ADVERTISEMENT

We’re losing in recruiting and the portal

I enjoy a spirited discussion/debate on the issues, so thank you for participating on topic and not just spamming the board and making the user experience worse off for those who use it/visit.

Anyway, ND is doing things the "right way" at the expense of the football players which is why the ones with options/rare talent aren't coming here anymore. It's funny how hypocritical ND is with "the right way"

when ND can leverage their name image and likeness into profit, it's the right way
when players/athletes do it, they are just bag chasers

GTFOH with that nonsense

At the end of the day, it comes down to a power struggle between the haves and have nots.

And ND is going to do everything in their power to keep the have nots where they think they belong. This culture oozes off the fans and the institution which is why players that have a ton of options and are highly in demand are not touching ND with a 10 foot pole.
You clearly lack reading comprehension. Notre Dame is in the NIL game, but they aren't going to pay "acquisition fees" (up front money) to get a recruit to come to ND. Won't happen and I'm glad they are sticking to their guns.

Paying millions to an 18 year old who hasn't even stepped foot on a college football field is high risk. The upfront money is going to eventually sort itself out and it won't take long. As soon as they realize the ROI isn't there for most of these recruits, the upfront money game will stop.

Nothing wrong with kids getting NIL opportunities after they sign their LOI, but to do it to entice them to sign is wrong, it's not how NIL was supposed to work.
I can't help that you are too dumb to understand that, but then again you are pretty dumb just by the fact that you believe in F+ rankings

Reactions: BGI User 756
I think this is a good class but we’re missing out on the top portal transfers too. The gap is actually increasing vs Georgia bama etc.

ND needs to figure out something to close the gap.

If we can’t get 5 star recruits or top transfers it’s going to be even tougher to win it all. The top teams will strengthen every weakness with the portal, nd will not. We needed a top de, stud wr, stud qb stud safety and DT. We got solid wr, probably land solid dlinemen , probably land ok qb maybe. Not good enough
We might as well give up on football. We will never be Bama or GA.

Thanks for the laughs. Some of you would wring your hands if we hand Peyton Manning. This years class has lots of difference makers in it. Like it is stated above. Giving NIL money to a 18 yearold doesn't make sense. I've seen way to many 5 star guys suck at the next level. Have a merry xmas.

The names look good but no one has shown top level potential. What do we have about 10-15 total career sacks returning.

As homers we have high hopes, but in reality it doesn’t look great.

It will be undersized again
I think the DL is a concern next year. Desperately need Justin to return. Fiske would have been a great add, but we whiffed on him. Does anyone here think we look at switching Rocco to defense if he doesn’t win a starting guard position this year? As I recall, he was a damn good DL in high school. His strength and size would be really useful in taking on big centers, if he has the twitch and skill, which were alluded to when he arrived on campus.

I think the DL is a concern next year. Desperately need Justin to return. Fiske would have been a great add, but we whiffed on him. Does anyone here think we look at switching Rocco to defense if he doesn’t win a starting guard position this year? As I recall, he was a damn good DL in high school. His strength and size would be really useful in taking on big centers, if he has the twitch and skill, which were alluded to when he arrived on campus.
Sure getting Fiske would have been a nice addition to the roster but few ever heard of him until 2 weeks ago … meanwhile Lacey transfers to OU. Fiske is not the difference between an 11-1 ND and a National Championship.

Sure getting Fiske would have been a nice addition to the roster but few ever heard of him until 2 weeks ago … meanwhile Lacey transfers to OU. Fiske is not the difference between an 11-1 ND and a National Championship.
No but Fiske is one of about 5-7 transfer portal players we need to help take us over hump…. We landed probably the worst wr out of the 3 we were seriously considering. So we’re not doing well in the portal.

No but Fiske is one of about 5-7 transfer portal players we need to help take us over hump…. We landed probably the worst wr out of the 3 we were seriously considering. So we’re not doing well in the portal.
Chansi wanted Kaleb Smith

Sure, and if hartman doesn't come to ND Rees is going to want option 5 too
Who were the better options we were in on. We really didn't have any chance with any others

I dont see losing Hartman asmuch of a negative

Who were the better options we were in on. We really didn't have any chance with any others

I dont see losing Hartman asmuch of a negative
You and I differ here but that's the point of these debates. We won't ever know unless he were to play for ND

Card, Leary, Pratt to me are all better than buchner. I know ND contacted all 3, I don't know to what exact level though.

You and I differ here but that's the point of these debates. We won't ever know unless he were to play for ND

Card, Leary, Pratt to me are all better than buchner. I know ND contacted all 3, I don't know to what exact level though.
Until the receiver was slammed down on the other end!

The misses on the defensive side of the ball are really disappointing. This could be a playoff team with DL improvement. Hartman will be better at ND than he was at Wake and that's a really scary thought for opposing defenses. Still time to fire Al Wash.

Different ways to build a team...

1...recruit talented freshmen and develop
2...also recruit from the portal to fill needs

(the mix of the two is dependent on program philosophy and access to elite high school athletes)

Examples:

FSU is ranked #1 in 2023 transfers...(they took 7}..but are #19 in regular class rankings.

Ohio State took no portal transfers but are #5 in Class Rankings

The misses on the defensive side of the ball are really disappointing. This could be a playoff team with DL improvement. Hartman will be better at ND than he was at Wake and that's a really scary thought for opposing defenses. Still time to fire Al Wash.
I’d agree with you except our LB play was even worse and that’s supposed to be freeman and golden expertise…. Two highest paid people on staff and their position struggled the most

Agreed…not the difference maker between an 11-1 ND and a National Championship, but maybe the difference maker between a 10-2 and 11-1 ND. The guy is 6-5 and 300 plus pounds with an impressive on field resume and rated the number 1 defensive lineman in the portal. He would have been a really good addition to a DL lacking size in the middle and overall depth.

Different ways to build a team...

1...recruit talented freshmen and develop
2...also recruit from the portal to fill needs

(the mix of the two is dependent on program philosophy and access to elite high school athletes)

Examples:

FSU is ranked #1 in 2023 transfers...(they took 7}..but are #19 in regular class rankings.

Ohio State took no portal transfers but are #5 in Class Rankings
You don’t mention Georgia and Alabama recruiting top classes and getting top portal players. They’re beating nd at both

i still expect hartman to get nil'd away. nd seems to be good leverage for everyone from P Bowen to Fiske to QB's. we are everyones negotiation piece. pay me or i will just go to nd. the good ones get paid. the rest pick nd.

You don’t mention Georgia and Alabama recruiting top classes and getting top portal players. They’re beating nd at both

Alabama has zero 2023 portal in-transfers...

Georgia has 2...(ranked #22 in transfers)...

A little bit he does
If Rees can call a good game, Hartman is good enough to get us to the title game. Win it? That takes a full team effort without glaring holes like DE. Team needs a lot of development for that. New DL coach is a good place to start. Hartman can negate a lot of Rees’s poor play calling with audibles.

Styles needs a breakout year. Merriweather need to emerge as the best receiver on the team. Tyree comes back and goes to slot. Kaleb Smith a reliant veteran that catches everything his way. Greathouse game ready. With our OL and running backs it’s going to make it very easy for Hartman to be at his best.

I think this is a good class but we’re missing out on the top portal transfers too. The gap is actually increasing vs Georgia bama etc.

If we can’t get 5 star recruits or top transfers it’s going to be even tougher to win it all. The top teams will strengthen every weakness with the portal, nd will not. We needed a top de, stud wr, stud qb stud safety and DT. We got solid wr, probably land solid dlinemen , probably land ok qb maybe. Not good enough
You're a big fan of Hartman so are we not losing anymore?

You're a big fan of Hartman so are we not losing anymore?
IF we land Hartman my expectations for next year go up

We haven’t landed him yet, I know we supposedly lead

I like Pratt better than Hartman and Leary if 100%

Others are losing far more than ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT