ADVERTISEMENT

Young Team

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
I did not watch the entire game. I spent a good hour watching all the tape available. The team looks young and less talented. I went back and watched previous years spring games and we looked like men with NFL talent. I think realistically we are in for quite a disappointment this year. Coan is nothing compared to Ian Book. He's mediocre. Book was not Trevor Lawrence, but he was a damn good college quarterback and the best college QB we've had since Brady Quinn in my opinion. The amount of talent we had on last seasons team was evident in the NFL draft. We had some rockstars. I'm excited about things to come, but I think we are going to see a significant drop this year and unfortunately I think QB is going to be our biggest weakness. Coan is fine, I'm glad he transferred, but there are too many holes. I do not see a path to the playoff and I think we are going to struggle with FSU.

Wow, slow down my friend. ND's three best players did not play. We are talking two first rounders and a second round pick in the NFL. What people saw on Saturday is not even close to the product we will see this fall. The defense was strictly vanilla. The only drop off I see will be in the o-line, but that will be short lived through reps. Patterson will be back soon another grown man. ND has two grown men as Freshman on the o-line. All American Mayer did not play, nor did all american Hamilton. ND has three corner backs who can play.
QB play might be a little unstable trying to plug a transfer in, once again, reps, reps, reps, or a kid who has very little experience. Then we have the QB of the future who did not play for an entire year. I would say this team has a very distinctive growing curve. ND just needs to get pass FSU than it has a couple of easier teams to grow against

Reactions: irishalice and VTND
I did not watch the entire game. I spent a good hour watching all the tape available. The team looks young and less talented. I went back and watched previous years spring games and we looked like men with NFL talent. I think realistically we are in for quite a disappointment this year. Coan is nothing compared to Ian Book. He's mediocre. Book was not Trevor Lawrence, but he was a damn good college quarterback and the best college QB we've had since Brady Quinn in my opinion. The amount of talent we had on last seasons team was evident in the NFL draft. We had some rockstars. I'm excited about things to come, but I think we are going to see a significant drop this year and unfortunately I think QB is going to be our biggest weakness. Coan is fine, I'm glad he transferred, but there are too many holes. I do not see a path to the playoff and I think we are going to struggle with FSU.
Taking anything overly positive or negative from a spring game is silly. That is the absolutely the worst format for evaluating any team. Coaches hate them for a reason. The very best thing that can come out of a spring game is no injuries.

Reactions: Irish Duck
Unlike the most of the guys on this board, bringing in Coan was a massive mistake. It’s pretty much guaranteed Kelly starts him and gives back up reps split between Pyne and Buchner. Going into next summer we are going to be in the exact same boat 4 QBs with no big game experience. Oh and we open @ Ohio State.

Was Jimmy Clausen the QB in the game you were watching?????

ND has an offensive line with guys that are 6’6, 6’7 330 pounds plus and they are freshman.

TE’s that could play in the NFL today.

A defensive front that are pure monsters.

What are you talking about?

This is a freshman!!! Standing next to last year’s lineman Liam Eichenberg. 6’5 340
607b6e57c92b4.image.jpg

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Couldn't disagree more.

Add in the fact Hamilton, Mayer, Patterson and Austin didn't play, I think we looked really talented

Reactions: Zorich 88
Inexperience will be the biggest issue this fall. if you look at their schedule, they should be favored in almost every game. USC is an exception. This might be one of those years where just winning is enough. I think there will be a learning curve , especially on offense with a new QB and new lineman. The offense will need to get an identity and mesh. The defense does lose some key players. However, there are several starters back that are very experienced. That should help the younger newer players. Never discount senior leadership. Unlike the pro game, there is little room for error. Finding a way to win until the team gels, i'd be happy with that. There are more questions than answers at this point. We just have to see how it all plays out.

Last edited:
Taking anything overly positive or negative from a spring game is silly. That is the absolutely the worst format for evaluating any team. Coaches hate them for a reason. The very best thing that can come out of a spring game is no injuries.
Exactly. Even as a fan I don't like the spring game. Every year I eagerly await the spring game and come away disappointed, as I watch a dud of a game. Still a long way till September and a lot of practices to be had. No conclusions should be made at this point.

Reactions: Zorich 88
I think you may be looking at the game from the wrong angle. Look at the players individually and piece together the team. It's not starters vs 2nd team. I watch spring game to see football and the talent on the field. There was more than a few freshmen on that field Saturday. I saw a lot of promising players Saturday. Well see in a few short months. Go Irish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT