ADVERTISEMENT

Rees named OC

Shocker. It's wasn't answered before, did ND actually interview anyone else? I never saw any names. When OL coach was hired, there were articles written about the candidates.
On another popular ND site (that uses composite gazing) you'll find an article that covers your inquiry. Moorehead and another coach, mentioned here in a thread, were the top three candidates; and yes they were all interviewed.

That's all well and good, but I actually am curious as to who else was interviewed.
Great question! We know Rees was garnering interest from Oregon and Northwestern but all I can find is that BK said he did an "extensive search."
I have a feeling he did a search similar to OJ's search for the "real killer."

On another popular ND site (that uses composite gazing) you'll find an article that covers your inquiry. Moorehead and another coach, mentioned here in a thread, were the top three candidates; and yes they were all interviewed.
Question is, was Rees first choice or did Moorhead turn it down or withdraw for some reason, e.g. Money, not the right fit, etc?

This is both a safe move and a risky move by BK. On one hand, he has someone in TR that has been around the program and is extremely familiar with the offense. On the other hand, he has someone lacking experience. It’s like giving a teenage kid who just got his license, a brand new $100k Maserati.
Personally, I like the move. I think what TR lacked in talent as a player, he definitely makes up for as a coach. I think there’s a huge upside, but this can also go sideways. Wish TR all the best.

I have no issues with TR being an O-Cord, just seems like he didn’t pay his dues. BK anointed him OC. No different than the CEO’s nephew being given a VP job after a year.

Let this sink in as well, Rees doesn't have to fill Chip Long's shoes as OC, as if that isn't bad enough.

He has to fill his recruiting shoes. They have to look like Bozo the Clown's shoes. Not even close.

This is both a safe move and a risky move by BK. On one hand, he has someone in TR that has been around the program and is extremely familiar with the offense. On the other hand, he has someone lacking experience. It’s like giving a teenage kid who just got his license, a brand new $100k Maserati.
Personally, I like the move. I think what TR lacked in talent as a player, he definitely makes up for as a coach. I think there’s a huge upside, but this can also go sideways. Wish TR all the best.

He not only has to make up his lack of coaching experience which is huge, he has to nmake up for his lack of recruiting experience. This coaching position for power teams is traditionally a powerful national recruiter. We have 27 year old Rees with zero experience. And it's not like ND wouldn't attract a coach who can recruit and who has experience.

Question is, was Rees first choice or did Moorhead turn it down or withdraw for some reason, e.g. Money, not the right fit, etc?

If you know Brian Kelly the best guess is that this was his plan all along and being the politician he is, he withheld this info knowing the firestorm it would draw if he dubbed him right away.

Sounds like a man with elite receivers at his disposal ... not the type of low 4 star/3 star WRs ND runs out there right now.

Do you mean like:

Jordan Johnson #3 WR
Javon McKinley #11 WR
Kevin Austin #15 WR
Brock Wright #1 TE
Chris Tyree #2 APB
Michael Mayer #3 TE
Kevin Bauman #5 TE

(and so far next year)
Lorenzo Styles #5 WR
Deion Colzie #3 Ath
Cane Berong #8 TE

All ranked higher than three most recent playmakers:
Will Fuller #18 WR
Chase Claypool #22 WR
Kevin Stephenson #66 WR

And some even equal or higher than our next NFL star:
Cole Kmet #3 TE

(F/P+++ - = FP times infinity)

Reactions: tbonesays
He not only has to make up his lack of coaching experience which is huge, he has to nmake up for his lack of recruiting experience. This coaching position for power teams is traditionally a powerful national recruiter. We have 27 year old Rees with zero experience. And it's not like ND wouldn't attract a coach who can recruit and who has experience.

Yet Young Tom Rees has already recruited:

#7 Drew Pyne who just killed it at his all star game (he was by far the best) and Drew was also recruited by Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn, Michigan.

#2 (and RISING) Tyler Buchner -- recruited by the world.

That is a pretty damn good start AND now Rees can work with Lance, and Quinn and Alexander and Kelly to add to the top-notch WR, OL and RB haul!

There is zero reason to expect or anticipate or equate the 4-8 season or BVG situation to the naming of Rees. He's a proven commodity, considered a rising star and clearly has had some interest from strong programs such as Oregon. I am guessing, like all of us, that BK (a) didn't find any obvious better options and b) felt keeping TR was better than losing him.

I think the Irish fan base should be proud to have one of their own players representing the great university, the program and the players. Sounds like he is very well liked by the players as well.
and who else out there could be more familiar and comfortable with the offensive philosophy that Kelly chooses to utilize ? as usual here lots of hand wringing and sky falling mentality. i've seen some pretty good endorsements of the hire on social media.

I have no issues with TR being an O-Cord, just seems like he didn’t pay his dues. BK anointed him OC. No different than the CEO’s nephew being given a VP job after a year.
been in the program three years. obviously his superiors felt he's earned a promotion.

Was secretly hoping this wouldn’t happen but knew it would deep down. Kelly is too insecure to bring in somebody that doesn’t have his same ideas on offense.

This hire is a major risk with Rees’s lack of meaningful experience and other coaching influences, but Brian has the “coldest seat in America” so he feels no pressure to go out and try to bring in somebody with an impressive background.
why would you bring in someone who doesn't share the offensive philosophy the head coach chooses to utilize ? that makes no sense.

Reactions: iwish
He’s been absolutely hammering Rees and Book. He is convinced the Jurkovec was the qb that could bring ND over the hump. PJ certainly had the potential, but it’s easy to forget MOST highly rated QB’s coming out of high school end up busts. To me it seemed Jurkovec is heading in that direction.
that's what hacks do.

He was a coach. (Not a “wannabe”)
Then he worked as an evaluator.
Then as an analyst.
The “new guy” was picked by him & know eachother well.
And he is widely known in the business as one of the best analysts, like him or not.
"widely known " ? by whom ? the podcast world ?

Last edited:
Does it matter what his experience level is ? Brian Kelly is the head coach. The offense hasn't really gone through any major peaks or valleys outside of one outlier offensive season back in 2015.

Point here is that people like to overvalue the value of a coordinator hire but at the end of the day the bucks stops with Kelly. Who he decides to make his offensive coordinator isn't really going to change the course/trajectory of the program. He's not an Ed Orgeron type who is very hands-off..especially when it comes to offense.

Under a different style of head coach maybe the coordinator hire would be some BIG program-defining situation but under BK coordinator hires don't really move the needle all that much.

For those satisfied with being some 2nd/3rd tier program there's nothing to worry about .. things aren't going to get any worse. For those expecting the offensive coordinator hire to be the type of impact the program desperately needs to change its outlook, you were setting yourself up for major disappointment to begin with. Coordinator hires under BK don't really make much of an impact ... the team will be somewhere in the top 15 regardless of who coordinates the offense or defense.

You want to get passionate about off-season transactions that make an impact: focus on NDs recruiting efforts and how ND compares to the top teams in the country. Landing some impact studs in the composite top 50/signing a top 5 class would have way more consequences for this program than who the coordinator is that's for sure.
Chase, I disagree with you here about the impact of coordinators, even though I agree that the buck ultimately stops with Kelly. Maybe you meant specifically offensive coordinator but since you didn’t say that, obviously our defensive coordinators have had a huge impact on the team over the years. The difference between BVG and Elko/Lea was massive. As far as offensive coordinators, they are surely limited by BK’s system, but at the same time who have we had that has went on to be very successful somewhere else? I guess we’ll see where Long lands and how he does, but to this point I’d argue that we haven’t had a good enough offensive coordinator to be able to tell if they can make an impact.

Reactions: stu4don and Kelso86
and who else out there could be more familiar and comfortable with the offensive philosophy that Kelly chooses to utilize ? as usual here lots of hand wringing and sky falling mentality. i've seen some pretty good endorsements of the hire on social media.
It seems like this is considered a positive move by many former players and people who cover Notre Dame.

Reactions: iwish and Telx1
Was hoping for an outside OC hire that would generate some positive buzz. Promoting Rees might seem the easy choice, but I think it puts a bullseye squarely on Kelly’s back. Quinn and Rees better deliver or the ND fan base will rightly have a meltdown similar to the 4-8 season and BVG disaster. Disappointment aside, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how well Rees recruits, plans and calls the games, and makes in game adjustments. Hope like hell he turns out like The Lea promotion.

"Disappointment aside, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how well Rees recruits, plans and calls the games, and makes in game adjustments. Hope like hell he turns out like The Lea promotion."

I agree -- I just hope that Kelly lets Tommy (and Lance) run the offense and keep his mitts out. Yes, he is the HC and has the ultimate responsibility, but, be the CEO and let TR and LA cut it loose. Also, would like to see one of them (or both) light a fire under Quinn's ass and get the O-Line to be physical at the point of attack (relative to the running game). And, we as fans need to also realize that there WILL BE GROWING PAINS as TR develops and matures.

I certainly hope TR and LT can light a fire under Quinn's rearend. He seems to be achilles heel of our coaches. Recruits well but develops poorly.CB coach -pleases allow Lea input on this. He is way better at D than Kelly.

Yet Young Tom Rees has already recruited:

#7 Drew Pyne who just killed it at his all star game (he was by far the best) and Drew was also recruited by Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn, Michigan.

#2 (and RISING) Tyler Buchner -- recruited by the world.

That is a pretty damn good start AND now Rees can work with Lance, and Quinn and Alexander and Kelly to add to the top-notch WR, OL and RB haul!

Maybe you should find out how recruiting works because Chip Long was lead recruiter for these guys. Just like Kelly. People like to give credit for others work.

Not to mention the guys are committing to a program where Chip Long is the OC …. not Rees the former Northwestern Grad asst.

Last edited:
Like Clark Lea right ?

Oh wait a minute-----Lea was your choice . :):)

The difference being that BK was forced to bring in Lea with Elko …. BK did the Rees thing all on his own …. Like VanGorder was his doing by choioce and not forced

Reactions: chitown sot
The difference being that BK was forced to bring in Lea with Elko …. BK did the Rees thing all on his own …. Like VanGorder was his doing by choioce and not forced
He wasnt forced to hire Lea as DC

We can talk about this for the next 8 months, but the decision has been made. This is going to end in one of 3 ways

1. The offense takes a step forward.
2. We see little to no improvement or little to no regression
3. Offensively the team takes a step back.

We just have to wait and see.

We can talk about this for the next 8 months, but the decision has been made. This is going to end in one of 3 ways

1. The offense takes a step forward.
2. We see little to no improvement or little to no regression
3. Offensively the team takes a step back.

We just have to wait and see.
Amen. And nobody has a clue which one it will be.

Reactions: rgc7 and NDinNJ
He wasnt forced to hire Lea as DC

Lea was part of the Elko deal or he wouldn't be here …. period …. then it only made sense to keep him to run the defense that Elko brought which he knew. Bringing in a new DC with a new scheme would've potentially been a mess.

Lea was part of the Elko deal or he wouldn't be here …. period …. then it only made sense to keep him to run the defense that Elko brought which he knew. Bringing in a new DC with a new scheme would've potentially been a mess.
Because we had been running the Elko defense for so long and were committed to it?

All it’s going to take is one game for Rees to poop the bed and everybody and their mothers on this board will be screaming, “See!!!! I TOLD you Rees sucks!”

Let’s all just see how next season goes.

Reactions: Kelso86
Here we go again. I know everything and BK never makes a bad decision. No coach wants to be the OC at ND. Its nauseating.

Reactions: Buguit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT