ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB for 2024

You wonder how it might hurt recruiting if QB's who commit to ND never get to play. I obviously have not seen a lot of Angeli but what I have seen has been good. Montana supposedly was not a good practice player.
Maybe so. But I would definitely say next season would qualify as being portal-worthy at the QB position, if we could get someone really good. No offense to Angeli. And that would make three out of four seasons with a grad transfer starter at QB, and quite frankly it ought to have been four years straight, because in 2022 we might have been better off finding a transfer for that season as well.

So that's definitely a trend, and maybe it would affect QB recruiting moving forward.

So why was he recruited?

I don’t see 2023 as a lost year at all. If the staff thought Buchner or Angeli were good enough to win 10 regular season games Sam Hartman would not be the QB. They didn’t.

Now I fully expect one more shot at a grad transfer QB, then let the QB room fight it put in 2025.
The problem is Hartman wasn’t good enough to win 10 games and wasted a year of development on a 1 year guy. It’s exactly why the portal discussion is being held now because the coaches haven’t developed the QB room. How long can ND survive playing the portal and neglecting the development of the guys recruited?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I don’t see how getting a transfer QB automatically ruins QB development for the future. Every starting QB in college football makes his start for the first time. By everyone’s logic, QB’s don’t develop if they don’t play. Therefore, it’s assumed a first time starter is going to come at a cost. But this doesn’t happen all the time. When a guy is ready, he is ready. If we go with a first time starter QB next year and they start struggling, do we get on the message boards and start the barrage of hind sight biased comments of “we should have got a transfer QB?”

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Why not? 5th year QB with lots of game experience. I’d rather have 4 QB’s than 3 regardless of talent of that 4th guy.

He could easily end up being #1 or #2 next year. If that scares off a redshirt freshman or true freshman, then they weren’t meant to be here anyway.
At some point you need to play the guys you recruited out of high school.

The problem is Hartman wasn’t good enough to win 10 games and wasted a year of development on a 1 year guy. It’s exactly why the portal discussion is being held now because the coaches haven’t developed the QB room. How long can ND survive playing the portal and neglecting the development of the guys recruited?
That's a totally fair point. But I think that is offset by the fact that we could have done better this year, if we still had Rees let's say, not that TR is the godboy of OCs, but definitely better than Parker. And F, if we hadn't lost to tOSU, which truly was a gut-wrencher and season-changer, maybe we're undefeated and cruising toward the playoffs right now, and then bringing SH in would have been a masterstroke....

So it wasn't like it was a complete waste, and SH has been good, and MF needed a good QB in year 2 after a semi-shaky start to his tenure. Having said all that, I'm at least very interested in that QB from Tulane, if he's the real deal and he's available, to name just one possibility. Maybe there are other legit grad-transfer options in addition.

But only a grad-transfer, one-and-done guy. Otherwise stick with the underclassmen.....

Sam Hartman??

The WR group was not good enough, the OL collectively was not good enough, the OC wasn’t good enough, and the head coach who can’t put 11 on the field on defense after a timeout wasn’t good enough.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Sam Hartman??

The WR group was not good enough, the OL collectively was not good enough, the OC wasn’t good enough, and the head coach who can’t put 11 on the field on defense after a timeout wasn’t good enough.
Why wasn’t the OL good enough? Disappointing that the group maybe underachieved. Do you expect big changes next season?

I love all this talk about worrying about Angeli, or Minchey, as our QB. Playing guys on your roster was how CFB worked for decades upon decades before transfer portal even existed; now many consider it to be this huge risk. Play Angeli! he's been in the program for 2+ years and no doubt knows the offense better than any first year player, including a transfer. None of us know what he can actually do, since none of us are at practice, or in team rooms; so give him the opportunity that he deserves, as well as Minchey. Seems to me they'd be maturing in parallel with the WR room. It's called development, it's called coaching, it's called a "program". It's not a novel concept
I like Angeli too. I always have. You're right; we don't get to see him at practice or in the QB room, but the coaches so and they are the ones who have chosen to go this route. I agree with their decision to get another QB on the roster who is capable of playing immediately. Otherwise, your #2 is a sophomore with virtually no experience at all and none with the first team offense. That just won't cut it in today's football.

Yup
They have lived up to the hype tOSU gave them
The OSU game is a strange set of circumstances.

OSU has a top 3 or 4 defense but their sack and pressure rate is abysmal. That doesn’t happen often. They were great against the run, and to be fair most of the teams on their schedule didn’t throw well. With ND and Maryland probably being at the top and neither would be mistaken for the Oilers old “run & shoot” with Moon.

The B1G has SIX of the ten WORST offenses in CFB (130 teams). Yes, you read that right, SIX of the ten WORST offenses in FBS are in the B1G. That kind of skews the defensive numbers a bit. I think OSU, PSU, UM, and Iowa all have very good defenses but my goodness some of those tomato cans they were playing couldn’t score if the had $1k standing on Front Street in downtown Columbus, on a Saturday summer night.. Just pathetic.

I like Angeli too. I always have. You're right; we don't get to see him at practice or in the QB room, but the coaches so and they are the ones who have chosen to go this route. I agree with their decision to get another QB on the roster who is capable of playing immediately. Otherwise, your #2 is a sophomore with virtually no experience at all and none with the first team offense. That just won't cut it in today's football.
The answer is to recruit better. The point of contention is what to do until the better talent has been on campus at least a year or two, so Freeman's 3rd or 4rh season. I think that the staff could do just fine by starting a guy already on the roster. They have bought into the idea that they can be a playoff team and are a QB away. They are more than a QB away from being a true title contender. That's why I think the better route would be to pick a guy who has already been in the system and ride with that guy until it's clear that he can't get it done. Try the next guy after that. Eventually you have a multi-year starter and you play him until eligibility is exhausted.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Well, if Angeli or Minchey is not good enough to beat out a transfer QB than so be it. Go into the transfer portal. Angeli has been in the system for three years now.

Well, if Angeli or Minchey is not good enough to beat out a transfer QB than so be it. Go into the transfer portal. Angeli has been in the system for three years now.
Its more than just a transfer QB vs unknown QB's
There's alot of original parts missing

Why wasn’t the OL good enough? Disappointing that the group maybe underachieved. Do you expect big changes next season?
I think our OL underperformed when faced with smaller quicker defensive lines, and/or when faced with hyper active schemes like Louisville threw at us. Maybe finals week and lack of prep or energy affected our play that night, but felt we were out coached and outplayed, and Hartman took the brunt of the criticism.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Its been so long since Notre Dame had a championship caliber quarterback....that Hartman appeared to foot the bill to many fans. The deficit in big games demonstrated that he was well short of that level. So we keep looking.

Sam Hartman??

That’s fair..and why I was against bringing in Hartman from the get go if the team was going to go 9-3. I thought the rental would be worthwhile at 11-1 or 12-0. I see it as wasted year of development and believe Angelli could have gone 9-3 as well and now would be rolling into year 2 as a starter..rather than rolling the dice again in The portal.

Reactions: chaseball
Its been so long since Notre Dame had a championship caliber quarterback....that Hartman appeared to foot the bill to many fans. The deficit in big games demonstrated that he was well short of that level. So we keep looking.
It certainly wasn't totally on Hartman; I receiver room is simply bad, both young and inexperienced, it really didn't matter who the QB was. To say Hartman isn't championship caliber simply wasn't knowable

It certainly wasn't totally on Hartman; I receiver room is simply bad, both young and inexperienced, it really didn't matter who the QB was. To say Hartman isn't championship caliber simply wasn't knowable
Hes not. And theres a lot of QBs that we could have won 11 or 12 games with.

That’s fair..and why I was against bringing in Hartman from the get go if the team was going to go 9-3. I thought the rental would be worthwhile at 11-1 or 12-0. I see it as wasted year of development and believe Angelli could have gone 9-3 as well and now would be rolling into year 2 as a starter..rather than rolling the dice again in The portal.
Saying Steve Angeli was a guaranteed 9-3 season, or even could have gone 9-3, is a reach IMO.

Well we don't actually know that, that is nothing more than your opinion. I think with a quality, experienced receivers room we would have won 11 games, but that's just my opinion. Both opinions are mute, as we'll never know

And there are a lot of WR's, OC's, and better OL's that collectively could have won more games as well.

The OC at Notre Dame is challenged, the WR room was collectively below average, and the OL underperformed all season.

Hell, the head coach can't count to 11 sometimes, even after a timeout.

Yet, all you do is point at Sam Hartman.

Steve Angeli has been at Notre Dame two years, not 3.

And there are a lot of WR's, OC's, and better OL's that collectively could have won more games as well.

The OC at Notre Dame is challenged, the WR room was collectively below average, and the OL underperformed all season.

Hell, the head coach can't count to 11 sometimes, even after a timeout.

Yet, all you do is point at Sam Hartman.
I point at a lot of people

QB is the most important position on the field

We need better

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Saying Steve Angeli was a guaranteed 9-3 season, or even could have gone 9-3, is a reach IMO.
Why? The defense and running game carried the season, ND didn’t win any games they weren’t supposed to and lost two they were favorites in. Either way, the 1 year rental for the Sun Bowl was awful anyway you slice it. QB play was average at best, elite QB play has this team in the playoff not the Sun Bowl.

Why? The defense and running game carried the season, ND didn’t win any games they weren’t supposed to and lost two they were favorites in. Either way, the 1 year rental for the Sun Bowl was awful anyway you slice it. QB play was average at best, elite QB play has this team in the playoff not the Sun Bowl.
The rental of Sam Hartman wasn't awful. At all. If Steve Angeli was any good in practice from January-November he would have received significant snaps.

He wasn't.

And if this team had WR's that were collectively any good, an OC that was any good, and an OL that was any good, and a head coach that can count to 11 after a timeout, they would have been better.

Last edited:
The rental of Sam Hartman wasn't awful. At all. If Steve Angeli was any good in practice from January-November he would have received significant snaps.

He wasn't.

And if this team had WR's that were collectively any good, an OC that was any good, and an OL that was any good, and a head coach that can count to 11 after a timeout, they would have been better.
It was everyone's fault but Sams !!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

You still crushing on him I see

• Haha
Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't get takes like the one to which you responded. What is it that they saw in Sam Hartman that was so special?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT