ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Page: Notre Dame Man

Dec 7, 2007
Great article today in The Athletic on Alan Page. Here is a link to the article:

(You have to subscribe to The Athletic to read it, but I am guessing there may be a few subsribers here.)

What an interesting man. Aside from his HOF football career, he earned his law degree while he was still playing with the Vikings, and later was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court, where he served as an associate justice for 22 years. He retired at age 70 due to Minnesota's mandatory retirement age of 70 for judges.

I saw him speak once many years ago, and he is a great speaker. Doesn't have the folksy charm of Lou Holtz, but Page makes you think. He is a firm believer in education as a means of self improvement.

I wonder if Marcus Freeman has ever reached out to Page? Freeman seems to have a sincere belief in the value of a Notre Dame education, and talks often about that to players and recruits. There aren't too many former football players that personify that ideal more than Alan Page.

Another one was the late Nick Buonoconti. A great player on lousy ND teams, he went out and had a Hall of Fame NFL career, attended law school while playing for the then Boston Patriots. After his retirement from the Dolphins,, he did very well for himself in business and in broadcasting. After his son was paralyzed, he devoted a great deal of effort to a center at the University of Miami that was studying ways to cure paralysis. I had the opportunity to meet him about 25 years ago and was really impressed.

Well he refused to here the evidence of 2 state witnesses perturbed themselves in Chauvin's case

Another one was the late Nick Buonoconti. A great player on lousy ND teams, he went out and had a Hall of Fame NFL career, attended law school while playing for the then Boston Patriots. After his retirement from the Dolphins,, he did very well for himself in business and in broadcasting. After his son was paralyzed, he devoted a great deal of effort to a center at the University of Miami that was studying ways to cure paralysis. I had the opportunity to meet him about 25 years ago and was really impressed.
I knew Nick when he was at ND and much later when we played golf together

I told him that he couldn’t start for a high school team today

he played at 205-215 when he came to ND

Last edited:
I knew Nick when he was at ND and much later when we played golf together

I told him that he couldn’t start for a high school team today

he played at 205-215 when he came to ND
Many HS starting LB’s are 210 pounds, or less.

I loved his work with the Purple People Eaters. It is a shame he never won a Lombardi Trophy.

81644984.jpg

I loved his work with the Purple People Eaters. It is a shame he never won a Lombardi Trophy.

81644984.jpg

Yes, the Purple People Eaters were an awesome defensive line: Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Alan Page and Gary Larsen. I grew up a Bears fan, and hated those guys because they were so good. Luckily Alan Page joined the Bears after the Vikings cut him in 1978, and he ended up playing really well until he retired a few years later. According to the story in The Athletic, Page had 40 sacks in his 58 games with the Bears. And he blocked 12 kicks! By then Page was really into running and fitness, and he was playing defensive line at 220 lbs. That is astonishing to me. There are any number of safeties that play at that weight now. When Page retired in 1981 he had played 215 games in a row, never missing a game to injury. He accumulated 148-1/2 sacks, still the most ever for a defensive tackle. He was simply a great player.

Reactions: tbonesays
Its called checking before opening your mouth.
You slandered a great ND man because you were too lazy
So me owning my mistake wasnt enough for you.
Interesting
Slander doesn't fit that bill, but I will be there to catch you on your next slip you can be sure of that

So me owning my mistake wasnt enough for you.
Interesting
Slander doesn't fit that bill, but I will be there to catch you on your next slip you can be sure of that
IT was a stupid statement and one you WANTED to injure his image here.
You WANTED to make him look bad
So no that was no innocent mistake
you had malice aforethought and I really wonder about your claim it WAS a mistake

And as for you Mr thumps high the same me owning my mistake wasn't enough the nonsense you sot from time to time I would need to spend have my day calling out your bullshit
Well start now, I’ve got plenty of time !

you had malice aforethought and I really wonder about your claim it WAS a mistake
I tend to agree with you !

LMFAO
I do believe you are taking this alot harder than Alan Page would be knowing the content of this post

LMFAO
I do believe you are taking this alot harder than Alan Page would be knowing the content of this post
the fact you think this is laughable says all one needs to know about YOU
slandering a great man because you feel so small

Isn’t Alan Page the epitome of the student/athlete at Notre Dame ?

A combination of the scholar and the athlete ?

An outstanding football player who achieved great things after his football career.

Isn’t that the desired result of a Notre Dame education, a successful career after graduation.

The significance of a great education is that most athletes don’t possess the same talent that Alan Page possessed, ergo, their education is of paramount importance

You seem focused on athletics to the exclusion or at least the diminishment of the educational aspect

the fact you think this is laughable says all one needs to know about YOU
slandering a great man because you feel so small
What I've should of said that you hounding me on this is laughable not you.
You are a quality poster and want no beef with you, but my instincts to respond quickly get the best of me more times than I like

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT