ADVERTISEMENT

Rees named OC

Tom has one of the highest football IQs in the business.

He will be a head coach one day.

Good for Kelly for:
#1. hiring from within. This shows that Kelly is developing young coaches.

#2. Tom did not become a D1 QB because of athleticism. He was based off of his football IQ and work ethic. Those are two key ingredients to a successful coach.

#3. The third ingredient to a successful coach is how do players respond to him. When I have been around Tom, I have seen players drawn to him. I witnessed this at his QB camp and at the Notre Dame coaches clinic.

Great in house hire!
Uncle Jack agrees with you. He feels TR is the right MAN for the job. I happen to agree with the both of you.

I never liked Kelly’s offense, and I think for most of his tenure the defense has carried this team.

It’s true for the past few seasons though ND’s best overall one year performance was on offense in 2015.

—4 seasons in which defense was the strength of the team: 2019, 2018, 2012, 2010
—2 seasons (or 3) in which offense was the strength of the team: 2015, 2014, (2013)
—1 season in which both were strengths: 2017 (though 2018 could be applicable here)
—3 seasons in which neither was really a strength: 2016, 2013, 2011

Offensive and defensive efficiences under Kelly. Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of each unit to the team's scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for "garbage time.”

2019: 26th in off efficiency, 5th in defensive efficiency—defense was clearly the strength of this team

2018: 19th in offense, 11th in defense—defense was the strength of the team

2017: 12th in offense, 10th in defense—both offense and defense were strengths

2016: 45 in offense, 46th in defense—neither the offense nor the defense was a strength

2015: 3rd on offense, 61st in defense—offense was clearly the strength of the team

2014: 22nd in offense, 61st in defense—offense was the strength of the team

2013: 33rd in offense, 49th in defense—offense was the strength of the team though it wasn’t that good

2012: 25th in offense, 10th in defense—defense was clearly the strength of the team

2011: 28th in offense, 23rd in defense—defense was slightly better, neither “carried” the team

2010: 63rd in offense, 19th in defense—defense was clearly the strength of the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgc7 and Bumpdaddy
Defense is usually underrated and the offense get more credit than they deserve. If an offense is bad they usually lose the Time of possession battle, and the defense is on the field far too long. That give the
Opposition more opportunity to put up more points on the defense, especially when the defense is
“ worn out and tired “ late in the game.
On the other had, when a solid defense keeps shutting down the opposition, the Offense gets more
Time of possession and more opportunities to score especially as the opposition defenses tire out ?
The fact of the matter, the offense gets most of the credit for the wins by most of the fan base.
To me , I believe that the TOP is a statistic that is simply over looked by most fans ?

Tom has one of the highest football IQs in the business.

He will be a head coach one day.

Good for Kelly for:
#1. hiring from within. This shows that Kelly is developing young coaches.

#2. Tom did not become a D1 QB because of athleticism. It was based off of his football IQ and work ethic. Those are two key ingredients to becoming a successful coach.

#3. The third ingredient to becoming a successful coach, is how do players respond to you. When I have been around Tom, I have seen players drawn to him. I witnessed this at his QB camp and at the Notre Dame coaches clinic.

Great in house hire!

By whose definition does he have one of the highest football IQs out there considering there are quit ALOT of football IQs out there.
If you're basing his IQ on his performance as a player then that alone counters your point

Last edited:
Stoops brothers, Ryan Day, Luke Fickell, Mike Yurcich, Vince Marrow, many others. Based on their long standing experience in the game and understanding what it takes to be a successful coach at the major college level.
That's interesting were can i read this

Reactions: rgc7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT