ADVERTISEMENT

Rees named OC

Lea was part of the Elko deal or he wouldn't be here …. period …. then it only made sense to keep him to run the defense that Elko brought which he knew. Bringing in a new DC with a new scheme would've potentially been a mess.
Kelly hired both of them. And promoted Lea. Period

Reactions: BGI User 1596
Eric Hansen brought up an interesting point on his radio show this afternoon. The LSU staff mentioned that Joe Burrows was another OC on the field. Eric feels that for Ian to take the giant leap, he has to be an on the field OC in 2020 also. This is his third year. Can he be a Top Ten QB in 2020? I understand a lot of that depends on his Receivers and the running game, which has to absolutely positively get better.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
I had some free time today so I read several articles and posts about the Rees hire. Virtually every one was positive/glowing. You gotta be impressed with the kid....at 27 he's the OC at ND and he has the respect of his peers and the players. I only hope the other coaching openings are filled with new blood the can recruit like hell......and maybe Quinn gets reassigned

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
I had some free time today so I read several articles and posts about the Rees hire. Virtually every one was positive/glowing. You gotta be impressed with the kid....at 27 he's the OC at ND and he has the respect of his peers and the players. I only hope the other coaching openings are filled with new blood the can recruit like hell......and maybe Quinn gets reassigned
Made for tv if it all works out well....i hope it does

I may be in the minority here, but I have always been a glass half full guy, so I am going to channel my inner @BodiTheGreat and predict that Tommy Rees is going to make an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator for our beloved Irish. Of course, Bodi would make this prediction much more boldly and colorfully than I am capable of, but I expect we will hear his own thoughts on this topic before too long.

On the other hand, let's just hope it doesn't end up something like this:

LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Catholicfan95
I may be in the minority here, but I have always been a glass half full guy, so I am going to channel my inner @BodiTheGreat and predict that Tommy Rees is going to make an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator for our beloved Irish. Of course, Bodi would make this prediction much more boldly and colorfully than I am capable of, but I expect we will hear his own thoughts on this topic before too long.

On the other hand, let's just hope it doesn't end up something like this:

LOL!
This is gold!!!! Lol thanks for making my night!

For right now this could be the adventure of Pinocchio, BK plays a good geppetto, one day the strings will get cut...he will be running on is own. GL Mr. Rees

Reactions: chitown sot
All it’s going to take is one game for Rees to poop the bed and everybody and their mothers on this board will be screaming, “See!!!! I TOLD you Rees sucks!”

Let’s all just see how next season goes.

All I’m asking for next season is that Kelly doesn’t sh*t the bed and have a deer in the headlights game as in UM, Miami, etc.

Eric Hansen brought up an interesting point on his radio show this afternoon. The LSU staff mentioned that Joe Burrows was another OC on the field. Eric feels that for Ian to take the giant leap, he has to be an on the field OC in 2020 also. This is his third year. Can he be a Top Ten QB in 2020? I understand a lot of that depends on his Receivers and the running game, which has to absolutely positively get better.
Interesting point. Does book have more work to do mentally or physically?

Kelly hired both of them. And promoted Lea. Period

And still you miss the most important part of the equation. Would he be here or not. He would not and would've never had a chance to be promoted. Promoting him was the best option when Elko left. Thank god BK's hand was forced to bring him here in the place.

Because we had been running the Elko defense for so long and were committed to it?

Running Elko's defense brought great improvement that would've been foolish to just throw away. Would've resulted in the 3rd def coord and 3rd scheme for some def players if they hired someone else as well which is not good.

And still you miss the most important part of the equation. Would he be here or not. He would not and would've never had a chance to be promoted. Promoting him was the best option when Elko left. Thank god BK's hand was forced to bring him here in the place.
Make up any excuse or explanation you want. Kelly hired both and promoted Lea, Period. Any excuse or explanation you come up with is meaningless

Reactions: Pennick4
Make up any excuse or explanation you want. Kelly hired both and promoted Lea, Period. Any excuse or explanation you come up with is meaningless

Excuses? …. Kelly was forced to hire them .... meaning he wouldn't have on his own had his job not required it ,,,,, it is what happened …. apparently that is meaningless to you ….. yikes

Excuses? …. Kelly was forced to hire them .... meaning he wouldn't have on his own had his job not required it ,,,,, it is what happened …. apparently that is meaningless to you ….. yikes
He was forced to hire a new DC. The DC wasn't specifically hired for him and forced upon him. He hired Elko and Lea. Then promoted Lea. All your other talk is BS.... yikes

I can hear the Old Man now; "Oh, Thomas Rees, you must call better plays, lad"

Here we go again. I know everything and BK never makes a bad decision. No coach wants to be the OC at ND. Its nauseating.
please cite anything i said in that post that was incorrect ? i understand your long standing issues with comprehension..

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
Some will be proven wrong, some will be proven right. But right now, anyone who thinks they know how Rees will work out as OC is just yakking for the sake of yakking.

Oh, lads. Oh, oh, lads, we mustn't judge Thomas until some games have been played, lads

I just read an interesting fact that surprised me; ND is 70-21 .769 when TR is part of it's roster as player or coach. Like I said, I'm glad he found a new home IMIO. Yes, I do know you can find him over on SI.com; for those of you who miss him. It's free stuff for public consumption.
Seriously, most of those wins came when he was QB coach, yet, every QB ND has had underperformed.

Seriously, most of those wins came when he was QB coach, yet, every QB ND has had underperformed.
define "underperformed " ? what is that based on ? what were the expectations for say Ian Book who was not highly regarded coming in ? some have done well, others not so much.

define "underperformed " ? what is that based on ? what were the expectations for say Ian Book who was not highly regarded coming in ? some have done well, others not so much.
I know you try, but my dad taught me; you can't teach stupid. I don't bother with reply's like that one.

He was forced to hire a new DC. The DC wasn't specifically hired for him and forced upon him. He hired Elko and Lea. Then promoted Lea. All your other talk is BS.... yikes

He never would've hired Elko if not forced to, which means Lea wouldn't be here either. You want Kelly to get credit for things he was forced to do. This is so cut and dry it's beyond stupid. The stupidity on this board is off the charts at times.

Reactions: chitown sot

Define? Every 4 or 5 star Qb that ever came here to play for Kelly was deemed not able to play or ever was able to hold the starting job since he got here. Crist a 5 star, Jurkovec a 4 star (#1 Dual threat QB), Golson, Zaire, Wimbush.

I think that now that Chip Long as secured the next 5 years at QB with Pyne and Buchner (holding my breath on Buchner) Kelly thinks that should buy him enough time to get Rees feet wet as an OC since his feet are bone dry.

History dictates these guys will not pan out. Kelly has not developed one QB in 10 years. Is that a big enough sample size?

He never would've hired Elko if not forced to, which means Lea wouldn't be here either. You want Kelly to get credit for things he was forced to do. This is so cut and dry it's beyond stupid. The stupidity on this board is off the charts at times.
I dont care the circumstances. He hired both of them. And promoted Lea. Great decisions by him. And hired Balis. Great move.

Stop complaining and bi**hing about everything.

I dont care the circumstances. He hired both of them. And promoted Lea. Great decisions by him. And hired Balis. Great move.

Stop complaining and bi**hing about everything.

Thanks for the laugh

Only question I have is will Tommy Turnover turn into Tom Turnover? I’ve been a first year coach. It’s the little details you screw the pooch with. Comes with the territory of being a newbie.

Tom has one of the highest football IQs in the business.

He will be a head coach one day.

Good for Kelly for:
#1. hiring from within. This shows that Kelly is developing young coaches.

#2. Tom did not become a D1 QB because of athleticism. It was based off of his football IQ and work ethic. Those are two key ingredients to becoming a successful coach.

#3. The third ingredient to becoming a successful coach, is how do players respond to you. When I have been around Tom, I have seen players drawn to him. I witnessed this at his QB camp and at the Notre Dame coaches clinic.

Great in house hire!

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
I never was a big fan of Kelly. He is a good coach and will leave ND with a good record of wins against losses. I think that he was very fortunate in having really solid defensive teams for a good number of years. I never liked Kelly’s offense, and I think for most of his tenure the defense has carried this team.
As far a TR goes, who knows ? If memory serves me right, I believe that TR’s dad was a coach, and TR has been around football most of his life.
It would be great if he succeeds, and is able to eventually replace Kelly. TR certainly is a ND man.
Not saying that TR will ever approach Urban M in talent. But just imagine, if UM had stayed at ND why might have been ?
Time will tell with TR, and sometimes long shots come in ?
Should be interesting how all this plays out ?

Tom has one of the highest football IQs in the business.

He will be a head coach one day.

Good for Kelly for:
#1. hiring from within. This shows that Kelly is developing young coaches.

#2. Tom did not become a D1 QB because of athleticism. He was based off of his football IQ and work ethic. Those are two key ingredients to a successful coach.

#3. The third ingredient to a successful coach is how do players respond to him. When I have been around Tom, I have seen players drawn to him. I witnessed this at his QB camp and at the Notre Dame coaches clinic.

Great in house hire!
His Fathers connections certainly help just like they do for Charlie Jr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT