball. ND once again revolutionizes football!

Reactions: d1042
Sorry but this post is ridiculous.

Tommy is doing everything he can with limited talent. There are zero issues with the gamelan. Like I keep saying, my biggest and only issue with Tommy is who he is recruiting at QB.

Pyne would not start on any top 25 team right now. He is not a power five talent.
Zero issues with the game plan? How can there not be? 14 points against Stanford and there's no issues with the game plan?

Reactions: tbone3114
It starts at the top. Why would a good OC want to work for a rookie HC who is looking more lost every game.
Freeman was supposed to be a DC and the DC is getting worse. This isn't going anywhere until Swarbrick admits he screwed the pooch and fixes the whole thing. We are going to have a terrible recruiting class for at least the next two years because of this fiasco. This has the making of Willingham part II.

ND must have thrown a lot of money at Freeman and he must have a really high opinion of himself. After what Kelly did, we needed an experienced HC. Freeman should have been smart enough to recognize that the odds were he was going to fail miserably. I find it hard to believe that his friends in coaching didn't tell him to run away very fast. This disaster may ruin his life for 10plus years.
Even if you're right, Freeman is not going anywhere for at least 2 years. Everyone else on the staff is on notice, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm a talented OC and I see a million dollar a year offer and the type of talent Freeman is bringing in. With the exception of just a few schools. I'd take that job. ND has brought in many good assistants before and they can do it again. The rookie HFC excuse ain't gonna fly.

Zero issues with the game plan? How can there not be? 14 points against Stanford and there's no issues with the game plan?
Player issues as much as coach issues.

Pyne missed big passes that cost ND points.

The penalty that took points off the board.

The fumble at the end.

All player issues

Player issues as much as coach issues.

Pyne missed big passes that cost ND points.

The penalty that took points off the board.

The fumble at the end.

All player issues
Football players for $10, please.

Nobody good will work for freeman while he’s in training

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
"Nobody good will work for freeman while he’s in training"

Outside of Rees (who Jack S kept prior to promoting Freeman) -- did not Freeman hire pretty much his whole staff? Did I miss something here?
That was before his Otc performances

For God's Sakes. Start Angeli. Dont those 2 idiots realize that Pyne is weak?

If we do hire a home run offensive coordinator that is not afraid to develop and play freshman, and Buchner can start next season and stay healthy, it's possible Freeman can have a rebound year. We ease into the schedule next season before Ohio State and we have a bye week before USC. We should be 3-0 (playing an FCS team, Navy, and Central Michigan) easily headed into the Ohio State week. While I don't have a lot of faith in Freeman, I do think an elite OC could really juice up the offense and recruiting.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about Longo but I can’t see him leaving UNC. Hartline is not an OC. He’s a PCG. I see him as a real possibility.

Is he Lincoln Riley’s brother?
Yep. He's a beast. While at SMU for 2 years, his offense was ranked top 15 both years. Then he took the job at TCU in 2021 and they've been very good.

He'd be a good one to get in the pipeline for HC someday if he ends up being a legit HC somewhere. I have no idea, but I bet he's an ace recruiter too. Just the name alone would excite a lot of QB's. It wouldn't hurt to have him on our side during the USC games either.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
Angeli may be worse. Our qb situation is awful
"Angeli may be worse. Our qb situation is awful"

Yes, our QB situation is awful -- but last weekend would have been a very good time to allow Angeli to get some live game reps in a game where ND was in control. That is where ND has failed for many years -- especially when Phil J was behind Book. Kelly kept Book in way too long in games where ND was in total control.
You say Angeli may be worse -- how will we/coaches find out unless he is under fire.

Reactions: Chitown11
while I’d prefer to replace Marcus, agree on Longo or Lincoln Riley’s little brother. thers the guy at wake but he’s actually got like 75th ranked running game (no thanks). Texas tech guy lame. Hartline never called a play in his life no thanks. According to google and beer poster above Riley’s brother had top 15 offense at smu back to back years and is top 5 right now at tcu, He’s good.

read an interesting article about how phil longo and al golden go back 25 years and coached together at BC, he would be a special hire

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT