ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, why should BK not be fired?

Coach Kelly let the team down big time with not practicing special teams--and that 12 man on the field penalty after the defense made a big stop with the lead.

I am all for rooting for this team to win as they have heart and work hard but I am done with Coach Kelly and I have been done with him since the North Carolina State game.
I am hoping Jack fires him this week---like tomorrow. There is probably not much hope for that but you never know. I can't root for the Irish to lose but this is so embarrassing losing to Navy----We are now a laughingstock. The players don't deserve this.
Come on Jack---do the right thing and fire Kelly--we now know it wasn't just BVG's fault.

*** I am going to continue to be positive about this team and many of the fine young players like St. Brown and Julian Love. But I will be praying for a new coach. What happened to Brian Kelly? He was never this bad... Not great... but not horrible..

Bodi I have to agree with you. The players who work so hard on the field and in the classroom deserve better than this. The fans who cheer and support the players deserve better than this. The only problem is I don't know who would want to coach at ND these days.

Bodi I have to agree with you. The players who work so hard on the field and in the classroom deserve better than this. The fans who cheer and support the players deserve better than this. The only problem is I don't know who would want to coach at ND these days.

Maybe that PJ Fleck Western Michigan coach? He has them ranked and undefeated and blowing teams out. He might end up another Urban Meyer or he might be another Brian Kelly who could win a lot of games for the Irish until this year. I just think Kelly won't bounce back. He looks terrible--a lot more weight around the waist and a face that never smiles--he may be burnt out after 7 years at Notre Dame. I think he did a pretty good job up to this year. But a year like this one is unforgiveable with the easy schedule and all the talent the Irish have. He is just burnt out. IMO.

Was out much of the game.
So, did we stop Navy on a 3rd down
and had a 12 man on the field penalty to give Navy a 1st down?

Can anyone fill me in.
Not sure I'm going to watch it as I'm too pissed off.

Maybe that PJ Fleck Western Michigan coach? He has them ranked and undefeated and blowing teams out. He might end up another Urban Meyer or he might be another Brian Kelly who could win a lot of games for the Irish until this year. I just think Kelly won't bounce back. He looks terrible--a lot more weight around the waist and a face that never smiles--he may be burnt out after 7 years at Notre Dame. I think he did a pretty good job up to this year. But a year like this one is unforgiveable with the easy schedule and all the talent the Irish have. He is just burnt out. IMO.[/QUOTE

Maybe he will take a few years away from the game after the season. If not for himself, do it for the sake of the program. It's bad enough now, another year of the same will take the program to lower depths than the end of the losingham days imo.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I rarely ever post on here. I saw my first ND game in 1949 & I have been hooked ever since. In all that time I have seen the ups & downs of ND football but usually it was because our recruits weren't as good as the other guys but I believe this is different. If you believe these recruiting services Kelly is a very good recruiter & his talent level in the last 7 years is equal too or ahead every D1 school in the country except perhaps 4 or 5. Also rarely does ND get blown out under Kelly but they continuously find ways to lose. Except for 2012 it has been a procession of 3,4 or 5 loss seasons & now at least a 6 loss season. I could spend an hour on the litany of close losses from the Mich. St fake field goal to the Navy 12 men on the field but the bottom line is they lose close games. I think the problem is Kelly is afraid to lose & when he gets in close games down to the wire he goes ultra conservative & it mostly backfires. One time it didn't was last week against my Miami , with 3 RB's 225 lbs or better & an O ' line of 310 lbs a man on 4th & a foot he chose a wide receiver screen that back fired fortunately they pulled that game out anyway. But today after Navy had controlled the ball all day not to go for a first down or TD on 4th down with 7 minutes to go but kick a FG was criminal. I never like to see anybody fired from anything & I realize ND just finished paying off Charlie Weiss but has ND reached the point that 3 to 5 or more losses year in & year out is acceptable because accept for 2012 that is what we have. I regrettably say Kelly has to go

The powers that be accept mediocrity

It's all about money. Like it, or not, ND is still getting RICH on the back of a passionate fan base that stick by their team. It's easy for the administration to move slowly on moves that should be and need to be made because their pockets are as deep and well lined as ever.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
The powers that be accept mediocrity

This season is not mediocrity it is a complete disaster----- ND may lose the rest of their games or maybe win one against Army but Army is better than Navy.
I have read where many knowledgeable posters on another site said that the only way Kelly was going to get fired was if this season was a disaster. I don't know if I am just naïve about the way ND handles football coaches but a 8 or 9 loss season should get a coach fired. Weis just got a pass because he didn't have the talent. Kelly has the talent so I think there is a chance he gets fired this year. I like the guy and think he did a good job for modern ND football but how can he survive this?

Reactions: Kelso86
It's all about money. Like it, or not, ND is still getting RICH on the back of a passionate fan base that stick by their team. It's easy for the administration to move slowly on moves that should be and need to be made because their pockets are as deep and well lined as ever.

Best and most accurate post I have read all day!

Maybe that PJ Fleck Western Michigan coach? He has them ranked and undefeated and blowing teams out. He might end up another Urban Meyer or he might be another Brian Kelly who could win a lot of games for the Irish until this year. I just think Kelly won't bounce back. He looks terrible--a lot more weight around the waist and a face that never smiles--he may be burnt out after 7 years at Notre Dame. I think he did a pretty good job up to this year. But a year like this one is unforgiveable with the easy schedule and all the talent the Irish have. He is just burnt out. IMO.
k9
Every year, we lost games due to Kelly. We spot good teams 14 pts in the first quarter. Just look at last year. Going for 2 early in the Clemson game, Stanford ending....
His play calling blows my mind. Empty backfield on the half yard line, not starting your running QB in a hurricane so that your starter can throw the ball 50 times, which he hasn't been the same since that game, kicking a fricken FG when you should go for it, going for it when you should kick a FG (tulsa), keeping Zaire in too long vs Texas, having NFL lineman and refusing to utilize them in the run game, keeping coaches around when the armchair QB can teAN you they stink, ,,,

I could go on and on.

Great post Sir Lawrence. Kelly has shown himself to be a poor gameday coach, at least at this level, from day one. He has not got better as he is what he is. I guess $$$ must be the deciding factor as IIO says otherwise he should be gone. A 13th ranked LSU was not timid about bouncing Les Miles but ND holds to its tradition of not firing coaches mid season. It would sure send a message to recruits that ND is about winning

Reactions: NIN Irish
I don't have the time but I believe that probably 80% of ND's losses in the Kelly era are by a TD or les. To me it is not the recruiting or the players it is about the game day coaching. Somebody take the time to do the research & prove me wrong & the guy who mentioned Tulsa is the best example of inept game day coaching in his 7 years

Reactions: Bodizephax
I missed this game as I went to the gym. I also went on the massage chair after just to waste a little more time. Checking these posts, I think I made the right choice. Go Irish, hire a better coach Jack.

Reactions: HRC08 and Java65
Money. It will cost the university more than 30 mil to pay out Kelly and his staff and hire new staff.

Reactions: ndhell

Western Michigan is not ND

If you buy milk and take it home to find out it has gone bad you dont drink it anyway just because you paid for it. ND will waste a season and god knows how many recruits if they dont fire Kelly. Spit that bad milk out.

Reactions: HRC08

Urban Meyer started coaching in the MAC. So did many other great coaches. The cradle of coaches is at the MAC--Miami ohio.
TE="deadirishpoet, post: 1797422, member: 1412"]
Western Michigan is not ND[/QUOTE]
CQhMaqEWsAE8qHb.jpg

k9
Every year, we lost games due to Kelly. We spot good teams 14 pts in the first quarter. Just look at last year. Going for 2 early in the Clemson game, Stanford ending....
His play calling blows my mind. Empty backfield on the half yard line, not starting your running QB in a hurricane so that your starter can throw the ball 50 times, which he hasn't been the same since that game, kicking a fricken FG when you should go for it, going for it when you should kick a FG (tulsa), keeping Zaire in too long vs Texas, having NFL lineman and refusing to utilize them in the run game, keeping coaches around when the armchair QB can teAN you they stink, ,,,

I could go on and on.

You are spot on - the question is how can and did Jack White not see these same things coming into this season ? How in the hell did Jack White give BK a 6 extension - Jack White has killed ND football.

Jack White will not man up and make a change because he screwed up by giving BK that extension.

Jack White needs to be let go. He has killed ND football.

ND is not hurting for money
It's costing them more in prestige to keep him
True but $30 mil is $30 mil and as long as they keep selling tickets, hats and NBC ratings are good they aren't going to spend a nickle more than they have to.

Urban Meyer started coaching in the MAC. So did many other great coaches. The cradle of coaches is at the MAC--Miami ohio.
TE="deadirishpoet, post: 1797422, member: 1412"]
CQhMaqEWsAE8qHb.jpg
[/QUOTE]
everybody knows some great coaches passed through the MAC....but its been a decade since Kelly coached in the MAC....We are still debating what his signature win is...When you consider the teams Notre Dame has played the past eight years...we simply have little to show for it except an undefeated regular season. That was great but 1/7th of his ND resume'.

Last edited:
the 2012 opponent schedule was almost as weak as the 2016 schedule.
ND could easily have lost 4 games; games won or lost on 1 play or miscue or 1 poor decision by the opposing coach.

If you go back and check the records of that schedule and go through the 4th quarter play by play, ND was very fortuitous! The opposing coaches failed to let Kelly shoot himself in the foot and instead did it to themselves.

Until Alabama. And then....

Last edited:
the 2012 opponent schedule was almost as weak as the 2016 schedule.
ND could easily have lost 4 games; games won or oost on 1 play or miscue or 1 poor decision by the opposing coach.

If you go back and check the records of that schedule and go through the 4th quarter play by play, ND was very fortuitous! The opposing coaches failed to let Kelly shoot himself in the foot and instead did it to themselves.

Until Alabama. And then....
I'm going to give Kelly as much credit as the sunshine pumpers for that season...and undefeated regular season speaks for itself. Yes, reality came home to roost in the Natty game....but Kelly earned all the credit he got. The question is....is 1/7th of his resume' enough?

Last edited:
I remember when Boise State started knocking out the big boys...Boise State. It got to the point that they were playing in some mighty big bowl games consistently...and winning. That is coaching, pure and simple. Their players would have been unheard of had they played anywhere else. But proper leadership, guidance and training brought out their very best consistently. It mattered not who the opponent was. It was about coaching, period.

last 27 games: 14-13
a weak schedule
and
in the mist of this run he got a 6 year extension!

thank Jack! ND should make you pay the salary!

I'm going to give Kelly as much credit as the sunshine pumpers for that season...and undefeated regular season speaks for itself. Yes, reality came home to roost in the Natty game....but Kelly earned all the credit he got. The question is....is 1/7th of his resume' enough?
Well said. Kelly should get as much credit for '12 as he does blame for this season. As you say is one 1 season out of 7 reason enough to keep him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT