ADVERTISEMENT

Closing the gap?

kev2225

Future coach
Jan 1, 2007
So I saw this article trying to explain why they think ND is closing the gap to being a true title contender. We finished at 10-3 this year. Honestly, I don't think we're any closer than we were when BK was here. They made several points, but one they mentioned that I really have to scratch my head about is when they said MF is recruiting quarterbacks at an elite level. Huh? How come we haven't seen them on the field? What say you. Is this team closer to contend for a NC than we were 3 or 4 years ago?

Name one QB room under Kelly that you would put above Riley Leonard, Steve Angeli, CJ Carr, and Kenny Minchey. Throw in for the future Deuce Knight and nabbing the top transfer in Hartman last year and I'd put their recruiting almost as high as anyone at QB.

Keep in mind this will only be Freeman's third year and coming off a 10 win season while returning a top 6 defense and I can't remember a time a was more excited to be a Notre Dame fan. Even if you can't see it now you'll see it soon enough.

I’ve been extremely critical of freeman and his poor coaching and scheme as DC.

With that said, on paper going into 2024 we’ve significantly closed gap talent wise and with 2 of the best coordinators in the game we have as good of a staff as anyone. He’s done a great job putting this team together.

Only thing that can hold us back is if freeman still struggles to consistently get the team to prepare properly, and in game bonehead decisions.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I am a MF fan but I still think he coaches not to lose. Nowadays the elite coaches do not want to "hold you off" or "settle into the game." They aggressively go after you for 60 minutes.. This team does have talent, depth, elite qb, great coordinators, and playmakers at most positions, but Marcus needs to be more Lane Kiffin and less James Franklin on game day IMHO.

So I saw this article trying to explain why they think ND is closing the gap to being a true title contender. We finished at 10-3 this year. Honestly, I don't think we're any closer than we were when BK was here. They made several points, but one they mentioned that I really have to scratch my head about is when they said MF is recruiting quarterbacks at an elite level. Huh? How come we haven't seen them on the field? What say you. Is this team closer to contend for a NC than we were 3 or 4 years ago?

Minchey was a Frosh

Carr didnt arrive yet

Knight is 25

Bad take

Reactions: NDinNJ
I do think we are closing the gap. The portal is helping ND and while it also helps Alabama etc. it hurts them I think more. Coaching I think has been a bigger issue for ND and while I love MF as a human being the jury is still out regarding game day coaching. To be fair he is learning on the job, something ND should not have to settle for. Is this the year it all comes together? Soft schedule....run the table.....better assistants.....next year hopefully one of the young QB's wins the job...or heck some new great transfer comes in? Sure...it's possible and I am hoping for it but I am not in love with what college football has become.

I do think we are closing the gap. The portal is helping ND and while it also helps Alabama etc. it hurts them I think more. Coaching I think has been a bigger issue for ND and while I love MF as a human being the jury is still out regarding game day coaching. To be fair he is learning on the job, something ND should not have to settle for. Is this the year it all comes together? Soft schedule....run the table.....better assistants.....next year hopefully one of the young QB's wins the job...or heck some new great transfer comes in? Sure...it's possible and I am hoping for it but I am not in love with what college football has become.
Learning on the job lol

Who cares.

I think we are closing the gap, and the best way to measure that is that we have reached a stage where people expect us to dominate certain games and are surprised when we don’t. This is how people view contenders or near contenders.

Right now, there are about four teams that would be favored over us by more than three points on a neutral field and maybe another two or three by a point or two. There’s not a single team that would be favored by more than seven or eight points; when was the last time we could say this?

Obviously, next year is different and UGA likely is a very dominant team and Alabama if Milroe takes a leap as a QB and stops taking 12 yard sacks. But even so, right now at least, no team next year looks completely beyond our reach.

These are exciting times.

Reactions: DublinND

IB has been overly optimistic about freeman and negative about BKs recruiting for a couple years now. Titles are very hard to win and you need a special combination of head coach, assistants and an amazing mesh of elite players. Michigan did it bc they have the best coach in football, incredible assistants, and phenomenal players that bought in to the entire process. They were experienced having played in several playoffs. It took him a decade to do it. The chances ND wins a championship when everyone else wants one too is slim. We are lacking in several ways what Michigan excels at. In many ways we are everything Michigan is not. Michigan hired an experienced alum with experience building programs in college and succeeding in the NFL. They hired a coach with a winning family and incredible resources. They didn’t make hires based on who players liked or what new political move we could make a statement about.

Say what you want about the sign steeling stuff, etc. even if you take all that away, Michigan has poured itself into winning.

Last edited:
Learning on the job lol

Who cares.
9-3 regular season with one of the best teams in the country cares. There was no excuse other than coaching to not go 11-1 or better this year.

We were good enough in December of this year to win it all, but due to poor coaching by freeman & parker, we were in a crap bowl instead.

Learning on the job landed ND in El Paso. Only thing good there is Sicario.

"who cares", please

2023 was our best chance to win a title since 1993, 2024 is an even better chance. I have hope due to the coordinators both being elite. Props for freeman and Jack for setting us up for success, SETTING us up for success.

Last edited:
IB has been overly optimistic about freeman and negative about BKs recruiting for a couple years now. Titles are very hard to win and you need a special combination of head coach, assistants and an amazing mesh of elite players. Michigan did it bc they have the best coach in football, incredible assistants, and phenomenal players that bought in to the entire process. They were experienced having played in several playoffs. It took him a decade to do it. The chances ND wins a championship when everyone else wants one too is slim. We are lacking in several ways what Michigan excels at. In many ways we are everything Michigan is not. Michigan hired an experienced alum with experience building programs in college and succeeding in the NFL. They hired a coach with a winning family and incredible resources. They didn’t make hires based on who players liked or what new political move we could make a statement about.

Say what you want about the sign steeling stuff, etc. even if you take all that away, Michigan has poured itself into winning.
Not surprising a troll like you only cares about winning and nothing else
You love Michigan so much, go there

I think we are closing the gap, and the best way to measure that is that we have reached a stage where people expect us to dominate certain games and are surprised when we don’t. This is how people view contenders or near contenders.

Right now, there are about four teams that would be favored over us by more than three points on a neutral field and maybe another two or three by a point or two. There’s not a single team that would be favored by more than seven or eight points; when was the last time we could say this?

Obviously, next year is different and UGA likely is a very dominant team and Alabama if Milroe takes a leap as a QB and stops taking 12 yard sacks. But even so, right now at least, no team next year looks completely beyond our reach.

These are exciting times.
Agree

And they had a really good year on a down year for cfb. And they capitalized

It took 9 years

Reactions: Pennick4
Name one QB room under Kelly that you would put above Riley Leonard, Steve Angeli, CJ Carr, and Kenny Minchey. Throw in for the future Deuce Knight and nabbing the top transfer in Hartman last year and I'd put their recruiting almost as high as anyone at QB.

Keep in mind this will only be Freeman's third year and coming off a 10 win season while returning a top 6 defense and I can't remember a time a was more excited to be a Notre Dame fan. Even if you can't see it now you'll see it soon enough.
Angeli was on BK`s watch, but point taken. MF has closed the gap in recruiting on the QB room. Maybe, closing the gap in a different manner by keeping 4th and 5th year guys is a good norm just look at FSU and Michigan a lot of their players could have declared last year, but choose to stick it out for another year. The portal immediately took care of the wide out situation

9-3 regular season with one of the best teams in the country cares. There was no excuse other than coaching to not go 11-1 or better this year.

We were good enough in December of this year to win it all, but due to poor coaching by freeman & parker, we were in a crap bowl instead.

Learning on the job landed ND in El Paso. Only thing good there is Sicario.

"who cares", please

2023 was our best chance to win a title since 1993, 2024 is an even better chance. I have hope due to the coordinators both being elite. Props for freeman and Jack for setting us up for success, SETTING us up for success.
Yeah who cares

Learning on the job excuse is lazy and weak. Say his mistakes and problems and dont use a lazy excuse

We werent good enough to win it all but definitely good enough to be top 8. We weren't good enough at QB and WR to win a Title this year

MF has been a good head coach so far with more room to grow. It was a good hire when we made it and its only has upside to go to another level

When is all said and done it will be Jacks best move as AD

And that same article has been written....how many times over the past 35 years?

Who cares. Start winning some freaking games that matter and that will be more worthwhile than any article written to generate clicks.

Harbaugh isn't even close to the best coach in the industry. They flat out cheated, it's not even up for debate, that's part of how they went all in on winning.

With that said, yes they built a team to peak this year vs an incredibly easy schedule. They have 5 real regular season games next year, this passed year they had 2.

Yeah who cares

Learning on the job excuse is lazy and weak. Say his mistakes and problems and dont use a lazy excuse

We werent good enough to win it all but definitely good enough to be top 8. We weren't good enough at QB and WR to win a Title this year

MF has been a good head coach so far with more room to grow. It was a good hire when we made it and its only has upside to go to another level

When is all said and done it will be Jacks best move as AD
UM wasn't good enough at QB this year to win it all but when you have a D and run game like UM you don't have to be. ND had that as well. JJ went 10-18 for 140 yds and won by 21, a great QB for the first time wasn't needed this year.

This was a year you could win it all without an elite QB, and terrible coaching prevented that.

UM wasn't good enough at QB this year to win it all but when you have a D and run game like UM you don't have to be. ND had that as well. JJ went 10-18 for 140 yds and won by 21, a great QB for the first time wasn't needed this year.

This was a year you could win it all without an elite QB, and terrible coaching prevented that.
Posts like this make it impossible to reason with you, just unbelievably naive.

Reactions: futuredomer
Harbaugh isn't even close to the best coach in the industry. They flat out cheated, it's not even up for debate, that's part of how they went all in on winning.

With that said, yes they built a team to peak this year vs an incredibly easy schedule. They have 5 real regular season games next year, this passed year they had 2.
Harbaugh is in the top 4 of college coaches and a top 10 football coach in the world

Yes they are. JJ McCarthy is going to go in rounds 1 or 2. Hartman will go 6th to undrafted.

Wilson is far better than any WR we had this year

Whether it is Saturdays or Sundays, Jim Harbaugh is a damn good head coach.

And yes, Michigan did a Houston Astros, that said, Harbaugh is still a damn good head coach.

Whether it is Saturdays or Sundays, Jim Harbaugh is a damn good head coach.

And yes, Michigan did a Houston Astros, that said, Harbaugh is still a damn good head coach.
If cheating is allowed, then yes, he's awesome, But he didn't do great at UM until he began cheating.

He averaged 4 losses per season over 6 years at UM until he began cheating the last 3 years. Harbaugh was about to be fired, but he was given one more year due to covid. What does he do, he went all in on cheating. Cheating allowed him to get more wins and get some better players leading to this years run.

Yes they are. JJ McCarthy is going to go in rounds 1 or 2. Hartman will go 6th to undrafted.

Wilson is far better than any WR we had this year
Agree on Wilson, JJ is overatted, and the NFL will show that. He didn't have to do crap throwing the ball in any big games.

Penn state 60 yds passing no tds
Ohio State 148 yds passing 1 td
Alabama 220 yds passing, 3 tds
Washington 140 yds passing, no tds

This was the year to win it all with an average QB, didn't need to score over 30 points in any big games

Agree on Wilson, JJ is overatted, and the NFL will show that. He didn't have to do crap throwing the ball in any big games.

Penn state 60 yds passing no tds
Ohio State 148 yds passing 1 td
Alabama 220 yds passing, 3 tds
Washington 140 yds passing, no tds

This was the year to win it all with an average QB, didn't need to score over 30 points in any big games
McCarthy will go top 2 rounds. How he does in the pros is irrelevant. Hes way more talented than Hartman.

If cheating is allowed, then yes, he's awesome, But he didn't do great at UM until he began cheating.

He averaged 4 losses per season over 6 years at UM until he began cheating the last 3 years. Harbaugh was about to be fired, but he was given one more year due to covid. What does he do, he went all in on cheating. Cheating allowed him to get more wins and get some better players leading to this years run.
You can spin this any way you wish. Wherever Harbaugh goes, Stanford, 49ers, Michigan...success follows.

Lots of success. The dude can coach.... and there is a reason the NFL is all over the guy.

I do believe the gap has been narrowed and ND is closer to being a true title contender compared to years past.

I don’t believe that only means we’ve gotten better as well. The transfer portal has been a major change to college football. I believe the portal negatively affects teams who recruit at a high level, in terms of keeping all these high ranked players throughout their collegiate career. If you’re not starting at Georgia/Bama as a sophomore, easy to find a new place on a dimes notice.

Although you can argue this can also hurt a team like ND, it appears we’ve counteracted it well by acquiring experienced players as replacement.

This year was the first year there didn’t seem to be a truly dominant team like years past and I believe depth is a big piece of it.

Just my 2 cents on the gap closing.

I do believe the gap has been narrowed and ND is closer to being a true title contender compared to years past.

I don’t believe that only means we’ve gotten better as well. The transfer portal has been a major change to college football. I believe the portal negatively affects teams who recruit at a high level, in terms of keeping all these high ranked players throughout their collegiate career. If you’re not starting at Georgia/Bama as a sophomore, easy to find a new place on a dimes notice.

Although you can argue this can also hurt a team like ND, it appears we’ve counteracted it well by acquiring experienced players as replacement.

This year was the first year there didn’t seem to be a truly dominant team like years past and I believe depth is a big piece of it.

Just my 2 cents on the gap closing.
Certainly crack filling at this point!

• Wow
Reactions: Extirpate 6951
Why did he fail at michigan for 6 years until he created a huge cheating system to provide significant advantage?
He didn't. He was good there. He was 47 and 18 his first 5 years after taking over a bad program. How is that a fail?

He turned San Diego around. He turned Stanford around. He turned San Francisco around. He turned Michigan around

He's one of the best football coaches in the world

Freeman needs to be in the playoffs and win at least one game next year. Preferably a home game. Another 9-3 and it’s fair to put him on the hot seat.

What's your definition of it "ALL COMING TOGETHER"?

Freeman needs to be in the playoffs and win at least one game next year. Preferably a home game. Another 9-3 and it’s fair to put him on the hot seat.
If Marcus Freeman is 9-3 in 2024, I agree.

That said, I believe the regular season record will be better.

He didn't. He was good there. He was 47 and 18 his first 5 years after taking over a bad program. How is that a fail?

He turned San Diego around. He turned Stanford around. He turned San Francisco around. He turned Michigan around

He's one of the best football coaches in the world
He was 49 - 22 first 6 seasons, never beat Ohio state, never won a big ten championship, every single season the team finished with a worse ranking than they started season.

Absolute epic failure as a coach, was about to be fired but Covid saved him, the he went all in on cheating … it’s not a coincidence, it’s a scheme, a disgrace

Fake coach, overrated

He was 49 - 22 first 6 seasons, never beat Ohio state, never won a big ten championship, every single season the team finished with a worse ranking than they started season.

Absolute epic failure as a coach, was about to be fired but Covid saved him, the he went all in on cheating … it’s not a coincidence, it’s a scheme, a disgrace

Fake coach, overrated
Great coach. One of the 10 best in the world.

Won at San Diego, Stanford, San Francisco, Michigan

You could make the argument he's top 5 in football college and pro

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT