ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech Game

FightingIrish44

ND Expert
May 7, 2009
Georgia Tech could end up being a tougher game than most expect. They finished 7-6 only last year but they gave some good teams a battle.

They lost 31-23 to Georgia but moved the ball well on the ground. It was 24-17 in the 4th against Ole Miss before Ole Miss pulled away. They had a 28-13 lead over Louisville at half before losing 39-34.

My understanding is they return 4 of 5 OL, starting running back, some decent receivers, and a dual threat 5th year QB.

Their rushing attack was the best in the ACC and they finished #8 nationally in YPC and #13 in total rushing yards. It’s going to take a lot of discipline from the LB’s in this game. Luckily Asa, Bowen, and Kiser will have gotten some valuable experience before the game.

Their defense was absolutely atrocious last year. That coordinator moved on and they replaced him with Duke’s DC/LB coach (surprised he didn’t go to A&M with Elko).

The defense was #97 in scoring defense and #123 in total defense. They will almost certainly be better than last year. If they were just below average instead of horrible, they might have pulled out the W against Louisville and Georgia and they would be getting more respect.

So they might come into the ND game with a 3-4 record but they could still be a dangerous team.

Georgia Tech could end up being a tougher game than most expect. They finished 7-6 only last year but they gave some good teams a battle.

They lost 31-23 to Georgia but moved the ball well on the ground. It was 24-17 in the 4th against Ole Miss before Ole Miss pulled away. They had a 28-13 lead over Louisville at half before losing 39-34.

My understanding is they return 4 of 5 OL, starting running back, some decent receivers, and a dual threat 5th year QB.

Their rushing attack was the best in the ACC and they finished #8 nationally in YPC and #13 in total rushing yards. It’s going to take a lot of discipline from the LB’s in this game. Luckily Asa, Bowen, and Kiser will have gotten some valuable experience before the game.

Their defense was absolutely atrocious last year. That coordinator moved on and they replaced him with Duke’s DC/LB coach (surprised he didn’t go to A&M with Elko).

The defense was #97 in scoring defense and #123 in total defense. They will almost certainly be better than last year. If they were just below average instead of horrible, they might have pulled out the W against Louisville and Georgia and they would be getting more respect.

So they might come into the ND game with a 3-4 record but they could still be a dangerous team.
If ND is a legit top 5 team, they should have zero issues with Georgia Tech.

I agree they will be a dangerous type game. Better than people think. There's no way we should lose it but I think it could be a tougher game than people think

I think that's probably our 5th-toughest game, after TX A&M, FSU, USC and Louisville. They have a competitive team and the game's in Atlanta. Last year, they beat Miami and UNC, and won their bowl game over UCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
If ND is a legit top 5 team, they should have zero issues with Georgia Tech.
Anything can happen in one game. Georgia finished #3 and #4 in the final polls as well as #6 in the final playoff poll yet Tech had a chance to get a stop and tie the game at the end.

Reactions: Golson5

Just beat TAM.

Never underestimate your opponent

I think that's probably our 5th-toughest game, after TX A&M, FSU, USC and Louisville. They have a competitive team and the game's in Atlanta. Last year, they beat Miami and UNC, and won their bowl game over UCF.
It’s so tough these days to tell with teams because of all the transfers.

I don’t know what exactly the teams return but I’m going to go with Georgia Tech over Louisville. They’ll have improved coaching on defense and they bring back so much on offense.

I’m predicting a Georgia Tech win over Louisville assuming no major injuries. They play the week before ND and Louisville meet.

I don’t know what exactly the teams return but I’m going to go with Georgia Tech over Louisville. They’ll have improved coaching on defense and they bring back so much on offense.

I’m predicting a Georgia Tech win over Louisville assuming no major injuries. They play the week before ND and Louisville meet.
Yeah, I suppose that's possible, if GTech continues improving and Louisville takes a step back from last year. Apparently Louisville brought in another 24-year-old transfer QB; this guy's from Texas Tech, where he had average stats.

Last edited:

Sounds like a trap game for Louisville. I'll be at the GT game with my 12yr old son (his first ND game), very much looking forward to it!

"If ND is a legit top 5 team, they should have zero issues with Georgia Tech"

Many people on this board said the same thing about Marshall even after playing OSU.

Take each game at face value and be prepared.
I agree, but let me clarify my statement. If ND is prepared and well coached for this game, they should have zero issues with Georgia Tech

Reactions: Kelso86
I agree, but let me clarify my statement. If ND is prepared and well coached for this game, they should have zero issues with Georgia Tech
What constitutes zero issues? A 14 point lead going into the 4th and winning by 21 points wouldn’t constitute zero issues to me. The losing team still had a reasonable chance of winning going into the 4th. I’m just curious.

Georgia is in the very top tier in terms of recruiting and coaching and only won by 8 last year. It happens. Turnovers can make any game interesting.

What constitutes zero issues? A 14 point lead going into the 4th and winning by 21 points wouldn’t constitute zero issues to me. The losing team still had a reasonable chance of winning going into the 4th. I’m just curious.

Georgia is in the very top tier in terms of recruiting and coaching and only won by 8 last year. It happens. Turnovers can make any game interesting.
Notre Dame's roster is far more talented than Georgia Techs. If ND is well prepared, coached, and focused for this game they should have no issues with this game.

ND has struggled against less talented teams when they've come out flat, have lost focused, and/or were poorly prepared/coached.

Notre Dame's roster is far more talented than Georgia Techs. If ND is well prepared, coached, and focused for this game they should have no issues with this game.

ND has struggled against less talented teams when they've come out flat, have lost focused, and/or were poorly prepared/coached.
Those are big IF’s and they’re Indeterminate at this point in time

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ

There is no reason ND should not win all their games. Will they? There are no guarantees. Thats why you play the games. You have to come to play every game. Thats why you have games like Marshall and Tulsa from years past. Thats another reason star ratings do not always matter. No one in the past would have ever thought Appalachian State would beat Michigan . Just take each game at a time. No sense worrying about Georgia Tech when have not even played Texas A&M.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT