ADVERTISEMENT

did you guys read this? On the 'new' DC it is encouraging

"Quite frankly, for someone like myself, being 15 hours away from my family and home (Austin, Texas), he constantly stayed on top of us as if we were his own kids."

Thanks Pers -- enthusiasm and family were the words that struck me. Too bad Hudson was not around to mentor Max Redfield.

I told you all..

No nursery rhymes, no happy heart warming stories. We need results. A lot of goofs here will say he needs more than 2/3 of the season and of course they are just showing their ignorance.

Right now the one any only expectation and attention should be on individual play and any improvement. Meaning tackling, better angles, etc.

That won't change over night but bet your ass it will change if he knows what he's doing by Stanford week. We should be significantly better tacklers and just all around fundamentally.

Does that mean we will be the 1975 Steelers..no.

Let's just see if there is improvement starting this week. It can only go up from where we are.

We'll see.

I told you all..

No nursery rhymes, no happy heart warming stories. We need results. A lot of goofs here will say he needs more than 2/3 of the season and of course they are just showing their ignorance.

Right now the one any only expectation and attention should be on individual play and any improvement. Meaning tackling, better angles, etc.

That won't change over night but bet your ass it will change if he knows what he's doing by Stanford week. We should be significantly better tacklers and just all around fundamentally.

Does that mean we will be the 1975 Steelers..no.

Let's just see if there is improvement starting this week. It can only go up from where we are.

We'll see.

Prediction: if we don't jam the receivers on the first series we are doomed. imo We have to man up.

Team defensive statistics where Hudson was defensive coordinator.

Total Defense Passing Defense Rushing Defense Ref
2004 Minnesota 80th 110th 48th [7]
2005 East Carolina 82nd 18th 114th [8]
2006 East Carolina 59th 40th 69th [9]
2007 East Carolina 96th 113th 53rd [10]
2008 East Carolina 63rd 68th 72nd [11]
2009 East Carolina 100th 116th 39th [12]
2013 Purdue 95th 33rd 116th [13]
2014 Purdue 83rd 56th 96th [14]
2015 Purdue 111th 88th 107th [15]

Prediction: if we don't jam the receivers on the first series we are doomed. imo We have to man up.

Sounds to me he is a position coach based on these articles and imperial data

Sounds to me he is a position coach based on these articles and imperial data

At this stage I'd settle for, "Just get out there and hit somebody...preferably in a different colored uniform".

I guess Dexter Williams will be wearing # 1. Porky should wear # 2.....

Reactions: zonairish and 88ND

I know...and that doesn't look very promising.

Having said that I say this...
We are ranked 100ish with the worst defensive coach ever...

Let's just say he improves tackling. That alone would move us up from 100-70/75 ..

If he can improve tackling and pursuit angles ..100 up to 40-50 ranking. If he can improve tackling, pursuit angles, coverage,

Good good good.

Let's see.

P.s.
Was he working with sub par material with defense ranked so terribly or ...

Is he BVG part II

I know...and that doesn't look very promising.

Having said that I say this...
We are ranked 100ish with the worst defensive coach ever...

Let's just say he improves tackling. That alone would move us up from 100-70/75 ..

If he can improve tackling and pursuit angles ..100 up to 40-50 ranking. If he can improve tackling, pursuit angles, coverage,

Good good good.

Let's see.

P.s.
Was he working with sub par material with defense ranked so terribly or ...

Is he BVG part II

Light a candle.
I'm guessing that a South Dining Hall cook would've been better than bvg.
"Do you see the guy with the ball?" "Yes." "Good. Tackle him."

...from a Tiny Acorn to a Mighty Oak...

Damned the guy at least looks like a DC!

He may take some serious lumps, but If he can get the team ready for for Stanford and the D plays as if they 'practice' and in a physical manner with mean intent then the guy may be a 'find'.
But we will know soon enough. Even if the team loses, it is possible to tell if progress is being made to the defensive approach. He cannot accomplish a miracle: making chicken salad out of chicken feathers.

I hope he and HH get togethe and 'fix' the Tillery thing! This is just gotta stop!

Light a candle.
I'm guessing that a South Dining Hall cook would've been better than bvg.
"Do you see the guy with the ball?" "Yes." "Good. Tackle him."

...from a Tiny Acorn to a Mighty Oak...
No guessing...it's factual shit that a traffic cone is better than BVG.

Better yet if we had let the 11 starters come up with a game plan...but continue on with their normal high school reps of tackling , pursuit angle drills etc...

Our defense would have been better. That is NOT sarcastic but a sad fact.

Reactions: gavin1989 and cgvr
It's encouraging that he seems to be a players' coach. What's not encouraging are the stats from his previous defenses.

But this will be his audition. I just hope we can get to 7 wins and make a decent bowl.

Guys,

This is not a full time hire. Here is the plan.

Brian Kelly is essentially the acting defensive coordinator, with Greg Hudson and Mike doing the in-week game planning and Kelly acting as the defensive overseer, like he's done for a number of years with Mike Denbrock and Mike Sanford (and Chuck Martin before him) on the other side of the ball. Hudson will likely coach the linebackers (helping Elston) and the safeties, while Lyght will focus more on fixing the issues with the corners. On gameday, Elston will be in the booth, while Hudson will act as the encouraging force and fieryguy on the sidelines.

In 2017, ND will likely have a new DC, and possibly a couple new position coaches on the defensive side of the ball as well. It's my belief that Hudson will be one of those coaches. I'd like to see Mike Elston shuffled again (I think he's a very good, organized, recruiting coordinator), but I would much prefer a guy such as Hudson, as the linebackers coach.

For me, in 2017, an ideal staff would be...

Head Coach: Brian Kelly
OC / WR's: Mike Denbrock
OC / QB's: Mike Sanford
TE: Jeff Quinn
OL: Harry Hiestand
RB: Autry Denson

DC: Dave Aranda / Chuck Martin / Derek Mason / Charlie Strong
DL: Whoever the new DC wants
LB: Greg Hudson
DB: Todd Lyght (for now)

Special Teams / recruiting: Mike Elston

Reactions: Bodizephax
Guys,

This is not a full time hire. Here is the plan.

Brian Kelly is essentially the acting defensive coordinator, with Greg Hudson and Mike doing the in-week game planning and Kelly acting as the defensive overseer, like he's done for a number of years with Mike Denbrock and Mike Sanford (and Chuck Martin before him) on the other side of the ball. Hudson will likely coach the linebackers (helping Elston) and the safeties, while Lyght will focus more on fixing the issues with the corners. On gameday, Elston will be in the booth, while Hudson will act as the encouraging force and fieryguy on the sidelines.

In 2017, ND will likely have a new DC, and possibly a couple new position coaches on the defensive side of the ball as well. It's my belief that Hudson will be one of those coaches. I'd like to see Mike Elston shuffled again (I think he's a very good, organized, recruiting coordinator), but I would much prefer a guy such as Hudson, as the linebackers coach.

For me, in 2017, an ideal staff would be...

Head Coach: Brian Kelly
OC / WR's: Mike Denbrock
OC / QB's: Mike Sanford
TE: Jeff Quinn
OL: Harry Hiestand
RB: Autry Denson

DC: Dave Aranda / Chuck Martin / Derek Mason / Charlie Strong
DL: Whoever the new DC wants
LB: Greg Hudson
DB: Todd Lyght (for now)

Special Teams / recruiting: Mike Elston

What are your odds that we get a regime change? And this all goes south

IIO,

I think you are correct.

I think Elston might end up the DC with Hudson at LBs or maybe even Elston and Hudson as co-DC's like Debrock and Sanford are splitting the OC job.

What are your odds that we get a regime change? And this all goes south

Doubt it. I'd take Tom Herman and his staff tomorrow, but I think they probably end up at Texas or LSU. There are a lot of possibilities. There are going to be some really good DC's available next near. Dave Aranda may be a pipe dream, but guys like Charlie Strong, Derek Mason and Chuck Martin could all be out there and any of them would be a significant upgrade over Van Gorder. There are also guys like Luke Fickell, who could get an opportunity.

ND needs three things in a DC to get back to being competitive. First, they need a guy who plays a straight forward, college friendly (can't be overly complicated) scheme. Secondly, the guy has to hold players accountable and put them position to make plays. Third, he has to want to recruit. ND needs a guy who is willing to do some of the legwork in recruiting. He doesn't need to be on the road as much as his assistants, but he needs to have some kind of presence in each defensive recruit's recruitment.

I think Kelly is going to get one permanent hire to fix this...He's taking on water that won't slow down unless this is the very best hire and Kelly allows that guy to run his defense....successfully. I can't help but think the pressure will incline Kelly to micromanage the defense....which would be a mistake for the right guy....and defeat the purpose.

I think Kelly is going to get one permanent hire to fix this...He's taking on water that won't slow down unless this is the very best hire and Kelly allows that guy to run his defense....successfully. I can't help but think the pressure will incline Kelly to micromanage the defense....which would be a mistake for the right guy....and defeat the purpose.

Good point

What I don't understand about Kelly (and I must now acknowledge) is the fact that he is on the hot seat - and has allowed a terrible hire - BVG - as DC - to put him in that position.......why Kelly did not move on this change much sooner I will never understand.

Having said that - Kelly just got a big new contract extension so at the very least he will not have to worry about his financial future.

Looks like Kelly's ideas about hiring coaching assistants with whom he is personally familiar and recruitning his "RKG" type players is beginning to catch up to him (arguably, he had his best year with mostly Weis' recruits in 2012).

Good point

What I don't understand about Kelly (and I must now acknowledge) is the fact that he is on the hot seat - and has allowed a terrible hire - BVG - as DC - to put him in that position.......why Kelly did not move on this change much sooner I will never understand.

Having said that - Kelly just got a big new contract extension so at the very least he will not have to worry about his financial future.

Looks like Kelly's ideas about hiring coaching assistants with whom he is personally familiar and recruitning his "RKG" type players is beginning to catch up to him (arguably, he had his best year with mostly Weis' recruits in 2012).

He is very stubborn. Remember when Golson started turning the ball over every other play? Some of thought he might actually bench him for a couple of series to knock some sense into him, but he let him run wild right up to USC -- only about four or five weeks later than he should have addressed the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT