ADVERTISEMENT

Window about to shut for Phil J

88 is an idiot.
I see that in 2020 you are just as poorly reasonable as a day ago. Try accepting someone’s opinion as capable of being normal even if it differs from yours. Then critique it and post your thoughts that are contrary. It’s called discussion and debate. It’s not called juvenile name calling

I see that in 2020 you are just as poorly reasonable as a day ago. Try accepting someone’s opinion as capable of being normal even if it differs from yours. Then critique it and post your thoughts that are contrary. It’s called discussion and debate. It’s not called juvenile name calling

he is the board’s permanent wedgie

He says the same thing all the time. He has been debated a countless amount of time. There really is nothing left to debate with him over and over. He is an idiot. Its that simple

Reactions: IrishBlessings
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Especially when that opinion is backed up with facts. However, when your opinion is constantly proven wrong, it’s time to man up admit when your wrong and move on.

After the 4-9 season I jumped head first off the Kelly wagon. I wanted him OUT!

The number one reason? “ he cannot win the big game”.

However, When he went 12-0 again, I immediately admitted I was 100% wrong about Coach Kelly. After beating #7 Stanford week 5 of the 12-0 season, I just began to sit back and enjoy where Kelly and his staff has brought this program.

I could not be happier as an ND fan. Yes, we all want a championship but come on, how many teams have actually won a championship the past 10 seasons? 4 maybe?

This whole reply of yours makes zero sense.

If you do not believe Kelly is a good college coach then there is no reason to go back and forth with you.

If you do not believe Kelly took this program out of the trash heap and has built a strong program, you simply cannot admit when you are wrong.
Huh?

You wrote this post citing specifically why Book is playing and Phil isn't.
You imply Kelly does the right things like all coaches and plays the best QB.

To which I replied you've no idea WTH you're talking about. I pointed out to specific reasons why you're wrong.

Matter of fact Brian Kelly showed you over the last decade why you're wrong. He literally showed you he has no idea WTH he's doing with the QB position. It's not my opinion but one that's already been decided and played by the HC himself.

Lastly I said to you that you could praise Brian Kelly for different things except anything to do with the QB position.

Notice I said BK is lousy with the QB position.

You and I can disagree on many things BK related but absolutely nobody in their right mind can possibly defend his handling of the QB position. Sadly you don't just defend him but promote his handling of such an important position that has resulted in short comings and disappointment.

Huh?

To which I replied you've no idea WTH you're talking about. I pointed out to specific reasons why you're wrong.

Matter of fact Brian Kelly showed you over the last decade why you're wrong. He literally showed you he has no idea WTH he's doing with the QB position. It's not my opinion but one that's already been decided and played by the HC himself.

Lastly I said to you that you could praise Brian Kelly for different things except anything to do with the QB position.

You and I can disagree on many things BK related but absolutely nobody in their right mind can possibly defend his handling of the QB position. Sadly you don't just defend him but promote his handling of such an important position that has resulted in short comings and disappointment.
You're reasons were wrong. Just because you say them over and over doesnt mean they are right

Huh?

Your funny

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Especially when that opinion is backed up with facts. However, when your opinion is constantly proven wrong, it’s time to man up admit when your wrong and move on.

After the 4-9 season I jumped head first off the Kelly wagon. I wanted him OUT!

The number one reason? “ he cannot win the big game”.

However, When he went 12-0 again, I immediately admitted I was 100% wrong about Coach Kelly. After beating #7 Stanford week 5 of the 12-0 season, I just began to sit back and enjoy where Kelly and his staff has brought this program.

I could not be happier as an ND fan. Yes, we all want a championship but come on, how many teams have actually won a championship the past 10 seasons? 4 maybe?
I've said it a million times.

Championships might be what some people expect but not me.

I just simply want the team to compete with the very best in the country. If we can do that we have a chance.

Where we're at now in those elite games with high stakes we are close but not really. FSU in 14 was about it. That was Brian Kelly's finest hour IMO as a coach.
Since then we've been close...kind of...but not really.
Clemson in 15. We were close but we were clinging to desperation to tie it up.
Georgia in 17. It was a two point game but our offense was in typical BK fashion and anemic.
Georgia in 19. Sure we were within a score. Honestly we were very fortunate to be in that position. If Kirby goes for a few 4th and very short situations they run away with the game. (I've said before Kirby is the closest thing to Brian Kelly coaching another big time program) Even though it was within a score we needed a miracle to happen and it didn't.

When we look into the major bowl games when there's 5 weeks to prepare is really when the wheels fall off. Why is that? Think about that for a little bit. Regular season big matchups (minus Ann Arbor and Miami..more on that in a minute) we are fairly close. Sort of.
5 weeks to prepare for a major bowl which also means a major opponent....neutral setting...we get promptly blown out.
12 Bama
15 OSU
18 Clemson
All three opponents hammered us. I can take losing to all three but the way we lose is pathetic. We play scared, unprepared, tentative, disinterested. We play like we're lucky to be there while the opponent acts like they damn well deserve to be there and want to beat us by 75 points....by halftime. We look like we just happy to get some new t shirts and bowl game promo material. Go sightseeing in a new city or enjoy some famous eateries.

What are we doing with the extra 15 practices? Game planning? Nope. If we are it's a terrible plan.
Getting motivated? We don't play very excited.
Putting some new plays in trying to get an edge?
Absolutely not. It's literally the same identical plays we just ran 12 games prior. Same EXACT ones and some of which don't work against any opponent. The east west run play comes to mind. We broadcast this play and I know exactly when it's coming. Any decent team that watches even a few minutes of film knows exactly how to key on that play. Yet we insist on running that play. So in those 15 practices we get better at running stuff we could already run blindfolded and some that doesn't work at all. That's how we use the extra 15 practices. COME ON!

If we were actually close in those games I along with most of the board would be elated. We would have a chance to take advantage of a bad call or an untimely turnover, etc. It would mean we actually have a damn legit chance and it's only a matter of time before we catch a break.

Sadly we are a million miles from being close to that.

The QB position is one that can actually balance things out. Needing a spark, or carried to victory...the QB can make more of a difference than any other position.

BK and the QB position is a quagmire. They regress or remain stagnant. The wrong player gets the start. The plays being called and design of the plays are that of playing afraid to fail. If you play scared of failure you definitely won't succeed. Sure you can beat teams less talented playing that way but you won't eke out a victory against a great team playing timid and tentative. That's true in life itself. Look at businesses that reach the pinnacle of their industry. The high achievers are risk takers. Certainly early on they take a risk and failure can happen but they get up trying a different approach. A new approach yet still in risky fashion because to achieve the mountain top you take a high risk to enjoy the high reward.

The Michigan game this year....
All week leading to that game everybody knew of the weather in Ann Arbor Saturday night.
Yet Brian Kelly when asked how many wet weather practice sessions he got in his response was,,,,we didn't.
How the HELL can that be? He's the head coach of ND! How can he ignore inclement weather like that assuming our team is impervious to such conditions. Wet weather can affect even the greatest of teams yet he just chooses to ignore it.

The 7 false starts in Georgia? One? Ok. Two? Not ideal. 3rd time? Something is going on!! Let's get a timeout addressing all 11 players on offense including the rotational subs on what we're doing with the cadence. Instead he literally ignores this. He knows it's a problem but just stands there with that disgusted look doing nothing. Perhaps he's thinking of a good answer for the upcoming presser? Either way it's wrong twice over. Wrong that we're not collectively on the same page to begin with and the lack of fixing the problem is the second wrong.

The AA game and Miami...how do we literally show up to those games flatter than a sheet of glass.
Good teams love those challenges. Nothing feels better than going into a hostile environment and making eighty or one hundred thousand fans leave heartbroken. Going into a North Carolina and winning is nice but you know those moments I speak of.
Showing up disinterested and completley lackadaisical in a game of such magnitude is pathetic and unacceptable. Even more so given Ann Arbor was coming off a bye week.

I say again...this is the head coach of ND and there are far too many self destructing issues in lieu of the athlete ability.

Reactions: theskibro
I've said it a million times.

Championships might be what some people expect but not me.

I just simply want the team to compete with the very best in the country. If we can do that we have a chance.

Where we're at now in those elite games with high stakes we are close but not really. FSU in 14 was about it. That was Brian Kelly's finest hour IMO as a coach.
Since then we've been close...kind of...but not really.
Clemson in 15. We were close but we were clinging to desperation to tie it up.
Georgia in 17. It was a two point game but our offense was in typical BK fashion and anemic.
Georgia in 19. Sure we were within a score. Honestly we were very fortunate to be in that position. If Kirby goes for a few 4th and very short situations they run away with the game. (I've said before Kirby is the closest thing to Brian Kelly coaching another big time program) Even though it was within a score we needed a miracle to happen and it didn't.

When we look into the major bowl games when there's 5 weeks to prepare is really when the wheels fall off. Why is that? Think about that for a little bit. Regular season big matchups (minus Ann Arbor and Miami..more on that in a minute) we are fairly close. Sort of.
5 weeks to prepare for a major bowl which also means a major opponent....neutral setting...we get promptly blown out.
12 Bama
15 OSU
18 Clemson
All three opponents hammered us. I can take losing to all three but the way we lose is pathetic. We play scared, unprepared, tentative, disinterested. We play like we're lucky to be there while the opponent acts like they damn well deserve to be there and want to beat us by 75 points....by halftime. We look like we just happy to get some new t shirts and bowl game promo material. Go sightseeing in a new city or enjoy some famous eateries.

What are we doing with the extra 15 practices? Game planning? Nope. If we are it's a terrible plan.
Getting motivated? We don't play very excited.
Putting some new plays in trying to get an edge?
Absolutely not. It's literally the same identical plays we just ran 12 games prior. Same EXACT ones and some of which don't work against any opponent. The east west run play comes to mind. We broadcast this play and I know exactly when it's coming. Any decent team that watches even a few minutes of film knows exactly how to key on that play. Yet we insist on running that play. So in those 15 practices we get better at running stuff we could already run blindfolded and some that doesn't work at all. That's how we use the extra 15 practices. COME ON!

If we were actually close in those games I along with most of the board would be elated. We would have a chance to take advantage of a bad call or an untimely turnover, etc. It would mean we actually have a damn legit chance and it's only a matter of time before we catch a break.

Sadly we are a million miles from being close to that.

The QB position is one that can actually balance things out. Needing a spark, or carried to victory...the QB can make more of a difference than any other position.

BK and the QB position is a quagmire. They regress or remain stagnant. The wrong player gets the start. The plays being called and design of the plays are that of playing afraid to fail. If you play scared of failure you definitely won't succeed. Sure you can beat teams less talented playing that way but you won't eke out a victory against a great team playing timid and tentative. That's true in life itself. Look at businesses that reach the pinnacle of their industry. The high achievers are risk takers. Certainly early on they take a risk and failure can happen but they get up trying a different approach. A new approach yet still in risky fashion because to achieve the mountain top you take a high risk to enjoy the high reward.

The Michigan game this year....
All week leading to that game everybody knew of the weather in Ann Arbor Saturday night.
Yet Brian Kelly when asked how many wet weather practice sessions he got in his response was,,,,we didn't.
How the HELL can that be? He's the head coach of ND! How can he ignore inclement weather like that assuming our team is impervious to such conditions. Wet weather can affect even the greatest of teams yet he just chooses to ignore it.

The 7 false starts in Georgia? One? Ok. Two? Not ideal. 3rd time? Something is going on!! Let's get a timeout addressing all 11 players on offense including the rotational subs on what we're doing with the cadence. Instead he literally ignores this. He knows it's a problem but just stands there with that disgusted look doing nothing. Perhaps he's thinking of a good answer for the upcoming presser? Either way it's wrong twice over. Wrong that we're not collectively on the same page to begin with and the lack of fixing the problem is the second wrong.

The AA game and Miami...how do we literally show up to those games flatter than a sheet of glass.
Good teams love those challenges. Nothing feels better than going into a hostile environment and making eighty or one hundred thousand fans leave heartbroken. Going into a North Carolina and winning is nice but you know those moments I speak of.
Showing up disinterested and completley lackadaisical in a game of such magnitude is pathetic and unacceptable. Even more so given Ann Arbor was coming off a bye week.

I say again...this is the head coach of ND and there are far too many self destructing issues in lieu of the athlete ability.
You make no sense.
First you say at least be competitive in big games. Then you go onto list big games in which ND lost but they were competitive and only lost by a TD or less.

So are you saying fire Kelly?
If so, who just come in and take this program over?

Kelly is the best guy for the job. There is literally nothing Kelly can do to make you change your mind on him.

You make no sense.
First you say at least be competitive in big games. Then you go onto list big games in which ND lost but they were competitive and only lost by a TD or less.

So are you saying fire Kelly?
If so, who just come in and take this program over?

Kelly is the best guy for the job. There is literally nothing Kelly can do to make you change your mind on him.
I was completely crystal. You are looking at things with the Brian Kelly signature series sunglasses on.

I clearly said of the big regular season games we were truly, really close in one. To spell it out for you a game of the huge nature where we played good enough to truly win. Not just being lucky but really deserving.
FSU in 14 is the only one that comes to mind.
Georgia in 17 was a two point game but it certainly didn't feel like we were only down by two points.
Geirgia in 19 was a 6 point game. It sure didn't feel like it. Clemson in 15 didn't feel like a two point game.
What that means is it felt lucky to be in those situations at the end. Like we got lucky to even be that close. The FSU game I really felt we deserved that victory. Not so in the others.

Then I said when we have a major bowl game which means a great opponent and staff with 5 weeks to prepare we get ultra exposed. The wheels fall off.

Miami and Ann Arbor???
Stale QB play for a decade???
Juvenile self destruction like 7 false starts???
Ignorant to little details like wet weather practice???
15 extra practices of polishing garbage plays???
Robotic offense???
Lazy on offense walking around all game long???
Timid and tentative???
Acting like special teams is a formality and not an opportunity for offense???
Poor clock management???
Poor timeout management???
Hiring one of the pals from the country club???

I can give you another 50 reasons why the Brian Kelly ship should've sailed by now.

What exactly are you applauding of Brian Kelly?
Doing better than Charlie Weis or Willingham?
If that's what you're hanging your hat on that's pretty sad. That's like being the smartest person on the little bus. Being excited about a rust free car with a blown engine.

I refuse to buy into the poor us excuses of administration standards when the coach isn't doing simple and routine things. He's not putting the team in the best possible position to succeed. God forbid he starts having a little better attention to detail and better preparation. Hell we might win a couple of those marquee huge games. Might even be more competitive in a major bowl game.

How about he excuses himself from all QB related things because his involvement has resulted in the position regressing. That's not speculation. The performances already documented.

I just don't understand how you can celebrate that. It also doesn't mean we must have a title or death but it would be great to see him doing every little thing he can to have his team be as prepared as possible. Hell just clean up the juvenile stuff like all eleven offensive players being on the same cadence page.....
Having some wet weather practices.
Fixing problems as they arise mid game.
Being proactive with personnel during games instead of standing there pouting.
Saban...a guy who could stand there and look disgusted (he's earned that)and do nothing has no problem benching a QB who had an insane record for a green freshman because the offense was stale. It was only the biggest game of the season.
He had no problem on the fly doing a surprise onside kick against Clemson a few years back to win a title game. Risk vs reward. You want the reward you must take a risk.
Simple little routine things like that would go a long way toward being a more respected team.

A tougher team.

I was completely crystal. You are looking at things with the Brian Kelly signature series sunglasses on.

I clearly said of the big regular season games we were truly, really close in one. To spell it out for you a game of the huge nature where we played good enough to truly win. Not just being lucky but really deserving.
Georgia in 17 was a two point game but it certainly didn't feel like we were only down by two points.
Geirgia in 19 was a 6 point game. It sure didn't feel like it. Clemson in 15 didn't feel like a two point game.
What that means is it felt lucky to be in those situations at the end. Like we got lucky to even be that close. The FSU game I really felt we deserved that victory. Not so in the others.

Then I said when we have a major bowl game which means a great opponent and staff with 5 weeks to prepare we get ultra exposed. The wheels fall off.

Miami and Ann Arbor???
Robotic offense???
Timid and tentative???
Poor clock management???

I can give you another 50 reasons why the Brian Kelly ship should've sailed by now.

If that's what you're hanging your hat on that's pretty sad. That's like being the smartest person on the little bus. Being excited about a rust free car with a blown engine.

I refuse to buy into the poor us excuses of administration standards when the coach isn't doing simple and routine things. He's not putting the team in the best possible position to succeed. God forbid he starts having a little better attention to detail and better preparation. Hell we might win a couple of those marquee huge games. Might even be more competitive in a major bowl game.

How about he excuses himself from all QB related things because his involvement has resulted in the position regressing. That's not speculation. The performances already documented.

I just don't understand how you can celebrate that. It also doesn't mean we must have a title or death but it would be great to see him doing every little thing he can to have his team be as prepared as possible. Hell just clean up the juvenile stuff like all eleven offensive players being on the same cadence page.....
Saban...a guy who could stand there and look disgusted (he's earned that)and do nothing has no problem benching a QB who had an insane record for a green freshman because the offense was stale. It was only the biggest game of the season.
He had no problem on the fly doing a surprise onside kick against Clemson a few years back to win a title game. Risk vs reward. You want the reward you must take a risk.
Simple little routine things like that would go a long way toward being a more respected team.

A tougher team.
Same garbage on the daily. Yawn

I would love to see a genuinely open competition for the QB position next year.
It is Phil’s only opportunity to start at ND IMO.
This fall you have Pyne on campus and the following Buchner. Either one could displace Phil

I don’t have a dog in the 2020 QB starting role. I do prefer Book leave and Phil have his chance. Since it appears Book is coming back, I don’t see anyway Kelly changes horses. Kelly can’t sniff potential if it came in Braille and large print edition

Phil could part the seas in practice and spring game and Book will be under center

so a transfer could happen as early as May 2020.

I guess Book knows he has zero future after college or a very low likelihood for continued playing post ND. So he’s all in for 2020

thoughts?
Since he will be more of a runner next year then he was prior to the Michigan game, there is always a chance and I don't wish this upon him that Book could get hurt. So you need a backup that understands the system, and can run the offense. I just wish that Kelly would let PJ play more as a backup especially when your ahead two touchdowns with like 8 minutes left and we have the ball.

Miami and Ann Arbor???
Robotic offense???
Timid and tentative???
Poor clock management???

A tougher team.
First of all try Shortening your posts.

There is no way I am reading 5 paragraphs of repeated ruble.

I will help you. All you have to say is the following. Feel free to copy and paste for your future posts.

And I quote:

“ I cannot stand to be wrong. I never wanted Kelly at ND. I said from the beginning, he would suck! However, he has proved me wrong. I am not man enough to admit when I am wrong. So I have to continue to come up with ridiculous arguments to help prove my point.”

There you go 88ND, that’s all you have to say.

Reactions: Golson5
First of all try Shortening your posts.

There is no way I am reading 5 paragraphs of repeated ruble.

I will help you. All you have to say is the following. Feel free to copy and paste for your future posts.

And I quote:

“ I cannot stand to be wrong. I never wanted Kelly at ND. I said from the beginning, he would suck! However, he has proved me wrong. I am not man enough to admit when I am wrong. So I have to continue to come up with ridiculous arguments to help prove my point.”

There you go 88ND, that’s all you have to say.
I wanted nothing more than for BK to succeed so don't speak for me....
And ready for this??? It's 100 percent your prerogative to celebrate what you want. Juvenile coaching, beating the weak and losing to the good has become an automatic. You can celebrate that all day long.

Just know this...your opinion differs from mine and guess how much I care about that? Zero. It doesn't bother me one iota. It's pretty pathetic though if someone simply recites history to the BK apologists just how personal it bothers them.

You want to blast a poster and tell him just how good Brian Kelly is with the QB situation when nothing could be further from the truth.

Then when someone corrects your proclamation with a decade of already played games and decisions and performances cemented you want to shift gears and say yeah...well..you don't like BK anyway. You hate him. No matter what he could do you won't like him. Blah blah blah.

In other words you aren't really a serious poster and welcome debate....you are just jumping on to type gibberish. Everything I listed to you is 101 percent accurate. Games already played. Absurd decisions already made. No matter how much you might want to think none of that actually happened ...sadly it did. Don't be mad at me BK can't develop a QB. Don't be mad at me BK every 25 games has a game with empty ND jerseys on the field. I'm not the one using the extra practice time getting ready for a major bowl by going over the east west run play an additional 47 times. Venables a year later is still having nightmares over how to defend that masterful play.

If you don't want a differing opinion then what are you doing on a message board? Perhaps you don't want debate but just to say what you have to say then bail. Get in and get out. Either way in the future I know that you aren't really a serious poster therefore no reason to debate.

And ready for this??? It's 100 percent your prerogative to celebrate what you want. Juvenile coaching, beating the weak and losing to the good has become an automatic. You can celebrate that all day long.

Just know this...your opinion differs from mine and guess how much I care about that? Zero. It doesn't bother me one iota. It's pretty pathetic though if someone simply recites history to the BK apologists just how personal it bothers them.

You want to blast a poster and tell him just how good Brian Kelly is with the QB situation when nothing could be further from the truth.

Then when someone corrects your proclamation with a decade of already played games and decisions and performances cemented you want to shift gears and say yeah...well..you don't like BK anyway. You hate him. No matter what he could do you won't like him. Blah blah blah.

In other words you aren't really a serious poster and welcome debate....you are just jumping on to type gibberish. Everything I listed to you is 101 percent accurate. Games already played. Absurd decisions already made. No matter how much you might want to think none of that actually happened ...sadly it did. Don't be mad at me BK can't develop a QB. Don't be mad at me BK every 25 games has a game with empty ND jerseys on the field. I'm not the one using the extra practice time getting ready for a major bowl by going over the east west run play an additional 47 times. Venables a year later is still having nightmares over how to defend that masterful play.

If you don't want a differing opinion then what are you doing on a message board? Perhaps you don't want debate but just to say what you have to say then bail. Get in and get out. Either way in the future I know that you aren't really a serious poster therefore no reason to debate.
Same thing over and over. Wash rinse repeat.

Reactions: Zorich 88

So your biggest issue with Kelly is lack of QB development. Do you really need 5 paragraphs to defend that?

Are you seriously saying Jack should fire Kelly?

Are you seriously saying you want to see a new coach on the sideline next year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT