ADVERTISEMENT

Wisc Line

How do you chuck it all over the field without blocking?
Pass pro has been ok…. Wisconsin line isn’t a fast defensive line, they will push the pocket more and try to confuse Coan on back end.

yiu get creative on first down to stay downs Nd distance so Wisconsin just can’t T off. Mayer should be more open this game than Purdue.

Hey guys, Badger fan here. I'll be on a plane during this game, unfortunately, but I think I'll be able to watch. Anyway, I would bet the under on this game.

The Badger D is being underestimated here, IMO, but Coan does know better than any player in CFB about what they're trying to do. There was a graphic shown in the last game that shows the Badgers are in the top 5 defenses of college football over the last 5, 10, and 15 years. Most people think of the identity of Badger football as the ground-and-pound offense, for good reason, but the D has been very good, and it's not common knowledge. I do think the secondary is the weak spot, especially on deep balls. The antidote to that is pass rush, so if and when ND can protect, they should have some success.

The Badger offense is the opposite. We've been very spoiled with NFL RBs who almost perennially won Doak Walker awards. When Jonathan Taylor left after the 2019 season, the string ended. Mellusi transferred in from Clemson, and he's good, but he is not the guy who can take it the distance on any play. Guerrendo, who is one of the two other RBs who'll get carries, does have that element, but he doesn't always hit the right hole. Anyway, the inability to make the quick strike TD means UW has to go on 10+ play drives to score, and mistakes can be and are made when you have to do it that way. That keeps the other team in the game.

Anyway, I'm glad this matchup is finally here! Have fun!

We made improvements against Purdue, which I think may actually be a decent team. They were 2-0 heading into our game. And we should continue improving on both offense and defense. But Wisconsin has a very good defense. So I predict a slugfest, with the Irish pulling it out by a field goal.

Pass pro has been ok…. Wisconsin line isn’t a fast defensive line, they will push the pocket more and try to confuse Coan on back end.

yiu get creative on first down to stay downs Nd distance so Wisconsin just can’t T off. Mayer should be more open this game than Purdue.
Purdue made it a point to shut down Mayer. Now Austin needs to come of age now.

I want to see Rees earn his place this weekend. This is the type of game where ND could have a game plan to exploit wisconsin weaknesses and hide some of our inefficiencies

With a 46.5 O/U and a point spre
Is that the final? OU is 46.5, one of the lowest of the day.
With an O/U of 46.5 and a spread of 6.5 Vegas is stating that the score will be about 27-20 Wisconsin. I don’t know by that standard that’s deemed a low scoring game.

The weather forecast appears to be good which should help our passing game.

Reactions: tbonesays
Feeling like this is the week for our Irish to start resembling what we all hoped for. Coan will be pumped up, Botelho will play more, our LB's will have a solid day against their running attack and I think Hamilton picks off a pass again. On offense, I feel like we'll mix it up enough to make some plays. I like our Irish being an underdog - gives BK and the staff plenty of motivational ammunition. Seeing most predictions for UW and a score of 27-20 +/-.....

I'll take our Irish winning 30-24ish........

Reactions: IrishMike409

With an O/U of 46.5 and a spread of 6.5 Vegas is stating that the score will be about 27-20 Wisconsin. I don’t know by that standard that’s deemed a low scoring game.

Thank goodness we're not playing today. We would be in trouble!

Reactions: badger-007
Hey guys, Badger fan here. I'll be on a plane during this game, unfortunately, but I think I'll be able to watch. Anyway, I would bet the under on this game.

The Badger D is being underestimated here, IMO, but Coan does know better than any player in CFB about what they're trying to do. There was a graphic shown in the last game that shows the Badgers are in the top 5 defenses of college football over the last 5, 10, and 15 years. Most people think of the identity of Badger football as the ground-and-pound offense, for good reason, but the D has been very good, and it's not common knowledge. I do think the secondary is the weak spot, especially on deep balls. The antidote to that is pass rush, so if and when ND can protect, they should have some success.

The Badger offense is the opposite. We've been very spoiled with NFL RBs who almost perennially won Doak Walker awards. When Jonathan Taylor left after the 2019 season, the string ended. Mellusi transferred in from Clemson, and he's good, but he is not the guy who can take it the distance on any play. Guerrendo, who is one of the two other RBs who'll get carries, does have that element, but he doesn't always hit the right hole. Anyway, the inability to make the quick strike TD means UW has to go on 10+ play drives to score, and mistakes can be and are made when you have to do it that way. That keeps the other team in the game.

Anyway, I'm glad this matchup is finally here! Have fun!
Yes me too. I don't recall in my lifetime seeing ND play Wisc, Iowa, Minnesota etc. It was just the same three UM/MSU/PU over and over again. I would rather see it Camp Randall though.

Nothing to add on the strategy, we can't really run, they say you can't really pass.

We made improvements against Purdue, which I think may actually be a decent team. They were 2-0 heading into our game. And we should continue improving on both offense and defense. But Wisconsin has a very good defense. So I predict a slugfest, with the Irish pulling it out by a field goal.

Maybe. We don't know if we improved or Purdue was just worse. It might be a stretch to say the Boilers were worse than the Rockets but not a long one. We should know by high noon Saturday.

btw the problem with FOX's 'Big Noon' is that it's Big 9am out West.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Yes me too. I don't recall in my lifetime seeing ND play Wisc, Iowa, Minnesota etc. It was just the same three UM/MSU/PU over and over again. I would rather see it Camp Randall though.
This. If the game were being played at Camp Randall, I would be there. But since they are playing at Soldier Field, I will watch on TV.

Nothing to add on the strategy, we can't really run, they say you can't really pass.

Maybe. We don't know if we improved or Purdue was just worse. It might be a stretch to say the Boilers were worse than the Rockets but not a long one. We should know by high noon Saturday.

We also played Northwestern a lot, Indiana and Ohio State a couple of times, and Penn St., a late arrival to the Big 1O.

I'm pretty certain the last time we played Wisconsin was in 1964, Ara's first year.

Yes, I'd like both teams to play in their home stadiums, but times have changed. I was hoping to go last year with my son because I've never seen a game in Lambeau Field (the only NFL stadium to be named after a former ND player) and I've been a lifelong Packers fan.

Purdue at least has a win over Oregon State out of the Pac-12 on their resume, so I think they're probably better than Toledo.

47 points is a low OU for college

Not a problem in this house. I'm looking forward to it. The 6am start, when Notre Dame played in Dublin was even better. If I ever move back to the East Coast time zone, the 8:30 start times would be brutal.

Not a problem in this house. I'm looking forward to it. The 6am start, when Notre Dame played in Dublin was even better. If I ever move back to the East Coast time zone, the 8:30 start times would be brutal.
I set my flip phone alarm for that game. It seems funny how young and excited I was. Now I don't set an alarm and likely will log in during the 4th qtr.

ND use to play Northwestern, Purdue, and Michigan State a lot. They were after Michigan back in the 60's but they wanted no part of a Parseghian coached ND squad. Bo and Ara were good friends and Ara said Bo promised to play ND but it never happened. Penn State has played ND only twice since they joined the Big 10. They played a lot during Lou Holtz time at ND. I miss the ND annual games against Purdue, Michigan State, and Michigan.

ND use to play Northwestern, Purdue, and Michigan State a lot. They were after Michigan back in the 60's but they wanted no part of a Parseghian coached ND squad. Bo and Ara were good friends and Ara said Bo promised to play ND but it never happened. Penn State has played ND only twice since they joined the Big 10. They played a lot during Lou Holtz time at ND. I miss the ND annual games against Purdue, Michigan State, and Michigan.
Space on the schedule should be made for USC, Navy, and Purdue. The rest can take turns.

Should be a fun game and a great test. Wisc looks like a clean team, well coached, a team anyone would want to play.

I like their coach and their old AD. I would rather play Wisc than PSU, Mich or OSU.

On paper seems even. Their great D against our bad O. Only thing with our O is about 4 times a game it comes together and our athletes leave people in the dust.

Their bad O versus our rising D. Can we also stop the 60+ yard break down. If so, it’s like a Navy game. Get a stop and make them pay. Lots of FG’s here it feels.

low scoring affair I think. I like our chances if we have the ball last and within 5.

Should be a fun game and a great test. Wisc looks like a clean team, well coached, a team anyone would want to play.

I like their coach and their old AD. I would rather play Wisc than PSU, Mich or OSU.

On paper seems even. Their great D against our bad O. Only thing with our O is about 4 times a game it comes together and our athletes leave people in the dust.

Their bad O versus our rising D. Can we also stop the 60+ yard break down. If so, it’s like a Navy game. Get a stop and make them pay. Lots of FG’s here it feels.

low scoring affair I think. I like our chances if we have the ball last and within 5.
I agree except Wisconsin is obviously better than Navy. For me, the biggest positive from ND this season has been how well Coan has played. The biggest disappointment has to be the offensive line. I'm also still nervous about our defense in general, but specifically our defensive backs' ability to tackle except for Hamilton.

I see a game in which the Wisconsin offense either scores just enough to have the lead midway through the 4th quarter and then just deflate the football with a 6 or 7 minute possession to either run out the clock or score the winning or clinching TD.

Reactions: badger-007
BK seems to give emphasis toward USC, Navy, and Stanford. He wants ND playing on the West Coast every year. 5 ACC, 3 annual games, and four games for other teams or more ACC teams.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
BK seems to give emphasis toward USC, Navy, and Stanford. He wants ND playing on the West Coast every year. 5 ACC, 3 annual games, and four games for other teams or more ACC teams.
For many, many years ND has played in a "warm" weather climate for the last game of the season. For most of the past two decades, we have alternated our final games at USC and Stanford, though I don't know how balmy Palo Alto is at the end of November.

Ara, we need to play more SEC teams. If Knute was around today he would want to schedule the best !

You know Bodi we have future series with Florida, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Alabama. Most SEC teams don't want to play strong out of conference teams. ND did just finish a series with Georgia and before that Vandy. They have such a tough conference schedule is the reason they give for playing FCS schools and super cupcakes in their OCG.

You know Bodi we have future series with Florida, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Alabama. Most SEC teams don't want to play strong out of conference teams. ND did just finish a series with Georgia and before that Vandy. They have such a tough conference schedule is the reason they give for playing FCS schools and super cupcakes in their OCG.
Don’t forget we played Tennessee in recent years, most recently in 2004 and 2005.

Why? I am an ND fan like everyone else on here. There are certain realities. 1. Not a home game. 2. Poor performances to date. 3. Wisconisn is a quality team that is benefitting from a week off. This will show itself in the 4th quarter. 4. ND has suffered some key injuries. 5. Wisconsin is fundamentally sound and we are not. They will wear us down and pull away in the second half. If our offense gets pass happy with a weak run game and we keep going 3 and out which is what I predict, then yes we will be defeated by a large margin.

This post aged well.

You got me on this one. But I have always touted Drew Pyne who I believe made the difference in addition to Tyrees kick return. I am glad I was grossly wrong.

You got me on this one. But I have always touted Drew Pyne who I believe made the difference in addition to Tyrees kick return. I am glad I was grossly wrong.

You predicted Wisconsin would win by 3-4 TDs. They scored only 13 points. Defense was excellent. At least you owned up to the error of your ways. Gotta give you credit for that.

You were embarrassingly wrong. They had no chance of beating us by 3 or 4 scores

Maybe right on Pyne. He's quick but looks like he lacks deep ball.

Maybe right on Pyne. He's quick but looks like he lacks deep ball.
I think Pyne has a better feel for the offense. Remember he came in cold with no real game experience, on a big stage, at a crucial part of the game and he was highly efficient.

I think Pyne has a better feel for the offense. Remember he came in cold with no real game experience, on a big stage, at a crucial part of the game and he was highly efficient.
When the Wisconsin D was tired and had no film on him and had a short field. He pmayed well but slow down

When the Wisconsin D was tired and had no film on him and had a short field. He pmayed well but slow down
Cmon man, the guy came in cold off the bench with no real game experience and he played like a pro. I understand that Wisc. had no film on him which I will give you. But Pyne's height issue is completely overblown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT