ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

Ohio State was 24th in opponents rushing yards per game last year, that was better than Notre Dame (31st). Ohio State was even better in rushing defense during the 2020 season, coming in at 5th in the country in rushing yards given up per game. The weakness isn't as big as you're making it out to be, and it's even more hilarious considering you're trying to copy last year's defense and paste it to 2022 when the defensive staff has been wiped.
Every run first team they played rushed for 200 plus yards. The majority of the OSU schedule was pretty weak outside of
Oregon rushed for over 269
Michigan 197
Minnesota 200.

As far as Vegas odds, By game time it will be 10 points 3 of those goes to the home team so it will be 7

I agree - stopping the run really falls - a ton - n that disastrous LB unit last year. BTW, who was the LB coach for OSU last year ? Any ideas ?
He is a Dline coach now which he should have need at OSU.

Your DL wasnt that great last year either though. The legend may be slipping
Guess we'll find out in a few weeks. BTW, I'm not an OSU fan but I am a fan of another B1G university'

My point is I wouldn't keep drilling the OSU defense if ND ended up hiring one of the two asst. coaches every OSU fan wanted gone. The other was Kerry Coombs (sp?)

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks. BTW, I'm not an OSU fan but I am a fan of another B1G university'

My point is I wouldn't keep drilling the OSU defense if ND ended up hiring one of the two asst. coaches every OSU fan wanted gone. The other was Kerry Coombs (sp?)
I haven't been drilling them. Others have. I think the others are wrong

I haven't been drilling them. Others have. I think the others are wrong
Oops . Sorry. I thought I was replying to that Zorich character. Believe it or not, I'll actually be pulling for ND but I have a hard time when I'm discussing CF with fans with their school blinders on. This OSU team - from what I've read - should be their most talented since 2014-15.

Oops . Sorry. I thought I was replying to that Zorich character. Believe it or not, I'll actually be pulling for ND but I have a hard time when I'm discussing CF with fans with their school blinders on. This OSU team - from what I've read - should be their most talented since 2014-15.
I dont know if they are more talented than the Justin Fields team but they are absolutely loaded

We can go back and forth but in what, about 60 days we will see.

ND 41
OSU 34

Every run first team they played rushed for 200 plus yards. The majority of the OSU schedule was pretty weak outside of
Oregon rushed for over 269
Michigan 197
Minnesota 200.

As far as Vegas odds, By game time it will be 10 points 3 of those goes to the home team so it will be 7
All those teams you listed are much better rushing offenses than Notre Dame has last year, all averaging around 198-214 ypg on the ground, while Notre Dame was at 143ypg, And now you take away Kyren Williams. So even if our rushing defense sucked this year (which it won't), Notre Dame likely does not even have a good enough rushing attack to take advantage of it.

All those teams you listed are much better rushing offenses than Notre Dame has last year, all averaging around 198-214 ypg on the ground, while Notre Dame was at 143ypg, And now you take away Kyren Williams. So even if our rushing defense sucked this year (which it won't), Notre Dame likely does not even have a good enough rushing attack to take advantage of it.
You'll be better stopping the run

We'll have a very good running game this year

You'll be better stopping the run

We'll have a very good running game this year
Very good running game? Says who? You guys have a first time QB and your leading returning rusher had how many yards last season? I know you're probably optimistic like most fans are but there's not much to suggest Notre Dame will be a great running team this year when they lost a good running back to the draft. And as good as Kyren Williams was, he barely eclipsed 1k yards the last two seasons.

Very good running game? Says who? You guys have a first time QB and your leading returning rusher had how many yards last season? I know you're probably optimistic like most fans are but there's not much to suggest Notre Dame will be a great running team this year when they lost a good running back to the draft. And as good as Kyren Williams was, he barely eclipsed 1k yards the last two seasons.
1. Harry Heistand, the best OL coach in the country is back. We had an awful one last year. Huge upgrade will obviously help

2. Talent. We've recruited OL very well over the years. Our 2 soph tackles might be one of the best combos in the country

3. Tyler Buchner. Hes going to be a huge weapon running the ball from the QB spot. We lost a ton of yards from that position last year. Had a statue back there. Now we have a big time athlete.

Theres no doubt in anyone who follows ND football that our run game will be much improved. The question is will it be really good or elite. That's what we have to see

You're an ohio state fam so Iwouldnt expect you to know this. But don't act like a tool

We can go back and forth but in what, about 60 days we will see.

ND 41
OSU 34
The reason I'm picking OSU is that it all starts at QB in CF and most "experts" say that Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are the 2 best in the country. For ND to throw a 1st time starter into a situation like a crazy atmosphere at the Shoe (1st game) - IMHO- is too much to ask. That's like poking a bee hive. But as many have pointed out, OSU's NC season revolves around how much that defense improves from that POS 2021 defense

Also, I realize I'm on a ND board so you guys - I guess - are allowed to be biased. I'm actually a fan of a B1G West team that has to play OSU in the Shoe this year and believe me, I'm not looking forward to that game. They ARE STACKED

Last edited:
Remember, let’s meet back on this board at halftime and then after the game. ND will have an explosive run game. But again, this thread is about the OSU defense.

Did Michigan and the ducks dominate you on the ground??? Did they win the game???

It will be déjà vu for you in about 60 days

Why are you posting on this board with a fake handle/name???

Why are you not using your OSU board name???

Sorry not #9, he is a converted DE?
#35 EICHENBERG not that good.

I chose that clip because
#1 it’s your rival/biggest game of the year so you should be at your best.

#2 I remember those LBs getting dominated.

I am sure if I brought up highlights vs Minnesota 200 yards rushing or against

Or I could look up clips from Oregon where they gave up 269 yards rushing.
Since you keep referring to last year, you're saying schemes and coaching and putting a player in the right position don't matter? Like Knowles and his new staff is going to come in here and do the exact same thing they did last season and not improve what they're doing in a 9 month timeframe?

Remember, let’s meet back on this board at halftime and then after the game. ND will have an explosive run game. But again, this thread is about the OSU defense.

Did Michigan and the ducks dominate you on the ground??? Did they win the game???

It will be déjà vu for you in about 60 days
A couple of things I know for certain

What the OSU defense does schematically up front this year is drastically different
What they require their linebackers to do is drastically different
What they do from a coverage perspective is drastically more complex (ran one coverage all of last year, ran 10-12 alone during the spring game)
Josh Proctor is back from the broken leg he suffered early against Oregon. The guy who changes the game.
The average star ranking of the two deep on defense is 4.18-sorry talent isn't an issue
The first thing Knowles said when he got here was that the defense didn't practice hard enough-issue is fixed
There are at least 6-7 players on the two-deep that are future first round draft picks
They won't be a finished product in game one but if you think they're going to do what they did a year ago...can't help ya

Those LBs last year did not get out schemed. They got out muscled/manhandled.
But you believe the coaches will improve that? Okay cool

A couple of things I know for certain

What the OSU defense does schematically up front this year is drastically different
What they require their linebackers to do is drastically different
What they do from a coverage perspective is drastically more complex (ran one coverage all of last year, ran 10-12 alone during the spring game)
Josh Proctor is back from the broken leg he suffered early against Oregon. The guy who changes the game.
The average star ranking of the two deep on defense is 4.18-sorry talent isn't an issue
The first thing Knowles said when he got here was that the defense didn't practice hard enough-issue is fixed
There are at least 6-7 players on the two-deep that are future first round draft picks
They won't be a finished product in game one but if you think they're going to do what they did a year ago...can't help ya
Okay coach, Schematically, what will they do different?

Please, enlighten me. What scheme will these coaches run that last year’s coaches did not??

Please, enlighten me. What scheme will these coaches run that last year’s coaches did not??
I'm sure the new OSU coaching staff won't let the changes out - why are you asking him ?

Plus, you seem to have an axe to grind with OSU - pretty obvious. I do spend a ton of time on other BIG boards (Eleven Warriors, MGoBlue, and BWI) and it should be obvious that the defense should look a lot better with the new staff - can't look any worse. BTW, I am an Iowa fan and I'm not looking forward to playing them in the Shoe this year, especially after they get a bye.

I read that OSU basically gave Ryan Day a blank check to go out and get the best staff available and he went straight for OK State's Knowles who had the country's 3rd best defense (if I remember correctly) playing in the offensive minded Big 12 - or whatever they are now. They had to outbid a few other schools and ended up paying him around $2 million along with a ton of money to the defensive, hand-picked assistants.

But yet you keep pointing to last year and applying that to this year's defense. If you take a look at the recruiting rankings of OSU's back seven, they were - almost everyone - highly rated. Their position coaches - Al Washington and Kerry Coombs - just wasted that talent as I watched a few OSU games and was amazed at how many times the DBs and LBs were out of position - in many cases just standing there by themselves watching a play.

I can't stand OSU (even refuse to refer to them as tOSU). Having said that....I respect their results. Given the "horrible" defense they played last year...you know, that down year...they lost two games and finished the season with a Rose Bowl win. ND lost two games which included the Fiesta Bowl. I'm having a hard time shining the spotlight on OSU. Both teams have a new DC...not just OSU. ND's O line play was not stellar last season. They have something to proved this year. Quarterback play for ND is a ?. For OSU, its a !. They are favored for a reason. How is it that OSU was "down" last year.....and they have something to prove that ND does not?

I already told you. The coverages are multiple-they basically ran one the entire year last season. They use a JACK/LEO concept. The splits on the defensive front are variable. The calls have been simplified. Knowles is known for using the spill concept to funnel the running backs to where he wants them to go. You honestly think Knowles is running the same defense they did at Ohio State last year??

I already told you. The coverages are multiple-they basically ran one the entire year last season. They use a JACK/LEO concept. The splits on the defensive front are variable. The calls have been simplified. Knowles is known for using the spill concept to funnel the running backs to where he wants them to go. You honestly think Knowles is running the same defense they did at Ohio State last year??
Every defense funnel’s. What will the LBs be doing this season that was different than last?

OSU ran a 4-3 last year correct?

Are they running a 4-3 this season?

I'm sure the new OSU coaching staff won't let the changes out - why are you asking him ?

Plus, you seem to have an axe to grind with OSU - pretty obvious. I do spend a ton of time on other BIG boards (Eleven Warriors, MGoBlue, and BWI) and it should be obvious that the defense should look a lot better with the new staff - can't look any worse. BTW, I am an Iowa fan and I'm not looking forward to playing them in the Shoe this year, especially after they get a bye.

I read that OSU basically gave Ryan Day a blank check to go out and get the best staff available and he went straight for OK State's Knowles who had the country's 3rd best defense (if I remember correctly) playing in the offensive minded Big 12 - or whatever they are now. They had to outbid a few other schools and ended up paying him around $2 million along with a ton of money to the defensive, hand-picked assistants.

But yet you keep pointing to last year and applying that to this year's defense. If you take a look at the recruiting rankings of OSU's back seven, they were - almost everyone - highly rated. Their position coaches - Al Washington and Kerry Coombs - just wasted that talent as I watched a few OSU games and was amazed at how many times the DBs and LBs were out of position - in many cases just standing there by themselves watching a play.
“But yet you keep pointing to last year and applying that to this year's defense.”

Same personal at LB correct? Those LBs are average and they are the weakness of the team. Unless one of the new LBs (freshman) dominate the summer and earns PT, nothing will change at LB performance.

No matter what the scheme the LBs are average B10 players.

Every defense funnel’s. What will the LBs be doing this season that was different than last?

OSU ran a 4-3 last year correct?

Are they running a 4-3 this season?
They are running a 4-2-5 base nickel with 3 safeties. The personnel is the same but what they do is a lot different. Linebackers attack more than the read and react they have done forever, which let's your linebackers play faster and be more productive in games. So that right there is why they won't be the same as last season. The DL does not attack as much under Knowles and instead prefers to wall up OL's and clean up at the LOS with the front 7, which leads to opponents not rushing for many yards per game. The pre snap looks for a Knowles defenses are so confusing for offensive coordinators, you don't know where the blitzes are coming from or where the coverage is going, the guy is fantastic at calling defenses. Our defense for the past couple of seasons was so basic and vanilla, it never changed pre snap, every coordinator knew exactly what we were doing it was predictable. That's not the case anymore, it's literally the exact opposite now. There's many reasons why this years defense will not be even close to last year's defense. So looking at 2 minute clips of the Michigan game is not going to help you all that much other than making you falsely feel good.

They are running a 4-2-5 base nickel with 3 safeties. The personnel is the same but what they do is a lot different. Linebackers attack more than the read and react they have done forever, which let's your linebackers play faster and be more productive in games. So that right there is why they won't be the same as last season. The DL does not attack as much under Knowles and instead prefers to wall up OL's and clean up at the LOS with the front 7, which leads to opponents not rushing for many yards per game. The pre snap looks for a Knowles defenses are so confusing for offensive coordinators, you don't know where the blitzes are coming from or where the coverage is going, the guy is fantastic at calling defenses. Our defense for the past couple of seasons was so basic and vanilla, it never changed pre snap, every coordinator knew exactly what we were doing it was predictable. That's not the case anymore, it's literally the exact opposite now. There's many reasons why this years defense will not be even close to last year's defense. So looking at 2 minute clips of the Michigan game is not going to help you all that much other than making you falsely feel good.
According to your depth chart it’s a 3-3-5
Not a very smart defense to run in the B10. Your DC will find out quickly this is not B12 pass first football.

That is not a run stop defense. That is a defense you play against passing teams.

That’s the only reason you play 5 DBs.

Big mistake.

If Ohio St. is "absolutely loaded..," as you say, how would you define Alabama?
Just a little bit above - not much. According to this 2021 247 Composite roster talent, Alabama, Georgia and OSU are bunched at the top and have kinda separated themselves from the others. I don't believe the 2022 version has been released but I don't anticipate it changing much at all since those three finished 2,3, and 4 in the final recruiting rankings behind TAMU. This TAMU class is the one that set Saban off about buying recruits

“But yet you keep pointing to last year and applying that to this year's defense.”

Same personal at LB correct? Those LBs are average and they are the weakness of the team. Unless one of the new LBs (freshman) dominate the summer and earns PT, nothing will change at LB performance.

No matter what the scheme the LBs are average B10 players.
You act like players can't improve and coaches don't make a difference.

Let's hope that's not the case because our OL will be awful again this year.

But I think every knows that is not the case

But you keep on keeping on

The same. Ohio State and Alabama are the 2 favorites to win the NC this year. Both teams are loaded
Put Georgia right there with them But the one thing Georgia is missing (a big one) is the outstanding QB that both OSU and Alabama have. I think most of us can agree it all starts at QB

Put Georgia right there with them But the one thing Georgia is missing (a big one) is the outstanding QB that both OSU and Alabama have. I think most of us can agree it all starts at QB
I dont think Georgia will be as good this year and a step below those 2

The same. Ohio State and Alabama are the 2 favorites to win the NC this year. Both teams are loaded
I watched Ohio State play two PAC12 teams last season, one at home. One game was a loss, the other game a high scoring nail biter.

If this team is "loaded..." as you say, and the best in CFB with Alabama, then CFB is down.

I watched Ohio State play two PAC12 teams last season, one at home. One game was a loss, the other game a high scoring nail biter.

If this team is "loaded..." as you say, and the best in CFB with Alabama, then CFB is down.
Sure

If "it all starts at QB..." then Georgia contradicted that theory in 2021.

You act like players can't improve and coaches don't make a difference.

Let's hope that's not the case because our OL will be awful again this year.

But I think every knows that is not the case

But you keep on keeping on
That could be a real concern against their DL who return Zach Harrison and those two true freshmen DEs from last year - Sawyer and Tumoloiua (sp?). Sawyer and Tumoloiua were ranked the 4th and 5th overall recruits in the 2021 class and I read that they were the 2 highest ranked DEs (combined) ever signed by one school on the Composite. Both of those kids really came on strong the last part of the year. They also return 4 of their top 6 inside players. The DL will definitely be the strength of their defense.

Reactions: NENextt

They have a very good case to make as having the number 1 QB, RB and WR in the country.

Did you watch us play Toledo last year? How about FSU? If we're the same team as last year we may lose this game by 40.

Good thing we arent using last year as our only logic on this one

Although Id like to have a Rose Bowl win for the program

That could be a real concern against their DL who return Zach Harrison and those two true freshmen DEs from last year - Sawyer and Tumoloiua (sp?). Sawyer and Tumoloiua were ranked the 4th and 5th overall recruits in the 2021 class and I read that they were the 2 highest ranked DEs (combined) ever signed by one school on the Composite. Both of those kids really came on strong the last part of the year. They also return 4 of their top 6 inside players. The DL will definitely be the strength of their defense.
Our OL is going to be very good this season

Again, their defense sucked last year (especially in those games) and every Buckeye fan will admit it. Much of it was attributed to a crappy coaching job by the defensive coaches - in particular, Coombs and Washington who were both let go, They replaced their whole defensive staff with Larry Johnson being the only one that was retained

According to your depth chart it’s a 3-3-5
Not a very smart defense to run in the B10. Your DC will find out quickly this is not B12 pass first football.

That is not a run stop defense. That is a defense you play against passing teams.

That’s the only reason you play 5 DBs.

Big mistake.
I've already told you this before but Ohio State IS NOT running a 3-3-5, they never have and they aren't changing it. They are running a 4-2-5 defense with one of the DL guys being a stand up linebacker on certain obvious passing downs (that's smart). If you think Ohio State is running a 3-3-5 100% of the time I just don't know what to tell you guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT