ADVERTISEMENT

Totally outcoached

Happens to Kelly all the time. We have better talent than everyone we play against. Bk always makes it interesting But we will win this one GUARANTEED

Happens to Kelly all the time. We have better talent than everyone we play against. Bk always makes it interesting But we will win this one GUARANTEED

ND has a better OL. But ND overall talent is not better than the individuals SC has.
Football is a team game.

Reactions: hvillebill
Not
ND has a better OL. But ND overall talent is not better than the individuals SC has.
Football is a team game.
not true, usc had a ton of freshmen on the field today and have been crushed by injuries, guys kicked off the team, suspended, academic ineligible. It’s not the 5 star talent throughout the lineup PC had

Winning football games are like newborn babies-----they're all beautiful.

Regardless of where we go or who we play-----we're 12-0.

Let that sink in and enjoy it for a few weeks.

Reactions: tkirish
Actually happy to see the adjustments in the second half. U$C came out firing, but we weathered the storm and made some adjustments at the half. Nice win and amazing season! 12-0. Cant be understated.

Reactions: Kelso86
this game is an embarrassment to this point. Out coached on both sides of the ball
Outcoached is a strong word. I really did not agree with the quasi-prevent defense approach. That was a bad decision and gave their offense rhythm and confidence. But Lea adjusted and they never scored again.

Again, the team looked exhausted and fundamentally were lacking (poor tackling is a sign of being tired).

Reactions: NotreDomer1
ND was not outcoached. The SC players came to play. Do not discount the fact that all traveling in the month of November finally caught up with them. This is not an excuse. Sometimes no matter how much effort you say you have, your body simply cannot meet the expectations. They were tired and you could see it. With that said. They came out in the 2nd half and made a few plays that were the difference. Give SC some credit, they really wanted this game and they played that way. Sometimes just getting the win is enough. This is one of those times.

ND was not outcoached. The SC players came to play. Do not discount the fact that all traveling in the month of November finally caught up with them. This is not an excuse. Sometimes no matter how much effort you say you have, your body simply cannot meet the expectations. They were tired and you could see it. With that said. They came out in the 2nd half and made a few plays that were the difference. Give SC some credit, they really wanted this game and they played that way. Sometimes just getting the win is enough. This is one of those times.

Wait a minute? Are you saying USC wanted to win too? I thought we weren't allowed to acknowledge the other team on this board. ;)

Reactions: notredamerises23
Bad defensive approach. Showed no respect to SC’s athletes or quarterback and they made us pay. When we adjusted it made all the difference. We could’ve won by much more with a better scheme.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
Another reason to not post while watching the game - novel idea, but maybe wait for the game to be played out and then post your consolidated thoughts?

12 - 0, baby, 12 - 0............

this game is an embarrassment to this point. Out coached on both sides of the ball

I’d tend to agree for the majority of the game.

Offensively, the coaching staff didn’t seem to recognize how often USC was blitzing, jamming the run and pressuring Book.

Flares/wheels, screens and draws were rarely used to counter that.

As the great American philosopher, Lou Holtz, stated, if you have to resort to trick plays, you’re desperate.

Defensively, they decided to not allow USC’s speed receivers to get deep. Not a bad strategy. Unfortunately, USC decided to throw quick passes with TJ getting rid of the ball in 2 to 3 seconds. That combination worked against ND with TJ going 15 for 16.

Traveling 8,700+ miles in a month or so is excessive by any metric..

Poor scheduling with that much travel leads to fatigue and with fatigue comes compromised play.

It’s been a great season, well beyond the expectations of most.

The month’s rest should improve our chances

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Bad defensive approach. Showed no respect to SC’s athletes or quarterback and they made us pay. When we adjusted it made all the difference. We could’ve won by much more with a better scheme.
What are you babbling about? Playing 20 yards off the ball is giving too much respect.

Reactions: HDK
It’s very fair and I’d say accurate that we were badly outcoached the first half. A huge concern I have is Clark Lea waiting until halftime until adjust. I think he was holding off on adjusting because I’d imagine USC wanted the corners to have to play more press coverage so they could beat us downfield, but I just disagree with how hesitant he was to make that change. Bend not break will get you crucified against Clemson and that ettiene back, and will get you 2012’d against mini Adolf and Tua.

If Clark Lea fails to adjust in game, and waits until halftime, we will get throttled by those 2 squads and the game will be effectively over before half. He cannot have that mindset, nor can Long be ultra conservative.

You disagree that the coaching was putrid in the first half, specifically first quarter?
coaching or execution ? Daniels performed at a level early he had not all year. he was remarkably accurate. sometimes you tip your hat to the other guy. Nd did what was needed to win the game. many here want or expect perfection. ain't happening.

It’s very fair and I’d say accurate that we were badly outcoached the first half. A huge concern I have is Clark Lea waiting until halftime until adjust. I think he was holding off on adjusting because I’d imagine USC wanted the corners to have to play more press coverage so they could beat us downfield, but I just disagree with how hesitant he was to make that change. Bend not break will get you crucified against Clemson and that ettiene back, and will get you 2012’d against mini Adolf and Tua.

If Clark Lea fails to adjust in game, and waits until halftime, we will get throttled by those 2 squads and the game will be effectively over before half. He cannot have that mindset, nor can Long be ultra conservative.
every team makes 99% of their adjustments at halftime. in game adjustments are quite rare and pretty much impossible to do well on the fly. been on the field or in the box when a game is actually going on ? the flow does not allow for proper time to do as you suggest. again, SC deserves huge credit for being remarkably efficient in their short passing game and staying ahead of the sticks. they looked like NDs offense when Book is on.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
You disagree that the coaching was putrid in the first half, specifically first quarter?
The play calling needs to get a lot better on offense or we won't even move the ball against the elites. Need to stop playing soft coverage at the beginning of games as well.

The play calling needs to get a lot better on offense or we won't even move the ball against the elites. Need to stop playing soft coverage at the beginning of games as well.
i had no problem with the soft coverage. Daniels was significantly more accurate than he'd been all year. tip of the cap to him. the philosophy was sound just not successful because the QB play by SC was exemplary.

Reactions: Pennick4
i had no problem with the soft coverage. Daniels was significantly more accurate than he'd been all year. tip of the cap to him. the philosophy was sound just not successful because the QB play by SC was exemplary.
I just think we need to start off differently in the next game. If Notre plays coverage that soft against Clemson/Alabama for the first half they're likely spotting them at least 3 touchdowns.

I liked the adjustments to go to zone in the second half it definitely caught Daniel's off guard. Outside of a few plays I thought the offensive play calling was pretty much abysmal most of the night.

Lea played it correctly. He knew that SC could burn ND on long plays.

I just think we need to start off differently in the next game. If Notre plays coverage that soft against Clemson/Alabama for the first half they're likely spotting them at least 3 touchdowns.

I liked the adjustments to go to zone in the second half it definitely caught Daniel's off guard. Outside of a few plays I thought the offensive play calling was pretty much abysmal most of the night.
every opponent is different. you evaluate film and game plan accordingly.

funny how a few fairly easy missed throws by the QB can throw the entire offense off kilter. complete a few of those and the defense is on its heels. the whole dynamic changes.

"We could’ve won by much more with a better scheme"

Maybe Clark should have contacted you before heading out to Los Angeles!

Reactions: sluggo69
do you get extra credit for winning by a larger margin ? haven't found that category in the won/lost standings.

Reactions: Kelso86
funny how a few fairly easy missed throws by the QB can throw the entire offense off kilter. complete a few of those and the defense is on its heels. the whole dynamic changes.

How many times have I gone back to watch a game I recorded, only to wonder if the outcome would have been different if the QB had only hit a wide open receiver or a receiver had only held onto a ball that slipped right through his hands?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT