ADVERTISEMENT

When Rankings Don't Make Sense

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Obviously star ratings have proven to be a good predictor of talent, which is why it isn't simply irony that the national champions are usually comprised of 4 and 5 star kids, but every once-in-a-while you watch tape of a kid and simply say "wow". In the case of 2 star athlete Jason Pinnock, who is committed to BC, but will take a visit to Notre Dame and is being recruited by Elko personally, there is nothing "2 star" about him. Yes I understand that his competition in Connecticut isn't very good, but watch all 9 minutes of this tape and tell me this 6'1, 195lb, put together kid, with some of the best high pointing skills in the class, a 39 inch vertical jump and what looks like 4.5-4.55 speed, isn't a football player that you would want roaming around at free safety for ND.

Don't care what this kid is ranked. Sign him up. Special teamer all the way and likely a damn good DB down the road.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6415798/jason-pinnock

Watch his full senior season highlights and tell me what you think. Damn good football player and not lacking any measurables that you would look for.

Obviously star ratings have proven to be a good predictor of talent, which is why it isn't simply irony that the national champions are usually comprised of 4 and 5 star kids, but every once-in-a-while you watch tape of a kid and simply say "wow". In the case of 2 star athlete Jason Pinnock, who is committed to BC, but will take a visit to Notre Dame and is being recruited by Elko personally, there is nothing "2 star" about him. Yes I understand that his competition in Connecticut isn't very good, but watch all 9 minutes of this tape and tell me this 6'1, 195lb, put together kid, with some of the best high pointing skills in the class, a 39 inch vertical jump and what looks like 4.5-4.55 speed, isn't a football player that you would want roaming around at free safety for ND.

Don't care what this kid is ranked. Sign him up. Special teamer all the way and likely a damn good DB down the road.

Watch his full senior season highlights and tell me what you think. Damn good football player and not lacking any measurables that you would look for.
Stars don't mean much, if their talents that made the highly regarded in HS are not enhanced at the next level, but I agree the Matt Shelton's are out there

Great film! This kid is a playmaker. Good size, good speed. I would take him in a NY minute.

Great film! This kid is a playmaker. Good size, good speed. I would take him in a NY minute.

His willingness and ability to attack the ball at its highest point is a rare and desired quality. I also really like the excelleration he shows for a big kid on those double moves at WR. That's really good burst, something that is extremely important amongst top tier free safeties. You have to be able to get off the hash to get over top.

I'm a much bigger believer in looking at a kids offer sheet. The vast majority of the time ranking and offers go hand in hand but there are kids that are not ranked to high that have really good offers.

I look at offers as getting a second or third opinion from experts. 1 expert could certainly be wrong but if you get 10 of them and 8 agree, your odds are fairly good that's the way to go.

I'm a much bigger believer in looking at a kids offer sheet. The vast majority of the time ranking and offers go hand in hand but there are kids that are not ranked to high that have really good offers.

I look at offers as getting a second or third opinion from experts. 1 expert could certainly be wrong but if you get 10 of them and 8 agree, your odds are fairly good that's the way to go.

It will be interesting to see how our known predators react to our interest.

It will be interesting to see how our known predators react to our interest.

Seeing other major teams go after an "under-the-radar" kid you've identified is always a good thing.

Just like:
Miami/Texas pursuing former ND commit Jordan Pouncey
Texas/TCU
pursuing ND commit Saiid Abedo
ND/Michigan
pursuing former BC commit Kwity Paye
FSU/Oklahoma
pursuing former ND target J'Karey Daley
etc.
etc.
etc.

It's confirmation that other quality staffs are seeing what you're seeing

Seeing other major teams go after an "under-the-radar" kid you've identified is always a good thing.

Just like:
Miami/Texas pursuing former ND commit Jordan Pouncey
Texas/TCU
pursuing ND commit Saiid Abedo
ND/Michigan
pursuing former BC commit Kwity Paye
FSU/Oklahoma
pursuing former ND target J'Karey Daley
etc.
etc.
etc.

It's confirmation that other quality staffs are seeing what you're seeing

Bingo.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
Another offer went out today that I really like...

3 star SDE Myron Tagovaiola-Amosa (Kapolei, HI)

Likely Polian's doing, Amosa has Oregon and USC offers, among other PAC offers.

At 6'4, 270lbs he played SDE in high school and recorded 18 sacks and 16 TFL as a senior. What I love about this kid is that you know, like most Polynesians, there is no chance he is going to stay that size. Looking at pictures of him, his strength looks entirely natural and I don't think he's spent much time in the weight room to this point. Regardless, I see this kid redshirting as a freshman and showing up in somebody's depth chart as a sophomore or junior as a 6'4, 300lb DT, with borderline SDE feet and mobility... Yes please! I'love take a more advanced version of Kona Schwenke in a heartbeat. The kid has legit size, and I have little doubt that he'likes be plenty tough. Give me this kid on top of Ewell, Hinish, and flip Cage and I'm pumped about the haul on the interior.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2937327/myron-tagovailoa-amosa

At 6'4, 270lbs he played SDE in high school and recorded 18 sacks and 16 TFL as a senior. What I love about this kid is that you know, like most Polynesians, there is no chance he is going to stay that size. Looking at pictures of him, his strength looks entirely natural and I don't think he's spent much time in the weight room to this point. Regardless, I see this kid redshirting as a freshman and showing up in somebody's depth chart as a sophomore or junior as a 6'4, 300lb DT, with borderline SDE feet and mobility... Yes please! I'love take a more advanced version of Kona Schwenke in a heartbeat. The kid has legit size, and I have little doubt that he'likes be plenty tough. Give me this kid on top of Ewell, Hinish, and flip Cage and I'm pumped about the haul on the interior.

Has Vandy and GA Tech on his list, so probably not any academic risk with this kid.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Love it, but unfortunately getting kids from Hawaii and Polynesians to stay at ND is like Haley's Comet. Arnold Ale (from CA) did not last, Teo was a huge get and win, and Jason Ching came over, but unfortunately had all kinds of health issues. Have their been others?

Thank you! Boy I wish they had not burned the redshirt on Kona when Tuitt sat for skipping class, would have loved to have him for another year.

Reactions: Classic Irish

Actually seems like a very solid DT prospect. Developmental, but has good potential

We need to be getting LOTS of prospects like this on defense, especially in the Front-7....to balance out our inability to admit most 5* DLs from the south

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Actually seems like a very solid DT prospect. Developmental, but has good potential

We need to be getting LOTS of prospects like this on defense, especially in the Front-7....to balance out our inability to admit most 5* DLs from the south
It will be interesting to see if Chip Long's 'bama roots can win some battles...

A key distinction is necessary here.

Under the radar to the fans/forums usually means that a young man didn't attend camps/competitions or a well-known high school and therefore isn't a 4 or 5 recruit by any of the recruiting NEWS services.

If Miami, ND, Texas, TCU, etc are recruiting a young man, they aren't "under the radar."

Reactions: TXNDFan88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT