ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Minchey?

FightingIrish44

ND Expert
May 7, 2009
Do you agree with this? I don’t feel real strongly about it, but using one of his four games this early for about 8 snaps doesn’t seem sound. Only two passes. Might as well just let Angeli do that.

Just my opinion.

But only 8 snaps? My concern is injuries late in the year if ND needs him to play.

He can practice handing the ball off…in practice. If he has to play in games 10-13, for instance, he loses his redshirt.

But only 8 snaps? My concern is injuries late in the year if ND needs him to play.

He can practice handing the ball off…in practice. If he has to play in games 10-13, for instance, he loses his redshirt.

We likely won’t need him and there’s only one TennST team on the schedule. The more snaps you get the younger guys, the better team you’ll have in the future. It also helps in recruiting.

The previous coaching staff did an atrocious job of this IMO.

Do you agree with this? I don’t feel real strongly about it, but using one of his four games this early for about 8 snaps doesn’t seem sound. Only two passes. Might as well just let Angeli do that.

Just my opinion.
Yes I agree with the coaches

I enjoyed seeing a lot of our young guys getting some playing time. Never understood or agreed with Kelly’s reluctance to do this when games were in hand. Every player lives the grind of practice and film study and the weight room, etc… and getting even eight snaps is a bit of reward for the hard work and encourages more of the same.

I think MF had it right......Get Angeli ready. You never know, look at Virginia several years ago with Kizer to Fuller (Still one of the best all time ND plays). Minchey is a 4 star I think. I'm not sure you can depend on just SA next year. The reality is, there is probably only 1 other game you can get him into. The rest will go to the 4th and maybe Steve gets a few snaps. I think its a good move.

Reactions: jerbach
Perhaps I’m just more risk averse. 8 snaps and 2 passes, against an FCS team that’s less talented than ND’s 3rd team, isn’t worth taking up 25% of the games in which Minchey can play…at this point in the season. Game 6 or 7, I’d feel different.

Those 2 passing reps are minuscule in comparison to potentially losing the redshirt (albeit an admittedly small chance that happens).

Maybe the staff knows the odds of the redshirt being lost better than I do. An algorithm probably exists.

We likely won’t need him and there’s only one TennST team on the schedule. The more snaps you get the younger guys, the better team you’ll have in the future. It also helps in recruiting.

The previous coaching staff did an atrocious job of this IMO.
Absolutely agree with this!!

Perhaps I’m just more risk averse. 8 snaps and 2 passes, against an FCS team that’s less talented than ND’s 3rd team, isn’t worth taking up 25% of the games in which Minchey can play…at this point in the season. Game 6 or 7, I’d feel different.

Those 2 passing reps are minuscule in comparison to potentially losing the redshirt (albeit an admittedly small chance that happens).

Maybe the staff knows the odds of the redshirt being lost better than I do. An algorithm probably exists.
Hes not playing 4 games, only game he can play this year barring injuries.

Irrelevant! Nobody stays 5 years anymore. The days of players sitting 3 or 4 years to be the starter are long over. It’s hard to get QB’s to stay past two years unless they are the starter. Hartman is an anomaly and not at Wake Forest.

What good is a depth chart if its inexperienced? And how do you know what kind of depth you have? The elite coaches understand that developing depth requires real games. Kelly was horrible at this...but then again, I did stipulate elite coaches.

Minchey has one more game until November where he could "potentially" play. Unless the wheels come off the wagon injury wise.

He won't be needed this season.

Just my opinion.
Yes was a good move. We need to develop the frosh class, they are talented

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT