ADVERTISEMENT

The main reason ND should move in a different direction

Dec 29, 2005
from Tommy Rees IMO. We’ve all been debating his play calling bonafides or lack there of but it’s his inability to recruit or develop the QB position that most concerns me. It’s the single most important position on a FB team, very few teams win a CFB title or even playoff game without a top tier QB.

I fear he has been poisoned by BK in that regard as that was/is BK’s Achilles heel. I have little faith TR will be able to get kids to come to ND and then groom them into special players at the position.

from Tommy Rees IMO. We’ve all been debating his play calling bonafides or lack there of but it’s his inability to recruit or develop the QB position that most concerns me. It’s the single most important position on a FB team, very few teams win a CFB title or even playoff game without a top tier QB.

I fear he has been poisoned by BK in that regard as that was/is BK’s Achilles heel. I have little faith TR will be able to get kids to come to ND and then groom them into special players at the position.
I believe Rees will get a mulligan this year. Unless he decides to leave on his own, he will be ND's OC next season. The excuse will be the QB room was a mess.
My response would be, Well Tom, you were in charge of the QB room for the past 6 years, you didn't see this coming?

He evaluates it exactly how he played!

I dont think you can really judge him with DP there. Any replay you watch, there are people running open all over the field.

Can you blame him for an injury to Buch? Probably not, but you can blame him for not bringing in a Portal player and a big-time recruit.

Who knows, maybe CJ reclassifies. You cannot say that CJ is not a big-time recruit, he is.

He can coach it, he can call it, he can draw up plays. You can see him yelling in the box to "throw the FN screen" so obviously DP is missing.

I don't think we can really judge either MF or TR for 2 more years. Then they own it. They own the recruits, the system and the plays.

Just my perspective. Re-watching Navy, you can see DP went into full protect mode after that batted pass. He was like Maverick in top gun. He would not engage.

Yea, maybe that's TRs fault but he is playing the hand dealt.

Play calling is half of Tommy’s job. The other half is recruiting and developing QBs. QB is not executing, week after week. It’s not once, or twice, it’s multiple times every week.

As good as Mayer is playing, The QB has cost him 5 more TDs

100%, Pyne has just missed several streaking wr’s/te’s this season. Definitely left a lot of points, big chunk plays on the field.

“Poisoned” by BK…..cmon. That’s not a really rational take.

The QB room is a complex challenge. Pyne will be back next season, as will Buchner. Both will want to start. I’m sure a transfer will be coming in too. Angeli will be a soph, and he’ll want an opportunity. There’ll be numbers in the QB room. Can any of those guys win 11 games and win a playoff game?

The QB room is a complex challenge. Pyne will be back next season, as will Buchner. Both will want to start. I’m sure a transfer will be coming in too. Angeli will be a soph, and he’ll want an opportunity. There’ll be numbers in the QB room. Can any of those guys win 11 games and win a playoff game?
I’m an old fashion QB guy. I like the big kids with huge arms. I can’t believe ND can’t get a big gun slinger. Pyne missed opened wrs yesterday. Buchner unfortunately just reminds me of a kid that just stop being injured. Some players just seem to always get hurt

I’m an old fashion QB guy. I like the big kids with huge arms. I can’t believe ND can’t get a big gun slinger. Pyne missed opened wrs yesterday. Buchner unfortunately just reminds me of a kid that just stop being injured. Some players just seem to always get hurt
Closest we’ve got to that is Angelli. Coan. Kizer.

If Pyne is seen as a realistic option to see even a minute of action next season then we should be looking to move on from the entire coaching staff.

Agree, they are big guys but not throwing laser beams. Trevor Lawrence is the prototype.
Hes a once in a generation type

The kid from unc would put us in NC talk. Hooker too

It sucks we haven't come close to landing any stud qbs

We haven't had a legit stud nfl QB since Montana. That's scary

I liked seeing the offensive coordinators on the sideline interacting with kids yesterday. Both Garrett Riley and Phil Longo were on the field during timeouts, talking to the QB during injury timeouts, etc. teaching, motivating, celebrating. Rees sits his ass in the booth and doesn’t do shit besides show up at the end of the Clemson game so they can make a fake ass recruiting video of him hugging Pyne instead of clips of him with his hands in his face or GD’ing his 5’9 QB.

Hes a once in a generation type

The kid from unc would put us in NC talk. Hooker too

It sucks we haven't come close to landing any stud qbs

We haven't had a legit stud nfl QB since Montana. That's scary
I thought Clausen could have been. Crist looked the part off the field. So did Kent Graham. Everyone says Powlus was before the broken collarbone.

UNCs last 3 QBs would have had us in contention.

Reactions: Golson5
Angeli doesnt have a really big arm

Kizer was the best example.

Coans arm was average
I'm in disbelief that Angeli didn't get a series with Pyne struggling so mightily in the 2nd half. If pyne is missing wide open receivers I would think the staff would say hey let's see what Angeli can do. It's a risk sure, but it couldn't have been worse then what we watched in the 2nd half.

Weren’t we loving tommy last week? I‘m confused with you posters. Maybe none of you know Jack shit either

Kids simply don't want to come to ND and be mentored by Rees. They didn't want to come to be mentored by BK. Any big time QB recruit we landed during the Kelly era seemed to not pan out/transfer. Tell me how Alabama has 2 top QB recruits committed in this current class, and ND can't even land a 3-star. I agree with the original poster, TR needs to go. Freeman has to hire a home run OC that gets a QB excited with the potential of playing for the Irish.

They did move in a different direction. After Marshall. They’re 7-1 since and 3-0 vs ranked teams.

Facts indicate it was an excellent move.

Reactions: Kelso86
Kids simply don't want to come to ND and be mentored by Rees. They didn't want to come to be mentored by BK. Any big time QB recruit we landed during the Kelly era seemed to not pan out/transfer. Tell me how Alabama has 2 top QB recruits committed in this current class, and ND can't even land a 3-star. I agree with the original poster, TR needs to go. Freeman has to hire a home run OC that gets a QB excited with the potential of playing for the Irish.
CJ Carr disagrees with you.

I'm in disbelief that Angeli didn't get a series with Pyne struggling so mightily in the 2nd half. If pyne is missing wide open receivers I would think the staff would say hey let's see what Angeli can do. It's a risk sure, but it couldn't have been worse then what we watched in the 2nd half.

Pyne was struggling because he was getting his clock cleaned

Pyne was struggling because he was getting his clock cleaned
A couple good posts on Twitter showing Pyne missing reads on RPO and handing off to RB while two receivers are uncovered

the first TD pass to Estime was a good read and an easy TD

you simply have to make cover 0 blitzing defenses pay … like Ohio state, UNC (and others did to us)

CJ Carr disagrees with you.
1 guy in a recruiting class 2 years from now is an outlier if I ever saw one. My point is a program like Alabama has QBs scratching and clawing for roster spots and they have 2 QB commits in this class alone. Only 1 QB can play at a time. ND doesn't excite prospective QBs. We end up with table scraps. Angela is a table scrap. Pyne is a table scrap. Buchner is a table scrap and would be a backup on most Division I teams.

1 guy in a recruiting class 2 years from now is an outlier if I ever saw one. My point is a program like Alabama has QBs scratching and clawing for roster spots and they have 2 QB commits in this class alone. Only 1 QB can play at a time. ND doesn't excite prospective QBs. We end up with table scraps. Angela is a table scrap. Pyne is a table scrap. Buchner is a table scrap and would be a backup on most Division I teams.
He’s not a table scrap he’s a solid 4* recruit but your point is right we are not competing for most of the upper echelon QBs because our track record is not good with QBs … where is our Tua, Stroud, Lawrence, Ewers, Murray? That would put us over the top, assuming we could get, develop and properly utilize … a lot of “ifs”

I have followed recruiting quite awhile. I watched his interview the day he committed. I do not believe CJ Carr will decommit.
I don’t either. He seems locked in. I only see it as a slight possibility if we landed a 5 star in 2023.

He’s not a table scrap he’s a solid 4* recruit but your point is right we are not competing for most of the upper echelon QBs because our track record is not good with QBs … where is our Tua, Stroud, Lawrence, Ewers, Murray? That would put us over the top, assuming we could get, develop and properly utilize … a lot of “ifs”
We have yet to really see his ability to throw and complete passes over multiple games, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to sling the ball, otherwise we would have seen it more during his limited playing time. Therefore, to me he is just an athletic guy when running with the ball. A table scrap if you will as far as QBs go. Big time D-I QB's need to throw.

If Pyne is seen as a realistic option to see even a minute of action next season then we should be looking to move on from the entire coaching staff.
You have no clue. Back to back top recruiting classes . QBs with absolutely no experience. Geez!

We havent had a stud QB that we put in the nfl since Montana.

Our offense is run first and not very creative or dynamic for QBs.

We need an elite OC

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT