ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan

VS. Utah

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

I do not expect a ground oriented game to be as successful as you. It has to be a balanced offense with heavy use of screens and rpos vs a power run game. OSU will not load the box. Running the new version of the 335 the DC usually ties the line up then has everyone crash runners and out umber blockers to address the run.

What OSU did against Michigan last year means nothing.

I think the running backs and Buchner will have a good day, but I expect a lot more misdirection and screen game coupled with downfield shots to keep the offense moving. The OSU secondary was the Achilles last year we have to challenge them to expose the underbelly.

I do not expect a ground oriented game to be as successful as you. It has to be a balanced offense with heavy use of screens and rpos vs a power run game. OSU will not load the box. Running the new version of the 335 the DC usually ties the line up then has everyone crash runners and out umber blockers to address the run.

What OSU did against Michigan last year means nothing.

I think the running backs and Buchner will have a good day, but I expect a lot more misdirection and screen game coupled with downfield shots to keep the offense moving. The OSU secondary was the Achilles last year we have to challenge them to expose the underbelly.
What Michigan did last year means nothing???

So how are you judging this years ND team? How are you judging the "good things" about this ND team??? You, like everyone else, are going off of what you saw last season. You absolutely look at the previous season to get an idea what to expect in the new season.

1. Why is everyone in the country so high on the OSU passing game/QB? Because Stroud played so well last year.

2. Why are there concerns about the ND secondary this season?? Because of how bad they looked in a lot of games last season.

So yes, you can look at the Michigan and Utah games from last year in order to make a judgment on the OSU defense.

Last edited:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

VS. Michigan

VS. Utah

OSU has the best or second best running back in the country

How will ND fare in the red zone....and how often will they get there? tOSU will hang 30-40 points in this game....that is the benchmark that Notre Dame will face. 20 or 30 points will not win this game.

Reactions: lennell73 and d1042
OSU has the best or second best running back in the country
Who? Henderson? Yup, fast hits the hole well. However, I stand by my statement, OSU does not have a great run game.

Last edited:
Their passing offense is going to cause us problems. OSU put up almost 400 on us in the air.
I agree with you. That is why controlling the clock wit the run game and getting a good pass rush is essential.

I’m just going into this with the idea that it could very well be a lop-sided game—new coach, new QB, untested WRs, on the road in hostile environment.

OSU is a beatable team. A very good team but a beatable team.

1. ND will rush for more yards than OSU. I am thinking 250 minimum.
2. ND will have at least 3 sacks
3. ND will win TO and TOP

ND 40
OSU 31

Reactions: IrishMike409
OSU is a beatable team. A very good team but a beatable team.

1. ND will rush for more yards than OSU. I am thinking 250 minimum.
2. ND will have at least 3 sacks
3. ND will win TO and TOP

ND 40
OSU 31
Are Hiestand OLines known for their pass or run focus? I’m trying to remember, but I think it’s run, right?

• Wow
Reactions: tbonesays
The issues with Ohio State were absolutely scheme and technique, it was not personnel I don't know where you are getting that idea from.

So for the last few seasons, the defense was being coordinated by Kerry Coombs, he was our former DB's coach from Meyers stint in Columbus, but he left after the 2017 season to join the Titans. He returned to Ohio State in 2020 after Jeff Hafley went to BC. Most OSU fans were excited for him to come back as DC.

Well it turns out the defense was extremely basic for the last 2 seasons. No variety of pre snap looks on defense, it was the same 4-3 and 4-2-5 lineup across the board every single time, with no blitzes and man to man coverage 90+% of the time. Offenses (with talent) started to catch on and were able to attack the weak points. Think Alabama in the title game where OSU still trotted out 3 and 4 linebackers against Bama's excellent receiving corps.

Technique and fundamentals were terrible as well. Some of Ohio State's worst tackling and angles for a defense ever were on display the past two years. Corners never looked back for the ball either. Turnovers were rarely every forced. Coombs got demoted from being a DC after the week 2 Oregon loss and Matt Barnes takes over (safeties coach). It was like putting a piece of tape over a leaky pipe. Ohio State never really had an identity for the past couple of seasons on defense and it showed.

Enter Jim Knowles, excellent coordinator and play caller that turned Oklahoma State's defense into something special. They are an attacking defense, completely different from the bend but don't break, read and react defense that Ohio State had been running. Oklahoma State was among the tops in the country in turnovers, 3rd down conversation rate, run ypg, pass ypg, basically all the meaningful stats. His defenses have a lot of pre snap looks, he utilizes a DE that plays with a hand in the dirt and stands up behind the LOS creating a sort of 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 look. It's also a 3 safety look where the safeties don't stay in the same spot every snap. The defense blitzes a lot, linebackers get sacks in this defense, something Ohio State linebackers never got. Last year they had 2 sacks all season because they never blitzed, meanwhile Oklahoma State linebackers had 14 sacks on the year.

Lastly personnel. So Ohio State was also a really young team last year, one of the youngest in the country. They return a lot of talent and they are a lot more veteran now. I believe they return like 7 starters on offense and 7 on defense, but they rotated a lot (almost too much) and have a lot of quality depth on the team. You seem to imply that OSU has a talent problem if you're talking about personnel, but OSU is going to be one of the most talented teams in the country this year. Their 2020-2022 classes were all very strong, the 2021 class in particular had something like 6-7 five star players in it and they are now sophomores. I mean the starting DE duo is likely going to be 5* guys in Jack Sawyer and JT Tuimoloau, both sophomores. The rest of the defense is littered with 5*s and top 100 players. They bring back literally every DL and LB and DB that contributed anything to the defense last year except 1 DE and 1 DT and 1 Safety. Look at the past 3-4 recruiting classes if you want to see how much talent is on the team.

Also you mentioned that Ohio State's running game was mediocre last year, that is true. We have a talented RB but we could not run block last season. That was mainly due to the fact we played 4 true tackle bodies along the line, 2 at tackle and 2 at guard. Taller guys playing on the interior can't bend and generate enough leverage in the run game to excel and it showed. Well Ohio State fired their OL coach and replaced him with Justin Frye from UCLA who had good run games there. Apparently there was a riff between Day and our old OL coach (really lazy guy) on how they wanted to coach the OL in blocking schemes, well now the new guy will teach them and the OL is finally going back to having actual guard bodies on the interior. So naturally you would expect the running game to be better with a Heisman contender in the backfield.

And lastly, you mention that you think ND will run for 250-300 yards and you say that pretty confidently based on last year's results. While I don't think they run for anywhere near that much, even the run blocking is going to be changing on this team. So Ohio State's DL under Larry Johnson has always been an attacking one. You beat your man and tackle the ball carries. More work for the DL, less for the linebackers. But under Knowles it's the exact opposite. The DL walls up the OL, And the linebackers find the ball carrier and bring him down.

The whole defense is just fundamentally different, and there's nothing you can look at last year and try to exploit this season because it's just not the same. The Ohio State defensive coaches can't look at last year's tape on Jack Coan and then prepare for a mobile QB that's probably more likely to run than throw. Trying to blame all the failures on personnel is so very far from the truth, they are great talented players playing in a very shitty and basic scheme, often times out of position.

The issues with Ohio State were absolutely scheme and technique, it was not personnel I don't know where you are getting that idea from.

So for the last few seasons, the defense was being coordinated by Kerry Coombs, he was our former DB's coach from Meyers stint in Columbus, but he left after the 2017 season to join the Titans. He returned to Ohio State in 2020 after Jeff Hafley went to BC. Most OSU fans were excited for him to come back as DC.

Well it turns out the defense was extremely basic for the last 2 seasons. No variety of pre snap looks on defense, it was the same 4-3 and 4-2-5 lineup across the board every single time, with no blitzes and man to man coverage 90+% of the time. Offenses (with talent) started to catch on and were able to attack the weak points. Think Alabama in the title game where OSU still trotted out 3 and 4 linebackers against Bama's excellent receiving corps.

Technique and fundamentals were terrible as well. Some of Ohio State's worst tackling and angles for a defense ever were on display the past two years. Corners never looked back for the ball either. Turnovers were rarely every forced. Coombs got demoted from being a DC after the week 2 Oregon loss and Matt Barnes takes over (safeties coach). It was like putting a piece of tape over a leaky pipe. Ohio State never really had an identity for the past couple of seasons on defense and it showed.

Enter Jim Knowles, excellent coordinator and play caller that turned Oklahoma State's defense into something special. They are an attacking defense, completely different from the bend but don't break, read and react defense that Ohio State had been running. Oklahoma State was among the tops in the country in turnovers, 3rd down conversation rate, run ypg, pass ypg, basically all the meaningful stats. His defenses have a lot of pre snap looks, he utilizes a DE that plays with a hand in the dirt and stands up behind the LOS creating a sort of 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 look. It's also a 3 safety look where the safeties don't stay in the same spot every snap. The defense blitzes a lot, linebackers get sacks in this defense, something Ohio State linebackers never got. Last year they had 2 sacks all season because they never blitzed, meanwhile Oklahoma State linebackers had 14 sacks on the year.

Lastly personnel. So Ohio State was also a really young team last year, one of the youngest in the country. They return a lot of talent and they are a lot more veteran now. I believe they return like 7 starters on offense and 7 on defense, but they rotated a lot (almost too much) and have a lot of quality depth on the team. You seem to imply that OSU has a talent problem if you're talking about personnel, but OSU is going to be one of the most talented teams in the country this year. Their 2020-2022 classes were all very strong, the 2021 class in particular had something like 6-7 five star players in it and they are now sophomores. I mean the starting DE duo is likely going to be 5* guys in Jack Sawyer and JT Tuimoloau, both sophomores. The rest of the defense is littered with 5*s and top 100 players. They bring back literally every DL and LB and DB that contributed anything to the defense last year except 1 DE and 1 DT and 1 Safety. Look at the past 3-4 recruiting classes if you want to see how much talent is on the team.

Also you mentioned that Ohio State's running game was mediocre last year, that is true. We have a talented RB but we could not run block last season. That was mainly due to the fact we played 4 true tackle bodies along the line, 2 at tackle and 2 at guard. Taller guys playing on the interior can't bend and generate enough leverage in the run game to excel and it showed. Well Ohio State fired their OL coach and replaced him with Justin Frye from UCLA who had good run games there. Apparently there was a riff between Day and our old OL coach (really lazy guy) on how they wanted to coach the OL in blocking schemes, well now the new guy will teach them and the OL is finally going back to having actual guard bodies on the interior. So naturally you would expect the running game to be better with a Heisman contender in the backfield.

And lastly, you mention that you think ND will run for 250-300 yards and you say that pretty confidently based on last year's results. While I don't think they run for anywhere near that much, even the run blocking is going to be changing on this team. So Ohio State's DL under Larry Johnson has always been an attacking one. You beat your man and tackle the ball carries. More work for the DL, less for the linebackers. But under Knowles it's the exact opposite. The DL walls up the OL, And the linebackers find the ball carrier and bring him down.

The whole defense is just fundamentally different, and there's nothing you can look at last year and try to exploit this season because it's just not the same. The Ohio State defensive coaches can't look at last year's tape on Jack Coan and then prepare for a mobile QB that's probably more likely to run than throw. Trying to blame all the failures on personnel is so very far from the truth, they are great talented players playing in a very shitty and basic scheme, often times out of position.
If you wanna see how average the OSU LBs are, then you need to watch highlights of the Mich/OSU game.

This is a 2min clip

This is a very brief example of how average the LBs are. Watch #22 Chambers their starting WILL.

Small and gets dominated consistently.

This is just one example.

Who? Henderson? Yup, fast hits the hole well. However, I stand by my statement, OSU does not have a great run game.
Yeah Henderson. He is a stud. Him or the Texas kid are the 2 best backs in the country. Hes special

You can keep saying they dont have a great run game. I disagree.

Henderson had 1248 yards last year on 6.8 ypc. When they want to run, they can. Its a pick your poison. Jhst because they choose to throw doesnt mean their run game isnt great. 7ypc is elite

If you wanna see how average the OSU LBs are, then you need to watch highlights of the Mich/OSU game.

This is a 2min clip

This is a very brief example of how average the LBs are. Watch #22 Chambers their starting WILL.

Small and gets dominated consistently.

This is just one example.
Why are you singleing out one game and using a 2 minute clip to back up your argument?

You watched that game right???? I could show you 20 clips from just that 1 game.

That poor display of LB play had nothing to do with technique and coaching. OSU was dominated upfront by Michigan. #22 is a liability and NO DC will change that.

Thanks for letting us know what to prepare for ... LOL......on that note I have a couple of guys that worked for me that are close friends with CJ Stroud.... great young man! Will probably go 1 or 2 in the draft! IMO.....

Thank You Mrs. Day.

• Haha
Reactions: irishalice
What Michigan did last year means nothing???

So how are you judging this years ND team? How are you judging the "good things" about this ND team??? You, like everyone else, are going off of what you saw last season. You absolutely look at the previous season to get an idea what to expect in the new season.

1. Why is everyone in the country so high on the OSU passing game/QB? Because Stroud played so well last year.

2. Why are there concerns about the ND secondary this season?? Because of how bad they looked in a lot of games last season.

So yes, you can look at the Michigan and Utah games from last year in order to make a judgment on the OSU defense.
New DC an all new scheme and 4 new starters. Yeah it means nothing.

Naw bro. Your secondary sucks.

Naw bro. Your secondary sucks.
Safeties will have some questions but Ohio State was pretty good at corner last year. They have 4 guys this year they can rotate at corner. The presumptive starters Cam Brown and Denzel Burke, and talented sophomores JK Johnson and Jordan Hancock. The corner room is a strength for the defense.

Safeties will have some questions but Ohio State was pretty good at corner last year. They have 4 guys this year they can rotate at corner. The presumptive starters Cam Brown and Denzel Burke, and talented sophomores JK Johnson and Jordan Hancock. The corner room is a strength for the defense.
Yeah coming from a school that has corner issues...I'd be very concerned moving to a 3-3-5 when the weakness of your team is safeties...

We did it some last year and the results were lots of 5 yard gains given up. It's going to take OSU two to three years to adapt to this scheme....

Yeah coming from a school that has corner issues...I'd be very concerned moving to a 3-3-5 when the weakness of your team is safeties...

We did it some last year and the results were lots of 5 yard gains given up. It's going to take OSU two to three years to adapt to this scheme....
OSU is running a 4-2-5 not a 3-3-5. There may be 3 safeties but really the third safety is more of a nickel corner. Personnel wise it's exactly the same as last year, no new positions are really being created. The learning curve isn't that great, it's not like the defense is undergoing a complete change like you would see going from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

Why are you singleing out one game and using a 2 minute clip to back up your argument?
You watched that game right???? I could show you 20 clips from just that 1 game.

That poor display of LB play had nothing to do with technique and coaching. OSU was dominated upfront by Michigan. #22 is a liability and NO DC will change that.

They have a lot of talent. They will be fine. We're going to have to play great to win

Reactions: IrishMike409
With their talent and an improved DC, I don't see why their defense won't be much improved
Correct me if I’m wrong:

Kerry Coombs was he DC when they played Bama in the championship in 2020? Beat Clemson 49-28 in the semifinals. What changed??? Personal changed. This current OSU personal on defense is the weakest it has been in years. Especially at LB.​

Correct me if I’m wrong:

Kerry Coombs was he DC when they played Bama in the championship in 2020? Beat Clemson 49-28 in the semifinals. What changed??? Personal changed. This current OSU personal on defense is the weakest it has been in years. Especially at LB.​

The way Michigans vaunted offensive line was manhandled by Georgia highlights OSUs subpar defense!

Reactions: Zorich 88
The way Michigans vaunted offensive line was manhandled by Georgia highlights OSUs subpar defense!
Every team has a weakness. OSU has problems stopping the run game. The LBs are vulnerable. Unless the new DC finds away to hide his LBs weaknesses, ND will rush for 250plus.

OSU is running a 4-2-5 not a 3-3-5. There may be 3 safeties but really the third safety is more of a nickel corner. Personnel wise it's exactly the same as last year, no new positions are really being created. The learning curve isn't that great, it's not like the defense is undergoing a complete change like you would see going from a 3-4 to a 4-3.
It is a 100% change. The difference between a 335 and 425 is literally the edge having a hand on the ground.

Every single stop Knowles has had has regressed in year one. It's a VERY complicated assignment defense that takes time to implement.

I'd be A lot more concerned.

Every team has a weakness. OSU has problems stopping the run game. The LBs are vulnerable. Unless the new DC finds away to hide his LBs weaknesses, ND will rush for 250plus.
Ohio State finished better than Notre Dame did in defensive rushing ypg and yards per attempt, as well as rushing first downs given up per game. Spare me with this weakness bull crap, if our rush defense is weak then so is your teams.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/stats/

Vegas is saying that the score will be 36-22, but that can change with circumstances.

It is a 100% change. The difference between a 335 and 425 is literally the edge having a hand on the ground.

Every single stop Knowles has had has regressed in year one. It's a VERY complicated assignment defense that takes time to implement.

I'd be A lot more concerned.
We never ran a 3-3-5 and Knowles doesn't either. He runs a 4-2-5 with one of the DEs having the capability to stand up and rush from anywhere around the line, they call it a "Leo" position. Ohio State is no stranger to that, it's something they've tried in recent memory with Chase Young. You're making this out to be a wholesale change and it's not.

Ohio State finished better than Notre Dame did in defensive rushing ypg and yards per attempt, as well as rushing first downs given up per game. Spare me with this weakness bull crap, if our rush defense is weak then so is your teams.

You can point out any and all weaknesses ND has or had. You should be doing that. I started this thread to show OSU does have weaknesses. If you honestly don’t believe they have any weaknesses your blind by your love for OSU.

To simply say “they had a bad game” vs Michigan is ridiculous. They were exposed that day. You and all the OSU fans are hoping your new DC is the savior of the Buckeye universe. Yup, he did good at OK St but OSU has personal issues on defense.

The Buckeyes will have to 100% rely on the offense to win games.

Last edited:

Qbs are what did nd in last year with rushing D, not running backs. If stroud comes out running the ball all over, I’ll be shocked and concerned.
Ohio state at times struggled with a straight running game by backs.

You can point out any and all weaknesses ND has or had. You should be doing that. I started this thread to show OSU does have weaknesses. If you honestly don’t believe they have any weaknesses your blind by your love for OSU.

To simply say “they had a bad game” vs Michigan is ridiculous. They were exposed that day. You and all the OSU fans are hoping your new DC is the savior of the Buckeye universe. Yup, he did good at OK St but OSU has personal issues on defense.

The Buckeyes will have to 100% really on the offense to win games.
100% on offense is a bit extreme. They have talent on D. Yes their offense will be better than their D but teams aren’t going to average 30ppg against them

Qbs are what did nd in last year with rushing D, not running backs. If stroud comes out running the ball all over, I’ll be shocked and concerned.
Ohio state at times struggled with a straight running game by backs.
Your right, they won’t give up 30 points a game. Why? Because outside of Notre Dane and Michigan they have a pretty easy schedule.

My point, OSU will not win games because of their defense.

I will stand by my assessment that the OSU run defense has problems.

I will also stand by my prediction that ND will rush for over 250 yards on OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT