ADVERTISEMENT

The main reason ND should move in a different direction

And Dabo did it with Klubnick vs Syracuse, and it worked out well for Dabo and Clemson. At least he's not afraid to do it.
But…. Klubnick was not asked to do much against Syracuse. Debo inserted him vs ND inside the 20. To start a drive.

Freeman didn’t do it vs Navy. 1-0
Correct. He stuck with Pyne, to the tune of 1 first down, 1 INT and 2 yards … and it was just enough to secure victory, unlike Stanford where one FG would have won it.

But…. Klubnick was not asked to do much against Syracuse. Debo inserted him vs ND inside the 20. To start a drive.
With Syracuse, it changed how Syracuse was lining up on defense.

Do you believe Navy would have continued to load up the box with 9 players, without knowing Angeli's abilities, pocket presence, his ability to throw the ball?

With Syracuse, it changed how Syracuse was lining up on defense.

Do you believe Navy would have continued to load up the box with 9 players, without knowing Angeli's abilities, pocket presence, his ability to throw the ball?
Apparently, according to someone on here they didn't put 9 in the box. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
I understand the Pyne frustration, but reality is: we might not have a better option….

Soph Angeli?
Healthy Buchner? Can he throw and run an O?
Transfer? Who?

I’m not advocating for Pyne, I’m just saying it’s reality that he could be the starter again…..
Nobody is contesting that claim. Just lamenting that the QB situation is really bad.

“Poisoned” by BK…..cmon. That’s not a really rational take.

The QB room is a complex challenge. Pyne will be back next season, as will Buchner. Both will want to start. I’m sure a transfer will be coming in too. Angeli will be a soph, and he’ll want an opportunity. There’ll be numbers in the QB room. Can any of those guys win 11 games and win a playoff game?
If either Buckner or Pyne start, we are toast. We need a portal QB, unless Angeli blossoms next spring and summers.

I don't blame him, if Notre Dame is the "Notre Dame" everyone seems to still think they are then Tommy Rees should not have been even CLOSE to being offered the job in the first place. At most it would've been nice for them to give him an interview so he could go through the process, be a "candidate," or whatever.

But from day 1 it was completely ridiculous that he was offered the job. He should have, at best, been a "head" assistant or whatever to some veteran offensive coach. And then MAYBE whenever that coach leaves, he gets a shot. But for him to be named the OC of Notre Dame 7 years after he was the QB of Notre Dame.....ridiculous.

I don't blame him, if Notre Dame is the "Notre Dame" everyone seems to still think they are then Tommy Rees should not have been even CLOSE to being offered the job in the first place. At most it would've been nice for them to give him an interview so he could go through the process, be a "candidate," or whatever.

But from day 1 it was completely ridiculous that he was offered the job. He should have, at best, been a "head" assistant or whatever to some veteran offensive coach. And then MAYBE whenever that coach leaves, he gets a shot. But for him to be named the OC of Notre Dame 7 years after he was the QB of Notre Dame.....ridiculous.
With Kelly about to take him and other coaches to LSU, leaving our coaching cupboard empty, hiring a successful OC who was intimately familiar with the personnel, was the right move.

But tell us, what viable OC was available when Kelly announced that he was leaving.

With Kelly about to take him and other coaches to LSU, leaving our coaching cupboard empty, hiring a successful OC who was intimately familiar with the personnel, was the right move.

But tell us, what viable OC was available when Kelly announced that he was leaving.
Kelly didn't take anyone that we wanted

I’m still a bit surprised Tommy Rees did not go to LSU. Mike Denbrock instead, who is simply an older version of Tommy, and I wonder if Denbrock would now be in South Bend if Rees had left.

I’m still a bit surprised Tommy Rees did not go to LSU. Mike Denbrock instead, who is simply an older version of Tommy, and I wonder if Denbrock would now be in South Bend if Rees had left.
Denbrick is better imo

I understand the Pyne frustration, but reality is: we might not have a better option….

Soph Angeli?
Healthy Buchner? Can he throw and run an O?
Transfer? Who?

I’m not advocating for Pyne, I’m just saying it’s reality that he could be the starter again…..
Agree, and if anyone thinks if Minchey ends up committing, that he could beat out 3 QB's that already know the playbook and have been in the program 2+ years, will be extremely disappointed.

Agree, and if anyone thinks if Minchey ends up committing, that he could beat out 3 QB's that already know the playbook and have been in the program 2+ years, will be extremely disappointed.
Pyne wont be the starter next year because a transfer kid will beat him out. Or Buchner

I dont think anyone is thinking Minchey is going to start next year

Reactions: NDinNJ
Pyne wont be the starter next year because a transfer kid will beat him out. Or Buchner

I dont think anyone is thinking Minchey is going to start next year
I understand that, I hope Freeman is smart enough to get a transfer next year, even if just as an insurance policy if Buchner gets hurt again.

Kelly didn't take anyone that we wanted
You didn’t know that on the date that Kelly announced that he was leaving.
Rees would have gone with him if Swarbrick didn’t intercede

So you want to take amother coach totally inexperienced as an OC and appoint him as the new OC !

You’re clueless !
You meant who was available for us to bring in as OC?

Look around the country. Find the best guy. Pay him a lot of $

We shouldnt be a football factory where we compromise our academic standards. But we shoupd absolutely be paying up to bring in the best coaches

We shouldnt be a football factory where we compromise our academic standards. But we shoupd absolutely be paying up to bring in the best coaches
I’m not remotely interested in him as a coach but look at what Whipple was able to do with Kenny Pickett and Jordan Addison

You and others seem to forget the timing of Kelly’s abandonment, he left us at the worst possible time, a time when the pool of viable coaches was at it’s shallowest.

He fooked us royalty !

You and others seem to forget the timing of Kelly’s abandonment, he left us at the worst possible time, a time when the pool of viable coaches was at it’s shallowest.

He fooked us royalty !
Not for assistants. They change after december and january. We had plenty of time to hire an OC

All assistants

How do you think we got Mcculough, Stuckey, Golden, Washington, Heistand, Mason, Parker ??
Let me qualify my statement, which OC’s were available.

And let‘s not forget that most good teams with good OC’s were preparing for Bowl games, and as such, not available when Kelly jumped ship on ND.

Such that the pool of viable OC’s at that point in time was incredibly shallow

Last edited:
Let me qualify my statement, which OC’s were available.

And let‘s not forget that most good teams with good OC’s were preparing for Bowl games, and as such, not available when Kelly jumped ship on ND.

SO lust the pool of viable OC’s at that point in time.
All of them.

We didn't get our DC until February. You can wait til after the bowl games and go after anyone that you would want

Not for assistants. They change after december and january. We had plenty of time to hire an OC
"We had plenty of time to hire an OC"

ND may have had plenty of time -- but remember, Jack S hired Rees prior to promoting Freeman.

Now, that Freeman has had a year under his belt, he needs to define what kind offense he wants (Rees has way too much autonomy), and go and get his guy.

Reactions: Golson5

ND may have had plenty of time -- but remember, Jack S hired Rees prior to promoting Freeman.

Now, that Freeman has had a year under his belt, he needs to define what kind offense he wants (Rees has way too much autonomy), and go and get his guy.
Agree

Marcus Freeman has a far bigger problem locating the QB he wants to better the offense. X’s and O’s and on the field coaching acumen is a distant second to QB prowess improving the offense.

If you want to question QB recruiting, then fair.

Reactions: Kelso86
Marcus Freeman has a far bigger problem locating the QB he wants to better the offense. X’s and O’s and on the field coaching acumen is a distant second to QB prowess improving the offense.

If you want to question QB recruiting, then fair.
Both are big problems

Reactions: Kelso86
If Caleb Williams transfers to ND, your issues with Tommy Rees are far less apparent.
Obviously. And same thing if we bring in the best OC out there. Buchner might look like a stud. And Pyne might be better than serviceable

All of them.

We didn't get our DC until February. You can wait til after the bowl games and go after anyone that you would want
So what ?

Why would you take an isolated incident and expand it to a universal ?

You have a habit of doing that and it’s flawed reasoning at best.

Do you mean before spring practice begins ?

You don’t have a clue when it comes to contractual obligations and breach of contract penalties.

You’re living in a dream world if you think that the best assistant coaches are free agents in February just waiting for a myriad of offers

Obviously. And same thing if we bring in the best OC out there. Buchner might look like a stud. And Pyne might be better than serviceable
WHY ?

WOULD THE NEW OC INCREASE THEIR HEIGHT, CHANGE THEIR THROWING MOTION, INFUSE BETTER SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, IMPROVE THEIR DECISION MAKING PROCESS ?

You present yourself as an expert when you’re really clueless

So how do you slice the blame pie? Is the OC the bigger problem with the offense, are QB issues the bigger problem, or is it 50-50?

So how do you slice the blame pie? Is the OC the bigger problem with the offense, are QB issues the bigger problem, or is it 50-50?
75 25 Rees because he recruited them. He coaches the position. And he calls the plays

So what ?

Why would you take an isolated incident and expand it to a universal ?

You have a habit of doing that and it’s flawed reasoning at best.

Do you mean before spring practice begins ?

You don’t have a clue when it comes to contractual obligations and breach of contract penalties.

You’re living in a dream world if you think that the best assistant coaches are free agents in February just waiting for a myriad of offers
Its not an isolated incident. Assistant Coaches around the country change teams between December and February. It's very common.

The coaching staffs around the country are usually in flux til late January early February.

That's normal

75 25 Rees because he recruited them. He coaches the position. And he calls the plays
Well, when Tommy Rees had seasoned fifth year seniors Ian Book and Jack Coan the last two seasons before this one , the offense looked much better.

To say this season’s offensive wows is 75% on Tommy Rees seems misguided.

Its not an isolated incident. Assistant Coaches around the country change teams between December and February. It's very common.

The coaching staffs around the country are usually in flux til late January early February.

That's normal
Then you should have no trouble identifying the really great OC’s who were available right after Freeman was named HC.

Go ahead, name them !

ADVERTISEMENT