ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB for 2024

DieHard_Irish

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 27, 2010
I love all this talk about worrying about Angeli, or Minchey, as our QB. Playing guys on your roster was how CFB worked for decades upon decades before transfer portal even existed; now many consider it to be this huge risk. Play Angeli! he's been in the program for 2+ years and no doubt knows the offense better than any first year player, including a transfer. None of us know what he can actually do, since none of us are at practice, or in team rooms; so give him the opportunity that he deserves, as well as Minchey. Seems to me they'd be maturing in parallel with the WR room. It's called development, it's called coaching, it's called a "program". It's not a novel concept

I love all this talk about worrying about Angeli, or Minchey, as our QB. Playing guys on your roster was how CFB worked for decades upon decades before transfer portal even existed; now many consider it to be this huge risk. Play Angeli! he's been in the program for 2+ years and no doubt knows the offense better than any first year player, including a transfer. None of us know what he can actually do, since none of us are at practice, or in team rooms; so give him the opportunity that he deserves, as well as Minchey. Seems to me they'd be maturing in parallel with the WR room. It's called development, it's called coaching, it's called a "program". It's not a novel concept
If they are really good or talented players then yeah. What if they see him in practice and think he's just not good enough

Yes we do know what Angeli can do. He can be a solid player. His ceiling isn’t as high as the best QBs in the country and nobody that has even the slightest idea thinks he’s a future first round pick.

Angeli has Coan’s ceiling. BK and Rees can win 11 games with Coan. No ability to coach Freeman and his moron OC hire Parker cannot.

Right now, Minchey has the most upside for QB on the roster. I can’t imagine why anyone would transfer in after watching Hartman, the all time ACC leading QB, regress into some mutated life form worse than Pyne in the matter of a few games. Fire Parker and try again is the only option. Keep Parker and Freeman likely won’t be here by 2025.

Cuz it's too late baby now it's too late. Something inside is gone and I can't hide it I just gotta say....

Carly Simon
Carole King

Last edited:
Reactions: melstew
I say bring in a transfer and the let the chips fall where they may. This is the reality of college football now. Hartman has made this team better even if he has struggled lately. The goal is to win a title and you need the best players to do that.

Angeli isn’t owed anything other than a fair chance to compete for the job. He’s still “only” a redshirt sophomore next year.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I'd rather roll with Angeli, Minchey and Carr next season, and not bring in a transfer again, unless that transfer is a first round pick type of talent.

But bringing in another Hartman type of talent (late round draft pick) isn't necessary. Would rather roll with our homegrown QBs. I think we should be able to find a good starting QB out of this group.

We got the best QB in the portal last year. If we go to the portal and get the best QB and have the same results as this year we have wasted a year for the young guys. If they all stay Carr is going to be a scout team QB next season (just like Arch at Texas). It is time to develop from within

I'd rather roll with Angeli, Minchey and Carr next season, and not bring in a transfer again, unless that transfer is a first round pick type of talent.

But bringing in another Hartman type of talent (late round draft pick) isn't necessary. Would rather roll with our homegrown QBs. I think we should be able to find a good starting QB out of this group.
Agree, and since we don't take under graduate transfers, I wouldn't expect a 1st round 5th year guy exists

Reactions: DublinND and mbd11
We got the best QB in the portal last year. If we go to the portal and get the best QB and have the same results as this year we have wasted a year for the young guys. If they all stay Carr is going to be a scout team QB next season (just like Arch at Texas). It is time to develop from within
Marcus Freeman is paid well to win now. Go find the best 2024 grad transfer QB you can find.

Marcus Freeman is paid well to win now. Go find the best 2024 grad transfer QB you can find.
Then people will bitch that we can't recruit great talent, or we don't develop QBs. We have talented QBs on the roster right now, recruited by ND. Now coach them and develop them or take another transfer and set the "program" back another year.

Then people will bitch that we can't recruit great talent, or we don't develop QBs. We have talented QBs on the roster right now, recruited by ND. Now coach them and develop them or take another transfer and set the "program" back another year.
No problem with your opinion. We just disagree. ND will not go into 2024 with three scholarship QB’s.

Reactions: Telx1
I don’t see the down side of taking a transfer QB to come in and compete for the starting job. 4 scholarship QB’s is better than 3. If the transfer wins, then he he earned the spot. If he doesn’t, then he has to assume his role as a backup like most other QB’s. Buchner transferred and didn’t win the starting job. Most QB’s are prima donnas and feel entitled to play because they were the man in high school. They need to understand that for every starting QB, there are 2-3 backups.

If you can improve the room via the portal you absolutely do so. That doesn’t mean Angelo or Minchey still can’t win the job.

People are upset about the Hartman situation and are now turned off from the portal. Parker is a terrible OC. Our receivers are hot garbage (time to let go of Stuckey). Hartman was a gimmick QB. Despite all this, we are a few plays away from 11-1 and a playoff berth.

If you can improve the room via the portal you absolutely do so. That doesn’t mean Angelo or Minchey still can’t win the job.

People are upset about the Hartman situation and are now turned off from the portal. Parker is a terrible OC. Our receivers are hot garbage (time to let go of Stuckey). Hartman was a gimmick QB. Despite all this, we are a few plays away from 11-1 and a playoff berth.
Some people.

I don’t see the down side of taking a transfer QB to come in and compete for the starting job. 4 scholarship QB’s is better than 3. If the transfer wins, then he he earned the spot. If he doesn’t, then he has to assume his role as a backup like most other QB’s. Buchner transferred and didn’t win the starting job. Most QB’s are prima donnas and feel entitled to play because they were the man in high school. They need to understand that for every starting QB, there are 2-3 backups.
If we can find somebody decent for depth, who doesn't mind coming in and not winning the job potentially, then fine. But I think most transfers plan on starting at their new programs - especially grad transfers who only have one year left.

Last edited:
No problem with your opinion. We just disagree. ND will not go into 2024 with three scholarship QB’s.
We only have 3 this year. And the 4th QB, walk-on Dylan Devezin, is a sophomore and presumably would be coming back next year.

Yes we do know what Angeli can do. He can be a solid player. His ceiling isn’t as high as the best QBs in the country and nobody that has even the slightest idea thinks he’s a future first round pick.

Angeli has Coan’s ceiling. BK and Rees can win 11 games with Coan. No ability to coach Freeman and his moron OC hire Parker cannot.

Right now, Minchey has the most upside for QB on the roster. I can’t imagine why anyone would transfer in after watching Hartman, the all time ACC leading QB, regress into some mutated life form worse than Pyne in the matter of a few games. Fire Parker and try again is the only option. Keep Parker and Freeman likely won’t be here by 2025.
You don't know shit about any of the QBS on the roster. The only people that have any idea are the coaches who have seen them on a daily basis.

This isn’t on Stuckey. Flores and Greathouse are basically his first class. They’re doing fine.

Whoever owns Merriweather, Thomas, Colze, and Styles dropped the ball. That’s not Stuckey.

Reactions: Telx1
This isn’t on Stuckey. Flores and Greathouse are basically his first class. They’re doing fine.

Whoever owns Merriweather, Thomas, Colze, and Styles dropped the ball. That’s not Stuckey.
I love the 2 freshman but the rest of the guys have regressed.

We’ll he didn’t. He sacrificed player development by bringing in a transfer to win big. By Win Now, you mean make a NY6 bowl or playoff? The season is lost by ND standards and there isn’t a whole lot to play for besides charmin and hostess bowl. I see no harm in giving the future of your program meaningful reps when the starter has been average at best the last month. By all means go win the game but reps are huge in building for the future in a lost season.

We’ll he didn’t. He sacrificed player development by bringing in a transfer to win big. By Win Now, you mean make a NY6 bowl or playoff? The season is lost by ND standards and there isn’t a whole lot to play for besides charmin and hostess bowl. I see no harm in giving the future of your program meaningful reps when the starter has been average at best the last month. By all means go win the game but reps are huge in building for the future in a lost season.
He did..

Problems on offense also include lousy WR play, an inexperienced OC, and an OL that collectively isn’t that good.

Sam Hartman has little help, and is the best QB on the roster.

I say bring in a transfer and the let the chips fall where they may. This is the reality of college football now. Hartman has made this team better even if he has struggled lately. The goal is to win a title and you need the best players to do that.

Angeli isn’t owed anything other than a fair chance to compete for the job. He’s still “only” a redshirt sophomore next year.
"I say bring in a transfer and the let the chips fall where they may"

Then, why recruit QB's? I get it -- it is a double edged sword.

He did..

Problems on offense also include lousy WR play, an inexperienced OC, and an OL that collectively isn’t that good.

Sam Hartman has little help, and is the best QB on the roster.
I don't have a problem with bringing in Hartman this year. We needed an upgrade. Pyne's physically limited and Buchner's not a good passer. And Angeli was still too young and inexperienced. So Hartman provided a good bridge to 2024. But next year, I think we should be able to find a capable QB from among the three we'll have. Angeli has played well when he's appeared, and Minchey seems to have a lot of talent, as well as Carr.

Angeli actually has a higher QB rating than Hartman, although it was obviously in mop-up duty.

Reactions: Kelso86
Hartman was brought in to compete for the starting job, it’s just that our QB room was so underwhelming he won the starting job. I doubt it was guaranteed, even though we all knew it was going to be him. No reason not to add a 4th QB to the room and pick the best amongst the 4. At the end of the day, it’s important to field the best team possible. If guys can’t develop and be ready, we need to start recruiting guys that can. And I think Carr and Deuce fit that bill better than what we’ve had in the past.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Hartman was brought in to compete for the starting job, it’s just that our QB room was so underwhelming he won the starting job. I doubt it was guaranteed, even though we all knew it was going to be him. No reason not to add a 4th QB to the room and pick the best amongst the 4. At the end of the day, it’s important to field the best team possible. If guys can’t develop and be ready, we need to start recruiting guys that can. And I think Carr and Deuce fit that bill better than what we’ve had in the past.
"If guys can’t develop and be ready, we need to start recruiting guys that can"

Does not not fall on to the coaching staff as well?

Reactions: DublinND
I find the answer to this question more complex than just, get a transfer or not get a transfer.

If the team is young and you have a QB you really believe is the future, I am a fan of playing a younger QB, taking a few experience lumps which will benefit the program years down the road.

ND’s situation may be different. With pressure mounting on Freeman, I’m not sure if he has the time and patience to risk starting an inexperienced QB.

I think if you can snag the top transfer, you take him. On the flip side, I’m not sure it’s a great look for QB recruitment when often taking transfer QB’s. I’d hate for Deuce Knight to decommit because of it.

Therefor, it’s simply a tough situation and I’m not sure what Freeman will do. Taking lumps early surely benefited the offense when it came to Quinn & Clausen so I’m not against starting the young guys if they progress to be as productive as those QB’s…

Time will tell…

"If guys can’t develop and be ready, we need to start recruiting guys that can"

Does not not fall on to the coaching staff as well?
You can lead a horse to water. I’m sure our current coaching staff and past coaching staff has put in adequate effort to develop the QB’s. Sometimes a player has to step up and be the guy. I don’t feel our QB recruiting has been all that great in the past, but it is getting better. And even when ND has recruited a 5 star, they have been highly over rated And were just never able to be the guy. Just look at how many 5 star QB’s ND recruited and how many made a name for themselves. Crist, Kiel, and Jurkovich come to mind. Kiel and Jurkovich transferred and you really never heard about them. So was it lack of development? They had equal chances to develop at different schools, Jurkovich attended 3 schools total. We need a guy to step up in the QB room.

You can lead a horse to water. I’m sure our current coaching staff and past coaching staff has put in adequate effort to develop the QB’s. Sometimes a player has to step up and be the guy. I don’t feel our QB recruiting has been all that great in the past, but it is getting better. And even when ND has recruited a 5 star, they have been highly over rated And were just never able to be the guy. Just look at how many 5 star QB’s ND recruited and how many made a name for themselves. Crist, Kiel, and Jurkovich come to mind. Kiel and Jurkovich transferred and you really never heard about them. So was it lack of development? They had equal chances to develop at different schools, Jurkovich attended 3 schools total. We need a guy to step up in the QB room.
5 star QBs are tough. Sometimes they’re Trevor Lawrence, sometimes they’re Blake Barnett. It’s hard to tell in recruiting which players have reached their peak, and which will continue to develop.

I do agree that coaching matters and being able to develop a player is essential, but as we’ve seen, sometimes players are busts and reached their max potential in high school.

Who would’ve guessed coming out of high school that Ian Book would be far more successful than Phil Jerkovic or Tyler Buchner— not many!

5 star QBs are tough. Sometimes they’re Trevor Lawrence, sometimes they’re Blake Barnett. It’s hard to tell in recruiting which players have reached their peak, and which will continue to develop.

I do agree that coaching matters and being able to develop a player is essential, but as we’ve seen, sometimes players are busts and reached their max potential in high school.

Who would’ve guessed coming out of high school that Ian Book would be far more successful than Phil Jerkovic or Tyler Buchner— not many!
The ultimate question I always ask is how much does a coach play into a QB’s success. These “QB gurus” that we always hear about for example. Are they that good at molding a piece of clay into an elite talent, or do they just have the ability to see what others don’t and recruit the right guys. I tend to think a player has it or they don’t. To me it seems coaching tactics are generally similar and almost universal. Are there some drills that are specific to one coach that he uses that is objectively superior to another coach’s? How would we ever know this? Also, if there was a specific tactic, wouldn’t it become common knowledge and utilized by all QB coaches? There will only be a handful of elite QB’s. You will have a lot more serviceable QB’s. But you will have the most backup QB’s who will never sniff the field.

The ultimate question I always ask is how much does a coach play into a QB’s success. These “QB gurus” that we always hear about for example. Are they that good at molding a piece of clay into an elite talent, or do they just have the ability to see what others don’t and recruit the right guys. I tend to think a player has it or they don’t. To me it seems coaching tactics are generally similar and almost universal. Are there some drills that are specific to one coach that he uses that is objectively superior to another coach’s? How would we ever know this? Also, if there was a specific tactic, wouldn’t it become common knowledge and utilized by all QB coaches? There will only be a handful of elite QB’s. You will have a lot more serviceable QB’s. But you will have the most backup QB’s who will never sniff the field.
I tend to agree with you here. Blake Barnett and Tua were both 5 stars in the Alabama offense.

Kyle McCord doesn’t seem to have the talent and decision making ability that other OSU QB’s had in the past under the same coaching as well. Is OSU technically number one? Sure are, but I think anyone that watches college football religiously can see a severe drop off at quarterback in that offense.

Fans wanted him to take his best shot, not the safe shot. Let’s go for the gold! He did and did well, but no gold.
So, the fans can’t abandon him now! We all thought the D was playoff ready, the offense was good enough to get a few points and then hope the D pulls it out.
Kudos to MF, he did not shy from getting into the Fray!

Now? Evaluate, is there a legit shot with a QB? Y? Find your portal QB and take another shot! No? Then go with the youth movement, looking forward to the next year! With home grown talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT