ADVERTISEMENT

Go Irish. Beat Beavers

Players and coaches and fans all want officials to be consistent and fair. This was anything but. It’s on the players and coaches to know and follow the rules, but you can’t have an approved workaround all season mysteriously withdrawn in the middle of a sweet 16 game; and then throw the language of the rule up as justification.

Maybe it’s just me. But I really am tired of the “ in your face “ look at me type players. Look I get it. I played plenty of sports. Having swagger an edge goes with the territory. However, there is also something called “ sportsmanship “. That is and has been missing for a long time. It seems the true “ me “ generation knows nothing about sportsmanship nor do their coaches. Just show some class when winning and lose with dignity. Believe me , you will always be a winner regardless of the outcome.

Separate issue. She had worn it all season without question from anyone,anywhere. The officials told her before the game she needed to cover it up and she complied. Then inexplicably during the natural flow of the game she was told it had to be removed. Officials completely botched the entire situation and should be reprimanded for their inconsistency in their decision making. Not the reason ND lost but it certainly impacted their performance.
Should never have been an issue -- the fact that she had worn it all year tells me the officials during the season were not enforcing it -- there goes the lack of consistency in enforcing rules. Then, when the post season began, again, she played a game or 2 with it -- again, the lack of consistency (what other games were out there in the tournament where a player may have had a nose ring or other prohibited jewelry on?). Also -- what communication was sent to coaches about points of emphasis to be expected during the tournament (jewelry, other in-season concerns that officials were going to be looking at?)

I don't speak ill of officials (I am one) -- but the lack of consistency from game to game, and, crew to crew is what drives coaches - and players (heck, even other officials) -- crazy.

And yes, it is not the reason ND lost, but it did have a mental impact on her game. ND competed extremely well overall for the limited amount of depth they had -- shots were not falling and they simply ran out of time.

Should never have been an issue -- the fact that she had worn it all year tells me the officials during the season were not enforcing it -- there goes the lack of consistency in enforcing rules. Then, when the post season began, again, she played a game or 2 with it -- again, the lack of consistency (what other games were out there in the tournament where a player may have had a nose ring or other prohibited jewelry on?). Also -- what communication was sent to coaches about points of emphasis to be expected during the tournament (jewelry, other in-season concerns that officials were going to be looking at?)

I don't speak ill of officials (I am one) -- but the lack of consistency from game to game, and, crew to crew is what drives coaches - and players (heck, even other officials) -- crazy.

And yes, it is not the reason ND lost, but it did have a mental impact on her game. ND competed extremely well overall for the limited amount of depth they had -- shots were not falling and they simply ran out of time.
Then she needs to toughen up

My recollection is Hildago had a collision of sorts with an Oregon St player with a foul being called on Hildago. The Oregon St player acted as though she was hurt around the face, and their coach complained, and the next thing I saw was Hildago upset on the bench having the damn nose ring cut off. She was off her game from that point on. I don’t think any jewelry should be allowed: nose rings and earrings and necklaces, etc… for men and women basketball.

Yes the foul with .7 secs left in quarter. No way the nose ring hurt the OSU player though

They were using a screwdriver to get the darn thing out!

Yes the foul with .7 secs left in quarter. No way the nose ring hurt the OSU player though

They were using a screwdriver to get the darn thing out!
In most places, I have seen it referred to as "a nose ring." In a few others, I have seen "nose stud." I think it is the latter because I don't remember seeing any images of Hidalgo with a ring. Plus I'm thinking a stud might be tougher to pull out.

Reactions: BGI User 756
In most places, I have seen it referred to as "a nose ring." In a few others, I have seen "nose stud." I think it is the latter because I don't remember seeing any images of Hidalgo with a ring. Plus I'm thinking a stud might be tougher to pull out.
Yes you are correct. Obviously I’m not a jewelry guy

lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT