ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman Cal Presser

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Wow not good

Lack of execution execution execution execution and our players are inexperienced inexperienced inexperienced

ABSOLUTE BS, QB and WR only young positions on the entire roster.

If freeman really believes main issue is execution he's missing the big issue. Both oline and dline got pushed around. This team isn't physical and doesn't play hard

He also talked about the offense package pretty much being the same for pyne as it was for buchner .... WHAT?

He also said Pyne's greatest strength is his decision making...... WHAT?

No one asked about Tobias and why he isn't playing. I feel like he may be in the dog house of some sort?

He said all 3 rbs have their own packages....... WHAT?
Estime runs with power just needs the oline to do a little bit, and tyree is a burner....... Diggs needs to be benched, he's just not good

He said OL made improvements vs Marshall..... WHAT?

Sounds like they think they have the right starters first 2 games and won't make any changes, only change most likely is pyne due to injury. How you continue to roll out lugg, zeke, Betrand, Lewis is beyond me

Type of press conference that makes you feel like the coach doesn't have a clue.

Reactions: NDCap
Wow not good

Lack of execution execution execution execution and our players are inexperienced inexperienced inexperienced

If freeman really believes main issue is execution he's missing the big issue. Both oline and dline got pushed around. This team isn't physical and doesn't play hard

He also talked about the offense package pretty much being the same for pyne as it was for buchner .... WHAT?

No one asked about Tobias and why he isn't playing. I feel like he may be in the dog house of some sort?

Estime runs with power just needs the oline to do a little bit, and tyree is a burner....... Diggs needs to be benched, he's just not good

Sounds like they think they have the right starters first 2 games and won't make any changes, only change most likely is pyne due to injury. How you continue to roll out lugg, zeke, Betrand, Lewis is beyond me

Type of press conference that makes you feel like the coach doesn't have a clue.
I doubt he likes you either

Last edited:
I agree with making changes on the OL. Move Patterson back to C.

If you just moved Patterson to C and Kristofic to LG, you'd have the lineup we used for the Fiesta Bowl, where they played pretty well against a very good defense.

Freeman is now 0-3, counting last seasons bowl game. This guy is a deer caught in the headlights and in my opinion is way in over his head based on his pressers.

No matter how much you may have disliked Kelly, hell I didn't like Kelly and was glad when he left, but he didn't exactly leave with bare cupboards here. Freeman took the reigns of a very solid program. No one expected ND to beat OSU, but they came away from that game looking solid and surely not losing to Marshell.

Time will tell, but I don't think this season is going to be pretty. ND is not the place to learn on the job... thats where we are right now....

Reactions: Airzee23
The only chance ND offense has is to change the system they're running with slow developing runs up the middle, long out passes, and occasionally take shots.

You need to be pulling zeke a ton, his only asset is he moves well. Rollouts, speed options, quick slant game, and a ton of passes over the middle.

This all shoudl have happened after OSU when they exposed Zeke/Lugg again, but Tommy is such a bad coach and developer of an offensive system.

He fakes. He thinks about faking. He pretends to fake.

Wow not good

What do you expect him to say? The players suck? c'mon you can't take anything g from these press conferences it's just vague bs, with some substantial info sprinkled in like injuries.

What do you expect him to say? The players suck? c'mon you can't take anything g from these press conferences it's just vague bs, with some substantial info sprinkled in like injuries.
That they’ve graded the film and are making some coaching strategy scheme changes to fit the players and giving some other players an opportunity. I can’t tell you what they are but we’ll see if they work Saturday.

if we roll out with same starting oline and same defensive starting front 7 we’re in trouble

Reactions: Airzee23
The only chance ND offense has is to change the system they're running with slow developing runs up the middle, long out passes, and occasionally take shots.

You need to be pulling zeke a ton, his only asset is he moves well. Rollouts, speed options, quick slant game, and a ton of passes over the middle.

This all shoudl have happened after OSU when they exposed Zeke/Lugg again, but Tommy is such a bad coach and developer of an offensive system.
I think we’ll see rollouts, slant passes, TE screen plays, and up tempo to relieve blocking pressure on the line. I can’t get excited one way or the other over pre game presser.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think we’ll see rollouts, slant passes, TE screen plays, and up tempo to relieve blocking pressure on the line. I can’t get excited one way or the other over pre game presser.
I watched every Buchner throw/sack today…. He absolutely never moved around the pocket or bought time on a designed pass. Yes oline is absolutely terrible up the middle especially but he would just stand ther. And either pass it under pressure or take sack. How can someone so athletic not use their legs to buy time?

Reactions: 4-4-3
I watched every Buchner throw/sack today…. He absolutely never moved around the pocket or bought time on a designed pass. Yes oline is absolutely terrible up the middle especially but he would just stand ther. And either pass it under pressure or take sack. How can someone so athletic not use their legs to buy time?
Frankly, I saw him as more of a liability than an asset. Those two identical picks -- INCLUDING THE ONE WHERE HE BASICALLY THREW AWAY THE GAME -- were revealing. Same error in succession? Not good.

I don't see him as FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND at the position. And your post partly points out why. He also makes poor throwing decisions and is only MARGINALLY accurate.

If I were his coach, I'd switch him to slot receiver. As was done with Avery Davis and more or less with Arnaz Battle. In the early 60's, ND moved a decent running QB, Frank Budka, to flanker. Tom Schoen was moved to safety where I believe he made AA. When his thumbs were injured, Hornung played fullback.

Buchner has talent and can play somewhere -- but NOT at QB.

And I actually like the team's chances better with Pyne, assuming they can devise an ORTHODOX OFFENSE for him to operate in.

Buchner was a potential IMPROV play every play, and I felt NO CONFIDENCE that he could complete 3rd and long's or throw accurately downfield. So, when I saw this PICK-THROWING TENDENCY in the flat, I'd HAD IT.

Come to think of it, didn't he throw a pick-6 against Cincinnati on the same type of play? If so, that would be brutal.

LEARNED NOTHING.

Frankly, I saw him as more of a liability than an asset. Those two identical picks -- INCLUDING THE ONE WHERE HE BASICALLY THREW AWAY THE GAME -- were revealing. Same error in succession? Not good.

I don't see him as FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND at the position. And your post partly points out why. He also makes poor throwing decisions and is only MARGINALLY accurate.

If I were his coach, I'd switch him to slot receiver. As was done with Avery Davis and more or less with Arnaz Battle. In the early 60's, ND moved a decent running QB, Frank Budka, to flanker. Tom Schoen was moved to safety where I believe he made AA. When his thumbs were injured, Hornung played fullback.

And I actually like the team's chances better with Pyne, assuming they can devise an ORTHODOX OFFENSE for him to operate in.

Buchner was a potential IMPROV play every play, and I felt NO CONFIDENCE that he could complete 3rd and long's or throw accurately downfield. So, when I saw this PICK-THROWING TENDENCY in the flat, I'd HAD IT.

Come to think of it, didn't he throw a pick-6 against Cincinnati on the same type of play? If so, that would be brutal.

LEARNED NOTHING.
Pyne was terrible in the spring and he has shown nothing.

in 2-3 weeks we'll be wishing Buchner was healthy. They should take a serious look at Angeli, the kid played against legit competition in HS

LEARNED NOTHING.
Buchner threw pick 6 same way at Virginia tech last year

yeah he’s thrown that pass in maybe 50 attempts at least 5 times into trouble, that’s bad, 3 picks 2 to the house.

pynes decision making has been just as bad. He typically doesn’t see defender right there.

rees is just running a terrible offensive scheme with no creativity, no screens, nothing unique

Reactions: Airzee23 and NDinNJ
Buchner threw pick 6 same way at Virginia tech last year

yeah he’s thrown that pass in maybe 50 attempts at least 5 times into trouble, that’s bad, 3 picks 2 to the house.

pynes decision making has been just as bad. He typically doesn’t see defender right there.

rees is just running a terrible offensive scheme with no creativity, no screens, nothing unique
Yeah, Pyne throws picks, too. But at least, he moves in the pocket and as Kelly used to say, "can extend the play." Believe me, I don't see him as any kind of ANSWER, but I do think he may give ND a better chance to win. I mean, what good is Buchner's talent if he can't execute FUNDAMENTAL PLAYS? There's been ZERO consistency.

Truth is, though, I'm much more IN with ND now. Buchner was irritating the HELL out of me. I had no sense of what might be coming play to play, and when it broke down for him, it went from SCHOOLYARD to GRAB-BAG. Like my son said, he's not back in HS anymore where he simply OUTRAN people.

LEARNED NOTHING.
VaTech

Because he’s played almost no football, and simply doesn’t have the instincts/pocket awareness yet.

Wow not good

He may be following the lead of the WH press secretary.

Reactions: Chitown11

LEARNED NOTHING.
or, nothing coached

Wow not good

Yeah, you're right. He's an idiot. ND should fire him today and hire you as the HC.

Yeah, you're right. He's an idiot. ND should fire him today and hire you as the HC.
He's making me confident. I sure as heck wouldn't be mr nice guy to these players and focus on execution. F execution and i'd get back to physically dominating inferior opponents. When you have the physicality down, the execution will be much easier.

I also wouldn't keep playing people that have to be failing when they get graded. Zeke, Lugg, Diggs, JD, Brown, Lewis, Henderson

He's making me confident. I sure as heck wouldn't be mr nice guy to these players and focus on execution. F execution and i'd get back to physically dominating inferior opponents. When you have the physicality down, the execution will be much easier.

I also wouldn't keep playing people that have to be failing when they get graded. Zeke, Lugg, Diggs, JD, Brown, Lewis, Henderson
Yeah, good for you. Send the resume in, I'm certain Jack will consider the move. Or maybe you don't have to, Jack is no doubt following your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Freeman is now 0-3, counting last seasons bowl game. This guy is a deer caught in the headlights and in my opinion is way in over his head based on his pressers.

No matter how much you may have disliked Kelly, hell I didn't like Kelly and was glad when he left, but he didn't exactly leave with bare cupboards here. Freeman took the reigns of a very solid program. No one expected ND to beat OSU, but they came away from that game looking solid and surely not losing to Marshell.

Time will tell, but I don't think this season is going to be pretty. ND is not the place to learn on the job... thats where we are right now....
Kelly left the cupboards bare at WR and QB … low numbers and limited talent; Kelly knew the offense was headed for a struggle and would need to coach around serious deficiencies.

Ohio State was Georgia … played hard but offense was a no show

Marshall was Toledo … minus Toledo QB not running out of bounds and Coan not pulling a TD out in the last minute it’s an equally bad home loss, arguably worse

Marcus has a lot of work to do and a lot of learning to do but he looks overly panicked instead of in charge and angry

If you think about it the performance in the 2021 opening two weeks was equally bad. FSU is not Ohio State. So ND won. Toledo is not Marshall. ND won. ND had a QB who could direct a passing game and was a veteran presence as well. I felt as concerned about ND after those two weeks as I do now. But.... by winning they still had a chance to make the playoffs by winning out. Unlike now where its a NY6 game at best by winning out. The Purdue game was when I started to believe ND might be able to have a good year. But I never saw 11-1 last year. I figured 10-2. But the schedule was really bad in 2021. This years schedule has possibly 4 bonafide top 20 teams and one outlier. UNC, BYU, USC and Clemson. And Marshall will be an 8 plus win team and potentially a 10 plus win team. These opening season juggernaut games are very hit and miss. I don't like them. ND typically has a poor season when they play one and lose, which usually happens. Play three teams that you have more talent than to start the year. It's too easy to have a hangover and start the year off 0-2.

having a QB who spends 5 years ion a team, on the field is like a coach out there! That is missing in ‘22
the kinks are showing up

Press conferences after a disappointing loss are a no win situation.

If you just hem and haw about how the coaches need to do a better job, the fans complain. If you specify which players failed to execute, the fans complain that you are throwing kids under the bus. If you give the press rote answers, the fans complain you do not care. If you show emotion, the fans complain that you are too emotional.

Press conferences after a disappointing loss are a no win situation.

If you just hem and haw about how the coaches need to do a better job, the fans complain. If you specify which players failed to execute, the fans complain that you are throwing kids under the bus. If you give the press rote answers, the fans complain you do not care. If you show emotion, the fans complain that you are too emotional.
He's doing a great job.

"Yes oline is absolutely terrible up the middle especially but he would just stand ther. And either pass it under pressure or take sack. How can someone so athletic not use their legs to buy time?"

if you watched the OSU game -- you would have seen he had ZERO time to go anywhere -- rather than just throw it (at which point, intentional grounding comes into play as he was still with the tackle box), he took the sack to live for another play. You cannot buy something that is not available.

"Yes oline is absolutely terrible up the middle especially but he would just stand ther. And either pass it under pressure or take sack. How can someone so athletic not use their legs to buy time?"

if you watched the OSU game -- you would have seen he had ZERO time to go anywhere -- rather than just throw it (at which point, intentional grounding comes into play as he was still with the tackle box), he took the sack to live for another play. You cannot buy something that is not available.
My point is Rees doesn't want him to leave the pocket ever on called throws, he wants a play to be executed perfectly, and it takes 11 (or at least 8-9) people to execute Rees plays. On the flip side, watch every good offense with an athletic QB, they have the qb going everywhere and plan on them creating time to make throws. They make the D have to think and not sure what's going on. Most of us know what play ND is running (generally speaking) just by formation and or personnel. I frichan forgot screen existed because of Rees. I forgot about mis direction because of Rees. I forgot about crossing wrs over the middle because of rees.

I disagree though there wasn't room, yes if you stand 2 yards from the center and never move there won't be much room but that's coaching, he should have been sliding and moving around to find angles/windows when we knew by second series our Oline up the middle was done.

If you don't rollout and make throws the DEs and Oline will just slant and shoot gaps going for the tackle dummy. That's what marshalls coach said their game plan was vs our offense (he said it much nicer). If your QB is constantly moving around to make throws the defensive line has to defend and account for much more area and they can't just rush to one spot. Our 1920 basic read option play is successful because it's the only play rees runs that makes a defense have to think.

ADVERTISEMENT