ADVERTISEMENT

VanGorder defenses not living up to Notre Dame's investment

G_a_r_y

ND Expert
Jul 8, 2010
Sept. 21-- SOUTH BEND, Ind.-The numbers don't lie, even if Brian Kelly doesn't want to face the truth publicly, ugly as it is.

Let's start with the number four. That's how many games, out of its last five, Notre Dame has lost.

The cumulative score of those five games: 178-178.

The Irish's lone victory during that stretch, against Nevada, was sandwiched between defeats to Stanford, Ohio State, Texas and Michigan State.

No wonder Kelly answered thusly-and wryly-when asked how's he has dealt with defensive deficiencies in the past.

"Scored more points," he said.

Here's another number: $1.1 million. That was the sum of Irish defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder's paychecks. Two years ago.

Who knows what the next tax documents released by the school will reveal. Either way, VanGorder is one the highest paid assistant coaches in the country.

His defense doesn't exactly reflect the investment the program has made in VanGorder, who spent some time in the NFL and has a history with Kelly dating to their days together at Grand Valley State.

Cameras caught Kelly in a heated exchange with VanGorder on Saturday during a 36-28 loss to Michigan State. And Kelly seemed on the verge of expressing his frustration afterward.

"Colleagues," Kelly said when asked to describe their relationship. "Colleagues in it together to get the most out of our players."

He doubled down over the next few days and endorsed VanGorder publically. Blamed missed tackles and poor fundamentals and youth and, well, everything but VanGorder.

I'm guessing, though, Kelly has shared his dissatisfaction with him privately. Fair enough.

"Yeah, without question," Kelly said of whether VanGorder is the right man for the job. "That's not even part of the conversation. It's really about the fundamentals of defense. This is not rocket science. ... There's not a question about scheme. There's not a question about who's leading it with Brian."

The question is, how long will he continue to lead it?

Kelly said Tuesday that VanGorder "is coaching his butt off."

VanGorder's defense, oft-criticized for being too complicated to learn in the limited time college players have to learn it, better get off its behind, though.

It's not like there hasn't been or isn't talent. Last year the unit had two All-Americans-Jaylon Smith and Sheldon Day-and KeiVarae Russell. All were NFL draft picks.

Then there was a social-media snafu that was just as embarrassing as his defense, the one in which Kelly's Twitter account "liked" a tweet suggesting it was time to fire VanGorder. Kelly said he has several people running the account and called it an "unfortunate mistake."

But back to the numbers. Or, in the case of sacks, the absence of them.

The Irish (1-2) are one of two FBS teams-the other is Nevada-with nary a sack to its name. Out of 128 teams.

Kelly downplayed the importance of that stat a few days ago but conceded Tuesday that Notre Dame must be better at that too.

Truth is, the Irish need to be better at a lot of things. After last weekend's games they ranked 103rd in pass-efficiency defense, 99th in rushing defense, 102nd in total defense, T-94th in scoring defense, T-101st in tackles for loss and T-89th in turnovers gained.

Their red-zone defense has left them red-faced. The Irish's previous five games against Power 5 teams have resulted in 23 trips there. And 19 touchdowns. And four field goals.

Big plays have left them embarrassed.
This year is no anomaly. In VanGorder's first two seasons, the Irish finished 31st (2014) and 71st (2015) in total defense.

"If you don't do well, you're gonna hear those different things that come out. But within our room we know the truth, (what) we gotta do," VanGorder said before the Fiesta Bowl last season. "Our stuff is likable and learnable. It's fun to play in our system."

Kelly brushed off worry earlier this season, said to talk to him if Notre Dame's defense isn't up to snuff after seven or eight games.

Tick is meeting tock, and quickly.

Facts are undefeated against opinions.

And if the facts don't change, we could find out soon whether Kelly's opinion does.

http://wowway.net/news/read/categor..._defenses_not_living_up_to_notre_dames_in-tca

One interesting passage from the article:

Here's another number: $1.1 million. That was the sum of Irish defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder's paychecks. Two years ago.

Who knows what the next tax documents released by the school will reveal. Either way, VanGorder is one the highest paid assistant coaches in the country.

I have seen may posts on this board saying that ND needs to pay more in order to get better assistant coaches.

One interesting passage from the article:

I have seen may posts on this board saying that ND needs to pay more in order to get better assistant coaches.

They don't need to spend more on money coaches - they just need to be a helluva lot better than how they spend what they do - first the $$ gaffe w/ CW - overpaying him all that $$ was downright like throwing good $$ out the window. Now the $1.1 m being paid to one of the worst D Coordinators in all of college football. Who's in charge at ND ? I guess the football program brings in so much $$ every year for the school - these blatant money missteps can be overlooked.

Reactions: Kelso86
IB, I didn't mean to imply that coaches were not being paid enough.

IB, I didn't mean to imply that coaches were not being paid enough.

got you - my bad - I'm a very frustrated ND fan like a lot of others - maybe someday ND will have a great coach again. I live near Stanford and I see them all the time and it makes me so pissed that they are now a good team and very well coached. It does give me great hope though that ND with the right coach can do the same and even better than Stanford IMO. I can't stand the Stanford fan base - they are very arrogant and fair weather. They have a hard time selling out their stadium for a lot of games.

There is an excellent article on the home page about ND's defensive deficiencies...

Cannot make a change or not support the coach during the early fall. Too many good recruits committed or looking to come to ND on that side of the ball. Making a change changes that numbers game for the bad. Like it or not BVG is our coach for this season, best case is that Kelly takes a more active role in defensive play calling and there are internal changes to the coaching makeup. At the end of the day he will probably leave at the end of the year "on his own".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT