ADVERTISEMENT

If ND and Pyne win out...

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
If Pyne wins out he is our QB for the next 2 years.

I'm not advocating that just telling you winning is precious and if we steamroll the opposition on the ground and Pyne doesn't lose games it will be difficult to replace him.

A lot of thos QB situation is predicated on how much Rees truly does a comittment to power football.

If he keeps on like the previous two games Pyne will be the starter the rest of his eligibility.

If Rees goes back to forcing our QB to be a 300 yard passer throwing scared to fail 3 yard curl routes...Pyne won't be the QB but it won't really matter who is. The BK passing game that Rees uses is stale. Dead. Easily predictable, etc.

We will see but if we win out in dominant fashion nobody will mess with success no matter how silly 9 of 17 for 85 yards looks.

Tony Rice in 89 QBing the greatest Irish team ever was
1 of 2 for 6 yards and a score against Michigan in a #1vs#2 battle.

They don't ask how, just if.

I have been around football awhile. There is no such thing as a 3-yard curl route, it is called a hitch route. Drew Pyne is a 3rd string QB at ND. He was 3rd string last year and had ND done the right thing this off season. Which would have been to go out and get a QB out of the portal. He would have been 3rd string again.

If Drew Pyne is starting next year, it is because the 2 QB's in front of him transferred or got injured. I hope he plays well the next 3 games and Bowl. But his starting days, barring natural disaster, are finished.

I'm not advocating that just telling you winning is precious and if we steamroll the opposition on the ground and Pyne doesn't lose games it will be difficult to replace him.

A lot of thos QB situation is predicated on how much Rees truly does a comittment to power football.

If he keeps on like the previous two games Pyne will be the starter the rest of his eligibility.

If Rees goes back to forcing our QB to be a 300 yard passer throwing scared to fail 3 yard curl routes...Pyne won't be the QB but it won't really matter who is. The BK passing game that Rees uses is stale. Dead. Easily predictable, etc.

We will see but if we win out in dominant fashion nobody will mess with success no matter how silly 9 of 17 for 85 yards looks.

ND ran the Option, that is comparing apples to oranges.

Reactions: chaseball
Two problems.

Not sure if you can win out over a whole season that way. Teams will stack the box and you have to throw to keep them honest.

It will make it really difficult to recruit QBs and WRs into that type of system. No top QB or WR is buying into 9 of 17 for 85 yards.

I am not saying that we should not dominate with our OL. Pounding Clemson was great, but I think it would be difficult to do that on a consistent basis without a serious passing threat. Pyne has made some good throws, but he really has issues due to his size. He can't see over the line well and he has too many passes knocked down at the LOS. If he was 6'2", I think he would be much better.

Reactions: Telx1
If he wins out he’s 4-0 against ranked teams, which ties Tony Rice in 88 per 443.

If he is the starter next year, there’s a good chance his BFF Mayer returns for another year for a run at the NC.

• Haha
Reactions: SIhoosier26
you really think mayer returns? no way
If ND dominates rest of the way he might be convinced they have a real chance at a NC in '23. Plus NIL might impact his decision too. Crazier things have happened.

He probably would come back a legit contender for the Heisman too.

There was a quote somewhere that the only reason Mayer didnt go as a soph was because he could not. Loves ND, ready to move on.

As far as Pyne, TB will be back and will beat him again. It will be similar to 2020 where he will come in and help if TB struggles.

I just think he is too limited to be anything more than the next man up. Time will tell but he just does not throw the ball at a D1 level and also does not run that well. Smart, a gamer, good teammate but not your starter for two more years.

Reactions: Telx1
under Kelly, this would have undoubtedly been the case, but I believe Freeman is smarter than that. Only way Pyne is the starter next season is if he magically starts to throw accurately and develops a strong arm, or Rees convinces Freeman Pyne is the guy.

If it were me, and my BFF were the QB, I'd get the insurance and stay another year.

Lot's of folks will tell him, these are the good times. The league is a job.
No chance at all he comes back.

There is no reason for him to come back. Nothing to prove. Wont help his draft stock at all

No chance whatsoever

Reactions: NDinNJ
I heard the name Devin Leary thrown around as a potential transfer QB

That would be a home run and he would definitely be starting

Garrett Nussmeier might be available, out of LSU. I believe he was a top 100 Rivals recruit. Son of fairly prominent OC Doug Nussmeier. I'd like to think he'd have the grades for it, being the son of a wealthy football coach.

I would hope for and anticipate Buchner winning the job back. But, you never know, if we win out, it still might be DP. We Will have 8 scholarship RBs next year, so maybe we can stay super run heavy and just rotate them all.....

Last edited:
No chance at all he comes back.

There is no reason for him to come back. Nothing to prove. Wont help his draft stock at all

No chance whatsoever
I largely agree with the point you are making but it isn't impossible. People said the same thing about Manti Te'o, and Mike Floyd (both surefire first round picks) after their junior seasons -- before they chose to come back for their senior years.

Garrett Nussmeier might be available, out of LSU. I believe he was a top 100 Rivals recruit. Son of fairly prominent OC Doug Nussmeier. I'd like to think he'd have the grades for it, being the son of a wealthy football coach.

I would hope for and anticipate Buchner winning the job back. But, you never know, if we win out. We Will have 8 scholarship RBs next year, so maybe we can stay super run heavy and just rotate them all.....
No on Nussmeier

I largely agree with the point you are making but it isn't impossible. People said the same thing about Manti Te'o before he chose to comeback for his senior year. A decision that ultimately would have paid off if it weren't for that crazy freak who catfished him.
Manti still needed to develop. And he wasnt a lock first rounder after his jr year like Mayer is. He wasnt a great athlete.

Mayer coming back does nothing for his draft stock

With our line and running game this is a good destination for a mature QB looking a better situation. Receiver is a problem but there will be young talent even if not proven. There is a lot of time between now and next summer to sort this out. Make no mistake, there is no way these coaches are going to play another season without a valid QB option. Buchner, Angelli and a transfer vying for the job. This will be a delicate one to handle with a guy who bled for the team every weak, is probably really well liked, but just handcuffs the offense way too much.

Greatest team ever ? Your opinion I know; but there were numerous teams that I believe were overall more talented and would beat the one dimensional 88 team.

Greatest team ever ? Your opinion I know; but there were numerous teams that I believe were overall more talented and would beat the one dimensional 88 team.
I think he was talking 1989 team … player for
player extremely talented even if they did lose one game they beat a lot of ranked teams … but yes there would be plenty of reasonable argument about other teams … which year did you have in mind?

#1 i said 1989 which wasnt undefeated but I believe was the best team we ever had.

Unfortunately 3rd and 43 happened....

regardless your point is?
And yes that's my opinion but what would you like to do? Measure degrees of greatness?

Harbaugh pulled McNamara. I doubt Pyne starts two years if freeman can help it.

With our line and running game this is a good destination for a mature QB looking a better situation. Receiver is a problem but there will be young talent even if not proven. There is a lot of time between now and next summer to sort this out. Make no mistake, there is no way these coaches are going to play another season without a valid QB option. Buchner, Angelli and a transfer vying for the job. This will be a delicate one to handle with a guy who bled for the team every weak, is probably really well liked, but just handcuffs the offense way too much.
Sure...but...

The goal is winning, right?

This is actually more on Rees than the player(s)

I say again if we win out, including a possible bowl against a tough opponent...

We will have beat a tough...no no...dominated a
Syracuse team on the road...
Clemson...at home...
USC on the road and if we doninate them with power football Rees will think long and hard about what to do next.

The goal is winning, right? Or do you need style points?

If Pyne wins out and it's a formula that just works why rock the boat?
Pyne could get even more efficient at being efficiently effective.

This lies on Rees lap though.

I also say again if we go to passing all the time it won't matter who is taking the snap. The 3 yard curl and sit route can't be the primary route

Sure...but...

I say again if we win out, including a possible bowl against a tough opponent...

Clemson...at home...
USC on the road and if we doninate them with power football Rees will think long and hard about what to do next.

I also say again if we go to passing all the time it won't matter who is taking the snap. The 3 yard curl and sit route can't be the primary route
Cade Mcnamara, Kelly Bryant, Brandon Wimbush

Sure...but...

Clemson...at home...

Flawed argument, if the 2001 Ravens could replace Trent Dilfer with Tom Brady they would, in a hot minute, with so second thought.

Buchner has the physical tools but has not shown the ability to run the offense effectively. We have no idea if he can read the defense and react. He hasn't played 3 games in a row since he was 14 years old. That was at least 6 years ago. He is a project at best. If Pyne wins out, which is a big if, he has shown the ability to lead his team and win. That means winning vs rivals and ranked teams. As OP says, we don't need style points. Only wins.

buchner will get injured. its Pyne or portal kid. If Pyne leaves it’s just portal kid. Buchner is always a risk and I don’t think he will ever stay healthy sadly. Any portal kid might just be a Pyne swap with Angeli the only other qb. Anyone that counts on Buchner lasting more than 3 games is nuts. He’s run happy bc is is honestly not an elite passer. He’s also fragile. Regardless Pyne might even be better than Buchner. I was never a Buchner fan. Not when they recruited him, not when he was picked to start, and I won’t be next year. I hope he has a good career and stays healthy, I just hope it’s not at ND.

buchner will get injured. its Pyne or portal kid. If Pyne leaves it’s just portal kid. Buchner is always a risk and I don’t think he will ever stay healthy sadly. Any portal kid might just be a Pyne swap with Angeli the only other qb. Anyone that counts on Buchner lasting more than 3 games is nuts. He’s run happy bc is is honestly not an elite passer. He’s also fragile. Regardless Pyne might even be better than Buchner. I was never a Buchner fan. Not when they recruited him, not when he was picked to start, and I won’t be next year. I hope he has a good career and stays healthy, I just hope it’s not at ND.
You sound like IrishBeer.

So you have gone from “Tommy Rees has the same depth chart problems that Brian Kelley had, we need to play Angeli, the season is lost so it doesn’t matter whether we are 7-6 or 10-3, etc., etc.,” to “We won with Tony rice going 1 for 2, so let’s just play Pyne and run.”

We cannot win against the elites of the elites (Clemson is not that this year despite its defensive talent) this way because sooner or later, we’re going to have bad luck and we’re going to need a passing game to hedge against it.

So you have gone from “Tommy Rees has the same depth chart problems that Brian Kelley had, we need to play Angeli, the season is lost so it doesn’t matter whether we are 7-6 or 10-3, etc., etc.,” to “We won with Tony rice going 1 for 2, so let’s just play Pyne and run.”

We cannot win against the elites of the elites (Clemson is not that this year despite its defensive talent) this way because sooner or later, we’re going to have bad luck and we’re going to need a passing game to hedge against it.
I will not be the least bit surprised if Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees stand pat and go with Tyler Buchner, Drew Pyne, And Steve Angeli in 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT