ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and LSU...the difference between us and them.

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
I know this will stir the Hornets nest but I'm betting a lot of people are watching this game.

I want to point something out very glaring and very telling.

We don't play offense like this and honestly never have under Brian Kelly.

Maybe a brief stint with Kizer and Fuller on offense but still not quite like these two.

These two teams are pretty good. The Texas QB is fun to watch. Tough runner like a fullback. Like Tebow but can throw a bit better.

LSU now has a throwing QB. Something they've desperately needed for years. The defense and running backs have been solid but no QB.

These teams are supposed to be on the rung below the elites.

I echo again...we play offense nothing like these teams.

Big plays, explosive plays, exciting offensive playing.

We play very methodically but in a very scared methodical manner. We inch our way down the field.

We don't have a receiver like anything on the field tonight. Don't have a QB comparable to either team.

And most importantly....we play slow collectively with no urgency or energy.

That's just how far away we are from the better teams in college football.

It pisses me off TBH that we can't either with gameplan or recruiting or both at
NOTRE DAME mind you.....play offense like either team on display.

Injuries and poor skill position recruiting will do that to you.

The major difference of skill position talent on both offense AND defense is stark as **** in comparison to both teams, but especially when compared to LSU.

And as much as I loved what Ian Book was able to do in his first 6 games last year, the difference between himself and sam ehlinger is pretty stark as well. But ehlinger is one of the best QBs in the country and has a full slate of really talented playmakers healthy.

Last edited:
I know this will stir the Hornets nest but I'm betting a lot of people are watching this game.

Maybe a brief stint with Kizer and Fuller on offense but still not quite like these two.

These two teams are pretty good. The Texas QB is fun to watch. Tough runner like a fullback. Like Tebow but can throw a bit better.

LSU now has a throwing QB. Something they've desperately needed for years. The defense and running backs have been solid but no QB.

We play very methodically but in a very scared methodical manner. We inch our way down the field.

We don't have a receiver like anything on the field tonight. Don't have a QB comparable to either team.

It pisses me off TBH that we can't either with gameplan or recruiting or both at
So basically Notre Dame sucks and last season’s 12-1 means absolutely nothing.

So basically Notre Dame sucks and last season’s 12-1 means absolutely nothing.
Is that what I said?

Quit twisting shit upside down because a true point of fact pisses you off.

If you're watching this game answer the question...

Do we play offense anything like these two teams playing tonight?

Just answer that.

I don't need excuses please. I don't need what we did last year.

Do you ever see us playing offense like either of these schools tonight?

Yes or no?

Reactions: rgc7

I’m very impressed by coach O’s hire and offensive philosophy change but this is the first time in the last decade that LSU actually has an explosive offense. They were the definition of “3 yds and a cloud of dust”. Are you serious about Texas? Did you not hear that they had their first big play in 2 years? They are a very methodical team. They had a 20 play drive tonight. They have been more explosive tonight but let’s not try to say both these teams have a history of explosive offenses like Oklahoma.

Reactions: SeanPol355

When the dust settles at the end of the season, both these teams will be ranked below us. Texas will easily win quite a few more games since they play in a cup cake conference and the only highly ranked team they play will be OU who will demolish them. LSU meanwhile will struggle in their division of the SEC. By seasons end we could beat either.

By seasons end we could beat either.

Texas i'll grant you would be a good game.

But this LSU team is legit and many systems i've seen preseason had them well ahead of ND this year. Their incoming class is also legit as well in 2020 and Ed O is building a 3 headed monster in the SEC with alabama and georgia.

Reactions: rgc7 and Alfarouq1
I’m very impressed by coach O’s hire and offensive philosophy change but this is the first time in the last decade that LSU actually has an explosive offense. They were the definition of “3 yds and a cloud of dust”. Are you serious about Texas? Did you not hear that they had their first big play in 2 years? They are a very methodical team. They had a 20 play drive tonight. They have been more explosive tonight but let’s not try to say both these teams have a history of explosive offenses like Oklahoma.
I didn't suggest Oklahoma.

I clearly pointed out LSU in dire need of a real QB for years.

Texas....when you've a fullback playing QB that can also throw there is nothing methodical about them.

They don't always need 10 plus plays to score.

And they certainly don't play offense like we do.

88ND,

You can only throw long passes if your QB has time.

And only the OLine can provide that time.

Do we catch and run like that?

Nope.

Not even close.

Now is it material or coaching?

Either way it's wrong.

See this is the gigantic point of it all.

Do you really think that there ISNT a different set of coaches that couldn't get a little more excitement and evergy out of our offense?

Thet don't have to be Saban Dabo and Meyer for that to happen.

I didn't suggest Oklahoma.

I clearly pointed out LSU in dire need of a real QB for years.

Texas....when you've a fullback playing QB that can also throw there is nothing methodical about them.

They don't always need 10 plus plays to score.

And they certainly don't play offense like we do.
We will see how Texas does this year but last year ND #39 in yards per play and Texas ranked #74....and they play in the Big 12 where defense is optional, so yes they are VERY methodical, at least they were last year with the same QB.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
88ND,

You can only throw long passes if your QB has time.

And only the OLine can provide that time.
You mean like that LSU score with two blitzers in his face giving him no time hitting a receiver in stride that goes the distance.

Think about that statement.....

We do nothing to overcome that...

Two blitzers in Book's face...disaster.

Do we hit crossing routes that go the distance even with time.

We do none of the above.

Sssooo...why?

If these are a Brian Kelly players and lack ability then what.

If they're capable but he's not coaching them proper...then what

It's his product. He's nothing but a manager of the entire machine.

The point here is this...

We don't play offense anything close to either of these teams.

Not

Even

Close

We will see how Texas does this year but last year ND #39 in yards per play and Texas ranked #74....and they play in the Big 12 where defense is optional, so yes they are VERY methodical, at least they were last year with the same QB.
Texas brought in the #3 class in the country last year. That kind of talent infusion will spark your offense real quick. They are also now in year 3 under tom herman.

Holy shit...

We were amazing in 1989 too.

WTF.

I'm talking about ta ta ta day brotha.

:cool:

Holy shit...

We were amazing in 1989 too.

WTF.

I'm talking about ta ta ta day brotha.

:cool:
Yes they look very explosive tonight versus a talented defense, no doubt. But that is a very small sample size. We will see how they do this year, too early to tell. I was just saying last year Texas had the same QB and was very methodical. For all of your complaints about the ND offense, we ranked #39 in yards per play in 2018 and #22 in 2017. Those are facts. I don’t know how we will be this year, way too early but I’m just saying BK and Chip Long has had a pretty good track record the last 2 seasons, better than Texas and LSU.

Texas brought in the #3 class in the country last year. That kind of talent infusion will spark your offense real quick. They are also now in year 3 under tom herman.
Yes, Herman has brought in top 5 classes the last 2 seasons but look at how many elite prospects are from the South? How many are from Texas? He can drive to recruit these guys. These guys can stay at home to play and not have to be challenged in the classroom. Texas, UGA, Clemson, Bama, LSU all are located where the majority of the elite recruits are from. It’s not rocket science to see why those teams are landing the top classes, it’s basic geography.

Yes they look very explosive tonight versus a talented defense, no doubt. But that is a very small sample size. We will see how they do this year, too early to tell. I was just saying last year Texas had the same QB and was very methodical. For all of your complaints about the ND offense, we ranked #39 in yards per play in 2018 and #22 in 2017. Those are facts. I don’t know how we will be this year, way too early but I’m just saying BK and Chip Long has had a pretty good track record the last 2 seasons, better than Texas and LSU.
Look I don't care the big picture on just this point.

We play offense like this against nobody ever.

Not even MAC schools. Many here thought we'd trounce Louisville by 50.

I said no effing way. We just don't play offense explosive enough.

This is a huge issue.

When we get in a big bowl game against a tough team we've absolutely zero explosion in our offense. No big plays.

We had one big play player last year in Dexter but you've got to get huge gains on the perimeter to open the damn field up.

We are light years away from playing offense like on display tonight.

We might finish with a better record than both teams tonight (it's a long season)but we are eons away from these two offensively.

Yes, Herman has brought in top 5 classes the last 2 seasons but look at how many elite prospects are from the South? How many are from Texas? He can drive to recruit these guys. These guys can stay at home to play and not have to be challenged in the classroom. Texas, UGA, Clemson, Bama, LSU all are located where the majority of the elite recruits are from. It’s not rocket science to see why those teams are landing the top classes, it’s basic geography.

Both Ed Orgeron and Tom Herman both relative new hires at Texas and LSU respectively have recruited much better than the previous coaching staffs/ regimes that they took over.

It's simpleton thinking to keep dismissing / excusing everything with "that's the south that's just how it is"

Both of these programs on the raise from hiring coaches that can just flat out recruit their assess off. And tom herman has a track record thus far that shows he can coach too.

Ohio State was doing just fine in the midwest recruiting the most talented team in the country they were the #1 team in talent composite ranking last year.

Michigan has recruited better than Notre Dame in both the Hoke and Harbaugh era.

Oklahoma is considered the midwest, not the south, and they are pulling in top 10 classes under Lincoln Riley now.

Oregon Ducks just pulled in a top 5 class last year.

You have to stop making excuses for the mediocrity at notre dame man.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
Here we go.

Excuses again.

God damn I hate that.

BK can't recruit now because he's not in the south.
Or the weather sucks. The girls aren't as pretty. Different aisle.

It never ends.

Those chock full of excuses will never get better.

BK has been here a decade and can you honestly say he's ever had a quick strike explosive offense collectively?

Even once in a decade. Just once.

Look at both of our 12-1 years.

We eked our way to that record offensively and rode the defense both occasions.

Then when the moment hit we desperately needed big plays in those huge post season games....it was more of the previous 12 weeks.

Both Ed Orgeron and Tom Herman both relative new hires at Texas and LSU respectively have recruited much better than the previous coaching staffs/ regimes that they took over.

It's simpleton thinking to keep dismissing / excusing everything with "that's the south that's just how it is"

Both of these programs on the raise from hiring coaches that can just flat out recruit their assess off. And tom herman has a track record thus far that shows he can coach too.

Ohio State was doing just fine in the midwest recruiting the most talented team in the country they were the #1 team in talent composite ranking last year.

23 and 4 in last 27. Went to playoffs last year. Beat LSU in bowl gm in 2017. Id say we're on the rise. Doesnt look like mediocrity to me. About to be 24 and 4. Then lets see where we are at against Ga n Va back to back.

Here we go.

Excuses again.

God damn I hate that.

BK can't recruit now because he's not in the south.
Or the weather sucks. The girls aren't as pretty. Different aisle.

It never ends.

Those chock full of excuses will never get better.

BK has been here a decade and can you honestly say he's ever had a quick strike explosive offense collectively?

Even once in a decade. Just once.

Look at both of our 12-1 years.

We eked our way to that record offensively and rode the defense both occasions.

Then when the moment hit we desperately needed big plays in those huge post season games....it was more of the previous 12 weeks.

ND had a top 10 offense in 2015 with Deshone Kizer/Will Fuller/EQ St Brown/CJ Prosise. That offense was very explosive. Also the 2017 team in the first 8 games of the season was dominating teams with their explosive rushing attack. Then they kind of just fell off.

I think the issues go beyond just quick strike offenses and are more generally not having a good enough offense and defense at the same time to compete with elite football programs.

Look I don't care the big picture on just this point.

We play offense like this against nobody ever.

Not even MAC schools. Many here thought we'd trounce Louisville by 50.

I said no effing way. We just don't play offense explosive enough.

This is a huge issue.

When we get in a big bowl game against a tough team we've absolutely zero explosion in our offense. No big plays.

We had one big play player last year in Dexter but you've got to get huge gains on the perimeter to open the damn field up.

We are light years away from playing offense like on display tonight.

We might finish with a better record than both teams tonight (it's a long season)but we are eons away from these two offensively.
I do agree with you that we need to be more explosive on the perimeter. The coaches know that too and have been working hard with Book to get out of his comfort zone and threaten downfield more. We just need more of a gunslinger at QB and Book is not the guy, hopefully Phil J is. Even with the limited downfield threats, we still averaged more yards per play than Texas or LSU in recent years. Again, who knows what will happen this year, only time will tell. You just want to believe BK sucks and ignore facts, again which are that we averaged more yds per play than either LSU or Texas. You have every right to keep believing what you want, I’m just giving you facts, take it or leave it.

Coach O is quite a character
I was working in Donaldson LA for a month prior to the season starting and i was listening to his interviews with the local radio crew and he has "it" though a bit hard to understand lol
I think he's a better fit there than at SC.

ND had a top 10 offense in 2015 with Deshone Kizer/Will Fuller/EQ St Brown/CJ Prosise. That offense was very explosive. Also the 2017 team in the first 8 games of the season was dominating teams with their explosive rushing attack. Then they kind of just fell off.

I think the issues go beyond just quick strike offenses and are more generally not having a good enough offense and defense at the same time to compete with elite football programs.
This is 100% true. BK just has never had the 2015 offense to go with the 2012 or 2018 defense. That is on him for hiring BVG. That 2015 team was loaded with high level talent but he screwed it up with BVG.

Michigan has recruited better than Notre Dame in both the Hoke and Harbaugh era.

Oklahoma is considered the midwest, not the south, and they are pulling in top 10 classes under Lincoln Riley now.

It’s not an excuse, it is a fact. LSU has been pulling in top 10 classes for a decade. Talent is never the issue, it was coaching, not being more creative on offense, never finding even a competent QB. Ohio St is the only northern team that has consistently pulled in top classes. Why? One reason is that Ohio is a great recruiting base. Also, Meyer is a legendary coach and won in the SEC so he knows what kind of kids he needs, so he has recruited the South well. As for Oregon, yes they pulled in a great class last year, kudos. Tell me, where are the majority of the top talent from? California, in their region, also at a time when USC is down. Where is their class ranked this year? You know that to build quality depth you need 3-4 consecutive top 10 classes. So you’ve basically proven my point, of all the northern teams, only OSU has been able to recruit to the level of the southern teams. Also, if it isn’t that hard to recruit in the North, tell me why 18 of the last 20 champs have been from schools below the mason dixon line? Is it just a 20 year coincidence?

23 and 4 in last 27. Went to playoffs last year. Beat LSU in bowl gm in 2017. Id say we're on the rise. Doesnt look like mediocrity to me. About to be 24 and 4. Then lets see where we are at against Ga n Va back to back.
And we've what to show for that 24 and 4 record?

I already mentioned the Kizer and Fuller year as the closest we've been to explosive.

I do agree with you that we need to be more explosive on the perimeter. The coaches know that too and have been working hard with Book to get out of his comfort zone and threaten downfield more. We just need more of a gunslinger at QB and Book is not the guy, hopefully Phil J is. Even with the limited downfield threats, we still averaged more yards per play than Texas or LSU in recent years. Again, who knows what will happen this year, only time will tell. You just want to believe BK sucks and ignore facts, again which are that we averaged more yds per play than either LSU or Texas. You have every right to keep believing what you want, I’m just giving you facts, take it or leave it.
I speak reality only.

You can dissect any stat and situation to sway it for your narrative.

How about the eye test facts.

How many deep passes did we complete Monday?

How many did we even attempt? Zero.

Not one deep pass.

The offense is predictable and stale.

You don't gave to have sprinter speed to get big gains.

It helps but you can make plays that will net big gains without elite speed.

Crossing routes hit in stride that reel off big gains or scores.

We just don't do that.

Monday was the first time in ages we actually hit some crossing routes.

The couple times we did that it was like a surprise to the damn receiver we actually ran that play.

We've 11 more to go but this offense has no energy and explosion to it again.

Oh, you want to use total team talent. Ok, of the top 10 teams in total team talent, how many are from the South versus the North? 8 of 10 are for the south. How can you not understand what is so obvious? Most of the elite prospects are from the south and they don’t leave that region to go to school in the North. It is as simple as that, period. Just like you said Dabo is an outlier of a coach, dominating with “only” the #9 ranked team talent. Well, guess what, OSU is the outlier of a northern team that recruits exceptionally well.

How much college football do you watch? Do you watch the Big 10 and then watch the SEC? Notice a difference in speed and athleticism? It really isn’t that hard to comprehend.

@88ND ND didn’t do anything from 1998-2011 and have two undefeated regular seasons this decade. I cannot believe you torture yourself by watching a team you clearly despise. Texas defense was AWFUL tonight. They left their corners on an island and couldn’t get it done. Notre Dame would beat LSU and Texas on a neutral field and would at least beat Texas in Austin. I cannot believe someone could be mad at the last two years and the promise of the program. It’s truly laughable!!

And we've what to show for that 24 and 4 record?

I already mentioned the Kizer and Fuller year as the closest we've been to explosive.
As much as about anyone outside Clemson n Bama. Maybe a couple others. So pretty much top 6 team over that span of games

I speak reality only.

You can dissect any stat and situation to sway it for your narrative.

How about the eye test facts.

How many deep passes did we complete Monday?

How many did we even attempt? Zero.

Not one deep pass.

The offense is predictable and stale.

You don't gave to have sprinter speed to get big gains.

It helps but you can make plays that will net big gains without elite speed.

Crossing routes hit in stride that reel off big gains or scores.

We just don't do that.

Monday was the first time in ages we actually hit some crossing routes.

The couple times we did that it was like a surprise to the damn receiver we actually ran that play.

We've 11 more to go but this offense has no energy and explosion to it again.
We don’t have an explosive, deep passing game. There’s no doubt about it, we need to improve, more specifically Book needs to improve. Again, you seem to think Chip Long and BK just refuse to throw deep but that’s not the case. We run deep routes, Book just refuses to throw it on a consistent basis and it is a real concern that he needs to fix ASAP. We also need more big play WRs, no doubt about it. We’ve had bad luck in that we were supposed to have 3 big play WRs this season....Stepherson (dismissed), McKinley (top 100 recruit, never panned out), and Austin (suspended). I’m just saying that even though we’ve lacked that big play ability in the passing game, we’ve still managed to have a good offense, better than LSU and Texas.

@88ND pro football focus rated ND number four... they base all of their rankings off of statistics only. You just sent me the 2019 recruiting rankings, which proves absolutely nothing.

@Golson5 I appreciate your response. The original question was about eight of the top ten teams from a talent standpoint being in the south. Which I disagreed with. ND would beat Florida, Texas, AM and Auburn. The rest of the games would be a toss up, outside of Clemson and Bama. (Just my opinion, I know most of you hate Notre Dame lol)

@Kcndmis97 see above, I mixed up you and 88 which isn’t surprising as both of you don’t know anything about college football.

@88ND ND didn’t do anything from 1998-2011 and have two undefeated regular seasons this decade. I cannot believe you torture yourself by watching a team you clearly despise. Texas defense was AWFUL tonight. They left their corners on an island and couldn’t get it done. Notre Dame would beat LSU and Texas on a neutral field and would at least beat Texas in Austin. I cannot believe someone could be mad at the last two years and the promise of the program. It’s truly laughable!!
Good lord.

More horse shit.

They don't play just regular seasons at ND. It's big boy football.
Unless of course you don't count big post season games where BK gets his ass kicked.

The only people that have to stress "Regular " seasons are the ones that have to excuse something. Who the **** talks like that. People full of excuses.

We'd beat both Texas and LSU?
That's rich.

Texas had 400 passing yards against LSU.

We'd have 180 yards passing and 75 on the ground.

Our offense is in quicksand.

Now check this out...notice when you do a generalized post I don't reply. Matter if fact I don't even read it. You replied here directly so I've obliged.

See I don't care your love of mediocre performances and don't give it a second thought.

It's amazing your celebration of almost but almost is just some people's 'Regular season " titles.

You on the other hand just can't get enough of me. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT