ADVERTISEMENT

The main reason ND should move in a different direction

We have yet to really see his ability to throw and complete passes over multiple games, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to sling the ball, otherwise we would have seen it more during his limited playing time. Therefore, to me he is just an athletic guy when running with the ball. A table scrap if you will as far as QBs go. Big time D-I QB's need to throw.
If Tyler Buchner was your son, would you refer to him as "table scraps..?"

It is not okay to miss a 23 QB and just go portal. you never know what you're going to get with qb recruiting. Book was simply some 3 star place holder sandwiched between two kids assumed way better. then he became the winningest qb in program history. you need to bring in bodies, let them compete, transfer out if they want, etc. We simply cannot miss a 23 kid or a grad transfer. need both.

We have yet to really see his ability to throw and complete passes over multiple games, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to sling the ball, otherwise we would have seen it more during his limited playing time. Therefore, to me he is just an athletic guy when running with the ball. A table scrap if you will as far as QBs go. Big time D-I QB's need to throw.
He hasn’t taken a meaningful snap yet in a game. He’s a freshman. We will find out.

I dont think you can really judge him with DP there. Any replay you watch, there are people running open all over the field.

Can you blame him for an injury to Buch? Probably not, but you can blame him for not bringing in a Portal player and a big-time recruit.

Who knows, maybe CJ reclassifies. You cannot say that CJ is not a big-time recruit, he is.

He can coach it, he can call it, he can draw up plays. You can see him yelling in the box to "throw the FN screen" so obviously DP is missing.

I don't think we can really judge either MF or TR for 2 more years. Then they own it. They own the recruits, the system and the plays.

Just my perspective. Re-watching Navy, you can see DP went into full protect mode after that batted pass. He was like Maverick in top gun. He would not engage.

Yea, maybe that's TRs fault but he is playing the hand dealt.
Pyne went 17 of 21 so where were those guys running all over the field who were wide open on the 4 plays where he threw incomplete passes.

Josh Allen who is 6’5” had a pass batted down today, is he too short ?

Pyne went 17 of 21 so where were those guys running all over the field who were wide open on the 4 plays where he threw incomplete passes.

Josh Allen who is 6’5” had a pass batted down today, is he too short ?
4 incomplete passes, and 5 sacks, 3 of the sacks were Pyne's fault!

Reactions: HarlemIrish
I thought Clausen could have been. Crist looked the part off the field. So did Kent Graham. Everyone says Powlus was before the broken collarbone.

UNCs last 3 QBs would have had us in contention.
Kent Graham hooked onto Big Blue. He did have a big arm. Jeff George. Monster arm but I believe a headache

Reactions: NDDadx3
Kent Graham hooked onto Big Blue. He did have a big arm. Jeff George. Monster arm but I believe a headache
Yes he was on the 88 championship team and Holtz would insert him on obvious passing downs then he transferred to Ohio State which was not a great team and I remember he played some for the football Giants.

ND isn’t beating Alabama in 2020 or Clemson in 2018 with vintage Andrew Luck at QB.
2018 against Clemson would have been a hell of a game with Luck at QB.

Not saying we win but we had a chance for sure

If Pyne is seen as a realistic option to see even a minute of action next season then we should be looking to move on from the entire coaching staff.
I understand the Pyne frustration, but reality is: we might not have a better option….

Soph Angeli?
Healthy Buchner? Can he throw and run an O?
Transfer? Who?

I’m not advocating for Pyne, I’m just saying it’s reality that he could be the starter again…..

Last edited:
I'm in disbelief that Angeli didn't get a series with Pyne struggling so mightily in the 2nd half. If pyne is missing wide open receivers I would think the staff would say hey let's see what Angeli can do. It's a risk sure, but it couldn't have been worse then what we watched in the 2nd half.
Regulars here know that you’re an Angeli fan. The NJ connection makes it obvious. Genuinely- I respect and appreciate your stance in rooting for the guy……

But he’s a true Freshman, and unless I’m mistaken, he doesn’t have 1 elite skill that you know he can lean on when necessary. To me, it’s just doubtful that he goes in and does anything really positive. We have no idea how well he even knows the offense. Do they have a package built for him?

Do you think he should start next season? Or better question- do you think he’s a that can start and win 11 games next season? I’d love for it to happen.

I understand the Pyne frustration, but reality is: we might now have a better option….

Soph Angeli?
Healthy Buchner? Can he throw and run an O?
Transfer? Who?

I’m not advocating for Pyne, I’m just saying it’s reality that he could be the starter again…..
I’d be surprised if a viable transfer doesn’t become a factor

Reactions: IrishMike409
Regulars here know that you’re an Angeli fan. The NJ connection makes it obvious. Genuinely- I respect and appreciate your stance in rooting for the guy……
I'm in disbelief that Angeli didn't get a series with Pyne struggling so mightily in the 2nd half. If pyne is missing wide open receivers I would think the staff would say hey let's see what Angeli can do. It's a risk sure, but it couldn't have been worse then what we watched in the 2nd half.
Do you really believe that Angeli would perform better than Pyne under the same aggressive defense that Navy mounted ?

And if he fumbled or threw an interception that allowed Navy to win the game you’d be complaining that the coaches never should have thrust an untested QB into that situation.

The OLine and the OC and HC bear the bulk of the blame

Do you really believe that Angeli would perform better than Pyne under the same aggressive defense that Navy mounted ?

And if he fumbled or threw an interception that allowed Navy to win the game you’d be complaining that the coaches never should have thrust an untested QB into that situation.

The OLine and the OC and HC bear the bulk of the blame
Pyne stunk it up too. 3 of those 5 sacks were on Pyne!! watch the game!

Pyne stunk it up too. 3 of those 5 sacks were on Pyne!! watch the game!
I will.

How do you know that Angeli would have performed better, especially given his lack of experience

And, How do you know that those sacks weren’t coverage sacks

I will.

How do you know that Angeli would have performed better, especially given his lack of experience

And, How do you know that those sacks weren’t coverage sacks
I don't know if Angeli would have played better, but when the offense was struggling as bad as it was, you take the chance. Give Angeli a series. If it backfires it backfires, but trying the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity.

Didn’t Crist blow his knee out while running ……. Twice ?
Crist, Those were great days on this board. Every poster had an opinion about him.
I can’t believe ND can’t get a top QB. I mean rated top 3. There was a time playing QB @ ND was like playing QB for the Cowboys or CF for the Yankees.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Pyne was struggling because he was getting his clock cleaned
The guy who recommended a true freshman QB, who has never thrown a pass, go into a competitive football game, that ND was incapable of protecting the passer? Is quite simply a fool, who clearly never buckled on a helmet, strapped up a set of shoulder pads and wore a pair of cleats in his life.

The OP has said many, many, many stupid things regarding ND football, but this may actually be the dumbest.

Reactions: graceh90
The guy who recommended a true freshman QB, who has never thrown a pass, go into a competitive football game, that ND was incapable of protecting the passer? Is quite simply a fool, who clearly never buckled on a helmet, strapped up a set of shoulder pads and wore a pair of cleats in his life.

The OP has said many, many, many stupid things regarding ND football, but this may actually be the dumbest.
Yea because that's never happened in the history of college football. I played enough football, it's clear by your comments, you haven't.

The difference is great coaches have their 2nd string QB ready. You are just too dumb to realize that Angeli has been taking snaps for the past 8 weeks in practice. If Pyne goes down Angeli MUST be ready. You really aren't very bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5

That’s exactly what Dabo did with Trevor Lawrence in his first ever action vs Syracuse … and the rest is history. Not saying Angelli is Lawrence but It does happen.

Reactions: NDinNJ
That’s exactly what Dabo did with Trevor Lawrence in his first ever action vs Syracuse … and the rest is history. Not saying Angelli is Lawrence but It does happen.
It’s also what Dabo did with Klubnick, that worked out well….for us

It’s also what Dabo did with Klubnick, that worked out well….for us
And Dabo did it with Klubnick vs Syracuse, and it worked out well for Dabo and Clemson. At least he's not afraid to do it.

It does happen rarely and it takes an especially talented QB to be successful.

It does happen rarely and it takes an especially talented QB
Dabo did it with Klubnick twice this season. First time vs Syracuse when they were down, sparked the offense, it worked out. Second time vs ND, didn't work out. 1-1

Reactions: NDDadx3
I don't know if Angeli would have played better, but when the offense was struggling as bad as it was, you take the chance. Give Angeli a series. If it backfires it backfires, but trying the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity.
We disagree, it’s irrefutable that ND won with Pyne, you don’t know if that would have been the outcome had you played Angeli

ADVERTISEMENT