ADVERTISEMENT

Window about to shut for Phil J

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I would love to see a genuinely open competition for the QB position next year.
It is Phil’s only opportunity to start at ND IMO.
This fall you have Pyne on campus and the following Buchner. Either one could displace Phil

I don’t have a dog in the 2020 QB starting role. I do prefer Book leave and Phil have his chance. Since it appears Book is coming back, I don’t see anyway Kelly changes horses. Kelly can’t sniff potential if it came in Braille and large print edition

Phil could part the seas in practice and spring game and Book will be under center

so a transfer could happen as early as May 2020.

I guess Book knows he has zero future after college or a very low likelihood for continued playing post ND. So he’s all in for 2020

thoughts?

Reactions: 88ND
This fall you have Pyne on campus and the following Buchner. Either one could displace Phil

I don’t have a dog in the 2020 QB starting role. I do prefer Book leave and Phil have his chance. Since it appears Book is coming back, I don’t see anyway Kelly changes horses. Kelly can’t sniff potential if it came in Braille and large print edition

Phil could part the seas in practice and spring game and Book will be under center

I guess Book knows he has zero future after college or a very low likelihood for continued playing post ND. So he’s all in for 2020

thoughts?
If Malik didn’t go down you probably never heard of Kizer

Reactions: 88ND

thoughts?
So his best chance to start is beating out an experienced 5th year senior.

But the next year is not as good a chance when he is a senior competing with a sophomore and freshman.

Sounds like weird logic.

I hope the best player plays. I dont care who it is. As of now, Book is better. We'll see what happens in spring and fall to see if Phil improved

But the next year is not as good a chance when he is a senior competing with a sophomore and freshman.

Sounds like weird logic.

I hope the best player plays. I dont care who it is. As of now, Book is better. We'll see what happens in spring and fall to see if Phil improved

yeah it sounds like weird logic but do you see the situation any different?
You have to admit there is low confidence in Kelly picking the best QB “wins”

as the previous poster said, we might never have heard much of Kizer if Zaire stays healthy

thoughts?
Normally, I would agree with this. But Kelly seems more reluctant than most to trust a freshman to run the offense. In other words, I think Phil with three years learning the offense will have a major advantage after Book is finished. That said, I am still hopeful for Phil to be given a chance to take the starting job away from Book, as that would mean he has mastered the offense and created a significant undeniable upside alternative to Book, which is doubtful.

Reactions: NotreDomer1

as the previous poster said, we might never have heard much of Kizer if Zaire stays healthy
I think is Book is better than him right now. He can stay here or sit out a year somewhere else. Either way, he'll have to compete the year after wherever he goes.

2021 could be an epic QB competition
Phil
Clark
Pyne
Buchner

If Buchner is ready im leaning towards him

Doubt it. The backup always gets to play on BK's teams. This is the first year of ten that we didn't need the backup for meaningful minutes.

If he’s likely to lose to Pyne or Buchner anyway, why replace a fifth year senior captain who will wind up one of the 2 most prolific passers in the history of the school for just one year?

If Buchner is ready im leaning towards him

The likelihood of Kelly entrusting his precious offense to a true freshman is slotted at 0%

If Phil J transfers we will be treated to Andrew Hendrix Part 2 throwing line drives at receivers feet or....

Ian Book Part 2 needing a step ladder to see over the line of scrimmage and the hope that the NCAA passes a rule making mini NERF balls the new standard regulation football before he can throw a ball over 20 yards downfield in an actual live game without it invariably being intercepted or broken up.

We will just have to hope that Phil J does not transfer. Although he looks to be nothing more than a tall version of Wimbush, it would still be better than the other two alternatives.

If Kelly were a coach with any foresight, vision, or courage he would just go with Buchner and take the early mistakes for the big payday down the line but clearly that is just not how he rolls.

So two years of Phil J (at which point he will likely be yet another broken soul at the QB position) before Buchner takes over the reigns. And God only knows how Kelly is going to mess his talent level up but it is a foregone conclusion that it will occur given the past 10 years of observable data we have on how he (mis)handles the QB position.

To conclude any other outcome would be to ignore all sense of logic and rationality.

The likelihood of Kelly entrusting his precious offense to a true freshman is slotted at 0%

If Phil J transfers we will be treated to Andrew Hendrix Part 2 throwing line drives at receivers feet or....

Ian Book Part 2 needing a step ladder to see over the line of scrimmage and the hope that the NCAA passes a rule making mini NERF balls the new standard regulation football before he can throw a ball over 20 yards downfield in an actual live game without it invariably being intercepted or broken up.

We will just have to hope that Phil J does not transfer. Although he looks to be nothing more than a tall version of Wimbush, it would still be better than the other two alternatives.

If Kelly were a coach with any foresight, vision, or courage he would just go with Buchner and take the early mistakes for the big payday down the line but clearly that is just not how he rolls.

So two years of Phil J (at which point he will likely be yet another broken soul at the QB position) before Buchner takes over the reigns. And God only knows how Kelly is going to mess his talent level up but it is a foregone conclusion that it will occur given the past 10 years of observable data we have on how he (mis)handles the QB position.

To conclude any other outcome would be to ignore all sense of logic and rationality.
Nonstop garbage.

Rees started as a true frosh

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
Man I feel bad for Phil. If he transfers he has to sit out the year. If he stays he has to ride the bench another year, unless Book gets hurt. I personally would stay and at least get my degree and then weigh my options about 2021.

Man I feel bad for Phil. If he transfers he has to sit out the year. If he stays he has to ride the bench another year, unless Book gets hurt. I personally would stay and at least get my degree and then weigh my options about 2021.
Hes only going to be a junior. Dont think he will have his degree. He still has 3 years of eligibility

thoughts?
Too much winning?

That decision won’t most likely be made until summer ball.

really? there is no QB competition nor controversy: Book is the starter.
PJ may run the same offense but he runs it differently; he play less controlled.

The question becomes what of PJ. Does he scratch the itch to play, or does he try to graduate early and become a grad transfer. Barring injury his probability of being the ND QB is slim to none. But his roadblock after Book is Buchner not Pyne.

Nonstop garbage.

Rees started as a true frosh

Out of necessity due to injuries, not by conscience choice.

Crist was chosen starter for that season.

Please stop being disingenuous and concede the point.

You're too good of a poster to conduct yourself in such a silly manner.

really? there is no QB competition nor controversy: Book is the starter.
PJ may run the same offense but he runs it differently; he play less controlled.

The question becomes what of PJ. Does he scratch the itch to play, or does he try to graduate early and become a grad transfer. Barring injury his probability of being the ND QB is slim to none. But his roadblock after Book is Buchner not Pyne.

if Pyne overtakes PJ or if he feels it’s inevitable, he’ll most likely transfer. PJ knows Book is the starter next year barring injury.

Out of necessity due to injuries, not by conscience choice.

Crist was chosen starter for that season.

Please stop being disingenuous and concede the point.

You're too good of a poster to conduct yourself in such a silly manner.
Not conceding the point.

If Buchner is healthy and enrolls early, I believe he will be the starter right out of the gate or after a few games.

thoughts?

I don’t know, I think Book has a bright future after ND. He’ll have earned a coveted degree, played three years as the starting QB for a high profile program, been a Captain of the team.

I’m sure all those things along with his likeable personality, drive/determination and intelligence will allow him to be plenty successful. But I’m just guessing..

Reactions: NotreDomer1

Sounds like weird logic.

I'd take that bet all day long.
10 years under BK the backup QB has ALWAYS been better.
Every single one.

Odds are Phil is better. See the other QB's either got hurt (zaire/kizer) and BK was forced to play the backup or they did so piss poor and causing self inflicted damage to the team making games adventurous against bad teams. (Golson, Wimbush)

Book is the safe selection. He won't implode costing games against bad teams like Wimbush and Golson..
But he also is still Book. Terrified of pressure, never making the high risk high reward throw.
Playing safe will beat most weak teams on our schedule but we'll never beat an elite playing afraid to fail. Never!!!

Do you see OSU or Clemson or LSU going into a shell with their passing game afraid of failing?

Nope.

I echo again...next year more the same. Beating the weak teams and losing against the good.

Sounds like same old decade, same old Brian Kelly.

thoughts?
What has Phil ever done at QB while at ND?

Don’t give me that he hasn’t been given a chance excuse.

He has a chance everyday in practice to show what he has.

This is a billion dollar business.

Kelly and any coach is going to play the best guy. Obviously Phil is not ready.

Kelly benched an undefeated QB who just won in the Big House. That decision turned out pretty good.

Reactions: DublinND

thoughts?

One of stupidest post I have ever seen on this board.

Book just led ND to an 11-2 season.

He had one bad game vs Mich where the whole team played bad and one so so game vs Ga on the road in a hostile environment w a chance to win.

He led wins over a pretty good Va tech team (drives the team the length
Field w some clutch plays to get ND a very good win at the end of the game)

Gets wins over Virginia, USC , Louisville , Navy , Boston College , Iowa State , - all bowl teams.

He is ND ‘s best QB since Jimmy Clausen. And you think his back Up Phil J who came in against Mich and showed 1. He can’t run nearly as good as Book can. And 2. He throws wobbly ducks - he was very fortunate to complete some of those duck throws in that game vs Mich - he did not throw a tight spiral and appeared to have a weaker arm than Book.

Phil J should b happy to have a ND football scholarship. Let him transfer if he wants to transfer. I can’t think of one ND past QB who transferred who went on to do well at their next place

Phil J would most likely end up the same as those others.

If he is smart he stays at ND and gets a great degree from one of the best colleges in America.

And as for next year - the QB coming in from Ct does not appear to be a great future college QB - watched his HS highlights - played in a very weak HS league in Ct - put up big HS numbers vs weak HS competition- seems to be very over rated and will probably be another underachieving college ND QB who had a lot of HS hype

Whoever is recruiting QB’s at Nd needs to to do a much better job of evaluating HS school QB talent and find a true QB who will be a difference maker on the college level for when Book leaves after the 2020 season.

Hopefully the kid coming in 2021 is the guy ?

I'd take that bet all day long.
10 years under BK the backup QB has ALWAYS been better.
Every single one.

Odds are Phil is better. See the other QB's either got hurt (zaire/kizer) and BK was forced to play the backup or they did so piss poor and causing self inflicted damage to the team making games adventurous against bad teams. (Golson, Wimbush)

Book is the safe selection. He won't implode costing games against bad teams like Wimbush and Golson..
But he also is still Book. Terrified of pressure, never making the high risk high reward throw.
Playing safe will beat most weak teams on our schedule but we'll never beat an elite playing afraid to fail. Never!!!

Do you see OSU or Clemson or LSU going into a shell with their passing game afraid of failing?

Nope.

I echo again...next year more the same. Beating the weak teams and losing against the good.

Sounds like same old decade, same old Brian Kelly.
More garbage and not true like usual

I don’t know, I think Book has a bright future after ND. He’ll have earned a coveted degree, played three years as the starting QB for a high profile program, been a Captain of the team.

I’m sure all those things along with his likeable personality, drive/determination and intelligence will allow him to be plenty successful. But I’m just guessing..
Totally agree. I was referring to his options to continue playing ball

One of stupidest post I have ever seen on this board.

Book just led ND to an 11-2 season.

He had one bad game vs Mich where the whole team played bad and one so so game vs Ga on the road in a hostile environment w a chance to win.

He led wins over a pretty good Va tech team (drives the team the length
Field w some clutch plays to get ND a very good win at the end of the game)

Gets wins over Virginia, USC , Louisville , Navy , Boston College , Iowa State , - all bowl teams.

He is ND ‘s best QB since Jimmy Clausen. And you think his back Up Phil J who came in against Mich and showed 1. He can’t run nearly as good as Book can. And 2. He throws wobbly ducks - he was very fortunate to complete some of those duck throws in that game vs Mich - he did not throw a tight spiral and appeared to have a weaker arm than Book.

Phil J should b happy to have a ND football scholarship. Let him transfer if he wants to transfer. I can’t think of one ND past QB who transferred who went on to do well at their next place

Phil J would most likely end up the same as those others.

If he is smart he stays at ND and gets a great degree from one of the best colleges in America.

And as for next year - the QB coming in from Ct does not appear to be a great future college QB - watched his HS highlights - played in a very weak HS league in Ct - put up big HS numbers vs weak HS competition- seems to be very over rated and will probably be another underachieving college ND QB who had a lot of HS hype

Whoever is recruiting QB’s at Nd needs to to do a much better job of evaluating HS school QB talent and find a true QB who will be a difference maker on the college level for when Book leaves after the 2020 season.

Hopefully the kid coming in 2021 is the guy ?

Wow. One of the stupidest posts. And just what is it about my post that made you reach into the part of your brain to disparage my post?

This is a post to stimulate discussion on a very likely development. Seems you did not comprehend my premise - 1 I don’t care all that much about Book or Phil

. 2- I feel Phil will not likely get a fair shot and be able to displace Book more because of Kelly than ability

3- Phil may not be better than Book anyway and there are youngsters coming in so his opportunity is limited

What about this bothers you to call it stupid?

Kelly benched an undefeated QB who just won in the Big House. That decision turned out pretty good.

Till Kizer connected with Fuller, the same could have been said about him!

Never said Phil has not been given a chance. Said he is likely not to. Ie Crist vs any backup. Took awhile. Wimbush vs Book. Took awhile. Zaire vs Kizer. Would have taken ??? But injury

deal with it. It’s a valid fact It’s not that Phil is better than Book. It’s that his opportunity is closing.

What makes you think there hasn’t been a “genuinely open competition”, and that as a result of that “genuinely open competition” Book emerged as the best QB for the position ?

I don’t have a dog in the 2020 QB starting role.

Of course you do !
You have an inherent bias !
Just look at your statement below.

I do prefer Book leave and Phil have his chance.

What makes you think that Phil didn’t have his chance and lost.

WHY would you want an inferior QB at the helm ?

Since it appears Book is coming back, I don’t see anyway Kelly changes horses. Kelly can’t sniff potential if it came in Braille and large print edition

Book is a better QB than Phil !

You can’t seem to grasp the reality that Phil can’t part the seas.
You can’t seem to grasp the reality that Book is a better QB.

thoughts?

98.6 % of NCAA Football players don’t make it to the NFL so why do you think that’s the basis of their motivation. ?

WHY wouldn’t Book be “all in for 2020” ?
That’s baked into the inherent nature of superior athletes.

Since you asked, some of my thoughts are that you know very little about athletes and football and that you’re not in Book’s corner and that you’re a huge fan of Phil’s !

By the way, you might want to look at Book’s stats and his W-L record.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishBlessings
More garbage and not true like usual
Is Book a better QB than Wimbush?
Who was backing up Wimbush for 17 starts? Book

Was Kizer better than Zaire? Who was Malik's backup? Kizer. He never sees the field if Malik doesn't break his leg.

Did Malik give us a better chance to win than Golson did against LSU in the bowl game? Yes!
He also certainly would've given us a better chance in that season's losses yet never sniffed the field. It wasn't until Golson had his 108th turnover that BK's light bulb went on.

Who was Golson's backup in 2012?
Tommy Rees. If Rees doesn't spell Golson at times that season we don't run the regular season with no losses.
He uses Rees to spark a flat offense at times during that season to navigate a path to the BCS game.

Once in that BCS game and the offense was finding it hard to get a first down let alone score...how many snaps did Rees take in that game? Zero! Yep....the guy who was called upon all season to jump start the offense got zero snaps in the biggest and most important game.

The playoff game against Clemson. The biggest game of the year and BK finds himself again struggling to even move the sticks...does he bring Wimbush in for a few series to see if he can spark something. He did have an extra dimension to his game being more mobile. There was no tomorrow if we lost the game. Wimbush got the call right just to see if he could get the ball moving a little bit...right?
WRONG. Wimbush didn't take a single snap. Perhaps BK thought it was a best of 3 tourney.

Lastly what's the common theme among all the QB's under Brian Kelly? They regress or remain stagnant. Every single one got worse or plateaued.
Not even one of them progressed. Not once in a decade. The most important position on the team bar none shows no improvement over time.

Brian Kelly has no damn idea WTH he's doing with the QB position. He thinks he does and that makes it twice ignorant.

It's pathetic.

Till Kizer connected with Fuller, the same could have been said about him!
LOL...yeah...

Oh and that amazing season he had being thrown to the wolves and leading the team to a Fiesta game against Ohio State....

Yeah that still wasn't evough for good old Brian Kelly. Nope. He had to play musical QB's during the next season's opener against Texas costing us the damn game.

BK and the QB position is oil and water.

Is Book a better QB than Wimbush?
Who was backing up Wimbush for 17 starts? Book

Was Kizer better than Zaire? Who was Malik's backup? Kizer. He never sees the field if Malik doesn't break his leg.

Did Malik give us a better chance to win than Golson did against LSU in the bowl game? Yes!
He also certainly would've given us a better chance in that season's losses yet never sniffed the field. It wasn't until Golson had his 108th turnover that BK's light bulb went on.

Who was Golson's backup in 2012?
Tommy Rees. If Rees doesn't spell Golson at times that season we don't run the regular season with no losses.
He uses Rees to spark a flat offense at times during that season to navigate a path to the BCS game.

Once in that BCS game and the offense was finding it hard to get a first down let alone score...how many snaps did Rees take in that game? Zero! Yep....the guy who was called upon all season to jump start the offense got zero snaps in the biggest and most important game.

The playoff game against Clemson. The biggest game of the year and BK finds himself again struggling to even move the sticks...does he bring Wimbush in for a few series to see if he can spark something. He did have an extra dimension to his game being more mobile. There was no tomorrow if we lost the game. Wimbush got the call right just to see if he could get the ball moving a little bit...right?
WRONG. Wimbush didn't take a single snap. Perhaps BK thought it was a best of 3 tourney.

Lastly what's the common theme among all the QB's under Brian Kelly? They regress or remain stagnant. Every single one got worse or plateaued.
Not even one of them progressed. Not once in a decade. The most important position on the team bar none shows no improvement over time.

Brian Kelly has no damn idea WTH he's doing with the QB position. He thinks he does and that makes it twice ignorant.

It's pathetic.
Same old garbage and nonsense

What does any QB do that isn't given a real opportunity at ND? Hard to perform from the sideline. Just ask Book, Zaire, Kizer

Don’t give me that he hasn’t been given a chance excuse. See above.

He has a chance everyday in practice to show what he has. The same chance as Zaire, Kizer and Book

It certainly is and makes this even more juvenile that in a decade the QB position under Brian Kelly never progresses.

Good coaches certainly will play the best guy. There is NO WAY IN HELL you can say this about Brian Kelly. NO WAY. No speculation here. BK removed all doubt by his decade performance with the QB position

Stop the nonsense already. Kelly has NEVER won in the Big House. Not ever once.
Wimbush beat Michigan at home. He got lucky.

BTW, it only took 17 starts for Brian Kelly to realize Wimbush isn't an accurate passer whatsoever.

What's even worse is it took 17 starts to finally see this.
AlSO......!!!!!.......¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Book starting for an injured Wimbush at Carolina that you could clearly see the excitement from our receivers knowing they'll get a catchable ball finally.

Then Book bailing out an offense stuck in mud against LSU not only moving that ball but actually scoring and winning the game.
You'd think that would be enough along with watching Wimbush make every game fairly adventurous but NNNNNOOOO...

He has to start Wimbush three more times before finally seeing the light.

You can defend BK in a lot of different ways but there is no way anyone can defend his piss poor handling of the QB position over a decade. Regression, playing the wrong guy, are huge issues.

BK is lousy with the QB.

What does any QB do that isn't given a real opportunity at ND? Hard to perform from the sideline. Just ask Book, Zaire, Kizer

He has a chance everyday in practice to show what he has. The same chance as Zaire, Kizer and Book

It certainly is and makes this even more juvenile that in a decade the QB position under Brian Kelly never progresses.

Good coaches certainly will play the best guy. There is NO WAY IN HELL you can say this about Brian Kelly. NO WAY. No speculation here. BK removed all doubt by his decade performance with the QB position

BTW, it only took 17 starts for Brian Kelly to realize Wimbush isn't an accurate passer whatsoever.

Book starting for an injured Wimbush at Carolina that you could clearly see the excitement from our receivers knowing they'll get a catchable ball finally.

Then Book bailing out an offense stuck in mud against LSU not only moving that ball but actually scoring and winning the game.
You'd think that would be enough along with watching Wimbush make every game fairly adventurous but NNNNNOOOO...

You can defend BK in a lot of different ways but there is no way anyone can defend his piss poor handling of the QB position over a decade. Regression, playing the wrong guy, are huge issues.

BK is lousy with the QB.
This whole reply of yours makes zero sense.

If you do not believe Kelly is a good college coach then there is no reason to go back and forth with you.

If you do not believe Kelly took this program out of the trash heap and has built a strong program, you simply cannot admit when you are wrong.

What makes you think there hasn’t been a “genuinely open competition”, and that as a result of that “genuinely open competition” Book emerged as the best QB for the position ?
Duh. Why can’t people comprehend?
Nothing you post is what I said. Yes, there is in theory an open competition. How open? Well the backup QB rarely gets to get snaps with first team players and Kelly thinks he is a QB guru. He’s not. Proven fact

Now I will say this and pay attention- many head coaches do not recognize talent and pick the best QB. Now read that again and process it.

that means as bad as Kelly is at QB development, he is not alone. Always remember that Devine kept Joe Montana on the bench for some guys like Rusty Lisch and Rick Slager. Did either of those two make a name for themselves?

I said I’d like to see a change and Book leave. That does not make me prejudice. It’s my opinion. It has nothing to do with who is better. I think a change is called for. Book does not get us to the next level. He did not improve his second year. He can’t read defenses well.

maybe a new guy like Pyne of Phil or Clark can do better. Likely not. Book is better than most of what we’ve had. So you don’t need to attack my post. You need to respond intelligently.
Make a resolution to try doing that

Of course you do !
You have an inherent bias !
Just look at your statement below.

What makes you think that Phil didn’t have his chance and lost.

WHY would you want an inferior QB at the helm ?

Book is a better QB than Phil !

You can’t seem to grasp the reality that Phil can’t part the seas.
You can’t seem to grasp the reality that Book is a better QB.

98.6 % of NCAA Football players don’t make it to the NFL so why do you think that’s the basis of their motivation. ?

WHY wouldn’t Book be “all in for 2020” ?
That’s baked into the inherent nature of superior athletes.

Since you asked, some of my thoughts are that you know very little about athletes and football and that you’re not in Book’s corner and a that you’re a huge fan of Phil’s !

By the way, you might want to look at Book’s stats and his W-L record.

BK is lousy with the QB.
Yawn. Same old garbage. Wash rinse repeat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT