ADVERTISEMENT

Come Eat Your Crow Folks

Has there ever been a more empty 12-1 season?

UM was the only marquee win you guys had and it’s not a marquee win anymore
It could be worse. We could Spartan fans. Who's players and coaches are corrupt and they still suck. Getting best by Nebraska LOL!

Notre Dame players don’t work out and practice? No wonder they lost badly.
They do, they just don't spend 40-50 hrs per week on football related activities like the Clemson players do. At places like Clemson and 'Bama they are there for 1 reason, to play football.

While ND players are cramming for a calculus or physics final the Clemson players were in the gym, film room and on the field.

Whatever some here think - 3 & 4 star guys cannot compete with 4 & 5 star guys. How many times does there have to be a beat down to realize this? It just won't happen. Just because we can't name their 5 Star guys doesn't mean they aren't there, that's pure BS.

Reactions: Mihalko35
Do we all feel the ND guys were busy cramming for a calculus or physics exam this week? There are times to be realistic. If you want to play with the big boys you just have to do the things to compete with them. (Or join the Ivy league, or be realistic you are going to be a "B" level competitor)

So the pass that Vaughn defended perfectly in the endzone and Higgins just made a stupid catch when off the deflection is an automatic stop if Julian Love was in the game?

How about the pass to Ross to end the half when he ran right pass Gilman? If Julian Love is on the field he can cover his guy and and Gilman's?

Come on Farly, you're one of the good ones! Don't fall into the trap and go full potato.

Julian Love probably stops 7-10 points and Clemson doesn't pull their starters in the 3rd quarter.

They don’t throw the passes in the first place.

If Love is in the game Lawrence doesn’t just take the snap & throw it straight down the sideline 3 times deep. He did it because Love wasn’t there. Why didn’t he do it at all before Love got hurt?

I was texting with a friend I train with who played D in the NFL for 7 seasons who now coaches LBs in the NFL.

He explained to me (since I’m not an X’s & O’s guy) what ND’s strategy was & how it was affected.

ND was leaving Love on an island. Bringing a Safety down to stop the run so Eitenne couldn’t get going. Then dropping the other Safety deep to stop big plays. Playing everybody else straight up. Bringing heat with backers & edge rushers, knowing the secondary was fine & the Safety in the box would clean up.
The first 30 minutes Clemson struggled. Couldn’t get the run going & Lawrence wasn’t getting sacked, but was flushed out & either ran for a few yards, dumped it off for a few yards, or threw it away. Thus 3 points coming off a ND turnover at midfield.

Then Love goes out.

Now ND drops back both safeties. Slows on the blitzes.
Clemson OC realizes Love is not out there & calls deep throws at Vaughn. Also notices ND is less aggressive.
The outcome?

When ND backs off Lawrence just scans the field with all day to find someone.
When ND shows pressure Lawrence takes the snap & throws deep down the sideline agsinst Vaughn without hesitation (so no rush can get there on a 3 step drop), & figures his guy beats Vaughn.
When ND tried to help Vaughn & bring pressure you get a Safety (Gilman) 1 on 1 vs a really good WR in the open field.

Go back & watch. Once Love is out Lawrence is getting the ball & throwing immediately before ND can do anything. It’s because he always had a presnap mismatch on the field.
When Love was in the game he was forced to go through progressing while getting pressure. Huge difference.

I went & watched it again & looked for what he told me to look at & he was dead on. He told me those throws down the sideline were presnap reads that allowed him to comfortably throw to his guy before pressure could get to him that Clemson never through while Love was in the game. Said the TDS don’t happen with Love because the throws don’t happen in the first place.
And it’s not a coincidence that when Love returned ND sacked Lawrence twice & dropped an INT on the first 4 possessions in the 2nd half when Clemson was still trying to score.

I see nothing he told me that wasnt accurate?

They don’t throw the passes in the first place.

If Love is in the game Lawrence doesn’t just take the snap & throw it straight down the sideline 3 times deep. He did it because Love wasn’t there. Why didn’t he do it at all before Love got hurt?

I was texting with a friend I train with who played D in the NFL for 7 seasons who now coaches LBs in the NFL.

He explained to me (since I’m not an X’s & O’s guy) what ND’s strategy was & how it was affected.

ND was leaving Love on an island. Bringing a Safety down to stop the run so Eitenne couldn’t get going. Then dropping the other Safety deep to stop big plays. Playing everybody else straight up. Bringing heat with backers & edge rushers, knowing the secondary was fine & the Safety in the box would clean up.
The first 30 minutes Clemson struggled. Couldn’t get the run going & Lawrence wasn’t getting sacked, but was flushed out & either ran for a few yards, dumped it off for a few yards, or threw it away. Thus 3 points coming off a ND turnover at midfield.

Then Love goes out.

Now ND drops back both safeties. Slows on the blitzes.
Clemson OC realizes Love is not out there & calls deep throws at Vaughn. Also notices ND is less aggressive.
The outcome?

When ND backs off Lawrence just scans the field with all day to find someone.
When ND shows pressure Lawrence takes the snap & throws deep down the sideline agsinst Vaughn without hesitation (so no rush can get there on a 3 step drop), & figures his guy beats Vaughn.
When ND tried to help Vaughn & bring pressure you get a Safety (Gilman) 1 on 1 vs a really good WR in the open field.

Go back & watch. Once Love is out Lawrence is getting the ball & throwing immediately before ND can do anything. It’s because he always had a presnap mismatch on the field.
When Love was in the game he was forced to go through progressing while getting pressure. Huge difference.

I went & watched it again & looked for what he told me to look at & he was dead on. He told me those throws down the sideline were presnap reads that allowed him to comfortably throw to his guy before pressure could get to him that Clemson never through while Love was in the game. Said the TDS don’t happen with Love because the throws don’t happen in the first place.
And it’s not a coincidence that when Love returned ND sacked Lawrence twice & dropped an INT on the first 4 possessions in the 2nd half when Clemson was still trying to score.

I see nothing he told me that wasnt accurate?

The coaching staff had to realize this as well what is the adjustment. Defensively they were trying to fill the spot as best you think they can, but what did the offense do to try to take the pressure off the defense?
Where they capably , or is it a case you live, and die by the offense you run?

The coaching staff had to realize this as well what is the adjustment. Defensively they were trying to fill the spot as best you think they can, but what did the offense do to try to take the pressure off the defense?
Where they capably , or is it a case you live, and die by the offense you run?

The D tried.
But a 1 on 1 down the sideline is tough to stop scheming wise.
Then Okwara goes down.
So it’s a gamble. Do you send backers & get burned or try to rush with your DL & give them time?
The offense probably never imagined Book pooping the bed.
He ran himself into sacks. He missed wide open receivers while scrambling & when he had receivers open in space he threw at their feet. Not much scheming the O can do about that.
With Love in the game & a few booth non-eff ups, ND loses by 7-10.
The narrative is completely different.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
The D tried.
Then Okwara goes down.
So it’s a gamble. Do you send backers & get burned or try to rush with your DL & give them time?
He ran himself into sacks. He missed wide open receivers while scrambling & when he had receivers open in space he threw at their feet. Not much scheming the O can do about that.
Thank you brother

The D tried.
Then Okwara goes down.

Valid points but you can run your sideline receiver OB without drawing a flag

Valid points but you can run your sideline receiver OB without drawing a flag

If you run him out he legally can come back in and make the reception (as long as he re-establishes). It all happened so fast you can’t blame the kid.

No problem.

But I’m not the one to thank. I have many football guys I trust & listen to who provide me with info. So I’m more of just a messenger than anything.
Was it brought up that BW might of shaken things up a bit since Book was having an off game though the pressure caused some of that jmo.

I think you're on to something here.

Let's just let anyone in, even if their GPA is 1.0. Why make them go to class? Let them spend all of their time in the weight room and watching film.
Excuses. Duke. Basketball. Is duke a ethically corrupt university now? Oh mean by god not all their players Graduate! The pity!

Excuses. Duke. Basketball. Is duke a ethically corrupt university now? Oh mean by god not all their players Graduate! The pity!
So, what comes next?

While we're at it, let's just throw all our principles out the window. Throw away character, integrity, etc. Who gives a damn what it takes to get that done? Let's just cheat like all hell to get the mission accomplished. Because it's all about winning a Natty, right?

Is that what you want?

If you run him out he legally can come back in and make the reception (as long as he re-establishes). It all happened so fast you can’t blame the kid.

I’m not blaming the kid, merely pointing out that with sideline routes it’s not unlike blocking out or screening in basketball and it’s difficult to determine if the receiver ran out or was forced out. At the very least it disrupts the timing and at the very worst it’s a penalty, which isn’t the worst outcome.

No, I said he had Larry Fitz upside if he could ever realize it and grow into his talent level.

Unfortunately he wasn't as good as I thought and still hasn't developed consistency. I overrated him for sure.
This has been a consistent problem during the Kelly era; players showing tons of promise early on; never seem to develop beyond where they started. Can we expect the next level at QB next year?? I bet not. Will Book really get better. At what point will Jurkovec step in and be considered the savior? Then, show some flash; level out, and we will all be asking: What happened to Jurkovec??

This has been a consistent problem during the Kelly era; players showing tons of promise early on; never seem to develop beyond where they started. Can we expect the next level at QB next year?? I bet not. Will Book really get better. At what point will Jurkovec step in and be considered the savior? Then, show some flash; level out, and we will all be asking: What happened to Jurkovec??

DC-TR-EG-TR-MZ-DK-BW-IB
next up for fickle fans:
->PJ-BClark-DPyne

So, what comes next?

While we're at it, let's just throw all our principles out the window. Throw away character, integrity, etc. Who gives a damn what it takes to get that done? Let's just cheat like all hell to get the mission accomplished. Because it's all about winning a Natty, right?

Is that what you want?
This is why people hate Notre Dame. Let’s not win shit, but then say it’s our principals holding us back. Every 5 star player on Clemson could get into and do well at ND. Every one. Times have changed, most if not all 5 stars could get in.

Also tell me, has duke basketball lost all integrity? Stop with the excuses.

Reactions: TwoTweezy
This is why people hate Notre Dame. Let’s not win shit, but then say it’s our principals holding us back. Every 5 star player on Clemson could get into and do well at ND. Every one. Times have changed, most if not all 5 stars could get in.

Did you go to college? If so, then you would understand what I'm saying.

I'm not making excuses. I'm saying I'd rather win the "right" way or lose. I've never compromised my "principles" in business and people that know me respect me for that.

Last edited:

In BB you only need 2-3 exceptional players with a few good players to win a NC.

Football takes dozens and dozens

In BB you only need 2-3 exceptional players with a few good players to win a NC.

Football takes dozens and dozens
I feel like from a depth and overall talent perspective we are good, but we are missing a handful of elite play makers.

Did you go to college? If so, then you would understand what I'm saying.

I'm not making excuses. I'm saying I'd rather win the "right" way or lose. I've never compromised my "principles" in business and people that know me respect me for that.
So were ND’s morals bad early in the lou era when the academic standards were lightened for football players? Is duke basketball’s principled compromised? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a kid knowing he’s elite and wanting to use Notre Dame to get to the league first and foremost.

Reactions: chaseball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT