ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching and Thought Process....

VTND

ND Expert
Feb 5, 2012
Why doesn't Kelly stick with what got him to the national championship game? Seems like he has declined a good bit. Why doesn't he see that the defense is too complicated as it is obvious to everyone. Also, Is it true he is good friends with Belichick and that he is waiting to replace him at New England?

Why doesn't Kelly stick with what got him to the national championship game? Seems like he has declined a good bit. Why doesn't he see that the defense is too complicated as it is obvious to everyone. Also, Is it true he is good friends with Belichick and that he is waiting to replace him at New England?
I don't have the mindset that most people on this board are "trolling" as most on here do so I will answer your question with a mature response.

As far as the defense goes I strongly feel that Kelly is far past the time where he should have stepped in and had the defense simplified. Clearly what has been going on for the last three years is not working so change is needed. He is the head coach and is ultimately responsible so something needs to change and should have a while ago.

Regarding your Kelly to the Patriots theory I don't feel this an outrageous statement at all. I say this because everyone knows he's from Massachusetts and most importantly I feel the timing of it all may hit at the right time. Say Belichick coaches another 4-6 years I think Kelly would be at a point where he would be looking to make the jump in that time frame. I'm just hoping Kelly gets a NC before he leaves South Bend.

Go Irish!!! Beat Sparty!!!

Reactions: greengael and VTND

He is below average intelligence....and has yet to establish an identity...

Today's LATimes....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-20160912-snap-story.html

"USC hopes one day soon it might look something like Stanford"

"In his news conference following a blowout win on Saturday, USCCoach Clay Helton reserved some of his most glowing praise for the very end of the session.

He complimented a team that physically punished its opponents, a team that controlled the clock and pounded the ball.

It was a team that was not, in fact, his team — at least not yet. He was talking about Stanford.

“They are,” Helton said, “what we try to be.”"

I don't disagree that Kelly is ultimately responsible for the entire team, defense included. He has stepped in and they have simplified the defensive scheme if you accept what he said this past Spring. Personally, I don't think it was a problem of the defensive scheme being too complicated against Texas, but rather the decision to go with the 3 man front, that lost the game for us. The defense was pretty basic and aggressive against Nevada, and so we don't have a measure of complexity off either game.

I hate like hell that each of BVG's years at ND, we've been faced with too many critical defensive players not being available for most if not all the season. Take Watkins and Butler and Crawford and Redfield out of the mix, and we've lost a ton of talent and knowledge. Elliot and Vaughn and Love will have to step up big time if we are to develop into a decent defense, and we'll start getting a better picture of the degree to which Kelly and BVG have simplified things this coming Saturday.

Reactions: greengael and VTND
Yes, because that is how the NFL replaces head coaches. They hire their good friends.
Im sure if a coach who has been as successful as Bill recommends somebody the pats would at least listen and take a strong look?

I'm more concerned about the pick play penalties, especially since it hasn't been corrected since Florida State. Blows my mind that this continues to happen when it's such a simple fix and anyone of us could walk into practice with the wide receivers and have it corrected in 15 minutes.

Pick play is the least of my worries (bad call against FSU). The D routinely gives up 40-50 pts.

Kelly had Diaco in 2012. A decent defense last year would have yielded playoffs for ND. A decent defense this year would do the same. ND is going to squander having the offensive production of Kizer with fielding poor defenses...especially if he leaves this year for the NFL.

I'm more concerned about the pick play penalties, especially since it hasn't been corrected since Florida State. Blows my mind that this continues to happen when it's such a simple fix and anyone of us could walk into practice with the wide receivers and have it corrected in 15 minutes.
Not sure it is that simple. The Patriots had numerous identical calls against them last year.

Reactions: Bodizephax
He is below average intelligence....and has yet to establish an identity...

Today's LATimes....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-20160912-snap-story.html

"USC hopes one day soon it might look something like Stanford"

"In his news conference following a blowout win on Saturday, USCCoach Clay Helton reserved some of his most glowing praise for the very end of the session.

He complimented a team that physically punished its opponents, a team that controlled the clock and pounded the ball.

It was a team that was not, in fact, his team — at least not yet. He was talking about Stanford.

“They are,” Helton said, “what we try to be.”"

Cgvr=Moron. The reality is Brian Kelly is at the top of his profession and you are a jock sniffing football ignoramus.

Cgvr=Moron. The reality is Brian Kelly is at the top of his profession and you are a jock sniffing football ignoramus.

Hey, in the future you should leave your wife out of discussions.

Did you happen to watch the Alabama Game?

Reactions: VTND
Im sure if a coach who has been as successful as Bill recommends somebody the pats would at least listen and take a strong look?

Bill would probably mention about 15 guys. Most would be on his current staff or guys who have worked for him. That's about as far as it goes with regard to his input.

BK and Co. are sending plenty of guys from offense and defense to the NFL. Player development is no longer an issue and recruiting is going well. The mindset of the team going into a game is the issue, IMHO.

Kelly still makes statements like: we'll wait and see what Texas is going to do blah, blah, blah. How do you prepare your team during the week when your strategy is 'let's wait till the game starts and see what the other team is doing'. I used to get so upset with CW when he would say things like 'we're going to take what they give us' type of bs.

That's just being lazy and having no foresight. You study film and go for their juggler and do not let up until the other team agrees to forfeit the rest of the game.

The mentality of 'we'll see what the other team gives us to exploit' is pure bs! I want a coach that dictates and dominates a game not one that plays the game from a reactionary standpoint. I could care less what Texas does - dominate them and make them react to ND's play.

BK and Co. are sending plenty of guys from offense and defense to the NFL. Player development is no longer an issue and recruiting is going well. The mindset of the team going into a game is the issue, IMHO.

Kelly still makes statements like: we'll wait and see what Texas is going to do blah, blah, blah. How do you prepare your team during the week when your strategy is 'let's wait till the game starts and see what the other team is doing'. I used to get so upset with CW when he would say things like 'we're going to take what they give us' type of bs.

That's just being lazy and having no foresight. You study film and go for their juggler and do not let up until the other team agrees to forfeit the rest of the game.

The mentality of 'we'll see what the other team gives us to exploit' is pure bs! I want a coach that dictates and dominates a game not one that plays the game from a reactionary standpoint. I could care less what Texas does - dominate them and make them react to ND's play.
Now you are paying attention....
Stanford has stolen our brand....intellectual and physical brutality....
Porky is a cupcake....

Porky is a cupcake....
As much as I hate to say it - you are right. Michigan is doing the same thing.

Reactions: cgvr
Porky is a cupcake....
BTW, I put you on ignore for a while. You said something stupid and I ignored you.

You are spot on in this reply. So, if you quit making stupid comments then I will not put you on ignore.

BTW, I put you on ignore for a while. You said something stupid and I ignored you.

You are spot on in this reply. So, if you quit making stupid comments then I will not put you on ignore.

Why do you have bodi's girlfriend as your avatar?

What will you say when we beat Stanford in a few weeks?

We have a shot. That # 63 Rivals class of their's (juniors) should haunt... However, that will do zero to diminish their recent run.

I envy their FB brand, school and season ending results. It's obvious that they have superior coaching and it's not close. Butterball better get his head out of bvg's rear end.....

Notre Dame Final AP rankings
2010 NR
2011 NR
2012 4
2013 20
2014 NR
2015 11

Stanford Final AP rankings:
2010 4
2011 7
2012 7
2013 11
2014 NR
2015 3

Rivals recruiting rankings ND ’10-‘16
2010 ND 14
2011 ND 10
2012 ND 20
2013 ND 3
2014 ND 11
2015 ND 11
2016 ND 13

Rivals recruiting rankings Stanford ’10-‘15
2010 Stanford 26
2011 Stanford 22
2012 Stanford 5
2013 Stanford 63
2014 Stanford 14
2015 Stanford 18
2016 Stanford 19

Reactions: Howard Hall 74
Bodi just wants to cuddle up with something lovable...can you blame him?
Plus, he can save his breath. He was admittedly drooling over Duo's avatars. I bet the "Farmers Only" commercials send him into a frenzy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT