Welcome Home

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I think this is the right decision….

Knute Rockne’s grave moved to Notre Dame​

By Tricia Sloma
Published: Apr. 29, 2024 at 5:15 AM EDT, Updated: 3 hours ago

NOTRE DAME, Ind. (WNDU) - Notre Dame Coach Knute Rockne’s grave has been moved.
The legendary football coach’s casket was exhumed from a South Bend cemetery and reburied at the University of Notre Dame. The graves of his wife, son and grandson were also moved.
The exhumation took place at the break of dawn Sunday at Highland Cemetery in South Bend. The reburial happened Sunday afternoon at Notre Dame with an interment service led by Fr. Paul Doyle, C.S.C.
In an exclusive interview with 16 News Now, Rockne’s granddaughter, Jeanne Anne Rockne said it’s been something they’ve been discussing for decades.
“When my father was alive, he just said ‘No!’ He was very adamant. But my brothers and I have agonized over this for quite a while, and we’ve had a lot of family discussions. And we just decided that we think this is the best thing to do,” said Jeanne Anne.
It was the Rockne family, specifically seven surviving grandchildren, who made the decision to move the graves to Notre Dame.
“Notre Dame has done so much to preserve grandpa’s heritage and his legacy and he’s still an integral part of the athletic program here at Notre Dame,” said Knute Rockne III, Rockne’s grandson.
The beloved Notre Dame coach was killed in a plane crash in 1931. Highland Cemetery on Portage Avenue was selected by his widow Bonnie Rockne. Over the years, fans were known to make pilgrimages to the Rockne grave. “I pick up cigarette or cigar butts, shot glasses and whiskey bottles,” said Jeanne Anne. There are jagged edges and burn marks where people have chipped away at the headstone and snuffed out their cigars. “People don’t respect things anymore,” said Jeanne Anne.
The Rockne family is thankful that the graves will be in the care of Notre Dame. “I’m glad he’s here,” said Nils Rockne, grandson of Knute Rockne. “I’m glad Notre Dame will look after the family. I feel comfortable knowing he’ll be cared for forever.”
Notre Dame released this statement:
“At the request of the Rockne family, the University of Notre Dame was honored to assist with the disinterment of the remains of football player, coach and athletic director Knute Rockne and several Rockne family members from Highland Cemetery in South Bend and their subsequent burial at Cedar Grove Cemetery on campus. The prayers of the Church were offered for the repose of their souls upon their reinternment. Rockne’s funeral mass was celebrated on April 4, 1931, at the University’s Sacred Heart Church, now the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.”
Copyright 2024 WNDU. All rights reserved.

What do you think Jim Thorpe would say about college players making a 1.5 million! After being banned for a few bucks on a summer gig.

Great read. Had not seen this. Wonderful news. Thanks Ski!

What do you think Jim Thorpe would say about college players making a 1.5 million! After being banned for a few bucks on a summer gig.
If he wasn't a total dumbass he'd empathize with players being totally broke while making the school tons of money and appreciate the progress

If the NCAA wanted to simply fully pay for my son or daughter's college education for 4-5 years with an athletic scholarship, and walk out of college debt free, where do we sign up?

College tuition is insane, and yet many colleges have millions and millions in endowment funds.

Has the purpose and goal of a college education been lost?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT