ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

There's no doubt that Notre Dame's plan will be to control the clock and run the ball. Ohio State will load the box and blitz all night, forcing Buchner to win the game by himself. Pretty tall task IMO. Knowles won't sit back and let Notre Dame run it down their throat, he'll attack and play high risk schemes knowing that Notre Dame's defense doesn't have a prayer to stop the Buckeye offense.
If what you are saying is true, then why should ND even bother playing teams like OSU???

But I will play along.

OSU will not load the box. Loading the box every play is something inexperienced fans like to say. They will not keep only 1 safety back the whole game.

Watch the Michigan game. Michigan ran for what 289 yards? Did OSI load the box then? Nope!!!

OSU will not load the box against anyone.

Reactions: mirer03
If what you are saying is true, then why should ND even bother playing teams like OSU???

But I will play along.

OSU will not load the box. Loading the box every play is something inexperienced fans like to say. They will not keep only 1 safety back the whole game.

Watch the Michigan game. Michigan ran for what 289 yards? Did OSI load the box then? Nope!!!

OSU will not load the box against anyone.
They have a new DC. you don't know what they are going to do

He's right. Ball controll is worthless in modern college football. Michigan was an anomaly not the way last year and was bouyed by the fact that osus defense sucked cock, something they have to prove has changed this year.

Notre Dame will not play ball control and OSU will not load the box. ND is going to pass the ball. Osu's second level is horrible until proven otherwise. The mismatch is mayer, OSU has no one that can cover him. Notre Dame will use the pass and rpos to take what OSU gives them.

That's kinda why message boards(Rivals) were started. For fun debate among competitors.

Going to another team's board to stir the pot? Totally agree.

Echo chambers aren't much fun.
Competitors?

They have a new DC. you don't know what they are going to do

What??? ND played against the guy’s defense, right?

509 passing yards

He's right. Ball controll is worthless in modern college football. Michigan was an anomaly not the way last year and was bouyed by the fact that osus defense sucked cock, something they have to prove has changed this year.
Notre Dame will not play ball control and OSU will not load the box. ND is going to pass the ball. Osu's second level is horrible until proven otherwise. The mismatch is mayer, OSU has no one that can cover him. Notre Dame will use the pass and rpos to take what OSU gives them.
So, will ND pass the ball more than run??? The only way they do that is if they go down big early. ND will not win a shootout against OSU.

So, will ND pass the ball more than run??? The only way they do that is if they go down big early. ND will not win a shootout against OSU.
They will be balanced and try to read the defense. If they cheat up (Knowles is very aggressive) the Buchner will be expected to pull out the hand off and throw. They absolutely will not go in there trying to eat clock and limit possessions. All that does is get you down by 14 before you know what happened.

What I am looking for from Buchner is....if he has no receiver open, and the "tuck and run" isn't there...He needs to get rid of the ball quickly, out of bounds or away from the defense. Ian Book had that dimension to his game...he wasn't stuck in the either/or situation very often...meaning, he could avoid the sack and potential injury or fumble that goes with it. Buchner needs to have a full command of the football. I can envision tOSU crowding the receivers early...forcing Buchner to run on a pass designed play. He needs to run when he wants to....not when he needs to.

It's the exact same system with all the same assistants. The only difference was the play caller
He wasn't there for the game.

I said we don't know what he's going to do at OSU. He said yes we do, we played against him in the bowl game.

He didn't coach the bowl game.

And the play caller and his gameplan and in game adjustments are huge. We didn't face Knowles. Totally different

Maybe news but there's a hell of a lot more talent on the Ohio State roster than Oklahoma State
Didn't show.

Moreover every single school Knowles has coached at has regressed in year one as they learn the nuances of his version of the defense. They then get better and better peaking in about three years.

OSU fans ignore history because surely their talent will make up for it... But it has yet to be demonstrated at any stop by Knowles. I don't think the average psu football player is smarter than the average okst player and certainly not as smart as the average Duke players ..

History says expect there to be mistakes this year

Didn't show.

Moreover every single school Knowles has coached at has regressed in year one as they learn the nuances of his version of the defense. They then get better and better peaking in about three years.

OSU fans ignore history because surely their talent will make up for it... But it has yet to be demonstrated at any stop by Knowles. I don't think the average psu football player is smarter than the average okst player and certainly not as smart as the average Duke players ..

History says expect there to be mistakes this year
You can also say none of those teams had near the talent of osu so he'll be starting in a much better spot

No one knows for sure whats going to happen with their D

They have the talent and the coach to have an elite defense

They are also learning a new scheme so it could take some time.

Either one is plausible

We wont find out til sept but either outcome would not be a surprise at all

You can also say none of those teams had near the talent of osu so he'll be starting in a much better spot

No one knows for sure whats going to happen with their D

They have the talent and the coach to have an elite defense

They are also learning a new scheme so it could take some time.

Either one is plausible

We wont find out til sept but either outcome would not be a surprise at all
I think it's fair to say that they might make some great plays but that athleticism doesn't make up for missed assignments, missed reads, and time in the system.

Especially in game 1.

I think it's fair to say that they might make some great plays but that athleticism doesn't make up for missed assignments, missed reads, and time in the system.

Especially in game 1.
If they have those. They may or may not

No. They didn't.

He didn't coach them for the Bowl Game

Good one though
So he never developed and coached that defense???

How about the Oklahoma game? Was that on him? 41-13 giving up 500 total yards???

No one knows how well he will do at OSU.

He did what with the Cowboys? 1 strong season last year? Check the points they gave up in 20/21. High 30’s and 40’s.

But I know, you say the opposite of everything I say so….

So he never developed and coached that defense???

How about the Oklahoma game? Was that on him? 41-13 giving up 500 total yards???

No one knows how well he will do at OSU.

He did what with the Cowboys? 1 strong season last year? Check the points they gave up in 20/21. High 30’s and 40’s.

But I know, you say the opposite of everything I say so….
Yes he coached that defense for the year. And they were really really good. He did not coach them for the bowl game. Thus, we did not face him. Not hard to understand. They finished 9th last yr in ppg

They beat Oklahoma last year 37 to 33. So I dont know what you're talking about there

In 21, they ranked 34th in ppg

Yes he coached that defense for the year. And they were really really good. He did not coach them for the bowl game. Thus, we did not face him. Not hard to understand. They finished 9th last yr in ppg

They beat Oklahoma last year 37 to 33. So I dont know what you're talking about there

In 21, they ranked 34th in ppg
I looked at his record as a DC at OK st. Had 1 top year. The rest was average or below average. DC at Duke before that. Not sure why the hype??? Arrived at OK St in 2018.

I was referencing the 2020/21 season when Oklahoma destroyed them and they gave up 40 plus points multiple times.

I looked at his record as a DC at OK st. Had 1 top year. The rest was average or below average. DC at Duke before that. Not sure why the hype??? Arrived at OK St in 2018.

I was referencing the 2020/21 season when Oklahoma destroyed them and they gave up 40 plus points multiple times.
He took a defense that was literally dead last in the country at Oklahoma State and turned them into a top 5 overall unit in a relatively short time, using three star players. He's universally respected by his peers for his ability to scheme and make adjustments and now he has access to talent that he could never dream of getting elsewhere. To try and say Knowles is some schlep that doesn't know what he's doing is ludicrous and shows no ability to think rationally. The problems that plagued OSU last year were directly placed at the inept staff and their inability to put players in the right spots or make in-game adjustments (see Oregon game). Kerry Coombs, who had never coordinated a defense before, was basically fired after that game and replaced by a guy that admitted he didn't even feel comfortable calling that type of defense. That on top of being one of the youngest teams in college football. Now if you want to see an incompetent idiot, let's talk about Al Washington.

So are you saying he's an everest DC. Is that your end game here?

He took a defense that was literally dead last in the country at Oklahoma State and turned them into a top 5 overall unit in a relatively short time, using three star players. He's universally respected by his peers for his ability to scheme and make adjustments and now he has access to talent that he could never dream of getting elsewhere. To try and say Knowles is some schlep that doesn't know what he's doing is ludicrous and shows no ability to think rationally. The problems that plagued OSU last year were directly placed at the inept staff and their inability to put players in the right spots or make in-game adjustments (see Oregon game). Kerry Coombs, who had never coordinated a defense before, was basically fired after that game and replaced by a guy that admitted he didn't even feel comfortable calling that type of defense. That on top of being one of the youngest teams in college football. Now if you want to see an incompetent idiot, let's talk about Al Washington.
So, he had one good season and everyone is anointing him the top DC in the country?

1 season he had a top 5 defense. But I get it, everything is the coaches fault. Zero player accountability.

Oh okay, I thought maybe you meant the peak of the coaches mountain lol.

No, definitely not average. Good yes, game changer? Jury is out on that.

He's not. He's a great coach. However these are facts.

1. The big 12 had major downturns in offensive production while he was there. Tcu, Baylor in particular changed significantly as an example

2. It took okst three years to show significant improvement. The first year they were worse. The second about the same and the third they started getting better.

3. Okst playing a 4-2-5 (3-3-5) in the big 12 is a HUGE difference that trying to do that against Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota.

If Knowles doesn't change calls he's going to have issues

Yeah but in that history he never had near the talent as he will now at osu. There is no history for that
Here are some facts:

OSU has had a legit top 10 team for a long time.

OSU will have another top 10 team this season

Every team, OSU included, has strength’s and weaknesses.

I am simply pointing out the obvious, the OSU defense was not very good last season. That is why the whole defensive staff was fired. Just because you bring in a new staff that does not mean there will be a total 180.

As I pointed out, the OSU LBs are average at best. That will not change no matter who the DC is.

Should OSU be favored in this game??? Yes!!! However, when you really break this game down, ND has a legitimate shot.

Reactions: mbd11
Here are some facts:

OSU has had a legit top 10 team for a long time.

OSU will have another top 10 team this season

Every team, OSU included, has strength’s and weaknesses.

I am simply pointing out the obvious, the OSU defense was not very good last season. That is why the whole defensive staff was fired. Just because you bring in a new staff that does not mean there will be a total 180.

As I pointed out, the OSU LBs are average at best. That will not change no matter who the DC is.

Should OSU be favored in this game??? Yes!!! However, when you really break this game down, ND has a legitimate shot.
I agree we have a legitimate shot

But look at us with bvg. Our defense stunk but everyone knew we had more talent than our results. We made a change and instantly improved.

That could happen with them because they are very talented. We'll see

I agree, coaching changes can work. However, I will continue to question the talent OSU has at LB.

There's no doubt that Notre Dame's plan will be to control the clock and run the ball. Ohio State will load the box and blitz all night, forcing Buchner to win the game by himself. Pretty tall task IMO. Knowles won't sit back and let Notre Dame run it down their throat, he'll attack and play high risk schemes knowing that Notre Dame's defense doesn't have a prayer to stop the Buckeye offense.
I think this is accurate, and the questions this begs are: (1) How much improvement can ND’s O line show in game 1? I have rewatched the first six games of last year (while on the treadmill), and it’s hard to overstate how bad the O line play was. A lot of people fixated on Cohn’s supposed feet of clay, but really the O line was the culprit. Guys came free straight into the pocket on the regular, and while no one’s confusing Cohn with Lamar J., he generally had no chance on those plays. Meanwhile, we would have been sunk without Kyren. The guy was weaving gold from straw all season long, getting hit time and time and time again behind the line and then spinning, grinding and dodging his way to gains. I love Tyree and Diggs and Estime. But I have not seen anything from those guys that says they are in Kyren’s class on the make-something-from-nothing front. That said, when Tyree has holes, his production has been amazing; where most backs would get two or three yards, he gets six or seven because of speed and decisiveness. If Buchner can play a little Tebow ball, making life hard on a stacked OSU box by giving ND multiple run looks that can morph into on-the-move throws to open receivers, I like our chances. Our receivers do not carry the HS star power, it’s true. But a receiver lineup of Mayer, Lenzy, Wilkens, Stiles and Colzie has a lot of experience now. With a solid O line and a dynamic QB, receivers don’t necessarily need to be the second coming of Tedd Ginn; they just need to be in the right place. Last thing: Buchner seemed to have a great sense of the read option. His decisions of when to keep and when to handoff were excellent, in the eyes of this amateur/armchair coach. That puts a lot of pressure on a defense. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get broken in half running the ball. (2) Can ND hold up against an aerial assault at OSU? Having a great D line is great, but it can turn into a Maginot line against a balanced offensive team with a lot of receiver talent. The biggest question of the OSU game will be if we can scheme our way to making Stroud hold the ball long enough for the D line to affect him?

My personal best-case game for ND would be a version of the 1992 Sugar Bowl vs. Florida. Scheme a way into stymying the passing game, and bust a few big plays in a patient offensive game.

Yes, I know when I refer to the Maginot Line and a bowl game from 30 years ago, I show my age. While I am thinking backwards, the one thing I have NOT seen since Holtz at ND is a first-year head coach whose initial game made you KNOW that he is the real deal. I was at that 1986 Michigan game. Here’s hoping for a W rather than an L for coach Free. But let’s also remember there are a lot of ways to win in the early days of a new coach’s tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT