ADVERTISEMENT

New Offensive Coordinator

Shakin' Down the Thunder

Posts Like A Champion
Jul 10, 2012
Rees has to go. There's no getting around that. I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone, but 14 points against Stanford and 21 against Marshall is just pathetic. He's just not getting it done on the field or the recruiting trail.

Now the question is who are you going to get that is better?
I want Dan Mullen. I think he'd be a perfect hire. Has coached AAs, Heisman winners and first round draft picks. Pay him whatever he wants. Need to copy the Saban model. He loses coordinators all the time, but then just goes out and gets the biggest name out there. He's coached at ND before, so he knows the campus and culture. He would give ND offense instant credibility and 5 star QBs would have to be interested.

If not able to get Mullen here's other guys I'd look into:
Jeff Brohm (assuming he's fired)
Phil Longo (OC at UNC)
Joe Brady (my guess is he doesn't want to coach college but he's worth a phone call)
Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah)
Chip Long (yes, I know he's not popular on this board, but I actually liked him. He was a good recruiter too)

Reactions: Kelso86
Rees was on Kelly's staff for 5 years. During those 5 years, as QB coach & OFC, ND had 54 wins. Hmmm....what's changed?
Exactly. Nobody wants to admit the obvious. No matter who Freeman brings in he’s still going to be a shitty head coach.

Reactions: Airzee23
Always funny how the real problem gets to blame all the other people.
Watch TR going to have a successful career w/Freeman gets another crack to kill the program

Th
ND won’t change a thing. The stadium was packed last night and that’s all Jack cares about
Losses like this one continue and the stadium won't be packed except for maybe the opposing teams fans

Rees has to go. There's no getting around that. I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone, but 14 points against Stanford and 21 against Marshall is just pathetic. He's just not getting it done on the field or the recruiting trail.

I want Dan Mullen. I think he'd be a perfect hire. Has coached AAs, Heisman winners and first round draft picks. Pay him whatever he wants. Need to copy the Saban model. He loses coordinators all the time, but then just goes out and gets the biggest name out there. He's coached at ND before, so he knows the campus and culture. He would give ND offense instant credibility and 5 star QBs would have to be interested.

Phil Longo (OC at UNC)
Joe Brady (my guess is he doesn't want to coach college but he's worth a phone call)
Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah)
Chip Long (yes, I know he's not popular on this board, but I actually liked him. He was a good recruiter too)
At this point...

A
N
Y
O
N
E

Stanford gave up:
10 points to Colgate
41 to USC
40 to Washington
45 to Oregon
28 to Oregon state

The ND offense is horrible.

Th

Losses like this one continue and the stadium won't be packed except for maybe the opposing teams fans
The sad fact though is that it still will be. Because even if they suck I’m still going to go to the games next year just because I love the university so much. It’s a difficult issue because while we hate the coach we love the school. It will take many many years for people to stop buying tickets and merchandise and honestly might not happen. people just have to be vocally angry, booing crowds, social media backlash, and start calling out the A.D. that’s gonna be the tipping point. but Jack is an old fart and likely won’t be around that much longer so he might not even give a damn.

we will spend all off-season speculating about how great this team will be because of the new recruits, new coordinators, and Buchner coming back. Fan bases can forget a lot in the summer. Then it will be back to the same bullshit because nothing is gonna change to any major degree without changing the head coach. this sad story has played out so many times over and over and it’s always the same result, you need a new head coach. The Frosts, Heltons, and Hokes are always given too much time because they seem like nice guys and spin a good narrative. buckle up for mediocrity at best.

Last edited:
The sad fact though is that it still will be. Because even if they suck I’m still going to go to the games next year just because I love the university so much. It’s a difficult issue because while we hate the coach we love the school. It will take many many years for people to stop buying tickets and merchandise and honestly might not happen. people just have to be vocally angry, booing crowds, social media backlash, and start calling out the A.D. that’s gonna be the tipping point. but Jack is an old fart and likely won’t be around that much longer so he might not even give a damn.

we will spend all off-season speculating about how great this team will be because of the new recruits, new coordinators, and Buchner coming back. Fan bases can forget a lot in the summer. Then it will be back to the same bullshit because nothing is gonna change to any major degree without changing the head coach. this sad story has played out so many times over and over and it’s always the same result, you need a new head coach. The Frosts, Heltons, and Hokes are always given too much time because they seem like nice guys and spin a good narrative. buckle up for mediocrity at best.

Excellent post. One that we will forever keep coming full circle to. Guys like us will keep coming from the older crowd. But younger folks wanting a spectacle will come to.

And you're right. The results don't matter much. Except to those of us who grew up accustomed to ND being a perpetual power and winner.

IN today's modern digital world, you can market and sell any type of spectacle. Similarly, the soccer World Cup will go to 48 teams in 16 groups of 3 in 2026. With so many garbage teams, basically to pull in fans from the rest of the world for their $$$.

We will never see a ND champion again. We will never see a competitive soccer WC again. But the fans will keep coming for the spectacle, entertainment, and just because they can. Marketing and circumstance can do a lot.

Reactions: IrishBeer
Excellent post. One that we will forever keep coming full circle to. Guys like us will keep coming from the older crowd. But younger folks wanting a spectacle will come to.

And you're right. The results don't matter much. Except to those of us who grew up accustomed to ND being a perpetual power and winner.

IN today's modern digital world, you can market and sell any type of spectacle. Similarly, the soccer World Cup will go to 48 teams in 16 groups of 3 in 2026. With so many garbage teams, basically to pull in fans from the rest of the world for their $$$.

We will never see a ND champion again. We will never see a competitive soccer WC again. But the fans will keep coming for the spectacle, entertainment, and just because they can. Marketing and circumstance can do a lot.
Rightfully so. Life's too short to go through that again. If you enjoy the sport wasting time on another decade of effort like yesterday is insanity.

Can't blame the guy. He probably knows better than most how in over his head Freeman is. He knows the captain is taking the ship down and all the crew with him.
He also knows that if/when Day leaves, he will get a shot at being the HC.

"Freeman will hire Brian Hartline and ruin his career"

That would be an excellent hire -- look at what he has done at OSU and the WR room -- they have, year in and out, some of the best talent in the country
I agree. I am guessing Hartline is smart enough to avoid ND.

Rees was on Kelly's staff for 5 years. During those 5 years, as QB coach & OFC, ND had 54 wins. Hmmm....what's changed?
Kelly was QB coach and OC. Just like Fickel was DC not Freeman. It's why our D has gone down hill since Lea and our offense has gone downhill since Kelly left. We have two coaches that are not good at coaching, but they resonate with younger kids and are recruiting good (for now).

He also knows that if/when Day leaves, he will get a shot at being the HC.
I think he'd have a better shot at becoming ND's head coach than OSU. If he transformed the offense at ND and stood out, he'd have a shot if Freeman can't get it going. But, I can't blame him, especially if he has a legit chance at becoming OC at OSU.

Phil Longo (OC at UNC)
Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah)
Sorry but this post is ridiculous.

Tommy is doing everything he can with limited talent. There are zero issues with the gamelan. Like I keep saying, my biggest and only issue with Tommy is who he is recruiting at QB.

Pyne would not start on any top 25 team right now. He is not a power five talent.

Tommy is doing everything he can with limited talent. There are zero issues with the gamelan. Like I keep saying, my biggest and only issue with Tommy is who he is recruiting at QB.

Pyne would not start on any top 25 team right now. He is not a power five talent.
Won't matter. Tommy Turnover is going to be Tommy Terminated.

Reactions: Chitown11

I agree about Pyne

But Rees has to take responsibility for recruiting on offense. He's the OC. We're lacking talent at qb and wr. That is on him

Tommy's dad is an NFL guy with tons of connections. Tommy will be in the NFL soon. Rather deserving or not. ND will not fire him.
I am not saying he will be an OC but he will get hired by an NFL team.

I agree about Pyne

But Rees has to take responsibility for recruiting on offense. He's the OC. We're lacking talent at qb and wr. That is on him
I agree. My biggest knock on Tommy is his recruiting.

I am not saying he will be an OC but he will get hired by an NFL team.
He may get a smaller role in the NFL and it's possible ND will part ways rather than fire him. I think he's a ND man, I hope ND would give him the opportunity to find something before firing him, and I hope he does well in the NFL.

I agree. I am guessing Hartline is smart enough to avoid ND.
Cmon. Why?

Avoid a promotion? Avoid being OC at a Top 15 program? Avoid working with a friend like Freeman?

ND is sliding, no doubt. It’s a challenging time.

But it’s not permanent.

Cmon. Why?

Avoid a promotion? Avoid being OC at a Top 15 program? Avoid working with a friend like Freeman?

ND is sliding, no doubt. It’s a challenging time.

But it’s not permanent.
I think he knows better than most that Freeman is in way over his head. OC's go down with the captain.

Phil Longo (OC at UNC)
Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah)
Yes to any of these!!! Instant improvement!

Phil Longo (OC at UNC)
Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah)
It starts at the top. Why would a good OC want to work for a rookie HC who is looking more lost every game.
Freeman was supposed to be a DC and the DC is getting worse. This isn't going anywhere until Swarbrick admits he screwed the pooch and fixes the whole thing. We are going to have a terrible recruiting class for at least the next two years because of this fiasco. This has the making of Willingham part II.

ND must have thrown a lot of money at Freeman and he must have a really high opinion of himself. After what Kelly did, we needed an experienced HC. Freeman should have been smart enough to recognize that the odds were he was going to fail miserably. I find it hard to believe that his friends in coaching didn't tell him to run away very fast. This disaster may ruin his life for 10plus years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT