ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

As far as the run/pass question, we should have a different looking offense this year, compared to last. Because our new QB runs a lot better than the old one (and isn't as polished of a passer). So I'm expecting Rees to alter the style of play, compared to what we did with Coan last year. I expect Buchner to run the ball at least 10-15 times/game.

The Bama/osu fanboys on this board make me 🤮
I'm an OSU fan who likes to visit other team's fan boards. I may disagree with comments at times, may give an OSU fan's perspective to things you guys bring up, but certainly not here to trash talk.

Like most fans- you all included, I hope my team plays well, carries over their strengths from the previous season, and fixes their deficiencies.

Specific to this thread, the hope is the Buckeye defense is better. Scheme and coaching were part of it, and the players on the field were the other. From a recruiting perspective, they all were highly rated with above average athleticism, but they didn't perform that way. James Laurinaitis who had a radio show here and is now in South Bend, brought up that a 4.4-4.5 guy who plays out of position or doesn't react fast enough, performs like a 4.8-4.9 guy. I think that plagued the defense last season, especially the linebackers.

Most reasonable OSU fans (yes, they do exist) would love to have a top 10 D this season, but don't expect it. We do expect it to be improved as there was a combination of inexperience on the defensive side and the experienced players were guys who never really performed as underclassmen. This season the talented younger players should be replacing some of the underperformers who are still on the team. As I said, the expectation isn't for the D to be top 10 or even top 20, just good enough so that the points the offense scores is enough to win the games against quality opponents.

Hate me if you will, but I look forward to the discussions as the start of the season gets closer.

They had massive problems on defense in 2018 and rebounded with one of the best defenses in 2019.

they have a lot of talent and a lot of experience and production back.

Reactions: NENextt
I'm an OSU fan who likes to visit other team's fan boards. I may disagree with comments at times, may give an OSU fan's perspective to things you guys bring up, but certainly not here to trash talk.

Like most fans- you all included, I hope my team plays well, carries over their strengths from the previous season, and fixes their deficiencies.

Specific to this thread, the hope is the Buckeye defense is better. Scheme and coaching were part of it, and the players on the field were the other. From a recruiting perspective, they all were highly rated with above average athleticism, but they didn't perform that way. James Laurinaitis who had a radio show here and is now in South Bend, brought up that a 4.4-4.5 guy who plays out of position or doesn't react fast enough, performs like a 4.8-4.9 guy. I think that plagued the defense last season, especially the linebackers.

Most reasonable OSU fans (yes, they do exist) would love to have a top 10 D this season, but don't expect it. We do expect it to be improved as there was a combination of inexperience on the defensive side and the experienced players were guys who never really performed as underclassmen. This season the talented younger players should be replacing some of the underperformers who are still on the team. As I said, the expectation isn't for the D to be top 10 or even top 20, just good enough so that the points the offense scores is enough to win the games against quality opponents.

Hate me if you will, but I look forward to the discussions as the start of the season gets closer.
I don't hate you. Not close. I just don't understand CFB fans visiting opposing team's fan boards.

I can not imagine snooping around an OSU football fan board.

That said, to each their own.

I don't hate you. Not close. I just don't understand CFB fans visiting opposing team's fan boards.

I can not imagine snooping around an OSU football fan board.

That said, to each their own.
They are more knowledgeable about their own team than we are. I dont see a problem going over there for good discussion. Or for fun trash talk

The people that go to other boards to troll and start arguments is something I dont get

You can also say none of those teams had near the talent of osu so he'll be starting in a much better spot

No one knows for sure whats going to happen with their D

They have the talent and the coach to have an elite defense

They are also learning a new scheme so it could take some time.

Either one is plausible

We wont find out til sept but either outcome would not be a surprise at all
Talent doesn't put you in the right spot. Talent doesn't tell you where the help is. Talent doesn't tell you who to cover if they go up reading run.

You are arguing in a circle... Their talent does not in anyway make up for the complexity of the blitz schemes Knowles runs.

Talent doesn't put you in the right spot. Talent doesn't tell you where the help is. Talent doesn't tell you who to cover if they go up reading run.

You are arguing in a circle... Their talent does not in anyway make up for the complexity of the blitz schemes Knowles runs.
Talent for sure makes up for a lot. Speed and athleticism make up for a lot of mistakes.

Can they be atrocious in their assignments and have talent cover that up, no. But talent can cover up some assignment and technical mistakes that his previous teams couldn't, absolutely

They are more knowledgeable about their own team than we are. I dont see a problem going over there for good discussion. Or for fun trash talk

The people that go to other boards to troll and start arguments is something I dont get
So why are you in this board trolling ND! 😂🤣😂🤣

You can point out any and all weaknesses ND has or had. You should be doing that. I started this thread to show OSU does have weaknesses. If you honestly don’t believe they have any weaknesses your blind by your love for OSU.

To simply say “they had a bad game” vs Michigan is ridiculous. They were exposed that day. You and all the OSU fans are hoping your new DC is the savior of the Buckeye universe. Yup, he did good at OK St but OSU has personal issues on defense.

The Buckeyes will have to 100% really on the offense to win games.
We can do that

Yup, OSU can score points, I get it. However, my point is they give up a lot of points.
Z
you know bowl games are crazy; nothing can be gleaned from them beyond that single day.

Based upon the talent evaluators tOSU roster is loaded with talent. On paper the talent evaluation would favor tOSU.

Last edited:
Most interesting will be the battle up front with the Ohio State DL vs the Notre Dame OL. Ohio State has what amounts to four five-stars up front that are all true sophomores but a lot of depth and seniority behind them (former five stars Zac Harrison and Taron Vincent come to mind). Guessing Sawyer, JT Tuimoloau, Mike Hall and Tyleik Williams will start ahead of some older kids just because they're wildly talented. I know one of the things that schematically they will do is turn these guys loose hells bells because of what they require the linebackers and secondary to do so as Knowles described them in the spring they come at you like a wave. Notre Dame def has some dudes up front with Patterson, Alt and Fisher. With the sophomore bookends from Ohio State against the sophomore tackles from ND, this could be the first of two years worth of battles and future first round draft picks. The Ohio State line gave the OSU OL problems all spring and Knowles said that was the one unit that was better than he thought they would be coming to OSU. No doubt, the strength of the defense and collectively as good a front as there should be in college football this year.

I agree, coaching changes can work. However, I will continue to question the talent OSU has at LB.
Tommy Eichenberg is a lot better than you think and with some actual coaching and scheming this year he could be a beast. 18 tackles in the Rose Bowl, just took over the 2nd half. Steele Chambers a former 4 star RB that was in his first year playing LB last year did pretty well all things considered and I expect him to be more than serviceable this year. Cody Simon was one of the best linebackers in the country a few years ago but was ravaged with injuries last year-if he's healthy he's really good. If they go to the 3 linebacker look with the SAM against 12 personnel I'd expect former four star LB Reid Carrico to take that position first but they also have former 5 star Palaie Gaoteote. Not sure how much you'll see of 5 star freshman CJ Hicks in the first game but he's on the way. They also have a former 5 star in Terajda Mitchell as one of the main backups. So it's not a talent issue. With Knowles personally coaching the linebackers, it will be fascinating to see how fast he can get them to play at a high level.

Simply put, Al Washington was a horrible LB coach, out of position, in a broken defense schematically last year. Just god awful-he had no business coaching that unit. I think Knowles is going to make a world of difference for the better.

You can blame a coach for anything and everything. However, there is a thing called player accountability. Those LBs had a bad season last year. It didn’t matter who the coach was, those players looked and played bad.

Will things look different this season? They should play better but it will not be a complete 180. LB will be a problem all season for the Buckeye’s.

Z
you know bowl games are crazy; nothing can be gleaned from them beyond that single day.

Based upon the talent evaluators tOSU roster is loaded with talent. On paper the talent evaluation would favor tOSU.
You only have to be the best team that day.

You can blame a coach for anything and everything. However, there is a thing called player accountability. Those LBs had a bad season last year. It didn’t matter who the coach was, those players looked and played bad.

Will things look different this season? They should play better but it will not be a complete 180. LB will be a problem all season for the Buckeye’s.
Please. Coaches put players in the right position to succeed and if they don't they get fired like the defensive staff did after game 2. It got so bad at the end of the year that the players ignored the coaches and just started freelancing because they completely lost all faith in what they were doing. They will be a much better defense this year i.e., top 25. In 2023 they'll be one of the elite in the nation. They don't have to be Georgia with the top offense in the country.

“Hate me if you will, but I look forward to the discussions as the start of the season gets closer.”

klemman, I wasn’t really referring to rival fans. I was talking about some of our own ND fans that are constantly getting down on their knees for Bama and/or osu. I have no problem w/ rival fans that wanna talk about upcoming games. I’m sure it’s gonna get pretty ugly in here as the game gets closer but I’d be more than happy to talk about matchups and predictions w/ some buckeyes.

Let’s just take the Michigan game. What did the coaches do wrong??? I can show you multiple plays where the OSU defensive player was simply bullied and dominated.

Last edited:

Thanks for your input.

Talent for sure makes up for a lot. Speed and athleticism make up for a lot of mistakes.

Can they be atrocious in their assignments and have talent cover that up, no. But talent can cover up some assignment and technical mistakes that his previous teams couldn't, absolutely
Lol they had talent last year. They don't know how to play defense together. They didn't know their assignments last year. Now they have a new more aggressive scheme.

Please. Coaches put players in the right position to succeed and if they don't they get fired like the defensive staff did after game 2. It got so bad at the end of the year that the players ignored the coaches and just started freelancing because they completely lost all faith in what they were doing. They will be a much better defense this year i.e., top 25. In 2023 they'll be one of the elite in the nation. They don't have to be Georgia with the top offense in the country.
Are you honestly saying you have zero concerns with the OSU defense? Same LBs will equal same results.

Your right, they won’t give up 30 points a game. Why? Because outside of Notre Dane and Michigan they have a pretty easy schedule.
Penn State , Michigan State, and Wisconsin will be far from easy games.

As an aside MSU, in its last 19 games dating back to 1997 is 11-8 vs ND. Similarly, Penn State in the modern era from 1976 forward is 9-6 vs ND. Wisconsin post WWII is 2-2. Just sayin.

As an aside MSU, in its last 19 games dating back to 1997 is 11-8 vs ND. Similarly, Penn State in the modern era from 1976 forward is 9-6 vs ND. Wisconsin post WWII is 2-2. Just sayin.
Wisconsin, come on. Them and Mich st wont be difficult games at all for Osu

Reactions: rrdd2021

Yawn!

First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.
#1 Clearly, you did not watch the OSU spring game if you believe this drivel about the defense.

#2 OSU averaged 5.5 ypc good for #3 in the nation. That is well beyond "average"

#3 You claim OSU never loads the box. You PRETEND the new DC has the same philosophy and mindset ignoring COMPLETELY his career body of work.

#4 Your ENTIRE rant, is based on having the same defense staff with the same approach. You are in for a VERY rude awakening.

Finally, OSU has for the last 4 consecutive seasons recruited at an ELITE level the very idea that you think it's a lack of athlete's question shows that you know absolutely NOTHING about recruiting. 2020 #5 class, 2021 #2 class 2022 #4 class.

First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.
You might have a point except the ND running game is well, calling it pathetic would be a compliment.

I did a DEEP dive on the ND running game and it is actually WORSE than its pathetic #83 ND didn't face good run defense. You did manage 150 against, #32 Navy who is top 50 but it's NAVY. Oh, and by the way, they are ranked BELOW the oh-so-bad OSU rush defense (#28).

Your offensive run game last season SUCKED ARSE PAL. The fact that you have the laughable audacity to compare the ND ground game to 2 top 15 rush offenses shows that you are utterly CLUELESS.

You can point out any and all weaknesses ND has or had. You should be doing that. I started this thread to show OSU does have weaknesses. If you honestly don’t believe they have any weaknesses your blind by your love for OSU.

To simply say “they had a bad game” vs Michigan is ridiculous. They were exposed that day. You and all the OSU fans are hoping your new DC is the savior of the Buckeye universe. Yup, he did good at OK St but OSU has personal issues on defense.

The Buckeyes will have to 100% rely on the offense to win games.
ND wont be able to score more than 24 and that wont even be nearly enough to win

OSU 52
ND 24

#1 Clearly, you did not watch the OSU spring game if you believe this drivel about the defense.

#2 OSU averaged 5.5 ypc good for #3 in the nation. That is well beyond "average"

#3 You claim OSU never loads the box. You PRETEND the new DC has the same philosophy and mindset ignoring COMPLETELY his career body of work.

#4 Your ENTIRE rant, is based on having the same defense staff with the same approach. You are in for a VERY rude awakening.

Finally, OSU has for the last 4 consecutive seasons recruited at an ELITE level the very idea that you think it's a lack of athlete's question shows that you know absolutely NOTHING about recruiting. 2020 #5 class, 2021 #2 class 2022 #4 class.
Spring Game????? You are putting confidence in a scrimmage???????

Lets look at some of those games.
Minnesota OSU gave up 31 points and 200 rushing yards. 400 total yards.

Oregon 35 points, 269 yards passing. Over 500 total yards.

Michigan 297 yards rushing

Please, please load the box against ND. Mayer will have over 200 receiving yards. But your new Big12 DC never loaded the box at OK State. He won

You have the same average overmatched LBs. Nothing will change unless you change player personal.

Let’s do this, come back here on game day and through out the game. Let’s see who is experiencing a rude awakening

You might have a point except the ND running game is well, calling it pathetic would be a compliment.

I did a DEEP dive on the ND running game and it is actually WORSE than its pathetic #83 ND didn't face good run defense. You did manage 150 against, #32 Navy who is top 50 but it's NAVY. Oh, and by the way, they are ranked BELOW the oh-so-bad OSU rush defense (#28).

Your offensive run game last season SUCKED ARSE PAL. The fact that you have the laughable audacity to compare the ND ground game to 2 top 15 rush offenses shows that you are utterly CLUELESS.
This ND Oline will be the best Oline OSU plays all season. ND will rush for 250-300 yards

Also, why did you create a fake account just to troll this board??? You have approximately 4 post to your name. All 4 on this board.

Why not use the same handle you use on the OSU board??? Maybe because when everything you are saying is proven wrong you can simply hide under your real name????

Coward!!!!

Spring Game????? You are putting confidence in a scrimmage???????

Lets look at some of those games.
Minnesota OSU gave up 31 points and 200 rushing yards. 400 total yards.

Oregon 35 points, 269 yards passing. Over 500 total yards.

Michigan 297 yards rushing

Please, please load the box against ND. Mayer will have over 200 receiving yards. But your new Big12 DC never loaded the box at OK State. He won

You have the same average overmatched LBs. Nothing will change unless you change player personal.

Let’s do this, come back here on game day and through out the game. Let’s see who is experiencing a rude awakening
#2 He was talking about OSUs run game. It's very good. You acted like they were average running the ball

They did have the number 1 or 2 LB class in the country. And all the guys are a year older and will be coached better.

They will be better on defense than last year

#2 He was talking about OSUs run game. It's very good. You acted like they were average running the ball

They did have the number 1 or 2 LB class in the country. And all the guys are a year older and will be coached better.

They will be better on defense than last year
No they won't. Their issues on defense are tied to the recruits they have. There is no leader to get them in position, they freelance, they play out of position. The new defense is actually very similar to the old defense only more complex. I expect 1 step forward two back this year... In three years this defense will be elite but not close this year.

Reactions: Zorich 88
First, I have no side in the ND-OSU game this year. Should be a good one to watch, however.

But I do disagree with the title of this thread - OSU has real problems on defense. I agree that last year (and 2020) their defense was a total disaster. But didn't they replace the whole defensive staff minus their DL coach (can't think of his name) and I think he's ancient and close to retiring. I believe OSU shelled out a ton of money to get those coaches.,,,,2 million (?) to the new DC. Didn't they also fire one of their offensive position coaches ?

My point: I'm in a wait and see mode with OSU's defense. Let's be honest, they can't be any worse than 2020 and 2021. If they - and a BIG IF - can field just a little above average defense this year, they have the offensive fire power to win it all.

My prediction for the upcoming game - OSU 45, ND 38. Should be a very entertaining game with a ton of offensive highlights on both sides

No they won't. Their issues on defense are tied to the recruits they have. There is no leader to get them in position, they freelance, they play out of position. The new defense is actually very similar to the old defense only more complex. I expect 1 step forward two back this year... In three years this defense will be elite but not close this year.
They have very good recruits. Higher rated than ours

You're wasting your time replying to that guy. He firmly believes the defense will be the same as last year and keeps coming back to the Michigan game. It's almost as if he's pointing to what Michigan did and said we can do that but better.

First, I have no side in the ND-OSU game this year. Should be a good one to watch, however.

But I do disagree with the title of this thread - OSU has real problems on defense. I agree that last year (and 2020) their defense was a total disaster. But didn't they replace the whole defensive staff minus their DL coach (can't think of his name) and I think he's ancient and close to retiring. I believe OSU shelled out a ton of money to get those coaches.,,,,2 million (?) to the new DC. Didn't they also fire one of their offensive position coaches ?

My point: I'm in a wait and see mode with OSU's defense. Let's be honest, they can't be any worse than 2020 and 2021. If they - and a BIG IF - can field just a little above average defense this year, they have the offensive fire power to win it all.

My prediction for the upcoming game - OSU 45, ND 38. Should be a very entertaining game with a ton of offensive highlights on both sides
We got rid of all coaches on the back 7 plus our offensive line coach and replaced them with DC Jim Knowles (Oklahoma State, linebackers), Perry Eliano from Cincinnati, who coached the 2 good corners that got drafted, including their top 10 pick, he's coaching safeties here (3 safety system), Tim Walton (Jacksonville Jaguars, former Buckeye in the 90s, coaching corners), and Justin Frye (UCLA, offensive line)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT