ADVERTISEMENT

If ND and Pyne win out...

They will take a transfer 100 percent
QB portal transfers to Notre Dame are 100% guaranteed starters.

When you have a senior(Pyne), junior(Buchner), and sophomore(Angeli) QB on the 2023 depth chart recruited and signed by Tommy Rees, and the Tyler Buchner rehab is reportedly going well, I am not certain Marcus Freeman will bench Tyler Buchner and Drew Pyne.

Flawed argument, if the 2001 Ravens could replace Trent Dilfer with Tom Brady they would, in a hot minute, with so second thought.
WRONG....
First of all your argument is an unrealistic and immature one.

The Ravens picked Chris Redman 124 spots ahead of Brady. So no...they wouldn't have taken Brady over Dilfer because they had their chance....didn't they?

Moreover you obviously never played nor coached this game because the game isn't played on hindsight and there are many upon many dynamics playing a part in all this.

I'll play along with your cute little hindsight argument.
You act like Brady got drafted and came off the bus throwing like the greatest specimen ever to play football. Uuuhhh..no.
If Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Brady never sees the field in 2001 does he? Bledsoe who just signed a 10 year contract extension 6 months prior...got hurt in game 2 and the rest is history. Brady in his rookie and previous season of 2000 was the Patriots fourth string QB.

Let's play some more...
The Ravens were coached by Brian Billick who was hired because he was the all world offensive coordinator of the Vikings which got him the HC job in Baltimore.
Tony Banks was the starter and the offense fell right off a cliff.
Dilfer gets the call and Billick hated it. Absolutely hated it because he couldn't put up a million points a game. He started coming around because winning cures many things and that's all Dilfer did was win. He was effective and didn't give games away. Sure he had limitations but sometimes less is more.

I still don't see an astetisk beside the Ravens title saying Billick wanted it to be noted he protested his own super bowl winning season because his QB was putting up pedestrian numbers.

Billick was also difficult to play for. He was an abrasive sort and most definitely not everyone's cup of tea. As an OC he couldn't be that way but as HC he surly x100.

The point of said thread is if Pyne wins out and we're dominating most big games nobody is changing anything at the #1 back. Nor should they. As much as Rees might hate rushing the ball so much victory supersedes all.

Moreover Pyne can settle into a little niche of being effective if not asked to do too much and he could possibly do it extremely well.

It just cracks me up how some people would rather look good on offense over being successful on offense.

If Pyne and his limitations bring you victory...big victories...you'd say no thanks it wasn't pretty enough?

See it's not just Pyne here it's Rees. Sometimes certain things arise that can be a blessing in disguise. Right now it's Pyne's limitations saving Rees from himself.

We'll see where this goes going forward but right now Rees is finally on to what I screamed for after the OSU game. Power football...real power football. Teams are not built to stop that style of offense any longer.

We'll see what happens but if Pyne wins out he's your starter come opening day 2023. The QB isn't a difference maker but he's winning games. Still the ultimate goal.

We cannot win against the elites of the elites (Clemson is not that this year despite its defensive talent) this way because sooner or later, we’re going to have bad luck and we’re going to need a passing game to hedge against it.
The depth chart does suck if you're trying to run the Brian Kelly passing game.
What part of that doesn't suck?

We are NO longer playing that style of football are we?

Now we might get Pyne more work in the air against Navy and BC because we can...

But it will be back to power football in the coliseum.

The trendiness of the board is very telling and funny...

So ND can't beat an elite running power football...or an elite of an elite.

Funny how they've yet to play one of your elite of elites yet you've written them off.

All they've done is dominate Syracuse on the road.
They man handled Clemson...while this isn't a Trevor Lawrence offensive Clemson team they're still tough on defense. Didn't matter. We imposed ourselves and they couldn't prevent shit.
3rd and 8.. they know the run is coming. They know who and where.
Result...
13 yard gain.

How about this...

Enjoy us doing what we're doing and until we get stifled keep an open mind.

We've yet to get stifled being truly comitted to power football so I suggest enjoy it while it continues. You might be surprised just how successful we could be even against one of your elite of the elites.

So ND can't beat an elite running power football...or an elite of an elite.
It's funny because the only way to beat the elites if you're ND is with power running football. Kelly never could do it against the great teams.

Next year ND will have a vastly improved and experienced defense, OL, WR room (Thomas is gonna be a star and Tobias looks like a generational ND receiver), and experienced RB's with new talent and speed coming up. And hopefully a 9-1 career started 4-0 and undefeated against ranked teams. With or without Mayer back, it's a dream team.

If ND dominates rest of the way he might be convinced they have a real chance at a NC in '23. Plus NIL might impact his decision too. Crazier things have happened.

He probably would come back a legit contender for the Heisman too.
No fricking way he is coming back. 0% chance, don't fool yourself.

If ND dominates rest of the way he might be convinced they have a real chance at a NC in '23. Plus NIL might impact his decision too. Crazier things have happened.

He probably would come back a legit contender for the Heisman too.
00.00%% chance Michael Mayer returns to Notre Dame in 2023.

WRONG....

The Ravens picked Chris Redman 124 spots ahead of Brady. So no...they wouldn't have taken Brady over Dilfer because they had their chance....didn't they?

Moreover you obviously never played nor coached this game because the game isn't played on hindsight and there are many upon many dynamics playing a part in all this.

You act like Brady got drafted and came off the bus throwing like the greatest specimen ever to play football. Uuuhhh..no.
If Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Brady never sees the field in 2001 does he? Bledsoe who just signed a 10 year contract extension 6 months prior...got hurt in game 2 and the rest is history. Brady in his rookie and previous season of 2000 was the Patriots fourth string QB.

Let's play some more...
The Ravens were coached by Brian Billick who was hired because he was the all world offensive coordinator of the Vikings which got him the HC job in Baltimore.
Dilfer gets the call and Billick hated it. Absolutely hated it because he couldn't put up a million points a game. He started coming around because winning cures many things and that's all Dilfer did was win. He was effective and didn't give games away. Sure he had limitations but sometimes less is more.

I still don't see an astetisk beside the Ravens title saying Billick wanted it to be noted he protested his own super bowl winning season because his QB was putting up pedestrian numbers.

Billick was also difficult to play for. He was an abrasive sort and most definitely not everyone's cup of tea. As an OC he couldn't be that way but as HC he surly x100.

The point of said thread is if Pyne wins out and we're dominating most big games nobody is changing anything at the #1 back. Nor should they. As much as Rees might hate rushing the ball so much victory supersedes all.

Moreover Pyne can settle into a little niche of being effective if not asked to do too much and he could possibly do it extremely well.

It just cracks me up how some people would rather look good on offense over being successful on offense.

If Pyne and his limitations bring you victory...big victories...you'd say no thanks it wasn't pretty enough?

See it's not just Pyne here it's Rees. Sometimes certain things arise that can be a blessing in disguise. Right now it's Pyne's limitations saving Rees from himself.

We'll see where this goes going forward but right now Rees is finally on to what I screamed for after the OSU game. Power football...real power football. Teams are not built to stop that style of offense any longer.

We'll see what happens but if Pyne wins out he's your starter come opening day 2023. The QB isn't a difference maker but he's winning games. Still the ultimate goal.
Nope. I don’t care that they passed on him in a draft. insert a different proven QB than Brady and the answer is the same. They won *despite* Dilfer not *because* of Dilfer. Any Coach is always looking to improve at positions of weakness or mediocrity. With exception of maybe Army and Navy every team needs a passing game. Get real.

QB portal transfers to Notre Dame are 100% guaranteed starters.

When you have a senior(Pyne), junior(Buchner), and sophomore(Angeli) QB on the 2023 depth chart recruited and signed by Tommy Rees, and the Tyler Buchner rehab is reportedly going well, I am not certain Marcus Freeman will bench Tyler Buchner and Drew Pyne.
They will be taking a transfer qb

WRONG....

Let's play some more...

No he won't be the starter

It's funny because the only way to beat the elites if you're ND is with power running football. Kelly never could do it against the great teams.

Next year ND will have a vastly improved and experienced defense, OL, WR room (Thomas is gonna be a star and Tobias looks like a generational ND receiver), and experienced RB's with new talent and speed coming up. And hopefully a 9-1 career started 4-0 and undefeated against ranked teams. With or without Mayer back, it's a dream team.
NDs defense might take a small step back next year. To be determined. Depends on who we lose.

Star and generational....pump the brakes, we'll see.

We need a QB next year if we want to win a NC

NDs defense might take a small step back next year. To be determined. Depends on who we lose.

Star and generational....pump the brakes, we'll see.

We need a QB next year if we want to win a NC
You have your opinions. Great. I go by the data and the facts.

Thomas has great size and is catching everything coming his way. Star. Tobias has speed and size and is catching everything thrown his way. So far, great.

Defense has great LB's coming up and the safeties are getting great experience and are young and will be back. Golden knows how to coach.

Pyne is 6-1 as a starter and 3-0 undefeated as a starter against ranked teams.

Those are all facts. You are welcome to your opinion but that's all it is. Your opinion.

My opinion? Nobody with Pyne's undefeated record against ranked teams or overall as a starter will be available in the portal. With his record, the current team of a portal QB will keep him or he'll be in the league. Nobody benches a guy with those numbers. Nobody. No journeyman QB will have those numbers.

Reactions: Jdogg84

Thomas has great size and is catching everything coming his way. Star. Tobias has speed and size and is catching everything thrown his way. So far, great.

Defense has great LB's coming up and the safeties are getting great experience and are young and will be back. Golden knows how to coach.

Those are all facts. You are welcome to your opinion but that's all it is. Your opinion.

My opinion? Nobody with Pyne's undefeated record against ranked teams or overall as a starter will be available in the portal. With his record, the current team of a portal QB will keep him or he'll be in the league. Nobody benches a guy with those numbers. Nobody. No journeyman QB will have those numbers.
Saying someone will be a generational player and a star is 100% opinion and not fact

In 2 years J Thomas has 13 catches for 172 yards and 2tds

T Merriweather has 1 catch

On defense we are losing Foskey, J Ade, chr smith, Bracy, brown and Griffith.

We don't know if certain guys will come back yet. You may be right, that the defense improves but we just don't know yet.

And Pyne won't be our starter next year, that is a positive. The names I've read though are talented. Can we land one of those guys. That is the most important question going into next year

Joseph,Hart, Liufau, bertrand, Ju Ade. Some are go pro decisions, transfer etc. How about Botelho. Maybe he leaves if he wants to play more. We just don't know yet

Good post. I do not believe Marcus Freeman, in 2023, will bench injured starter Tyler Buchner, who has started a total of 6 quarters at QB, and senior to be Drew Pyne.

Good post. I do not believe Marcus Freeman, in 2023, will bench injured starter Tyler Buchner, who has started a total of 6 quarters at QB, and senior to be Drew Pyne.
One will have to be on the bench regardless. But ND is looking for a transfer qb and are already out there sniffing around

No way we don't add a qb from the transfer market into the mix. That's already a given

One will have to be on the bench regardless. But ND is looking for a transfer qb and are already out there sniffing around

No way we don't add a qb from the transfer market into the mix. That's already a given
Transfer QB's at Notre Dame, who has to be a graduated senior, are a guaranteed starter.

Buchner has the physical tools but has not shown the ability to run the offense effectively. We have no idea if he can read the defense and react. He hasn't played 3 games in a row since he was 14 years old. That was at least 6 years ago. He is a project at best. If Pyne wins out, which is a big if, he has shown the ability to lead his team and win. That means winning vs rivals and ranked teams. As OP says, we don't need style points. Only wins.
Not sure it’s fair to grade him on 1 full game. Our line was also pathetic the first 3.5 games. We can grade him on ability to stay healthy. That is an issue. He seems to have the size, arm and tools. Just need to see how he does with a line.

We still, like 20, need to bring in talent and experience from the portal like Coan.

In 2 years J Thomas has 13 catches for 172 yards and 2tds

T Merriweather has 1 catch
We have seen their performance. They are both gonna be great. Tobias has the size, speed, and hands to be generational. The performance we've seen make the facts.

As for the defense, Golden and MF are gonna be able to coach up the next group.

I was critical of Kelly because he couldn't get players to play out their eligibility. It was made clear here that that was the game today, and he had no options. OK, but with NIL it is again a new game today. Where Kelly may have said great, have a great career in the league, Freeman may reply to the junior player informing him he is leaving early, what? you're leaving your teammates after 3 years? You committed to me for 4 years and that's what I expect. Again, with NIL, it might work.

I expect Freeman will get the maximum from his players. That means playing all years of eligibility and with NIL, money is less of an issue.

And any QB with Drew's record isn't leaving his current team unless he's leaving for the league.

Buchner has the physical tools but has not shown the ability to run the offense effectively. We have no idea if he can read the defense and react. He hasn't played 3 games in a row since he was 14 years old. That was at least 6 years ago. He is a project at best. If Pyne wins out, which is a big if, he has shown the ability to lead his team and win. That means winning vs rivals and ranked teams. As OP says, we don't need style points. Only wins.
Tyler Buchner started at QB for 14 consecutive games as a 16/17-year-old HS junior.

And to say that Buchner has zero chance to start game 1 for ND in 2023 is IMO misguided.

Transfer QB's at Notre Dame, who has to be a graduated senior, are a guaranteed starter.
Yeah if we get some of the QBs who are being talked about, he would be the starter.

But that is no set rule. No kid is guaranteed a spot. They'll play the best guy

Not sure it’s fair to grade him on 1 full game. Our line was also pathetic the first 3.5 games. We can grade him on ability to stay healthy. That is an issue. He seems to have the size, arm and tools. Just need to see how he does with a line.

We still, like 20, need to bring in talent and experience from the portal like Coan.
1 full game in the last 7 years. How's he gonna read the defense of a P5 coach? He will be playing against the best def coordinators in the game.

Tyler Buchner started at QB for 14 consecutive games as a 16/17-year-old HS junior.

And to say that Buchner has zero chance to start game 1 for ND in 2023 is IMO misguided.
He was a freshman playing in a short bus league. I've never said zero chance. I just don't see it.

1 full game in the last 7 years. How's he gonna read the defense of a P5 coach? He will be playing against the best def coordinators in the game.
Tyler Buchner started 14 consecutive games at QB in 2019 as a HS junior.

We have seen their performance. They are both gonna be great. Tobias has the size, speed, and hands to be generational. The performance we've seen make the facts.

As for the defense, Golden and MF are gonna be able to coach up the next group.

I was critical of Kelly because he couldn't get players to play out their eligibility. It was made clear here that that was the game today, and he had no options. OK, but with NIL it is again a new game today. Where Kelly may have said great, have a great career in the league, Freeman may reply to the junior player informing him he is leaving early, what? you're leaving your teammates after 3 years? You committed to me for 4 years and that's what I expect. Again, with NIL, it might work.

I expect Freeman will get the maximum from his players. That means playing all years of eligibility and with NIL, money is less of an issue.

And any QB with Drew's record isn't leaving his current team unless he's leaving for the league.
1. That is strictly an opinion. You don't understand what a fact is obviously

2. I agree about our defensive coaching. Doesn't mean they will be better than this year. That is tbd

3. How much do you want to bet, Michael Mayer enters the draft this year? Saban, Dabo, Meyer couldn't get guys to stay. No chance MF does

4. Pyne has no nfl future. He will stay at ND next year. He loves ND and won't leave before he graduates. Now, he probably won't be the starter but he'll be on the team

It's a different game with NIL. We shall see.
No it's not. More players entered the draft last year than ever before.

Kids want to go to the league. NIL isn't keeping Mayer here. He's going to be a first rd draft pick and sign a 20 million dollar deal

Kids want to go to the league. NIL isn't keeping Mayer here. He's going to be a first rd draft pick and sign a 20 million dollar deal
And start his NFL pension.

I am far more curious if starting strong safety Brandon Joseph returns for a fifth year.

Reactions: Golson5
I will not be the least bit surprised if Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees stand pat and go with Tyler Buchner, Drew Pyne, And Steve Angeli in 2023.
If they do that, I'd hope that they make it a real 3-way competition for the job in the spring and summer. Because neither Buchner nor Pyne has done enough to cement themselves as the incumbent IMO.

Last edited:

You're probably right. But my buddy was a 5 star #1 overall player coming out of HS. Everyone, including his teammates thought he'd leave early. But he didn't. I'll admit Mayer mentioned that in talking to one of the backup TE's he was giving some advice and said it was important to follow. Then he said, "especially for next year".

So maybe you're right, but it isn't for sure. If they bring in a portal QB, he's gone for sure. That was my point.

As for Pyne in the league, his rating out of HS was incredibly accurate. Someone posted it to the board. At the end it said he'd likely be a bench player in the NFL. So, equal to Jack Coan.

Tyler Buchner started 14 consecutive games at QB in 2019 as a HS junior.
Ok, so it will be 4 years for Buchner since he started more than 2 games in a row. And he did it in the short bus league, where he was taller, bigger, and faster than anyone on the field. And his opposing DC was a HS history coach.

You're probably right. But my buddy was a 5 star #1 overall player coming out of HS. Everyone, including his teammates thought he'd leave early. But he didn't. I'll admit Mayer mentioned that in talking to one of the backup TE's he was giving some advice and said it was important to follow. Then he said, "especially for next year".

So maybe you're right, but it isn't for sure. If they bring in a portal QB, he's gone for sure. That was my point.

As for Pyne in the league, his rating out of HS was incredibly accurate. Someone posted it to the board. At the end it said he'd likely be a bench player in the NFL. So, equal to Jack Coan.
Probably wasn't a projected 1st rd pick

Pyne has zero nfl future. They do those player comps with all recruits. They don't mean anything

Ok, so it will be 4 years for Buchner since he started more than 2 games in a row. And he did it in the short bus league, where he was taller, bigger, and faster than anyone on the field. And his opposing DC was a HS history coach.
Lot of good players come from small schools

Sure...but...

The goal is winning, right?

This is actually more on Rees than the player(s)

I say again if we win out, including a possible bowl against a tough opponent...

We will have beat a tough...no no...dominated a
Syracuse team on the road...
Clemson...at home...
USC on the road and if we doninate them with power football Rees will think long and hard about what to do next.

The goal is winning, right? Or do you need style points?

If Pyne wins out and it's a formula that just works why rock the boat?
Pyne could get even more efficient at being efficiently effective.

This lies on Rees lap though.

I also say again if we go to passing all the time it won't matter who is taking the snap. The 3 yard curl and sit route can't be the primary route
"We will have beat a tough...no no...dominated a Syracuse team on the road...
Clemson...at home...
USC on the road and if we dominate them with power football Rees will think long and hard about what to do next."

you can also add to the overall resume @ NC, and a ranked at the time BYU (though, they fell off the hill a little) --

"This lies on Rees lap though"

Yea -- there is the 64K question ---

Like you said -- the goal is winning!

Nope. I don’t care that they passed on him in a draft. insert a different proven QB than Brady and the answer is the same. They won *despite* Dilfer not *because* of Dilfer. Any Coach is always looking to improve at positions of weakness or mediocrity. With exception of maybe Army and Navy every team needs a passing game. Get real.
Nobody said you don't ever have to pass but notice the final two games if you will and what Rees did.

He did NOT force passing plays like in every game prior. No no...he utilized the dominance of power football to draw them up and then he hit mayer behind the defense. Imagine that. . Mayer being open BEHIND the defeemse.

When was the last time you seen Mayer behind a defense? Syracuse game? Oh that's right we did the same scheme against Syracuse.
Before that?
Think for a sec ......
If you answered never you'd be absolutely correct.
Even with teams stressing do not let Mayer get open...when the second half arrives the back seven is leaving their responsibilities and cheating toward the LOS.

This new power football scheme is still getting it's feet wet and look what already has happened. We will have things even more polished come game time in Southern Cal.

All Pyne is doing is playing effectively from his QB position. Don't lose the game

Nobody said you don't ever have to pass but notice the final two games if you will and what Rees did.

He did NOT force passing plays like in every game prior. No no...he utilized the dominance of power football to draw them up and then he hit mayer behind the defense. Imagine that. . Mayer being open BEHIND the defeemse.

When was the last time you seen Mayer behind a defense? Syracuse game? Oh that's right we did the same scheme against Syracuse.
Before that?
Think for a sec ......
If you answered never you'd be absolutely correct.
Even with teams stressing do not let Mayer get open...when the second half arrives the back seven is leaving their responsibilities and cheating toward the LOS.

This new power football scheme is still getting it's feet wet and look what already has happened. We will have things even more polished come game time in Southern Cal.

All Pyne is doing is playing effectively from his QB position. Don't lose the game
Sorry you can’t count on blocked punts, pick 6s, and turnovers that hand you the ball in the red zone every game. That will hide a lot of offensive sins. Contrast Syracuse and Clemson with Stanford where Pyne had one of those games you are fine with, we failed to convert a 4th down from the 5 yard line and we put up 14 points and lost. There will be games where you have to count on your offense to put up points. Pyne is not a long term solution. I guess we will see what happens and maybe Pyne improves too.

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT