ADVERTISEMENT

Wisc Line

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
This AM it was Wisky -1.0. If you look at the teams stat averages, ND averages much more offense (how is that possible) but Wisc. Defense surrenders much less.

Everything else (TO's, Penalty yardage, etc...) is dead even.

So, does Freeman have the Irish D where he wants them now? As much as we were blasting him, you have to say his D against Purdue was stellar. Have not seen our D play like that all year.....I watched the Wisc/PSU. Wisc gave the game to PSU more than they lost. Their D looked good, their O not so much. QB play was bad. Lets hope their QB doesn't do well with pressure because that we have brought all year.

I heard ND's line play graded out this week worse then the last two weeks. Not sure how that was possible. ND has not put a complete game together yet. Against Purdue there were 2 TD passes dropped that hit people in the hands, a missed FG and a few other long passes that were dropped. There were also bad over throws to wide open receivers. TR put them in a position to hang 50+ on Purdue and the D shut them down.

Is this the week the Irish O puts it together with the D? Sounds like Wisc has a stout defense...

Reactions: IrishMike409
This AM it was Wisky -1.0. If you look at the teams stat averages, ND averages much more offense (how is that possible) but Wisc. Defense surrenders much less.

So, does Freeman have the Irish D where he wants them now? As much as we were blasting him, you have to say his D against Purdue was stellar. Have not seen our D play like that all year.....I watched the Wisc/PSU. Wisc gave the game to PSU more than they lost. Their D looked good, their O not so much. QB play was bad. Lets hope their QB doesn't do well with pressure because that we have brought all year.

I heard ND's line play graded out this week worse then the last two weeks. Not sure how that was possible. ND has not put a complete game together yet. Against Purdue there were 2 TD passes dropped that hit people in the hands, a missed FG and a few other long passes that were dropped. There were also bad over throws to wide open receivers. TR put them in a position to hang 50+ on Purdue and the D shut them down.

Is this the week the Irish O puts it together with the D? Sounds like Wisc has a stout defense...

I'm thinking something like 10-3. I have no idea who will win.

Wisconsin lost a close one to number six Penn State. Then crushed eastern Michigan. After three games our OL had not improved and we cannot run the ball. Wisconsin by far will be the best DL we face. But we do have enough skill players on offense of Tommy calls a good game we can score points. The defense is looking better and the defensive line is very good. If Berthelo is actually on the line I think it will even be better. But I still think we lose this one.

Wisconsin -4.5 to -5.5. Badgers outplayed PSU for most of the game and sort of gave it away with unforced turnovers. Should be more ND fans in the stands than if the game was played in Madison.

Well; Just checked out the statistics of the first to W games. Wow, W had huge advantage in time of possession in both games; more first downs by large margins. They lost to Penn State because of the 3 turnovers. Question:
Will the ND defense be able to get off the field? Will ND have enough possessions to make up any early deficit? Penn State had only 11 first downs to 29 for Wisconsin. Doesn't look like Wisconsin can score quickly. My concern; Notre Dame won't have very many possessions.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Well; Just checked out the statistics of the first to W games. Wow, W had huge advantage in time of possession in both games; more first downs by large margins. They lost to Penn State because of the 3 turnovers. Question:
Will the ND defense be able to get off the field? Will ND have enough possessions to make up any early deficit? Penn State had only 11 first downs to 29 for Wisconsin. Doesn't look like Wisconsin can score quickly. My concern; Notre Dame won't have very many possessions.
Wisconsins offense is very average.

Saw it at ND +5.5 right now

The line is all over the place. Today it was -3. I was shocked how poorly their QB played against PSU. I hope that guy shows up. Wisc line is stout, I could see ND using the TE’s and lots of screens, I don’t see us pushing it deep as much as Coan and time don’t seem to work this year with our pass blocking. I could see Buchner being a better choice to keep them honest. If ND can catch the dang ball we got a shot.

Wiscy has to be the least efficient team ever. Every time I check they drive the ball between the 20s and come up empty handed.

I don't think a one dimensional offense will beat ND. ND 24 Wisky 17.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see ND beating Wisky unless the defense plays a lights out game and gets a ton of TOs. NDs offense is just garbage and their is no other way to put it.

One of the stunning things I saw Sat was just how terrible our WRs are getting off press coverage. If you have physical CB who can press you can eliminate NDs WRs.

Reactions: HDK
ND has literally 5 skill players (MM, Kyren, Tyree, Austin, Lenzy) that Wisconsin flat out can’t match up with.

Yes- there are deficiencies on offense and the OL is a huge question mark, but our skill guys will make plays. Also, our D vs WI O is a push, worst case scenario. Can’t see Wisconsin scoring more than 24 or so points. If the ND offense can manufacture a few TDs…..we’ll win.

Wisconsin lost a close one to number six Penn State. Then crushed eastern Michigan. After three games our OL had not improved and we cannot run the ball. Wisconsin by far will be the best DL we face. But we do have enough skill players on offense of Tommy calls a good game we can score points. The defense is looking better and the defensive line is very good. If Berthelo is actually on the line I think it will even be better. But I still think we lose this one.
The stats from the Purdue game are pretty amazing. Coan was under pressure on something like 43% of his passes, which is a very high percentage. He still managed over ten throws of twenty yards or more, and We had seven dropped passes, two of which we’re sure TD’s. Add the fact that this was Coan’s worst game for accuracy, and you get the feeling this offense is misfiring all over the place, but with lots of correctible pieces. I think this game will define our offense and we will walk out with our offensive identity…either a one dimensional mistake prone offense or a quick strike offensive powerhouse, or a hybrid of both. I hope to be pleasantly surprised!

I expect Coan to take a lot of sacks. He also turns the ball over a lot. Not a good combo against a Wisconsin team that is a classic get up by 7 and pound the rock and run the clock out style team.

The stats from the Purdue game are pretty amazing. Coan was under pressure on something like 43% of his passes, which is a very high percentage. He still managed over ten throws of twenty yards or more, and We had seven dropped passes, two of which we’re sure TD’s. Add the fact that this was Coan’s worst game for accuracy, and you get the feeling this offense is misfiring all over the place, but with lots of correctible pieces. I think this game will define our offense and we will walk out with our offensive identity…either a one dimensional mistake prone offense or a quick strike offensive powerhouse, or a hybrid of both. I hope to be pleasantly surprised!
Not holding my breath.

The problem is under Kelly its always something with the offense. Can't score in the RZ. Can't run the ball. Can't get big passing plays. Our QB has a weak arm. Don't have big play WRs. The OL is inexperienced.

Year after year our offense is mediocre and every year there is a different excuse. Its been 12 years now so its safe to say ND will never have an offense capable of winning a playoff game under Kelly.

I hope so. They are the one unit that has progressed each week without a doubt. Everyone knows what Wisco wants to do, run the ball and look for something off play action. If ND can stop the run its a W. Wisco doesn't have the athletes outside to hurt us much. As for the D, itll be tough to run the ball but their secondary isn't as strong as they have had especially at safety. All in all, this is a very winnable game and I am expecting they win, otherwise ill have to listen to my wife ( Wisconsin grad) talk trash to me for a long time lol.

An OL doesn't simply "get good" in 7 days. They have personnel issues that won't be resolved without 1. Better players 2. Better coaching.

Reactions: Java65
I
An OL doesn't simply "get good" in 7 days. They have personnel issues that won't be resolved without 1. Better players 2. Better coaching.
If the OL is just average, we will win. Can they improve enough to be average is the question. They should be able to

Reactions: sluggo69
Wisconsin safeties are the slowest we will face this year…. We should be chucking it all over the field while mixing in running game and screens …. Will need to move the pocket some probably. Wisconsin will push the line back into Coan if we don’t get more drop back

On offense Wisconsin is physical as we know, need to slow run game with 6-7 so we don’t need to over commit numbers into the box

Tosh and Patterson are showing good improvement, and I'd say Cain has gotten a bit more comfortable as well. Zeke and Lugg are not getting better and Lugg may have played his worse game ever with Purdue.

Wisconsin safeties are the slowest we will face this year…. We should be chucking it all over the field while mixing in running game and screens …. Will need to move the pocket some probably. Wisconsin will push the line back into Coan if we don’t get more drop back

On offense Wisconsin is physical as we know, need to slow run game with 6-7 so we don’t need to over commit numbers into the box
Freeman showed he can stop prolific air attacks, I'm much more concerned with that three man front against Wisconsin. I feel like with 4 dl front we can match the physicality of Wisconsin, but that three man front is going to get gashed for 4-7 yards over and over.

The line is all over the place. Today it was -3. I was shocked how poorly their QB played against PSU. I hope that guy shows up. Wisc line is stout, I could see ND using the TE’s and lots of screens, I don’t see us pushing it deep as much as Coan and time don’t seem to work this year with our pass blocking. I could see Buchner being a better choice to keep them honest. If ND can catch the dang ball we got a shot.
that's tricky. You shouldn't stop throwing at a WR who constantly beats his man. The stats guys would say we are doomed to watch Austin/Lenzy miss on after another until variance evens out.

One of my worries with this game is that we go up a score or 2, and then try to just run and run to waste clock. If that happens, Wiscy will come storming back, and quickly.

One of my worries with this game is that we go up a score or 2, and then try to just run and run to waste clock. If that happens, Wiscy will come storming back, and quickly.
I dont know about quickly. They don't have that in them

ND out recruits Wisconsin every year …this game shouldn’t be close.

That’s not always the case though and you know it. How many starts does the Wisc OL have total? Their identity has been great running game. If they get push on our DL, it’ll be a long game for us.

Speaking of one dimensional you do realize we are one of the worst rushing teams in the country with 2.6 ypc right? If not for the KWillams 61 yard rush Saturday it would be even worse. And we haven't even played a good defense yet.
Good point !

Freeman showed he can stop prolific air attacks, I'm much more concerned with that three man front against Wisconsin. I feel like with 4 dl front we can match the physicality of Wisconsin, but that three man front is going to get gashed for 4-7 yards over and over.
Agree

Because the team is not prepared well this year. We have two coordinators struggling.

Freeman is calling less bonehead plays each game so that is a positive sign, but they're still being called.

Rees, i just don't see anything interesting about his offensive scheme. If you are going to have a bland offensive scheme you better execute great, we aren't executing and sustaining drives very well.

Luckilly, kelly has instilled a sense of winning in the program and we have significant talent. Those are the only two reasons we are winning.

Our offense was so bad the first half vs purdue.

Reactions: Java65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT