ADVERTISEMENT

The Hartman overreaction is funny as hell

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Hartman is a 4 star transfer. He's a modest improvement over Drew Pyne. And despite the Pyne hate, Pyne produced a 150+ quarterback rating, hit 65% of his throws and was really efficient across the board.

If Hartman can reproduce those numbers (with the loss of Mike Mayer) that would be a solid win for the organization. Right now ND is losing Mike Mayer who was a fantastic blocker and even better pass catcher and have no one on the roster with that kind of production or potential to replace him with. This should be a way bigger story this off-season than the Hartman addition but i digress.

Hartman's arm will also allow Rees to open up the offense more vs more talented teams because Hartman can attack more zones (deeper) with his arm. With that being said, he's probably not going to be as efficient as Drew Pyne was, so Hartman's playmaking is likely to come with less efficiency overall than Pyne. All added up, im guessing Hartman is a 1 win improvement over Pyne.

It will be a Buchner vs Hartman battle in fall camp with Hartman having the edge because of experience/production but Buchner is the far more talented athlete with far more upside if he can polish his passing skills this off-season and get stronger/more durable. Buchner still only has like 4-5 starts to his career even though it feels like he's been around forever. And he did overwhelm south carolina with 350 yards and 5 TDs in his first game back from serious injury. Buchner's style of play also fits better with NDs OL-heavy offense. I think Buchner will have a role in the offense regardless similar to the Coan/Buchner situation in 2021.

Notre Dame has good P5 talent all over the 2 deep but lacking playoff caliber talent & depth at most positions outside of offensive line. It's that lack of upside/star power that is their biggest hinderance to a playoff & national title right now and unfortunately the 2023 class that was just signed is more of the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio1980
lol

Go-Go Gadget reach here, Chase. SH’s didn’t put the fear of God in his coaches and fans each time he dropped back. His stats included two times the attempts of DP and I’m assuming Wake Forest didn’t have the quality oline or rb groups ND did. Lastly SH’s been productive for 4 years.

Hartman is a 4 star transfer. He's a modest improvement over Drew Pyne. And despite the Pyne hate, Pyne produced a 150+ quarterback rating, hit 65% of his throws and was really efficient across the board.

If Hartman can reproduce those numbers (with the loss of Mike Mayer) that would be a solid win for the organization. Right now ND is losing Mike Mayer who was a fantastic blocker and even better pass catcher and have no one on the roster with that kind of production or potential to replace him with. This should be a way bigger story this off-season than the Hartman addition but i digress.

Hartman's arm will also allow Rees to open up the offense more vs more talented teams because Hartman can attack more zones (deeper) with his arm. With that being said, he's probably not going to be as efficient as Drew Pyne was, so Hartman's playmaking is likely to come with less efficiency overall than Pyne. All added up, im guessing Hartman is a 1 win improvement over Pyne.

It will be a Buchner vs Hartman battle in fall camp with Hartman having the edge because of experience/production but Buchner is the far more talented athlete with far more upside if he can polish his passing skills this off-season and get stronger/more durable. Buchner still only has like 4-5 starts to his career even though it feels like he's been around forever. And he did overwhelm south carolina with 350 yards and 5 TDs in his first game back from serious injury. Buchner's style of play also fits better with NDs OL-heavy offense. I think Buchner will have a role in the offense regardless similar to the Coan/Buchner situation in 2021.

Notre Dame has good P5 talent all over the 2 deep but lacking playoff caliber talent & depth at most positions outside of offensive line. It's that lack of upside/star power that is their biggest hinderance to a playoff & national title right now and unfortunately the 2023 class that was just signed is more of the same.
TCU has better players than ND ??

Hartman is a great pickup. We now have a chance at the playoffs and against Ohio State. If we need Buchner, he can play. This is about improving ND, not meeting the emotional needs of message board posters. If it was a bad choice, Freeman wouldn't have made it. If you don't like having Hartman, complain about Freeman. The Freeman lovers at all cost gang that are bitching about the Hartman pickup are an odd bunch. Probably lucky lefty fans.

It’s almost as if the majority of people who post on this board are overreacting lunatics or something.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
The baseline with Hartman is extremely high…. If Buchner can beat him out, amazing… that would mean we have a top 5 college qb or better. I see less than 10% chance Buchner can or will ever be better than Hartman is right now. That’s without Hartman improving due to having a pretty complete team at ND.

Well I'm all aboard the SH train. If he's anything like Jack Coan, then we should have a good season ahead of us in 2023. Besides, it's fun. It's an adventure. I'm all for it. I probably wouldn't have done it myself, but now that it's done I'm all for it. I can understand MF wanting to get back to double digit wins, and so you gotta take some chances, and make some moves.....

As far as TB's future goes it's a damn shame he got injured like he did, because he'd probably the established starter himself right now if he hadn't and there'd be no SH to overreact to. But that's not the way it went, and now the SH era begins in earnest for ND football!!

Reactions: IrishMike409
The baseline with Hartman is extremely high…. If Buchner can beat him out, amazing… that would mean we have a top 5 college qb or better. I see less than 10% chance Buchner can or will ever be better than Hartman is right now. That’s without Hartman improving due to having a pretty complete team at ND.
Hartman isnt top 5

he is a good QB! an experienced ready to go guy, no downside to his addition.
I agree there is no downside. But the Hartman hype is getting out of control for a 4-star transfer/ 6th year guy with no NFL future. Hartman was so unspectacular at WF, that he wore out his welcome at Wake of all places, similar to how Ian Book (& Drew Pyne) did at ND.
Or, perhaps never come back. Nothing is ever good enough for Chase.
It isn't about being good enough for me, it's about being good enough to move the needle on the status of the program. What ND fan in the world wants to see another decade of championship-less mediocre bleh? If ND fans were married to ND they'd be dry as a desert with their legs closed fed up with an ultra vanilla marriage.

I can't be the only one tired of having less than 10% chance vs the tier 1 of college football. There's no reason for it. Stop buying NDs hype/PR and look at the obvious data in front of you. ND is selling wolf tickets folks.

Last edited:
I agree there is no downside. But the Hartman hype is getting out of control for a 4-star transfer/ 6th year guy with no NFL future. Hartman was so unspectacular at WF, that he wore out his welcome at Wake of all places, similar to how Ian Book (& Drew Pyne) did at ND.

It isn't about being good enough for me, it's about being good enough to move the needle on the status of the program. What ND fan in the world wants to see another decade of championship-less mediocre bleh? If ND fans were married to ND they'd be dry as a desert with their legs closed fed up with an ultra vanilla marriage.

I can't be the only one tired of having less than 10% chance vs the tier 1 of college football. There's no reason for it. Stop buying NDs hype/PR and look at the obvious data in front of you. ND is selling wolf tickets folks.
What the hell does the number of " stars" he was designated to be in high school have to do with the type of player he is now ? Means absolutely nothing. Exhibit #1, Stetson Bennett.

Not an ND fan....at all.

Not an ND fan....at all.
What the hell does the number of " stars" he was designated to be in high school have to do with the type of player he is now? Means absolutely nothing. Exhibit #1, Stetson Bennett.
It does not mean EVERYTHING, but to point out 1 player, (Bennett) and try to make a point that HS star rankings are meaningless is naive and ridiculous.

Especially since the schools who have consistently brought in the highest ranked classes over the past 9 years, have virtually taken every playoff spot and have won every National Championship. In fact, if it wasn't for one of the schools LSU, beating another one of those schools Alabama, on the last play this season, we would probably be looking at Alabama v Georgia Part 3 tonight. Not TCU and there 3-star players about to get run off the field by Georgias 4- and 5-star players.

Reactions: chaseball
I would put him in the 5-10 range… not potential, not in a few years, right now
They arent playing right now. They play in 9 months. And talent always rises. There will be much more than 5 guys you'd rather have during the season

Reactions: chaseball
They arent playing right now. They play in 9 months. And talent always rises. There will be much more than 5 guys you'd rather have during the season
Not starting in september, maybe by november

Williams
Maye
Duggan
Jayden Daniels
maybe bo nix
maybe jordan travis

He's definitely top 5-10 at worst entering next year.

Reactions: echowaker
Definitely by November
i wouldn't be shocked if Hartman improves and is top 5 QBR in the country. If the oline plays well and the easy throws our offense generates due to run game, he could be even better.

Recruiting rankings are the greatest invention since the wheel.
They are generally good but they are just a rating of what the player is when they come out. Yes sometimes the 3 stars don’t catch up but some do.

Chase is coming off as a serious Boxscore watcher if he thinks Hartman and Pyne are even in the same stratosphere

Reactions: echowaker
They are generally good but they are just a rating of what the player is when they come out. Yes sometimes the 3 stars don’t catch up but some do.

Chase is coming off as a serious Boxscore watcher if he thinks Hartman and Pyne are even in the same stratosphere
I agree they are generally good, but the amount of people that look at a high school star rating in retrospect of a players credentials/achievements once in college is amazingly sad. How many NFL GM's looked at Mahomes on draft day and thought, well you know, he was a 3 star recruit according to Joe Schmo high school stalker 5 years ago, so...

i wouldn't be shocked if Hartman improves and is top 5 QBR in the country. If the oline plays well and the easy throws our offense generates due to run game, he could be even better.
He won't be a top 5 qb though

I have said for years it would be cool for someone to create an oops recruiting site that reranks players post career. Hartman would certainly be a 5 star. Not that it would matter, but it would shut people up and would be an interesting place to click and read.

I have said for years it would be cool for someone to create an oops recruiting site that reranks players post career. Hartman would certainly be a 5 star. Not that it would matter, but it would shut people up and would be an interesting place to click and read.
4 star

Anybody that thinks SH is a slight improvement over DP is out there. Look at SH did behind a marginal offensive line and almost no threat of running game. I think he is the missing piece to winning 10-12 games a year. Nobody feared ND of throwing the ball deep over the last few years . I would say he is a major up grade over four QB`s. TB just needs experience and a QB coach that is elite.

We always have good TEs ready to step up. Maybe not in Mayer's class, but I think we will get good TE play.
ND has been known for TEs since Dave Casper. We had a TE transfer recently due to a lack of playing time. That means there were better players in front of him.

It would be the most predictable/boring site ever because outside of a few examples it would look just like the recruiting rankings (which were done before anybody took a snap)

The dude passed for almost 4k yards last year at WF. He did not have a first round TE.

He moves the ball around and hits open and deep receivers. You cannot find a news service or outlet who now is not including ND as a playoff contender.

Maybe all of us are the experts here, but no QB on our current roster passed for 4k yards and if MF didn’t take a QB this year and TB goes down again we would all say “should have taken Hartman”.

MF did exactly what he needed for ND, not a single individual. This was the best move and the best QB in the portal

23 is going to be epic.

The dude passed for almost 4k yards last year at WF. He did not have a first round TE.

He moves the ball around and hits open and deep receivers. You cannot find a news service or outlet who now is not including ND as a playoff contender.

Maybe all of us are the experts here, but no QB on our current roster passed for 4k yards and if MF didn’t take a QB this year and TB goes down again we would all say “should have taken Hartman”.

MF did exactly what he needed for ND, not a single individual. This was the best move and the best QB in the portal

23 is going to be epic.
Ummm.. pre preseaso Ranking had us 12th so not a title contender.

A lot of qbs have put up stats in gimmicky offenses that werent really that good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT