ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, why should BK not be fired?

I remember when Boise State started knocking out the big boys...Boise State. It got to the point that they were playing in some mighty big bowl games consistently...and winning. That is coaching, pure and simple. Their players would have been unheard of had they played anywhere else. But proper leadership, guidance and training brought out their very best consistently. It mattered not who the opponent was. It was about coaching, period.

The rise of Boise St. to prominence took place under Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins. Based upon their success at Boise St., both were hired by bigger programs, Koetter at Arizona St., and Hawkins at Colorado. Both failed miserably in those positions.

The rise of Boise St. to prominence took place under Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins. Based upon their success at Boise St., both were hired by bigger programs, Koetter at Arizona St., and Hawkins at Colorado. Both failed miserably in those positions.
Chris Peterson won four bowl games while coaching Boise State, including two Fiesta bowls in January. Actually, I stand corrected, he won 3, and resigned before the bowl game (Maaco) his last year. He isn't failing miserably right now.

You're right, they're better! You can watch them New Year's Day. It's called a great, young Head Coach, which ND doesn't have.

Bodi this response is to you as well ....just a little lazy.

HH,

They very well can play on New Years, but the competition they have played will not prepare them for a top-10 team

Remember when coach Kelly played Virginia Tech and University of Florida in a major bowl prior to Notre Dame?
How did they turn out?
The University of Western Michigan's head coach could very well be the next coach Saban butt the resume is too vague

Does Notre Dame really want to take a chance now with the history of the past four hires?

ND does need to find it's own new 'superstar'

No established SS is taking this job! Jack would have sent Kelly's ass packing by now if thatvwere the case!

There is risk going for the new SS find; no doubt, but risk/reward or stay 'blah'

Chris Peterson won four bowl games while coaching Boise State, including two Fiesta bowls in January. Actually, I stand corrected, he won 3, and resigned before the bowl game (Maaco) his last year. He isn't failing miserably right now.

Koetter and Hawkins brought Boise St. to prominence. They were already riding high when Petersen arrived on the scene.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

HH,

They very well can play on New Years, but the competition they have played will not prepare them for a top-10 team

Remember when coach Kelly played Virginia Tech and University of Florida in a major bowl prior to Notre Dame?
How did they turn out?
The University of Western Michigan's head coach could very well be the next coach Saban butt the resume is too vague

Does Notre Dame really want to take a chance now with the history of the past four hires?
I tend to agree....I would like to think PJ Fleck or that ilk is ready...but we just don't know. If he's the last man standing before Kelly moves on...then I'm all in, because regardless of who replaces Kelly, Kelly is done. I would much prefer a Chris Peterson who has demonstrated bowl wins and consistently getting 110% out of his players. That type of coach pays full attention to details in all three areas of the game, maximizing production with balance.

Koetter and Hawkins brought Boise St. to prominence. They were already riding high when Petersen arrived on the scene.
But Boise still was recruiting 2 and 3 star players.....and beating the likes of Oklahoma and TCU in bowls. If you are suggesting that a Chris Peterson is a lightweight or unproven....please just say so. Otherwise, you can't deny where he is as a head coach.

Reactions: Bodizephax

HH,

How did they turn out?

Sorry, no, no, no! This isn't about just playing on New Year's day. Have you watched his teams? They don't play an elaborate offense (like Kelly did) nothing out of the ordinary. Just sound, fundamental football. Everyone actually knew where to line up. No special team mistakes, no yelling and screaming on the side lines. Just a well prepared team week-in and week-out with a very energy charged, well prepared coach. A younger Holtz with Ara's discipline. Oh, and the resume?, who the hell of a "top" line HC you going to get to come here? Regardless of money, as if ND is the only team that can pay. This is the kind of guy you need, young, bold and an enthusiastic leader. Someone players' will want to follow and play for.

But Boise still was recruiting 2 and 3 star players.....and beating the likes of Oklahoma and TCU in bowls. If you are suggesting that a Chris Peterson is a lightweight or unproven....please just say so. Otherwise, you can't deny where he is as a head coach.

Yes, Petersen is a good coach. Koetter and Hawkins, not so much. My point, which should be crystal clear, is that going from Boise St. (or Western Michigan) to a big time program, is a huge step. Just because one succeeds at a Boise St. or a Western Michigan, does not mean that one will succeed at a big time school.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Yes, Petersen is a good coach. Koetter and Hawkins, not so much. My point, which should be crystal clear, is that going from Boise St. (or Western Michigan) to a big time program, is a huge step. Just because one succeeds at a Boise St. or a Western Michigan, does not mean that one will succeed at a big time school.
I totally agree with you ...which explains Brian Kelly. That chapter is coming to a close, and the question is now turning to who and when the replacement turns out to be.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Agree brother

Sorry, no, no, no! This isn't about just playing on New Year's day. Have you watched his teams? They don't play an elaborate offense (like Kelly did) nothing out of the ordinary. Just sound, fundamental football. Everyone actually knew where to line up. No special team mistakes, no yelling and screaming on the side lines. Just a well prepared team week-in and week-out with a very energy charged, well prepared coach. A younger Holtz with Ara's discipline. Oh, and the resume?, who the hell of a "top" line HC you going to get to come here? Regardless of money, as if ND is the only team that can pay. This is the kind of guy you need, young, bold and an enthusiastic leader. Someone players' will want to follow and play for.
Well I have to honest with you no I haven't seen any WMU games. I'm just trying not to fall into the hope and change new guy again. So eone with little experience at D 1 level besides the pressures of what Being ND brings.

You have me curious and will try to find some past games from this season

Well I have to honest with you no I haven't seen any WMU games. I'm just trying not to fall into the hope and change new guy again. So eone with little experience at D 1 level besides the pressures of what Being ND brings.

You have me curious and will try to find some past games from this season

Western Michigan is division one and have beat power five teams. But they don't play as tough a schedule as ND I admit but neither did prepac10 UTAH when Urban Meyer coached there right before Florida hired him .

Last edited:
Western Michigan is division one and have beat power five teams. But they don't play as tough a schedule as ND I admit but neither did prepac10 UTAH when Urban Meyer coached there right before Florida hired him .
I understand Western Michigan is a division 1 School, but they are not even the middle of the road Division 1 School such as Utah pre-pac 10.

Now if he was coaching a Western Michigan team that was doing things Boise State did year-in year-out under Coach Petersen than I believe he would be more appealing and a better sale.

His sample size might just be a bit too small for a program like Notre Dame but who knows right time right place right coach it won't be the first time in football history

I totally agree with you ...which explains Brian Kelly. That chapter is coming to a close, and the question is now turning to who and when the replacement turns out to be.

I'm am not at all sure it is coming to a close. In fact, I would estimate that there is around a 98% chance that Kelly will be back next year.

Reactions: Classic Irish
UOTE="deadirishpoet, post: 1798904, member: 1412"]I understand Western Michigan is a division 1 School, but they are not even the middle of the road Division 1 School such as Utah pre-pac 10.

Now if he was coaching a Western Michigan team that was doing things Boise State did year-in year-out under Coach Petersen than I believe he would be more appealing and a better sale.

His sample size might just be a bit too small for a program like Notre Dame but who knows right time right place right coach it won't be the first time in football history[/QUOTE]

If Western Michigan wins out they will play in a Bigsix game. It would be interesting to see how they play in that game. I am just looking at the different coaches who we could have a good chance to get (like Ken N at Navy). It doesn't seem like any good power five coaches want to coach at a place like ND.

Last edited:
UOTE="deadirishpoet, post: 1798904, member: 1412"]I understand Western Michigan is a division 1 School, but they are not even the middle of the road Division 1 School such as Utah pre-pac 10.

His sample size might just be a bit too small for a program like Notre Dame but who knows right time right place right coach it won't be the first time in football history

If Western Michigan wins out they will play in a Bigsix game. It would be interesting to see how they play in that game. I am just looking at the different coaches who we could have a good chance to get (like Ken N at Navy). It doesn't seem like any good power five coaches want to coach at a place like ND.[/QUOTE]

Agree brother.

I'm am not at all sure it is coming to a close. In fact, I would estimate that there is around a 98% chance that Kelly will be back next year.
I would think it's a 100℅ chance. An undefeated season bought alot of clout.

Now if the Irish do not win another game this season then something would need to be done you would think?

Last edited:
I would think it's a 100℅ chance. An undefeated season brought alot if clout.

Now if the Irish do not win another game this season then something would need to be done you would think?
I expect Kelly back next year as well...I said the Kelly chapter is coming to a close. Not here yet. However....Les Miles was let go four games in the season....obviously that was the second shoe to drop, not the first. I do believe the first shoe has dropped with Kelly by the time this season is over. He may take an NFL assistant job and surprise us all, who knows. But this year is a substantial debit to his account.

This. Not only is it virtually guaranteed that Kelly will be back next season, but there are no realistic potential candidates to take the position right now (and no, Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh, Shaw, Fleck, Miles, Leach, Petrino, Tressel, or Chip Kelly for one reason or another are not realistic).

This. Not only is it virtually guaranteed that Kelly will be back next season, but there are no realistic potential candidates to take the position right now (and no, Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh, Shaw, Fleck, Miles, Leach, Petrino, Tressel, or Chip Kelly for one reason or another are not realistic).
I think that is true, sadly enough.....however, should Notre Dame lose to Temple (Tulsa East) or get embarrassed by Georgia at home, or both.....that other shoe might just drop mid-season.

I think that is true, sadly enough.....however, should Notre Dame lose to Temple (Tulsa East) or get embarrassed by Georgia at home, or both.....that other shoe might just drop mid-season.

Not disputing that. I'm just saying it's very unlikely after this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT