ADVERTISEMENT

Rees named OC

NDAFArly

I've posted how many times?
May 25, 2016
tenor.gif

I hope that he works well with Lance Taylor and the running game. And, now that Lance is the Running Game coordinator, maybe he can light a fire into Quinn's backside and get some push in the oline.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I think Rees will be fine but I was hoping for some new blood to be injected into the program. Fingers crossed the CB coach spices things up
We also need a new TE coach. Absent moving Quinn back to an analyst role, I'd prefer they move Quinn to TE coach (he is a pretty decent recruiter) and hire a new OL coach. Probably won't happen but one can hope.

Was hoping for an outside OC hire that would generate some positive buzz. Promoting Rees might seem the easy choice, but I think it puts a bullseye squarely on Kelly’s back. Quinn and Rees better deliver or the ND fan base will rightly have a meltdown similar to the 4-8 season and BVG disaster. Disappointment aside, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how well Rees recruits, plans and calls the games, and makes in game adjustments. Hope like hell he turns out like The Lea promotion.

Not crazy about this as IMO ND shouldn't be your first OC job but I was pretty certain it was going to happen so I accepted it a few weeks ago.

Rees' "desire to continue to grow and learn" -- yikes, this is not first on my list if I'm hiring someone to a senior management position!

Kelly did not go the Coach O route -- we'll be seeing the same in 2020 on Offense.

I hope it works out and Rees is brilliant. If it doesn't: this is Kelly's swan song.

Was hoping for an outside OC hire that would generate some positive buzz. Promoting Rees might seem the easy choice, but I think it puts a bullseye squarely on Kelly’s back. Quinn and Rees better deliver or the ND fan base will rightly have a meltdown similar to the 4-8 season and BVG disaster. Disappointment aside, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how well Rees recruits, plans and calls the games, and makes in game adjustments. Hope like hell he turns out like The Lea promotion.
Well said and I agree! He got it right with Lea.

Reactions: napy2121
Disappointment aside, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how well Rees recruits, plans and calls the games, and makes in game adjustments. Hope like hell he turns out like The Lea promotion.

Ditto for me on that. We may be pleasantly surprised like we have been with Lea. Kelly knows this is a risk, he must have confidence Rees and Taylor can do the job. It's a major second guessing problem for him if they don't.

Ditto for me on that. We may be pleasantly surprised like we have been with Lea. Kelly knows this is a risk, he must have confidence Rees and Taylor can do the job. It's a major second guessing problem for him if they don't.
Yup same for me as well. I’d have preferred moorehead but I am willing to see the benefits of this in terms of in the current locker room, the fact that BK sees something in him, continuity, and recruiting. He’s taking a risk here and I think he knows it. TR is certainly a bright kid wish him all the best!

It could be a career decision

It's such simpleton thinking ALL of the reasons people give that don't like this move:
1. Inexperience
2. Too young
3. New ideas from outside the program
4. Mediocre talent (as a player)

#4 is kind of a joke but some people actually feel that way.

You don't think Brian Kelly who has hired dozens of coordinators over his career doesn't know Rees' age and Rees' experience? Obviously Rees has things going for him that are rare that indicate to Kelly that his talent/upside is greater than his inexperience and youth.

Also Rees comes from two previous stops before signing on at Notre Dame and he comes from a coaching family. This idea that he's going to be a total pushover and not have his own ideas of what good offense is is really silly to me.

It's such simpleton thinking ALL of the reasons people give that don't like this move:
1. Inexperience
2. Too young

You don't think Brian Kelly who has hired dozens of coordinators over his career doesn't know Rees' age and Rees' experience? Obviously Rees has things going for him that are rare that indicate to Kelly that his talent/upside is greater than his inexperience and youth.

Also Rees comes from two previous stops before signing on at Notre Dame and he comes from a coaching family. This idea that he's going to be a total pushover and not have his own ideas of what good offense is is really silly to me.
Anyone who thinks talent as a player has any correlation to coaching success simply isn't paying attention.

As to "new ideas from outside the program", Rees wasn't the OC, he was not the play caller. We might get new ideas from inside the program.

Rees' "desire to continue to grow and learn" -- yikes, this is not first on my list if I'm hiring someone to a senior management position!

Kelly did not go the Coach O route -- we'll be seeing the same in 2020 on Offense.

I hope it works out and Rees is brilliant. If it doesn't: this is Kelly's swan song.

This thread is perfectly placed in the forum, right above how Coach Ed O went outside the box to hire Brady and won a national championship.

Reactions: nemeth#5
ND just lost a 4-5 star quarterback because the best analyst this site has ever seen ( Driskell ) said wasn’t being remotely coached up by the new offensive coordinator, who of course was the quarterback coach.
Really! Out of dozens of talented men, This is the best Notre Dame can do?

1. Inexperience
2. Too young

Would Clemson, Bama,LSU, or any of the other top 11 schools hire him as their OC?

Well it is what it is and i did like the running game he was calling in th Bowl game

As someone who lives in Dallas, this reminds me a lot of the Kellen Moore situation here. And he just led the Cowboys to the number 1 offense in the NFL in year 1.
I was thinking the same thing... and the new coach thought enough of him to keep him on staff.

ND just lost a 4-5 star quarterback because the best analyst this site has ever seen ( Driskell ) said wasn’t being remotely coached up by the new offensive coordinator, who of course was the quarterback coach.
Really! Out of dozens of talented men, This is the best Notre Dame can do?
That was one person's opinion.

There is zero reason to expect or anticipate or equate the 4-8 season or BVG situation to the naming of Rees. He's a proven commodity, considered a rising star and clearly has had some interest from strong programs such as Oregon. I am guessing, like all of us, that BK (a) didn't find any obvious better options and b) felt keeping TR was better than losing him.

I think the Irish fan base should be proud to have one of their own players representing the great university, the program and the players. Sounds like he is very well liked by the players as well.

Would Clemson, Bama,LSU, or any of the other top 11 schools hire him as their OC?

Well it is what it is and i did like the running game he was calling in th Bowl game
My thoughts exactly would any top 25 program hire rees as an OC? Nobody

Quoting Kelly..."after an extensive national search" he decided to promote Rees. I'm curious to hear if he did interview anybody else. I hope we get to hear from Tom soon

My thoughts exactly would any top 25 program hire rees as an OC? Nobody
How many Top 25 teams would have hired Lea when Kelly promoted him? A lot of guys get promoted to jobs where they weren't even on the radar screen for other similar jobs. That's the result of your boss have intimate knowledge of your capabilities that others do not have.

I’m not sure what Rees did to Driskell, but he seems to have something against him beyond thinking he wasn’t the best hire.
I agree, he seems overly hostile towards Rees, which quite frankly is hard to accept from a journalist/analyst

How many Top 25 teams would have hired Lea when Kelly promoted him? A lot of guys get promoted to jobs where they weren't even on the radar screen for other similar jobs. That's the result of your boss have intimate knowledge of your capabilities that others do not have.

Lea worked in alot of programs prior to his advancement as DC

Reactions: hoopsstar12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT