ADVERTISEMENT

Deuce Knight

Bruce Feldman of The Athletic had some pretty high praise for Deuce based upon his performance at the recent Elite 11 camp:

Deuce Knight (No. 51 overall, No. 8 QB)​

The Notre Dame commit from Lucedale, Miss., shined. Don’t be surprised if his stock shoots up. The coaches loved Knight. He’s almost 6-5, 210 pounds and has the frame to carry 230 down the road. The lefty is a superb athlete with excellent wheels, but he wowed Elite 11 coaches with how much better he looked in Southern California than he did a few months ago at the regional camp the Elite 11 put on. Knight showed up much more polished as a passer and more consistent. The other things that impressed coaches were his magnetic personality and leadership skills, key traits for a quarterback that don’t necessarily show up on film.

“He was super impressive,” Gardner said. “He’s big and strong, and he moves really well. He was as polished as anybody there. And he’s got this personality that’s outstanding. He can walk into a room and will attract teammates no matter their walks of life. He can relate well to guys.”

Notre Dame has had some good quarterbacks over the past dozen years, but it hasn’t had a quarterback drafted in the first round since Brady Quinn went No. 22 to the Cleveland Browns in 2007. Since 2010, the Irish have had only one quarterback drafted in the first three rounds: DeShone Kizer, who went No. 52 in 2017. Knight’s blend of size, speed and intangibles is different. At the Elite 11 regional combine, Knight clocked a 4.53 40-yard dash and had his vertical jump measured at an eye-popping 41.9 inches.

“I think he’s special,” Hoover said. “I don’t think Notre Dame’s ever had a quarterback quite like this. (Kizer) was big and threw it well, but he wasn’t as dynamic as this kid is.”
He's a freak athlete and special talent

Reactions: futuredomer
We have a way to measure who is getting the best athletes though, and Notre Dame is getting eaten alive on the recruiting trail by a revolving door of 4-7 programs since the post Charlie Weis era. And that's the problem. This lack of ability, or lack of desire to secure these top tier prospects is seriously capping the program's upside, and it's a problem that still persists at Notre Dame as I type this.

There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency or priority on the part of Notre Dame to fix the situation either. They seem to be more concerned with controlling the message than fixing the issue. We are a top 5 wealthiest blue blood in the sport, we should be able to land elite talent at the same pace as our competition at the very least.

I take issue with people ignoring the copious amount of information on the topic and the ND communities continuously posting/publishing/spreading erroneous information like something is changing or trending in the right direction. It's a false narrative that only perpetuates the problem/status quo.

Can we at least land a SINGLE composite 5 star .. just 1 per class ? It blows my mind that the ND community feels like this is some insurmountable request. It feels like we've landed like 2 *total* composite 5-stars in the last 5 years when our competition for playoff spots & playoff wins is landing 3+ per cycle on top of all of the other top 100 talent they are monopolizing at our expense.

What strategic maneuvering is going on at the admin level at ND to fix the issue? Why is this issue virtually ignored by everybody that covers the team professionally? Why do the fans continue to look the other way while this is happening?

DEMAND a better product! HOLD the university accountable for a better product! don't spread the university's PR and propaganda or we wont see another national championship trophy in our lifetime.
Does anyone care that Bryce Young, KVA, Lambert or Cam Williams were 5 stars or high 4 stars last year?

Who the hell cares 🤣

They are big time prospects. They are going to be big time players at ND. It doesn't matter

Reactions: IrishMike409
Does anyone care that Bryce Young, KVA, Lambert or Cam Williams were 5 stars or high 4 stars last year?

Who the hell cares 🤣

They are big time prospects. They are going to be big time players at ND. It doesn't matter
Hook
Line
Sinker

Yes the data is clear, MF is recruiting the best at ND since Weis but these classes are much more balanced so probably the best since Holtz.

It's very obvious
I already posted this in another thread a few months back, but it might be worth repeating here.
Here's a comparison of the top 10 recruits and their positions by composite ranking in the combined 2023 & 2024 classes and the combined 2016 & 2017 classes.

2016/2017:
1. OT (26)
2. TE (71)
3. OT (79)
4. TE (82)
5. OG (84)
6. WR (108)
7. OT (120)
8. LB (132)
9. DL (147)
10. OT (166)

2023/2024:
1. LB (41)
2. OT (46)
3. WR (47)
4. OT (61)
5. QB (68)
6. DL (73)
7. RB (79)
8. CB (103)
9. LB (106)
10. RB (119)

So much of what makes great QB play is stuff going on between the ears and that can be really hard to project multiple years in advance.

I think great quarterbacks are able to process information quicker with far more raw brain computational power compared to their peers and in other ways we can't even explain.

How do you project that when a kid is age 15-17 going through the camp/prospect process?
Yet you do it every time you orgasm over the commitments that the “top 4-7” sign…

lol you are a fraud

I already posted this in another thread a few months back, but it might be worth repeating here.
Here's a comparison of the top 10 recruits and their positions by composite ranking in the combined 2023 & 2024 classes and the combined 2016 & 2017 classes.

2016/2017:
1. OT (26)
2. TE (71)
3. OT (79)
4. TE (82)
5. OG (84)
6. WR (108)
7. OT (120)
8. LB (132)
9. DL (147)
10. OT (166)

2023/2024:
1. LB (41)
2. OT (46)
3. WR (47)
4. OT (61)
5. QB (68)
6. DL (73)
7. RB (79)
8. CB (103)
9. LB (106)
10. RB (119)
Can you please explain what the parentheses numbers are representing ? its kind of confusing to understand what you are presenting here.

Can you please explain what the parentheses numbers are representing ? its kind of confusing to understand what you are presenting here.
Sure, the parentheses show the overall composite ranking of the player in his own year. So the top player in the 2016/2017 column is Tommy Kraemer, who was the composite #26 overall player in 2016. The top player in the 2023/2024 column is KVA, who was #41 overall in 2024. I can see where that's a bit confusing as I combined two years.

The point I hope to make is that recruiting has been more balanced under Freeman than Kelly. Other years were less extreme than 2016/2017, but generally Kelly's recruiting rankings depended heavily on offensive linemen and tight ends with relatively poor recruiting at other positions.

Sure, the parentheses show the overall composite ranking of the player in his own year. So the top player in the 2016/2017 column is Tommy Kraemer, who was the composite #26 overall player in 2016. The top player in the 2023/2024 column is KVA, who was #41 overall in 2024. I can see where that's a bit confusing as I combined two years.

The point I hope to make is that recruiting has been more balanced under Freeman than Kelly. Other years were less extreme than 2016/2017, but generally Kelly's recruiting rankings depended heavily on offensive linemen and tight ends with relatively poor recruiting at other positions.
If recruiting under Brian Kelly "...generally depended on the OL and TE positions..," with "...poor recruiting at other positions..," why did Kelly's teams earn 4-team CFB Playoff berths in 2018 and 2020?

Last edited:

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I think class balance is an overrated concept because so many of the prospects are likely to never make an impact, several will change positions, etc. so what does it matter if your prospects are spread out more evenly by position?

Maybe over a greater sample size, like say 4 years, class balance starts to make more sense.

Also, is there any reason why you are using 2016 & 2017 as opposed to 2021 and 2022 in the Brian Kelly example? I think the landscape in recruiting has changed so much in the last 5 years that anything before 2020 doesn't really apply in 2024

If recruiting under Brian Kelly was poor in your opinion at many positions, with only the OL and TE positions recruiting well....those are your words, why did Kelly's teams earn 4-team CFB Playoff berths in 2018 and 2020?
Because the player development under BK was spectacular, and NDs ACC schedule has been dogturd so ND was able to go unchallenged for most of the regular season and lucked into playoff spots they didn't deserve and predictably got ran over by more talented teams when they eventually faced them in the playoff.

You can't develop 3 & 4 star players better than the competition can develop 4 & 5 star players no matter how good the coaching is.

Last edited:
We have a way to measure who is getting the best athletes though, and Notre Dame is getting eaten alive on the recruiting trail by a revolving door of 4-7 programs since the post Charlie Weis era. And that's the problem. This lack of ability, or lack of desire to secure these top tier prospects is seriously capping the program's upside, and it's a problem that still persists at Notre Dame as I type this.

There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency or priority on the part of Notre Dame to fix the situation either. They seem to be more concerned with controlling the message than fixing the issue. We are a top 5 wealthiest blue blood in the sport, we should be able to land elite talent at the same pace as our competition at the very least.

I take issue with people ignoring the copious amount of information on the topic and the ND communities continuously posting/publishing/spreading erroneous information like something is changing or trending in the right direction. It's a false narrative that only perpetuates the problem/status quo.

Can we at least land a SINGLE composite 5 star .. just 1 per class ? It blows my mind that the ND community feels like this is some insurmountable request. It feels like we've landed like 2 *total* composite 5-stars in the last 5 years when our competition for playoff spots & playoff wins is landing 3+ per cycle on top of all of the other top 100 talent they are monopolizing at our expense.

What strategic maneuvering is going on at the admin level at ND to fix the issue? Why is this issue virtually ignored by everybody that covers the team professionally? Why do the fans continue to look the other way while this is happening?

DEMAND a better product! HOLD the university accountable for a better product! don't spread the university's PR and propaganda or we wont see another national championship trophy in our lifetime.
OK....what do you want me to do? Stop watching? Stop attending the 1-2 games each year at ND stadium or in a big city? Stop coming here to read about and talk ND? Stop listening to Driskell podcasts?

I don't know how to "hold ND accountable".

I like Freeman. I appreciate the things he's done. The trajectory is heading in the right direction for me. I love the program.

The QB room is loaded. The OL recruiting continues to be good. The DC is locked up, and that unit continues to recruit well. We'll be in the playoff hunt and in the hunt for a title.

I'm good with us never being Georgia or tOSU.

Because the player development under BK was spectacular, and NDs ACC schedule has been dogturd so ND lucked into playoff spots they didn't deserve and predictably got ran over by more talented teams.

You can't develop 3 & 4 star players better than the competition can develop 4 & 5 star players no matter how good the coaching is.
Chase
If you coached a game vs Nick Saban
And you had all 5 stars at every position
And Saban had all 3 stars at every position

You think you would win ?

I think class balance is an overrated concept because so many of the prospects are likely to never make an impact, several will change positions, etc. so what does it matter if your prospects are spread out more evenly by position?

Maybe over a greater sample size, like say 4 years, class balance starts to make more sense.

Also, is there any reason why you are using 2016 & 2017 as opposed to 2021 and 2022 in the Brian Kelly example? I think the landscape in recruiting has changed so much in the last 5 years that anything before 2020 doesn't really apply in 2024
22 wasn't a full Kelly class so that would be a poor example

Because the player development under BK was spectacular, and NDs ACC schedule has been dogturd so ND was able to go unchallenged for most of the regular season and lucked into playoff spots they didn't deserve and predictably got ran over by more talented teams when they eventually faced them in the playoff.

I think spectacular is a stretch. Iwould say very good. We recruited well usually (8 thru 16) and that's about where we were for most of the Kelly years

The most important position is where the development or recruiting were lacking

Chase
If you coached a game vs Nick Saban
And you had all 5 stars at every position
And Saban had all 3 stars at every position

You think you would win ?
No, of course not, but I'm not an FBS head coach.

Would some average G5 head coach with all 5 stars beat a Saban team full of 3 stars ? .. yes I think so at least the large majority of time

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
If recruiting under Brian Kelly "...generally depended on the OL and TE positions..," with "...poor recruiting at other positions..," why did Kelly's teams earn 4-team CFB Playoff berths in 2018 and 2020?
Fairly easy schedule. Embarrassed both appearances.

Reactions: chaseball
Fairly easy schedule. Embarrassed both appearances.
The rest of your narrative is that Alabama won the title game 52-24 over Ohio St in 2021, Clemson won the title game 44-16 over Alabama in 2019.

Notre Dame faced iconic, championship teams in both semi's.

The rest of your narrative is that Alabama won the title game 52-24 over Ohio St in 2021, Clemson won the title game 44-16 over Alabama in 2019.

Notre Dame faced iconic, championship teams in both semi's.
And embarrassed in 2012 as well

I said "relatively poor recruiting at other positions," meaning that everything not TE or OL was poor relative to those two position groups. I think you could make an argument that TE/OL recruiting in the Kelly era was the best in the country - at least top 3. I think all other position groups together were probably around 15th or 20th. That's enough to get to the playoffs occasionally when mid-rated recruits like Julian Love turn out to be elite.

The 2018 playoffs are a great example of the problem. We all remember what an enormous difference it made when Julian Love went down in that playoff game. Having such a major drop off from the starter to the 2nd string guy is a sign that a position group hasn't been recruited well enough.

Fair reply. I used 2-year sample sizes simply because we only have 2 complete classes that are 100% Freeman's. I will fully acknowledge that I used 2016/2017 for Kelly because it was the most extreme example. OL/TE were the strongest overall position group for just about any pair of years, though, which can make it difficult to get your 22 best players on the field.

I said "relatively poor recruiting at other positions," meaning that everything not TE or OL was poor relative to those two position groups. I think you could make an argument that TE/OL recruiting in the Kelly era was the best in the country - at least top 3. I think all other position groups together were probably around 15th or 20th. That's enough to get to the playoffs occasionally when mid-rated recruits like Julian Love turn out to be elite.

The 2018 playoffs are a great example of the problem. We all remember what an enormous difference it made when Julian Love went down in that playoff game. Having such a major drop off from the starter to the 2nd string guy is a sign that a position group hasn't been recruited well enough.
Clemson beat the crap out of Alabama in the title game.

Losing 30-3 in the semi was not an embarrassment, relative to the title game.

If you want an abundance of 5-Stars, don't make the kids attend class.

Do it like Ohio St and Georgia does.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I think ND is like 1-15 vs top 5 competition and have been outscored in those games by like a -300 point differential over the last 20 some years (I'm shooting from the hip with these numbers, but im probably pretty close).

That should say it all.

Fair reply. I used 2-year sample sizes simply because we only have 2 complete classes that are 100% Freeman's. I will fully acknowledge that I used 2016/2017 for Kelly because it was the most extreme example. OL/TE were the strongest overall position group for just about any pair of years, though, which can make it difficult to get your 22 best players on the field.
QB Stetson Bennett won 2 titles, and attended Georgia for 6 years.

Again. 6 years.

Never graduated.

That's the culture in the SEC.

School is optional.

But they don't say that. Everyone knows when we sign the #10 player at a position there were nine higher ranking. People look at the guy we signed and talk about his good attributes.

And Michigan just showed what most suspected. A team that has all good players without anyone extremely great can beat the all 5 star squads at Bama.

how ignorant do you gotta be to think that the consolidated view of a prospect from 3-4 major recruiting sites (which is what the 247 composite is) somehow is missing something you are seeing at home on youtube?
On3 just ranked Deuce as the number 28 player overall in the country and would be a 5 star at their end of season rankings.

Is he now a better player today than yesterday because they told you so?

He's a 5star talent like I said a year ago. A freak of an athlete. Easy 5 star type player

On3 just ranked Deuce as the number 28 player overall in the country and would be a 5 star at their end of season rankings.

Is he now a better player today than yesterday because they told you so?

He's a 5star talent like I said a year ago. A freak of an athlete. Easy 5 star type player
I have read and listened to concerns about this kid as a Quarterback on the next level. Very raw as a QB according to those who evaluate these things. And to the point that many believe he won't beat out CJ Carr.

I have read and listened to concerns about this kid as a Quarterback on the next level. Very raw as a QB according to those who evaluate these things. And to the point that many believe he won't beat out CJ Carr.
Now you're just running your mouth. He's not even a senior yet and every camp they go to says he's improving by the day. Including the OT7 camp where he was the best and the Elite 11 where he performed better than Carr did. He's also a way better athlete. 2 different QBs

What does it matter if he beats him out, he can play after him and with him. There will be packages for him that's a guarantee

Just be happy we are finally recruiting top level QBs instead of trying to put down an elite QB that we are getting.

Now you're just running your mouth. He's not even a senior yet and every camp they go to says he's improving by the day. Including the OT7 camp where he was the best and the Elite 11 where he performed better than Carr did. He's also a way better athlete. 2 different QBs

What does it matter if he beats him out, he can play after him and with him. There will be packages for him that's a guarantee

Just be happy we are finally recruiting top level QBs instead of trying to put down an elite QB that we are getting.
I am not speaking for me.

Simply what I listen to.

I have no idea if this kid will be elite on the football field on Saturdays. No one does. Not you. Not me. Not Rivals. Not 247. Not On3. No one does.

Last edited:
I have no idea if this kid will be elite on the football field on Saturdays. No one does. Not you. Not me. Not Rivals. Not 247. Not On3. No one does.
Okay sure. No need to ever post about recruiting than or CJ Carr

Okay sure. No need to ever post about recruiting than or CJ Carr
I have listened to those who attend Notre Dame practices and have seen Deuce Knight actually play say that CJ Carr is far, far more polished as a QB than Deuce Knight.

We will see.

I have listened to those who attend Notre Dame practices and have seen Deuce Knight actually play say that CJ Carr is far, far more polished as a QB than Deuce Knight.

We will see.
You don't need to listen to anyone for that info, that's about as obvious as can be

You don't need to listen to anyone for that info, that's about as obvious as can be
I do need to listen. I do not attend Notre Dame practices, and watching a Spring game with vanilla defenses and zero game planning tells me nothing.

I do need to listen. I do not attend Notre Dame practices, and watching a Spring game with vanilla defenses and zero game planning tells me nothing.
Since Deuce hasn't been at a ND practice that would tell you nothing. So you would have to watch film of him in HS and compare it to CJ in HS

And it's a obvious as can be. You don't need to be an expert to see

CJ is the most polished QB I've seen ND land since Clausen. Obvious as can be

Since Deuce hasn't been at a ND practice that would tell you nothing. So you would have to watch film of him in HS and compare it to CJ in HS

I am not speaking for myself. Again, simply telling you what has been said. And pretty emphatically.

Deuce Knight has been described, with regards to actually playing in games, as raw. Extremely raw.

Jimmy Clausen is the best passing QB I have ever seen play at Notre Dame, and only played 3 seasons.

That's lofty company.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT